Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #61
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Default Re: Vic club rego rule changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Whats the point of having a car if you are only going to drive it 10/15 times a year? Thats not really enjoying it.
I would certainly NOT enjoy using my Coupe as a daily driver.

With day to day living I'm lucky to average once a month getting out in the Coupe, but I love it every time. I'm sure its the same for a lot of people.

The daily commute and shopping trips are a chore - that's what my Honda is for, purely as transport and to absorb the bump n' grind of errant fellow road users as well as the inevitable shopping centre carpark dings.

The CPS was a good thing but had too many loopholes. As usual a small handfull spoiled it for the majority so you get what is about to happen. Some folks will need to spend plenty of coin to make sure their cars are compliant. Those with significant mods if done right from the get go will hopefully have a hassle free run getting their VASS for the M plates.

Any idea what a VASS check in Vic costs? I know it's a "how long is a piece of string" type of question but lets assume the car passes inspection pretty much as presented. Any ideas?

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.

Last edited by Bearman; 21-05-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Grammar
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #62
EFFalcon
Last warning

$700 seems to get thrown around a lot when talking Engineers Certs.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #63
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Whats the point of having a car if you are only going to drive it 10/15 times a year? Thats not really enjoying it.
After driving a unique car every day, or every second day, the novelty of driving that car wears off slowly. Eventually when the novelty wears off completely, the owner sells it. After all, these cars aren't nearly as comfortable to drive as current cars.

Driving my car every few weeks, the experience is the same each time it gets taken out, I'm trying to find words here, its more than enjoyable, its reinvigorating, refreshing, therapeutic. It does the same thing now as what it did 18 years ago when I bought it; probably more so now.

Then there is the other enjoyable side of owning such a car, tinkering here and there, making little improvements.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 21-05-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #64
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman View Post
Any idea what a VASS check in Vic costs? I know it's a "how long is a piece of string" type of question but lets assume the car passes inspection pretty much as presented. Any ideas?
From what I have heard it is about $1000. But I may be wrong.

Even to register a modified car under full vic reg, does it require the VASS report? I personally think registering the car under full reg or club reg should require the same process.
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #65
Hulsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Fairmont View Post

Even to register a modified car under full vic reg, does it require the VASS report? I personally think registering the car under full reg or club reg should require the same process.
Yup sure does if it is outside the VSI guidelines.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #66
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To register my unmodified LHD car (post '69) was $1500 to two inspections by an engineer.

Only stuff I changed were the obvious ADR seatbelts, headlights, rear indicators, mirrors, rear numberplate light (Aussie plates don't fit in Yank recesses .. so light needs to be moved out accordingly) ... everything else was typical Yank precursor to Australia design rules (eg. already had EGR, fuel evap, side intrusion bars, etc, etc)

BTW: Just to be pedantic .. it's a club permit, not registration. You are permitted to drive it under specific conditions. For example I believe that if you fail to pay your club dues ontime and become an unfinancial member, then theoretically you are not covered under the permit and are driving an unregistered vehicle despite the fact that you have paid the permit.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #67
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
You don't have a classic car do you!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #68
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs View Post
The only people who stuffed it up were Vicroads.Any idiot could have seen that allowing a car club official with (in most cases) no mechanical qualifications to certify a car as being safe for road use was asking for trouble..
It only applies to cars coming on the scheme, not annually with permit renewal, you are getting a bit emotional here I think
Old 21-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #69
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
You don't have a classic car do you!
Nope, the oldest I would go would be 1980s era and out of that period most likely Jap import.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #70
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
It only applies to cars coming on the scheme, not annually with permit renewal, you are getting a bit emotional here I think
I've heard some clubs are asking for inspection at each annual renewal under the current scheme .. some even asking for RWC ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #71
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
I've heard some clubs are asking for inspection at each annual renewal under the current scheme .. some even asking for RWC ..
that is an individual clubs perogative, it is not a requirement from Vicroads. A former club I was in asked for that, that is their choice
Old 21-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #72
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds View Post
Club reg is only for people who are too tight *** to pay full reg .
My NSW rego has gone from just over $1000.00 per year Inc CTP to wait for it....$57.00 per year Inc CTP. No brainer really. Only issue is NSW H plates are gay.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #73
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wrong. It makes it better actually. It makes it special. You actually enjoy DRIVING the car. If you dont own or drive a classic then you just wont get it.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #74
Autolite

I drive my car about twice a month but I dislike the club plates so much that I pay full rego just to keep my period correct black and whites. Yes it hurts at rego time but until they introduce changes that allow you to keep what you have then I will continue to do so.
Autolite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #75
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds View Post
Club reg is only for people who are too tight *** to pay full reg .
What an idiotic statement
I gather you have audited the financial position of every person that has a vehicle on club reg in Victoria to conclude we are all wealthy but don't want to part with our cash

It's blatantly obvious that you are absolutely clueless
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #76
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Nope, the oldest I would go would be 1980s era and out of that period most likely Jap import.
Each to their own for sure

Classics are brilliant fun depending on what you like and what you want out of it. In most cases ..... the ones on club plates anyway ..... are not transport! Are not A to B cars, don't take you to the shops or to drop the kids off to school.

Its when a few mates say lets go for a drive to no where in particular on a weekend, pull the roller door up, check the oil, warm up the engine for 5 minutes and just drive or catch up. That is all. Have the windows down even in Winter so you can listen to all 351 inches (in my case) and not worry about work or anything else.

The fact that we all still pay FULL Rego on the family transport and only use these cars for fun occasionally, I think we are entitled to a cheaper rego for such limited use. They are cared for, lots (shitloads) of money spent and in the scheme of road trauma factor very very minimal. When 1 is broken ....... everyone knows!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 21-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #77
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Not against people having club rego good luck to them but if some one who has a collection of 18 or more cars surely must be able to afford the costs associated to the hobby regardless how often the cars are used.
Sorry trublu, but I can't agree with you. The friend who gave me this info has late 70's and a few 80's corollas on club permit. Each one was purchased for less than a grand and in good working order. The most expensive one is his panel van which owes him with all the mods less than $3500. He will now get picked up with it and looks like the car will be put to the back of the garage and left unregistered. He can not afford to put them on vic reg so hence the club plate. Not everyone has the money for expensive toys. This system allows people to have their fun on a budget.
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2014, 12:42 AM   #78
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Sorry trublu, but I can't agree with you. The friend who gave me this info has late 70's and a few 80's corollas on club permit. Each one was purchased for less than a grand and in good working order. The most expensive one is his panel van which owes him with all the mods less than $3500. He will now get picked up with it and looks like the car will be put to the back of the garage and left unregistered. He can not afford to put them on vic reg so hence the club plate. Not everyone has the money for expensive toys. This system allows people to have their fun on a budget.
I can see your reasoning & will agree but come on 18 cars or more is a bit over the top for the average car enthusiast!
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2014, 01:43 AM   #79
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was always going to end in tears, clubs got a great scheme up and going and as usual the greedy minority wrecked it for the rest. Some of the dungers I've seen getting around on club plates makes me wonder what club official was silly enough to sign off on them. Some can't see past the end of their nose unfortunately
Old 22-05-2014, 01:47 AM   #80
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Wrong. It makes it better actually. It makes it special. You actually enjoy DRIVING the car. If you dont own or drive a classic then you just wont get it.
Unfortunately classics just aren't my cuppa tea, mate has a 1960s Compact Fairlane with a 302 under the hood that I've been passenger in a few times though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
So by that logic, driving a Camry to work everyday in heavy traffic is "enjoying" your car? I'd rather drive something interesting, somewhere interesting 15 times a year .. it would be significantly more "enjoyable".
Taking it to work on a Friday?

Taking it on a midnight Maccas/Souvlaki/Kebab run?

Going out with mates on a cruise?

You don't have to drive it every day but I reckon it wouldn't take long to hit up 90 days on your club permit.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 22-05-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2014, 03:03 AM   #81
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad View Post
Was always going to end in tears, clubs got a great scheme up and going and as usual the greedy minority wrecked it for the rest. Some of the dungers I've seen getting around on club plates makes me wonder what club official was silly enough to sign off on them. Some can't see past the end of their nose unfortunately
If the clubs were stupid enough to have schemes then they deserve the consequences, however I don't think this is the case.
I think as usual the Govco is closing any loop hole that could be exploited.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #82
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
The fact that we all still pay FULL Rego on the family transport and only use these cars for fun occasionally,
Like Heathcote ?
Old 22-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #83
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Unfortunately classics just aren't my cuppa tea, mate has a 1960s Compact Fairlane with a 302 under the hood that I've been passenger in a few times though.

Taking it to work on a Friday?

Taking it on a midnight Maccas/Souvlaki/Kebab run?

Going out with mates on a cruise?

You don't have to drive it every day but I reckon it wouldn't take long to hit up 90 days on your club permit.
I'll use myself as an example.

I have 4 Cars.
1 off the road.
2 on full reg.
1 on club Permit.

I won't drive cars i care about to work, i work in a Hospital.... Hospital carpark.. yeah no thanks.

So leaving weekends.

I've got 3 cars to choose from on weekends, so of the ~150 days (friday/sat/sun) a year

minus bad weather
minus being busy with the family
minus other life commitments
minus time spent off the road because you're tinkering with it.

I've taken my Club Permitted car out a total of about 15 times in 6 months.

If you use it more then 90 days, then fine keep it on Full Reg.
But a large majority of us don't drive them *THAT* often so 1/4 the cost and cheaper insurance seem like significant benefits to me.
Old 22-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #84
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
If the clubs were stupid enough to have schemes then they deserve the consequences, however I don't think this is the case.
I think as usual the Govco is closing any loop hole that could be exploited.
No I meant the clubs worked with VicRoads to get the club rego going now others have stuffed it up
Old 22-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #85
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon View Post
I'll use myself as an example.

I have 4 Cars.
1 off the road.
2 on full reg.
1 on club Permit.

I won't drive cars i care about to work, i work in a Hospital.... Hospital carpark.. yeah no thanks.

So leaving weekends.

I've got 3 cars to choose from on weekends, so of the ~150 days (friday/sat/sun) a year

minus bad weather
minus being busy with the family
minus other life commitments
minus time spent off the road because you're tinkering with it.

I've taken my Club Permitted car out a total of about 15 times in 6 months.

If you use it more then 90 days, then fine keep it on Full Reg.
But a large majority of us don't drive them *THAT* often so 1/4 the cost and cheaper insurance seem like significant benefits to me.
Totally agree
Mines been on club reg since October 2013 and has only been driven 5 times
I purchased 90 days as I too was worried abut using them up. The fact is I could have saved more money by paying for 45 days
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #86
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue View Post
Totally agree
Mines been on club reg since October 2013 and has only been driven 5 times
I purchased 90 days as I too was worried abut using them up. The fact is I could have saved more money by paying for 45 days
If a car is not your daily, its surprising how hard it actually is to drive it more than 45 days in a year. Of course this is dependent on the family situation; singles may find it a lot easier than those married.

When getting my 45 day club permit last December, I was thinking that if the permit does get used up, its very easy to go to Vicroads and pay $68 for another 45 days.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #87
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

You actually think you drive them more before you had to fill in log books! Now, when I fill it in I think, bloody hell! Haven't driven it in 6 weeks! Got a 90 day as well. Think I should have go a 45

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #88
Hulsty

Got a 45 day on mine at cup weekend last year, as of now got 15 days left which should get me through since I am away for 2 months this year soon.

Keen to see the final rules from Vicroads. Hearing all kinds of rumours like annual inspections even for vehicles on the scheme etc etc
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #89
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same here got 5 cars on full reg plus 2 bikes and I drive a company work car 5to 6 days a week .The weeks tick over quick and you don't realize how long its been since you have driven them
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #90
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsty View Post
Got a 45 day on mine at cup weekend last year, as of now got 15 days left which should get me through since I am away for 2 months this year soon.

Keen to see the final rules from Vicroads. Hearing all kinds of rumours like annual inspections even for vehicles on the scheme etc etc
Wasnt mentioned in the AOMC breifing as far as i'm aware.

The main documentation we're waiting for is VSI33.

The rest is pretty straight forward