Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #61
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default Re: LS3 for final Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike View Post
Aren't Commodores for people who can't reverse park? I prefer to use my steering wheel when I'm reverse parking my GT lol.
park you car in any local shopping centre you'll wish every driver had reverse park assist.

a lot less dents in every cars parked....

PS: no offence to women drivers, as this post would end up as natural conclusion...
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #62
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

1st post, I hate Commodores...
5th post, I hate Commodores...

Friggin school holidays.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #63
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone has a first post, I don't think he's really stated his opinion in a particularly bad way compared with some on here...
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #64
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
Everyone has a first post, I don't think he's really stated his opinion in a particularly bad way compared with some on here...
Lol, a first post which begins with Holdon Crummidore, on a Ford forum, and there is no desire to drum up support.

Seen it a hundred times before, nearly always during school holidays, make of that what you will.

having said that, Birds of a feather...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #65
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

*shrug* is it really the end of the world?

You speak of school holidays bringing this about, is your own post much more mature? Make of that what you will...
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #66
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a drive of a Commodore station wagon a week or so ago. It was a fleet car so it has been driven by a number of people and it only receives basic cleaning and maintenance.

I found the cloth trim running across the front of the dashboard to be tatty looking and detracts from the look of the dash even when the dash is clean.

The electric park brake is not intuitive to use but I'd probably get used to it if I drove the car more.

Engine and transmission were OK for city motoring.

To be honest, I prefer driving the Camry Hybrid!

The fleet has no Fords unfortunately.

The worst car I've driven was the Toyota Prius, comes across as very cheap and nasty on the inside and all the driving controls felt dull and lifeless. The Mitsubishi electric car runs a close second.

I've heard rumours of a Tesla coming; I bet there'll be a queue to drive that one!
Old 18-12-2014, 01:48 AM   #67
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, am I correct in my understanding that the Holden engines are made in Mexico and it is pot luck on whether you get a good one with fine tolerances or a poor one with tolerances that are more annoying than a loose fly.

Think I will take a handbuilt Miami engine crafted by proud aussies in Geelong working in pristine factories thank you kindly....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #68
HULK_I6T
Banned

An ls3 in a ss commodore will be almost in impossible offer to resist.

theres just something about a big displacement motor under the hood.. 6.2 litres of it..

i know the xr8 will be faster but it has a lil 5.0 and the rest of the car is dinosaur like. The falcosaurus perhaps?

ive tried other methods... the 4.0l turbo is fast but it dont have the street presence and emotive feel of a big rumbling v8... if its a coat of paint slower tjan the miami or i6t i can live with that... most of the time your not driving at WOT and there are plenty if mods for ls3 motors too.

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 18-12-2014 at 09:41 AM.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #69
zilo
BANNED

Probably overstating the obvious...

Two years is a long time in the petrol pricing environment.

20L/100km will hurt even the most enthusiastic buyer if fuel hits $1.80/L + again.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #70
Uwish

Have to agree with Hulk!
Uwish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #71
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX310 View Post
http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2014...-last-ss-46791

Commodore to bow out with a bang, but 6.2-litre SS will be Holden's last rear-drive V8 sports sedan

Holden is saving its best for last. motoring.com.au can now reveal the local GM arm will bless the final, MY16 Commodore with GM's bigger, more powerful 6.2-litre LS3 V8.

The official confirmation of the engine swap is months away, but the deal is done and dusted. Holden insiders says V8 are set to comprise up to half the Commodore sold as production of the rear-drive big Aussie is wound down ahead of its cessation of local production in 2017.
Hearing a bit about an 8 speed auto that bolts straight up to the 6.2 -

Quote:
For starters, the 2015 Hydra-Matic 8L90 (M5U) eight-speed RWD automatic transaxle is made from lightweight and durable materials such as aluminum and magnesium. Despite its modest size, the GM-developed unit shaves 0.1 seconds off the 0 to 60 mph (96 km/h) run, which now comes in only 3.7 seconds. The paddle-shift eight speed automatic transmission helps the 6.2-liter LT1 V8 put 455 horsepower (or 460 with the highly recommended optional performance exhaust) to the rear wheels.

Fuel consumption? We have that bit of info as well. With the new gearbox, the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray is 3.5 percent better on fuel

Packaging is within that of the GM 6L80 design, allowing for ease of application integration. The overall result is a robust, compact, and cost effective transmission which offers significant fuel economy and performance benefit, over its six speed counterpart, and shall provide an attractive balance of overall metrics in the automatic transmission market.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #72
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post

theres just something about a big displacement motor under the hood.. 6.2 litres of it..

i know the xr8 will be faster but it has a lil 5.0 and the rest of the car is dinosaur like. The falcosaurus perhaps?

ive tried other methods... the 4.0l turbo is fast but it dont have the street presence and emotive feel of a big rumbling v8... if its a coat of paint slower tjan the miami or i6t i can live with that... most of the time your not driving at WOT and there are plenty if mods for ls3 motors too.
Its funny how the one with the multi valve, dohc, high tech motor is considered the dinosaur.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #73
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

Miami in SS
Old 18-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #74
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Its funny how the one with the multi valve, dohc, high tech motor is considered the dinosaur.
A car is more than just a motor. Also multi valve DOHC motors are not considered cutting edge, they were around even in the 80's.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #75
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A car is more than just a motor. Also multi valve DOHC motors are not considered cutting edge, they were around even in the 80's.
Yeah- I got a camry V6 from 98 with 4 valves per cylinder.

But-an all alloy 32 valve quad overhead cam V8 with variable timing is sure a lot more modern than a pushrod 16 valve big block V8.

A supercharger is icing on top- oh yeah- second world war fighter planes used superchargers so that must also be useless as well eh....

If you love 4 valve per cylinder overhead cam engines, which I love (the sound- ripping tearing air stuff that sounds like 2 chainsaws having a go at one another) outside of AMG/Audi and Jag with the 5 litre supercharged unit and other exotics- the Miami and coyote is in pretty rare company.

Some guys/girls like big block 2 valve stuff, different sound, for me I find the Holden stuff muddy/woofy/boring sounding- but I like that AMG C63 cackle and rip, which the miami has (slightly less deep but then with the forced super charger twist).

And yes- a car is more than the engine, but an engine is the heart and soul of it.....I would rather have a car with crap handling and brakes but an engine that gives me a buzz....than a car with fantastic brakes/chassis but a rubber band for an engine that would not pull the skin off a rice pudding- but then that's what makes the world go round, we all got different tastes and aesthetics

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 18-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #76
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

@ everyone who says a car is more than just the motor.

Who here would pass up the opportunity to have a an oldschool 351 Falcon because the handling blows?

We are talking about V8's here.

Can you really say if you were in your SS with your big block lumpy V8 with heated seats, park assist, heated cup holders, heated mirrors etc... lined up next to a Miami and you got absolutely creamed, you'd still be content?

Yeah, sure. 99.9% of SS drivers I see on the road want to have a crack at the lights or tailgate me in traffic. You can't tell me that handling matters in these circumstances? Going to outsteer them on a roundabout? I bet they would be very impressed
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
stazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 06:41 PM   #77
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post
Yeah, sure. 99.9% of SS drivers I see on the road want to have a crack at the lights or tailgate me in traffic.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #78
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Street presence will be driving an Xr8 and every holden driver knowing that it will spank their stock LS3. Heck. They already know now.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #79
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Well, am I correct in my understanding that the Holden engines are made in Mexico and it is pot luck on whether you get a good one with fine tolerances or a poor one with tolerances that are more annoying than a loose fly.

Think I will take a handbuilt Miami engine crafted by proud aussies in Geelong working in pristine factories thank you kindly....
You’re probably not right about the pot luck in tolerances in modern LS engines as those days are long past.

GM had to seriously up the ante due to the disastrous fallout in the U.S. because of the slap happy LS1.

That’s not to say you won’t get failures as that’s a given for all manufactured products.

And of cause Australia is renowned worldwide for its quality workmanship.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #80
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
Street presence will be driving an Xr8 and every holden driver knowing that it will spank their stock LS3. Heck. They already know now.
Same goes for the i6t, it doesn't need noise to announce it's presence.
Old 18-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #81
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
that's 1880's...

people forget that pushrods are the modern tech, DOHC is actually really old school.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #82
1TUFFUTE
Banned

[QUOTE=HULK_I6T; and the rest of the car is dinosaur like.
.[/QUOTE]

Think you missed this bit BOSSXR8
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 09:55 PM   #83
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

You guys are so lost. Its more like the majority of SS drivers dont care what cars others are driving.

With that attitude its seems the shoe is on the other foot.

And its not the engine thats the dinosaur, its just the rest of the car.

Just take a look at the diff bush, useless in 2002. Now its 2015 nearly and its still the same. That sums it all up really.......

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #84
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
You’re probably not right about the pot luck in tolerances in modern LS engines as those days are long past.

GM had to seriously up the ante due to the disastrous fallout in the U.S. because of the slap happy LS1.

That’s not to say you won’t get failures as that’s a given for all manufactured products.

And of cause Australia is renowned worldwide for its quality workmanship.
i take exception to your little rolling lols
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #85
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
But you contradict yourself by saying if the SS had an LS3 it would be so much better. But a car is more than just a motor????

If you've actually built one from a bare block you would know the Coyote/Miami is a pretty trick bit of kit. Stuff like Kevlar windage tray that doubles as a sump gasket, 6 bolt bottom end, beautiful forged crank, bay to bay breathing ports that reduce pumping losses, intake ports that give a near straight shot at the valves etc. It's a thoroughly modern design, with a lot of input from Ford Racings NASCAR engine builders.

And yeah, so what if the VF has some gimmicky extras. No doubt 95% of buyers would use them once and never touch them again i'll bet.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 10:17 PM   #86
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

True about some of the VF extras. I done use the reverse parking thing.

BUT I here the women love it....

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 11:02 PM   #87
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Yeah- I got a camry V6 from 98 with 4 valves per cylinder.

But-an all alloy 32 valve quad overhead cam V8 with variable timing is sure a lot more modern than a pushrod 16 valve big block V8.

A supercharger is icing on top- oh yeah- second world war fighter planes used superchargers so that must also be useless as well eh....

If you love 4 valve per cylinder overhead cam engines, which I love (the sound- ripping tearing air stuff that sounds like 2 chainsaws having a go at one another) outside of AMG/Audi and Jag with the 5 litre supercharged unit and other exotics- the Miami and coyote is in pretty rare company.

Some guys/girls like big block 2 valve stuff, different sound, for me I find the Holden stuff muddy/woofy/boring sounding- but I like that AMG C63 cackle and rip, which the miami has (slightly less deep but then with the forced super charger twist).

And yes- a car is more than the engine, but an engine is the heart and soul of it.....I would rather have a car with crap handling and brakes but an engine that gives me a buzz....than a car with fantastic brakes/chassis but a rubber band for an engine that would not pull the skin off a rice pudding- but then that's what makes the world go round, we all got different tastes and aesthetics
The LS3 is not a big block...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2014, 12:00 AM   #88
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
But you contradict yourself by saying if the SS had an LS3 it would be so much better. But a car is more than just a motor????

If you've actually built one from a bare block you would know the Coyote/Miami is a pretty trick bit of kit. Stuff like Kevlar windage tray that doubles as a sump gasket, 6 bolt bottom end, beautiful forged crank, bay to bay breathing ports that reduce pumping losses, intake ports that give a near straight shot at the valves etc. It's a thoroughly modern design, with a lot of input from Ford Racings NASCAR engine builders.

And yeah, so what if the VF has some gimmicky extras. No doubt 95% of buyers would use them once and never touch them again i'll bet.
I do not understand half of what you are on about, (would love to have you explain it to me in diagrams- I am a visual kinda guy) but just make bluddy sure you put all that good stuff in my smoke XR8 manual Miami for delivery for Kloster Ford Newcastle this March, and not that small/big block crappy pushrod loose fly flapping dog woofing unit.....from Holden/Mexico

Last edited by asagaai; 19-12-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 19-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #89
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Enjoy them both while we still have them.

Ford fans calling a pushrod motor a dinosaur ffs, when some of their greatest cars and classics have used pushrod engines.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #90
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
Enjoy them both while we still have them.

Ford fans calling a pushrod motor a dinosaur ffs, when some of their greatest cars and classics have used pushrod engines.
Actually, all joking levity aside- you are right. The cleveland 351 was an absolute cracker.

And yes-we should now savour the last rear wheel drive performance v8 Holdens and Fords.....