Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #61
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: 2014 Chevrolet SS Dealer Allocation Limited to Less Than 1,000 Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
so successful they asked for alot of redundancies and a pay cut for workers. Oh wait that doesnt make sence? so either they just shafted a bunch of people or there not in a good as position as they claim im confused now?
Have you bothered to ask any employees their opinion of the wage cuts?

Or is just easier to make assumptions that support your opinion.

I have, and every one has said they are happy to take one for the team if it means they will maintain their jobs for now.
The only concern amongst the workforce was in regards to capped redundancy payouts when and if it all goes pear shaped.

You have to remember that earning $1100 take home a week is a good wage for anyone living in Adelaide's northern suburbs.
As was said to me, 'We have had it good for a long time, wage growth has outpaced many other local industry'

They are probably now at where they should be, which would sound alarming to most Aussies as they think they are gods gift to employers and expect better than award wages...

Tell us Bossxr8, would you have taken a pay cut if Ford offered it as an option to remain viable?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #62
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Its easy to say 'I hate Holden, Holden suck, rah, rah, rah.

Do you hate fellow Australians, Does ones geographical location make them 'drongos', because when all is said and done, it is these people and their families who will feel it the most.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #63
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post

You have to remember that earning $1100 take home a week is a good wage for anyone living in Adelaide's northern suburbs.
As was said to me, 'We have had it good for a long time, wage growth has outpaced many other local industry'

Tell us Bossxr8, would you have taken a pay cut if Ford offered it as an option to remain viable?
Ford is $840 take home a week, and we took a pay freeze for two years so not quite a pay cut but it was still done as an act of goodwill by the employees.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #64
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Who cares about American jobs, American jobs aren't keeping the corner store open, or the local super market, or the bloody pub they congregate at after work.
As an American, I care a lot.

You criticize Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, MI, USA for not caring about Australian jobs.

FoA has operated with a great deal of autonomy for decades, but Australians aren't buying the cars. How much money should Ford Motor Company be asked to lose?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #65
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Well, cars don't stop functioning after their mother factory has died do they? I see a lot of mitsubishi magnas still getting around, not to mention decades worth of commodores and falcons tottering around, and camries of all eras bringing the good old folk to church and bowling. Love or hate any of these cars, they are all Australian-built cars which will be a feature of Australian roads for a while to come, post 2016.
That was my point about Fords--they won't disappear the instant production ceases.

Quote:
Its easy to say 'I hate Holden, Holden suck, rah, rah, rah.

Do you hate fellow Australians, Does ones geographical location make them 'drongos', because when all is said and done, it is these people and their families who will feel it the most.
Maybe Holden will hire them. Maybe Holden will buy Broadmeadows.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #66
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic View Post
... but Australians aren't buying the cars. ....

Ford Falcon's & Holden Commodore's biggest threat is the Australian car buyer.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #67
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
As an American, I care a lot.

You criticize Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, MI, USA for not caring about Australian jobs.

FoA has operated with a great deal of autonomy for decades, but Australians aren't buying the cars. How much money should Ford Motor Company be asked to lose?
Australians aren't buying Falcons, Ford had an opportunity to manufacture Focus here and pulled the pin on it.
Would it have saved local production and jobs, we will never know as the case was taken off the table.
What we do know is that Ford are more than happy to tie up the loose ends and concentrate manufacturing in a global region known for low wages.

Take off your rose coloured glasses, this decision isn't about Falcon sales, its about making more money for Ford US who will seek to flog off their Thai built products in return for Aussie wages.

I said upon Fords announcement that if people didn't oppose its stance then it would open the doors for the other manufacturers to follow suit, well they are, and not only has it been accepted, but we are making the argument for them.
Well I hope your satisfied, self fulfilling prophecy and all.

Im done on the matter, if you cant see the value of Aussie jobs through your hate of all things Holden, im wasting my time.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #68
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

Take off your rose coloured glasses, this decision isn't about Falcon sales, its about making more money for Ford US who will seek to flog off their Thai built products in return for Aussie wages.
So ford should be a not-for-profit organisation?

Ford is a business, if undesirable conditions means that the Australian market isn't a dollar earner, then they have a right to leave. With the benefit of hindsight, there could have been things that they could have done better...but they did what they thought was right at the time.

None of this changes that fact that Holden's export deal is marginal to say the least...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #69
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Bottom feeders like myself, are you that hurt you need to stoop to personal insults, or are you just spewing your local mob lost on the weekend..lol

I visit many forums, definitely not one eyed, all things motoring interest me, however, your lack of peripheral vision is evident, so too is the reason you don't 'get it'.

Anyhow, I don't care if you don't like the badge, that's personal opinion, but to continuously sink the boot into an employer who puts food on the table of many families is quite frankly a pathetic outlook and totally un Australian.
I'm all for employing Australians, i'm all against total BS corporate lies and bleeding the government dry with grandois dreams that always blow up in their faces.

But I will bite my tongue here and just say do me a favour and don't bother reading any more of my posts if you don't like them, I've got no time for you. Peace out.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #70
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The plan to sell these in the US has fail written all over it, didn't they learn the first 2 times.

Only plan on selling maybe 1700-2000 a year.
Thing is, 2000 would be difficult for Chevrolet to produce, because it's just too low a number and handing it over to Holden to fill up their capacity makes perfect sense.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #71
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Export Production:

At the moment, Holden's monthly exports are around:
- 200 Caprice to the Middle East
- 700 Caprice PPV to USA
- 250 SS to USA
- 50 odd to NZ

By my crude calculations, that's around 1200/mth, give or take....

Just my opinion but I can see Middle east sales evaporating while it looks like
PPV sales are growing to maybe 1,000/mth and the SS at about 300 or 350/mth.

Domestic Production:

2800/mth Commodore Sedan + Sportwagon
500/mth Commodore Ute
100/mth Caprice
2400/mth Cruze

So your domestic production is approx. 5800
so add 1200 export production and you have 7,000/mth

I think that is realistic and why Holden has no excess stock to sell.

With 12 down days this month, Ford will be lucky to produce a quarter of that amount.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #72
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Export Production:

At the moment, Holden's monthly exports are around:
- 200 Caprice to the Middle East
- 700 Caprice PPV to USA
- 250 SS to USA
- 50 odd to NZ
By my crude calculations, that's around 1200/mth, give or take....
Just my opinion but I can see Middle east sales evaporating while it looks like
PPV sales are growing to maybe 1,000/mth and the SS at about 300 or 350/mth.

Domestic Production:

2800/mth Commodore Sedan + Sportwagon
500/mth Commodore Ute
100/mth Caprice
2400/mth Cruze
So your domestic production is approx. 5800
so add 1200 export production and you have 7,000/mth
I think that is realistic and why Holden has no excess stock to sell.
With 12 down days this month, Ford will be lucky to produce a quarter of that amount.
Your being very optimistic with the Caprice PPV running at 700 per month and increasing from here on in. They did sell 700 in August 2013, but for the six months till the end of June 2013, they had only sold 1180 (as per link)
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/07/...y-the-numbers/

You also need to take into account that not all cruze sales are australian made, the wagon is imported (although i havent seen one yet). And there are a few articles going arounf from GM stating that SS will be limited to 150 per month on average.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #73
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
Your being very optimistic with the Caprice PPV running at 700 per month and increasing from here on in. They did sell 700 in August 2013, but for the six months till the end of June 2013, they had only sold 1180 (as per link)
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/07/...y-the-numbers/

You also need to take into account that not all cruze sales are australian made, the wagon is imported (although i havent seen one yet). And there are a few articles going arounf from GM stating that SS will be limited to 150 per month on average.
Fair comment but here's what I've found out through some research and back chanels:

The reason that PPV numbers were subdued in the past 12 months was because Ford flooded
police Departments with Crown Victorias before they stopped production, it's only now that
Caprice is starting to find its niche.

LA PD recently started buying some and I expect that other larger PDs may start taking it
in preference to the Charger which has a bad reputation for quality. Up until now, most sales
have been into smaller sheriffs departments but recently some bigger orders have been coming through.

GM will supply whatever SS s the US wants, the economy is freshening over there and
the outlook is positive so there's reason to be more optimistic about the figures quoted,
internal talk suggests 300-350/mth but time will tell if that's too optimistic for the price asked..
With 3,000 Chevrolet dealers, the SS won't be as had of a sell as the Pontiac G8.

Cruze wagons are indeed imported but overall, we're not talking thousands of excess cars..
I'm willing to bet the 270/mth Cruze and 240/mth VF that go to NZ offset the imported Cruze wagons....LINK

Last edited by jpd80; 11-09-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #74
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Australians aren't buying Falcons, Ford had an opportunity to manufacture Focus here and pulled the pin on it.
Would it have saved local production and jobs, we will never know as the case was taken off the table.
What we do know is that Ford are more than happy to tie up the loose ends and concentrate manufacturing in a global region known for low wages.

I said upon Fords announcement that if people didn't oppose its stance then it would open the doors for the other manufacturers to follow suit, well they are, and not only has it been accepted, but we are making the argument for them.
Well I hope your satisfied, self fulfilling prophecy and all.

Im done on the matter, if you cant see the value of Aussie jobs through your hate of all things Holden, im wasting my time.
I don't give a crap about Holden—I'm an American. (But I have no plans to buy a Chevy SS.)

Of course they decided not to build the Focus in Australia. How much of a premium would you be willing to pay for an Aussie-built Focus? It would probably end up costing about the same as a Falcon. If Ford built the Focus in Australia, it would instantly cost more than all the other cars in its class.

I see the value of Aussie jobs, but I also see the way the global economy works. I'm sorry you place such little value on American jobs. Most of the Fords sold in the US aren't built in the US. Why? Because labor is cheaper in Mexico, Turkey, and Asia. It used to be cheaper in Canada, but the loonie got stronger than our dollar. Bye-bye, Canadian-built Crown Victoria!

Did you like the old Ford of Britain products like the Zephyr, Cortina, Capri, and Sierra? Well, FoA lasted close to 20 years longer than Ford of Britain did. Why? Because labor was too expensive and sales were too low.

Holden will have a very difficult time staying in production with the closure of Ford for the same reason Ford USA reserved the right to a bailout if GM and Chrysler went under—shared suppliers. With no Ford demand for common components, prices will go up for Holden. As the price of production increases, the sales price must increase, making Holden less competitive in the market.

We have been through this in the US already—production jobs move to countries with cheaper labor. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but it is what happens.

If you can't see the value of economics through your hate of all things American, I'm wasting my time.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #75
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with an Australian based Focus wasn't so much the cost to produce here,
it was that our free trade neighbors to the North simply replaced tariffs with import taxes
that ruined any chance of non-Asian based manufacturer exporting into the region.
And our government let them get away with it.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #76
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post

None of this changes that fact that Holden's export deal is marginal to say the least...
As opposed to never going to happen with Falcon.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #77
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
As opposed to never going to happen with Falcon.
Falcons plans got canned with the GFC and the going-on's in America when Ford was saved from bankruptcy, while GM and Chrysler went red and got bought out buy the government...

Then there was the export deal with Thailand that had guts ripped out if it buy lop-sided trading rules through special taxes...

The FG was design protected with LHD in mind, indicating that there was some thought in a export plan.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #78
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
If you can't see the value of economics through your hate of all things American, I'm wasting my time.
Ford of US have sold vehicles in Australia, to Australians for near on a hundred years, it hasn't been a one way street, you guys have lined your pockets well.
lets not make this something its not, when EF Falcons were selling 95k/year, your shareholders would have been well satisfied, now things are stacked against them is not the time to sever your ties and run. Those same Aussies now need YOU!
See, something that may be lost on our western brothers is that, in the true Aussie spirit, you don't leave your mates when they need YOU!

If you think Fords decision to cease production in Australia hasn't hurt the brand, you are misreading your market.
People wont stand for it, well some will, and they are obvious....

What are you going to do when the Asian market demands better conditions?
Move everything to bloody Ecuador?

Do you think Aussies are going to be offered a family vehicle built in Taiwan for a fraction of the price of a Falcon?
No bloody way, we'll still get screwed over, the only difference will be Ford's profit margin will be greater.

I love the Ford products we already have, when they run out i'll go elsewhere, the company can get stuffed!

Sorry, but my 2c.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #79
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

I don't think it hasn't hurt the brand. I think they have decided that it will hurt the bottom line more than it hurts the brand if they continue production.

How do you feel about Chrysler?

When the Asians demand more money, manufacturers (not just Ford) will either pay more and raise prices, or find somewhere else with cheaper labor.

Quote:
See, something that may be lost on our western brothers is that, in the true Aussie spirit, you don't leave your mates when they need YOU!

I love the Ford products we already have, when they run out i'll go elsewhere, the company can get stuffed!
'

These two statements contradict each other. Or is mateship a one-way street?