Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #61
Djrystofer

Default Re: Who still talks to family members ???

Father's side, too busy worrying about cattle & farming and machinery to worry about family.

I keep in contact with almost all of my family on my mothers side though, my grandmother doesn't allow us not to, otherwise she'll come to our houses and personally drag us by the ears to the family gatherings.

She's got a heart of gold.
That said, it's a good thing aswell, friends may come and go, but family will always be there to support you.
Djrystofer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #62
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

We don't have much family in this country and those we talk to gets less with each passing decade.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #63
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I consider myself very lucky in that hardly any of my family are at wars. Last year we moved to the Gold Coast. My immediate family is up this way but my wifes is all down Goulburn,Canberra,Braidwood way. We invited them all for christmas. We had 28 for christmas day and 19 of those stayed for a week or more. Borrowed caravan and tents and even a hired ensuite, shower/toilet/vanity, sufficed as accomodation. Not a cross word was said between anyone. They came and went as they pleased as we still had to work. For my side generally I have been the one to try to keep contact with old family and friends. I even encouraged my wife to invite a sis in law who doesnt see the family much. I remember many years ago going to birthdays, weddings, engagements, christenings on my wifes side where many finished in a fight. Kidding I wasn't nervous about christmas. It was hot, lots of people and there was alchohol. Thankfully it all turned out great.
So there is a good rello story. Thank you rellos for making our christmas one of the best.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #64
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only my immediate...
Close with parents, get alone fine with older brother. Don't talk to twin.

Mum's sister and brother in law are selfish jerks that bully Grandma in handing over all of her assets and cash...

So they can go blow goats. I don't want to talk to people like that.

You can't choose your family.

I saw my Grandma for the first time in six years - I think mostly because she was reaching out.

I was close with my father's mother. I'd bring her back if I could...passed in 1997.

Time waits for nobody, unfortunately.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #65
homegrown
hotshot

I dont see too much family, bit of re-marriage situation with my parents.
But my brother only comes over when he wants money. He borrowed some cash off me only a few weeks ago that he still owes me. Then he came around wanting more. I had to explain to him the process of borrowing money. When you return the first amount that was borrowed I can lend you more money and so the process can continue.
Anyway Im sure we all got them.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #66
homegrown
hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
We don't have much family in this country and those we talk to gets less with each passing decade.
That must be hard especially for people that come here with kids, no one to help out.
Hope everything is going well for you here.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #67
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Talk to my parents and half-sister all the time...

Don't think my sister talks to the parents much, they are always bickering.

Family all lives in Tassie.

Talk to some other relos occasionally, but they are all weird as....

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #68
I reckon
Banned

Jesus what a miserable thread this is . Stop your bickering and ring your parents . Brothers. Sisters .whatever .

Don't wait to meet them all again at the next funeral!
I reckon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #69
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggsy View Post
Jesus what a miserable thread this is . Stop your bickering and ring your parents . Brothers. Sisters .whatever .

Thanks for your advice, but NO!!!

If you don't like the thread then don't read it
Old 03-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #70
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

mate I agree but sometimes this is simply not possible for many and varied reasons......

I am absolutely huge on family "togetherness" (one or two of the more astute amongst our fold may have noticed this, but I think I have hidden it pretty well) however not everything in life goes as we plan......family is one

I applaud this thread, mainly for those who are, well, maybe thinking about family lost at this time of year and need to let a little bit of their feelings be known

everyone that knows me knows that I'm a big softy.....I will listen to anyone, anytime and if I think I can help in anyway possible I will

I would like to think that in a public forum full of tough guys and gals and some youngsters we can perhaps take a little time out from our ramblings about vehicles and just listen

it doesn't cost much and may just ease the pain a bit.....may even save a life......don't laugh, suicides start exactly like many posts in here, if someone just listens it may be averted

this helps in many ways, number one is to show they are not the only ones and that there are people out there who understand and are going through the same thing

I myself am not averse to bit of "tea and sympathy"

xmas is always a bad time of year, thoughts drift to families and what could or might be, then disappointment, sometimes, resentment, rolls in.....

always good to talk about things......we cant always talk to friends about "things" but just maybe we can "in here"

it would be good if all families would simply get along.....but when it doesn't then a friendly ear is very helpful as well

enough of my ramblings.....as a famous feller once said........ "love the one you're with"

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #71
gtfpv
GT

I'M with poppa smurf on this one . it's important to remember that all of us can relate on this , if not directly than a sibbling or family member has a family problem .
as wecan see in this thread 99% of people have a not so perfect family that can be accepted as far from normal . never the less they are real and problematic .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #72
homegrown
hotshot

A disfunctional family is a "normal" family.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #73
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
It's like picking up the phone to a stinking rancid takeaway and ordering a serve of crow with a side order of self pride, trouble is that the person on the other end of the phone has to eat it as well.

This thread whether you are in the negative or positive shows one thing to me: You have feelings, and you do care. Otherwise you wouldn't have posted.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #74
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
On family relationships, it is my observations that quite often it can be the 'in-laws' that can bring mischief into a family, when kids marry, their partners can bring their opinions and views which can be contrary to the families, I have seem families torn apart by sister-in-laws, brother-in-laws, daughter-in-laws and son-in-laws getting in between siblings about parents in particular
This appears to be the same issue with my family.

The grumpy old guy my aunt is married to appears to be the instigator behind all the negativity following my grandmothers passing. The guy is very egotistic and seems to get even more grumpier as his brain deteriorates away.

He appears to have an issue with the fact my father had been handed down two properties and thinks he's up to something to get whatever he wants. This made me believe it might have him that made sure I was not in included in the Will while all my 7 cousins are.

What was interesting was that at the funeral, he was greeting everyone but stayed away from my immediate family. He even said my grandmother was a liar and if that doesn't sound disrespectful enough, guess who's phone started ringing through the service?
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #75
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:

while you probably meant well, i find this post disrespectful

we all have our own personal reasons for not talking to people, be they family members, old friends, acquaintances, work chums or just well wishers. for sure, some reasons will seem very trivial to some people, but no one outside my family can have any idea on why we don't talk, so why they would suggest we do

i will not for one second suggest that i am not part of the problem with my sister and father, but their part of the problem (particularly my father's) means i have no desire to talk to them again
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #76
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thread revisit.

Thanks to those whom shared their experiences in this thread.

My brother and I have always seem to be at war. Last couple years I have been biting my lips and keeping myself restrained but latesly his selfish antics and feeble excuses have become too thin to handle.

Whilst i get along with my parents just fine, the brother really has his head up his *** and seems to think he does no wrong.

His now wife and newborn also will be the collatoral damage in this as well, but hey she also could use a good dose of 'tact'. To be told I was to be a godparent and then have that removed due to her being 'catholic' and me not, was kind of a turning point for the worst.

But yeh, really guys, thanks. Reading this thread has helped me alot and I can see it is almost common for thigns like this to happen.

Cheers
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #77
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if nothing else it has been shown that no 2 families are the same and there are many varied reasons why some families dont get along.

we simply have to get over it and move on.....there was an old saying or prayer that still rings true (if I can remember it correctly)

God, give me grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,

it goes on but the gist is enough.......what we cant change we must accept and live with

truth of the matter is that not everyone gets on......dont fret it, have a beer with a mate, hug your family and move on!

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 07-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #78
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh thats it in a nutshell

Cant keep on fretting over this, ppl dont always get on.

Been ongoing for a long time and just tired of it, and so for my own happiness, have to move on and concentrate on my own life.

Truth in the saying, 'can pick your friends but cant pick your family'
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #79
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just let it go, to hang onto it will only tear you apart

2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #80
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I just re-read this this thread in it's entirety as it was flagged as one that I'd posted in. Ta to uniacidz for resurrecting it.

There's a whole lotta sadness here with families, some happiness - but not much.

I'm lucky. My ex, the mother of my 2 girls is still the person I trust the most. After all the nasty crap got outta the way we've remained great friends with ultimate trust for each other.

There was something there somewhere - glad there still is!

Cheers.

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #81
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Very rocky relationship with one of my family members, kinda love/hate relationship, the odd occasion we get along fine, 90% of the time she is an arrogant smart *** who thinks she's better than everyone else, and she thinks she is always right.

She will give out **** but won't take it, and that annoys me.

She also treats my Mum like ****, and it really upsets her, cut her out of her life and wants to dictate the terms of their relationship.

My grandma on Mum's side has caused so many problems for my family as well, she went up to Cairns for 2 weeks in 2006, its 2013 and she's still there.

Good.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 08-04-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #82
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I have little contact with Family extended or not. I have 4 children and 9 grandchildren I have not spoken to since 2006 (not MY choice). I lost my Grandmother in 1979, my Father in 1986, my Uncle in 1990, my Eldest Sister in 2005 and my Mother in 2006. My 2 nieces I haven't seen since 2005 and my late Sister's husband either and, my Ex I have not spoken to in more than 9 years and it's fine like that and 2 nephews that I rarely hear from.

Christmas is a time that means nothing to me at all. I spend the day at home and it now suits me to do so. I have a little contact with my younger Sister and that also suits me. At 60, I don't need hassle or the fawning over of relatives that see you once a year OR when they want to so, I don't really care about the "family unit"

To those that have a good relationship with their family's, good on ya.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #83
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Poppa and Papa, are you related..................??
Old 08-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #84
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've read this whole thread and it has hit the rare, emotional side of me. I must go now...
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #85
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
I've read this whole thread and it has hit the rare, emotional side of me. I must go now...
to hit the "emotional side" every now and then is a good thing........if we dont talk about our problems they will only grow and fester

Old 03-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #86
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm going to get in touch with my brother in this next week and ask if he can do a little aluminium mig job (on the Ute tray) for me - he has the tools - he's a boiler maker. That may further bring us closer together. I'll show him my drag experiences and explain my on going sound deadening efforts. He drives a FG R6 ute, auto, with a fibreglass shell on the tray.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #87
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To update my situation, my brother and I havent spoken in 3 months i think.

Best 3 months so far.
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #88
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

I talk to the family I know. Or that I have contact details for. My family is huge on mum's side, and since my old man died when I was a kid, pretty distant on that side. Pretty sure I talk to a nano percentage of my rellies.

That said, my mum and I are closer than anyone, and we generally just keep to ourselves. It took us over 4 years to get together to scatter my grans ashes since we're all so far flung apart.

It actually took this thread to make me realise how little I have to do with my family, beyond mum/sister/dad's mum.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #89
Itsme
Experienced Member

I'm the 2nd youngest of eight & came from a very close knit family which was great but sadly after my parents died that all changed, now I do not see them any more.

Life goes on & I have my children & grandchildren in which I hope past mistakes are not repeated.

Dwell in ones memory is all I have now.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #90
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

well I still haven't spoken to my brother and his wife since before xmas 2012..
my parents have recently made the effort to make amends.. even though they did nothing wrong.. I guess mostly for mums sake..

I still can't see it in my heart to bother with him.. my whole life I've had to walk on eggshells around him..
Im no saint either and have been the creator of my share of issues..
I'm not a bad person because I dont want anything to do with him..
if it were anyone else I wouldn't waste my time with them.. so why waste it on him.

I fail to see any substance in that whole family is everything slogan..
its a forced situation which guilt seems to be the primary reason for forgiveness.
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: