Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-12-2014, 04:11 AM   #61
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: John Cadogan, Josh Dowlings twin?

http://youtu.be/ab1rpq2p7XI

If this is the Ad you’re talking about I can’t see one reason why I should buy it compared to the other vehicles shown.

All it says is the Territory is for real people and the BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and Audi are not.

To me it says more about the difference in the buyer’s demographic and price point than anything else.

I could be rude and say is Ford seriously pushing its Bogan appeal.

That’s a comparison I would have thought they’d want to run from.

Why not advertise it as an alternative to the high priced SUV’s shown and steer clear of the class war.

It’s the Bogan appeal that turns Aussie buyers away from the local Manufacturers, why on earth highlight it.

I obviously totally missed the point of the ad.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #62
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
Oh dear, how embarrassing. Ford Aus marketing department has lost the plot!

It's actually the strong points against the big-selling Toyota/Hyundai etc imports they should be chasing after. They had a good campaign on this front several years ago, bringing out the point that the others (the Asian brands) were poorly-designed "trucks" compared to the Territory. That was right on the ball. This one is simply an own goal in a match against brands that are little threat to the Territory.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #63
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
Here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zROXiD5ouTU

I have been commenting under the name "freeridemachine". My objective was the fact he had not even driven the car, nor made a review on the driving experience.

I tried to keep it civil and offered NO personal attacks but he has just proven what an insecure idiot he is. One of his comments have been removed due to his swearing attack on me. He clearly cannot have a civil discussion with someone who offers a difference of opinion.

In fact, all I wanted was a review of the car based on how it actually drove and felt. I guess according to him, that's not exactly what a review is.
He said the car's dynamics a great?

Everything else is true also and just a reflection of the R& D budget.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #64
Agile

As a 10 year territory owner, thats right, 10 years, I can only say that the Territory has been a GREAT SUV. In fact the best ever designed and built in Aus. Beyond doubt and can never be disputed. But unfortunately this guy is right in one respect. The compertition has caught up and sort of gone past the beloved Ford Territory. I aint going to go into a lengthy bla bla about it but he is ABSOLUTELY correct to give FORD OF AMERICA a huge serve. If this had been a global product FORD OF AUSTRALIA would have created and evolved a class leading SUV. Typical corporate multinational mind set is what killed the Territory and car manufacturing in Aus. Thanks Henry Jnr.
John C isnt the problem. Ford are.
Agile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #65
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:

If this is the Ad you’re talking about I can’t see one reason why I should buy it compared to the other vehicles shown.

All it says is the Territory is for real people and the BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and Audi are not.

To me it says more about the difference in the buyer’s demographic and price point than anything else.

Why not advertise it as an alternative to the high priced SUV’s shown and steer clear of the class war.

It’s the Bogan appeal that turns Aussie buyers away from the local Manufacturers, why on earth highlight it.

Pretty sure I don't see one bit of "bogan" in this add. But I do see ford pointing out that maybe a terry is a car that can actually be used as a daily kids battle wagon.....and cheaply. (Compared to the Porsche and merc for eg). That's what I see. But then I'm putting aside all the hate and agendas people have for ford aus lately and am commenting on the add solely!

It's not far off the turbo terri add that had it eating supercars. Clever I thought.

IMHO
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #66
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh, don't start me on this douche bag...Too late!

This guy is a self professed car 'expert' without any real motoring expertise to speak of, he claims to be some sort of 'engineer' as well.

I've taken him to task on one of his videos, this is when he justified his opinion as he asked a 'couple expert mates' about the subject. Then went of to abuse me, tell me my opinion is worth less than his as he has 'youtube' channel with thousand of views!

I actually started compiling some credible evidence to combat this cretin, but he stopped posting on the subject. He is a moron, lacks any credibility is not even remotely marketable as a journalist and is an angry little man to top it off.

Seriously, just launch an offensive on his channel. He'll probably cry!
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 10:57 PM   #67
OCTANEBOSS

Talking Re: John Cadogan, Josh Dowlings twin?

[QUOTE=BadMax;5286840]Oh, don't start me on this douche bag...Too late!

This guy is a self professed car 'expert' without any real motoring expertise to speak of, he claims to be some sort of 'engineer' as well.

An "expert" is a drip under pressure. Any good engineer would tell you that. Trouble is he ain't an engineers a**hole because if he was any good at it he would be still doing it full time. He is just a drip working for some tabloid journo,s getting paid by overseas car manufacturers that are brilliant in copying and reproducing other peoples products at a much cheaper price unfortunately.

Cardogan -

A cadogan was a knot of hair worn on the nape of the neck. The 19th century Macaronis wore an extensive cadogan. The fashion originated among French ladies and was instigated from a popular print of the first earl of Cadogan, and was introduced at the court of Montbeliard by the Duchess de Bourbon

Maybe he is such a wan*** because he knows a lot about knots & hair & dosent have any... sorry merry Christmas all AFF members
OCTANEBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #68
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Oh dear, how embarrassing. Ford Aus marketing department has lost the plot!

It's actually the strong points against the big-selling Toyota/Hyundai etc imports they should be chasing after. They had a good campaign on this front several years ago, bringing out the point that the others (the Asian brands) were poorly-designed "trucks" compared to the Territory. That was right on the ball. This one is simply an own goal in a match against brands that are little threat to the Territory.
I like the ad. It shows the luxury features of the seats and how easy it accommodates the family. Its not a bogan image they are pushing. They are peddling the dont be one of the pretentious brand snobs and see that the Terri can hold its own against all those brands without the snobbery.

All those other brand owners come across as Owner Operators.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #69
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats wrong with bogans anyway.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #70
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I watched a few videos and he does seem to be bit of a self righteous git.

Seems to be trying to be like Jeremy Clarkson but just falling short

Is he a paid Mazda employee?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #71
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agile View Post
As a 10 year territory owner, thats right, 10 years, I can only say that the Territory has been a GREAT SUV. In fact the best ever designed and built in Aus. Beyond doubt and can never be disputed. But unfortunately this guy is right in one respect. The compertition has caught up and sort of gone past the beloved Ford Territory. I aint going to go into a lengthy bla bla about it but he is ABSOLUTELY correct to give FORD OF AMERICA a huge serve. If this had been a global product FORD OF AUSTRALIA would have created and evolved a class leading SUV. Typical corporate multinational mind set is what killed the Territory and car manufacturing in Aus. Thanks Henry Jnr.
John C isnt the problem. Ford are.
You got it in one. When they put in the One Ford replacement, it will be invisible in the curent crowded market, without the unique Aussie engineered cache, and priced in ever-more-expensive USD!

Long time owner, reading the Cadogan review, he's gone sensational in the wording but there's truth to the issues (suspension, balljoints). I posted our experience in another thread - very good overall - so won't repeat. In 2004 the car was an absolute revelation and totally wrong footed the market, creating the 'flexibility' niche in the SUV market. RWD/AWD, 5/7 seats, storage, car like ride/handling without a truck, etc etc. COTY 2004. They nailed it.

Mostly he's right on the resale. If our Territory had as good resale as our Jayco caravan - which we could sell for very close to what we bought it at - I would have bought 5 Territories by now. Next time, as much as I love the ride/handling of the Territory, I'll buy the best quality, best warranty, best resale.
Old 21-12-2014, 12:38 AM   #72
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Pretty sure I don't see one bit of "bogan" in this add. But I do see ford pointing out that maybe a terry is a car that can actually be used as a daily kids battle wagon.....and cheaply. (Compared to the Porsche and merc for eg). That's what I see. But then I'm putting aside all the hate and agendas people have for ford aus lately and am commenting on the add solely!

It's not far off the turbo terri add that had it eating supercars. Clever I thought.

IMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
I like the ad. It shows the luxury features of the seats and how easy it accommodates the family. Its not a bogan image they are pushing. They are peddling the dont be one of the pretentious brand snobs and see that the Terri can hold its own against all those brands without the snobbery.

All those other brand owners come across as Owner Operators.
I see the ad without rose coloured glasses in a way most potential buyers would.

The makers of the Ford ad have taken 4 high priced SUV’s and the only angle they've come up with is to attack them by using over the top stereotyping of their owners.

Given the public perception of the local brands is already low, potential buyers won’t be fooled into thinking I’m not purchasing an Audi or a Porsche because everyone will think I’m a poonce.

I’ll write it loudly, you market the good points of your product against the competition, not attack the buyers of other brands.

If this strategy works I look forward to seeing a lot of new Territory’s driving around the streets with their owners smiling out the windows with a quarter of an orange stuck in their mouths.

If this ad had passed across my desk for approval I would have sent it back with a note saying, try again, with a withering market share we can’t afford to be using risky tactics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERG_51
Whats wrong with bogans anyway.
From a marketing point of view, selling the Bogan persona in Australia to the general public is retail suicide.

Not everyone but in general it’s a case of they’re fun to laugh at but I wouldn’t want to be one.
Old 21-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #73
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post

IMHO
I see what your getting at and agree that that's what the add is saying

But you can do the same in many other better equipped on paper for less $$$$$

So why a territory, and not a Hyundai, kea Mitsubishi or Nissan? If it's just a mum a fist full of kids and a bucket of oranges why the territory?

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #74
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In that ad, Ford is simply blowing its advertising budget targeting the wrong demographic. Nobody who can afford a $70-100,000 SUV is going to buy one in the $40-60 range. They should be going after their direct competitors.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #75
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’ll concede the ad draws differing opinions from viewers and as I said earlier I obviously don’t get it and that to me reinforces the ad as a risk.

As others have said, Ford would have been better served talking up the Territory’s good points by showing how well it performs against its real competitors and left the class war in the comic failure draw.

The only thing I would say was a positive from my personal view is the Territory is the best looker of the whole bunch but if I could afford it, I’d probably go for the Porsche.
Old 21-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #76
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's people like him that helped destroy the Australian car industry!
Old 21-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #77
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I’ll concede the ad draws differing opinions from viewers and as I said earlier I obviously don’t get it and that to me reinforces the ad as a risk.

As others have said, Ford would have been better served talking up the Territory’s good points by showing how well it performs against its real competitors and left the class war in the comic failure draw.

The only thing I would say was a positive from my personal view is the Territory is the best looker of the whole bunch but if I could afford it, I’d probably go for the Porsche.
I guess I'm wasting time trying to analyse that ad too deeply but it looks like the other cars are an X5, GL and Cayenne. The only "competitive" point that Ford seems to be making here is the Territory's 7 seats. But the X5 and GL also have the Territory's size and a 7 seat option.

Not sure about the Porsche although Google comes up with photos of 7 seat Cayennes so it must be done. So what exactly is the point of the ad?

Of course ever since I came to this forum a decade ago we've always been complaining about Ford's marketing so I guess it's true to form! Ford doesn't need Cadogan to shoot it in the foot - it does a pretty good job on itself
Old 21-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #78
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Funny to think we are debating Fords choice of advertising, AGAIN.
Old 21-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #79
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still reckon the best territory ad was the one showing all the large SUVs pulling up to the school yard, overdubbed with air brake & big rig horn noises, then Alex Lloyd's song "amazing" starts up, and the "car like" territory drives in.

This new one is also going to be memorable for poking fun at the stereotypes. Just like ads that poke fun at bogans, this one pokes fun at the "princesses" obsessed by badge image. It's funny, because it's true for a niche of society.

We all know that very few owners of those circa-$100k SUVs are truly like that, but there are a small number who are, and if Ford didn't poke fun at them, other Aussies with their feet firmly on the ground certainly would.......

I simply see it as Ford being part of the light hearted coffee machine humour that goes on in workplaces all over this country.

Maybe the next ad should be all about people who are mortgaged to the hilt to afford their status symbol house, SUV, boat etc? The pretentious "eyeball image" niche of society - eyeball because they're mortgaged to the eyeballs.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #80
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
I still reckon the best territory ad was the one showing all the large SUVs pulling up to the school yard, overdubbed with air brake & big rig horn noises, then Alex Lloyd's song "amazing" starts up, and the "car like" territory drives in.
So true. Such a good add. In fact Ford could use the original sound track and overlay pics of new prado Kia Jeep and ypits would still hold true today.

Fords biggest issue remains, that outside of these forums, it's not cool to be driving a Ford.
Old 21-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #81
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's exactly the ad I was referring to. This is what they should be running again, targeting the rubbish that outsells the Territory but shouldn't on their merits like Kluger, Captiva, Jeep.

Badge snobbery isn't relevant. If you have 100 grand you want to spend you're not going to spend it on something less anyway regardless of brand.
Old 21-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #82
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Marketing is one of the most important aspects of product success along with good after sales and customer service.

Good marketing can sell a bad product, vice versa, bad marketing can cause a good product to fall by the wayside.

When you’re out of favour it’s best to stick with the safe, tried and tested formula of present the good points of a good product and why it offers good value.

Leave the fancy tongue in cheek stuff for when you’re a market leader and your followers are at a point where their strength in numbers allows them to laugh at the competition.

You won’t get the buyers of the Territory’s competitors to sit up and take notice if it’s poking fun at high end brands that people aspire too.

Particularly if the one poking fun is already on the nose with consumers.

It doesn’t matter how good or bad those high end brands are, how good or bad a value they are or how full of it their stereotypical owners are, they have appeal simply because of a badge.

That’s an appeal every product wants to achieve.

Would you point out the good points of your competitors in your ad?

No, so leave those aspirational brands out of your ad as well.

You will get the buyers of the competitors to take notice if they start to see the Territory has a lot of good stuff to offer and its value makes a sensible alternative.

People may say it a failure in marketing but my experience tells me it’s a failure of management for approving a strategy out of focus with the market position.
Old 21-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #83
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
That's exactly the ad I was referring to. This is what they should be running again, targeting the rubbish that outsells the Territory but shouldn't on their merits like Kluger, Captiva, Jeep.

Badge snobbery isn't relevant. If you have 100 grand you want to spend you're not going to spend it on something less anyway regardless of brand.
Here is a one of of the comparison tests of usual suspects in larger SUV category - competition is pretty stiff.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/281247/f...uv-comparison/
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #84
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]
People may say it a failure in marketing but my experience tells me it’s a failure of management for approving a strategy out of focus with the market position.
And this is why tucking in American CEO's to run a company in Australia is such a bad idea. They have little local market knowledge and go's some way in explaining the high turn over of top executives at Holden and Ford over the last decade.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #85
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The diesel is geriatric it should have the latest Land Rover 3l diesel in it , then it would be able to compete, with the latest diesels. Spec level isn't good compared to similar on the market. Ford dropped the ball on Falcon and Territory...
Old 25-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #86
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^ No need to go on about it, especially 4 months after the last post. We know their shortcomings.

Let them die gracefully.
Old 25-04-2015, 11:07 PM   #87
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

John Cadogan is the experimental love child. Between Joshua Dowling and Even Green, (The reporter who kill the Australian Muscle Super Cars of the 1970's).
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2015, 11:08 PM   #88
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
^^^^ No need to go on about it, especially 4 months after the last post. We know their shortcomings.

Let them die gracefully.
CSV8 has got the pillow over Ford's face
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #89
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
John Cadogan is the experimental love child. Between Joshua Dowling and Even Green, (The reporter who kill the Australian Muscle Super Cars of the 1970's).
Evan Green can't be compared with those desk warriors, he was a very experienced rally driver.

I'll be controversial here and say that he did Australian road fatality statistics a favour. Those cars at that time were evil-handling, technologically underdeveloped beasts with poor primary and secondary safety. On the racetrack in the hands of professionals was one thing, in the hands of unskilled drivers on the road was another. And wasn't it about making certain cars eligible to race by selling minimum numbers to the public? Pretty irresponsible of those manufacturers really. They had a hell of a lot more work to do to make them safe road cars and they weren't trying really hard on that front. That took them about another 20 years.
Old 26-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #90
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AutoExpertTV 3 months ago
+Thomas Bywater 'Lemon' is way too kind in my view. 'Geriatric *******' is better. That car is a joke.
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post