Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #61
Rodge
Banned

Default Re: Just curious, why is there so much hate on big car fuel economy?

Quote:
but a V8 costs well over a grand a year to register,
Thanks for that. I wonder how many Kiwi's shifting to Oz know that ?

Sure makes me feel better paying the annual NZ$287 rego bill on my SC V8 and helps subsidise the $2,30 a litres for 98 Octane. Swings and roundabouts I suppose...
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #62
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cost me $500 a year to register my v8. Then another $500 for third party.
Not sure what state is 'well' over a grand.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #63
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

993.60 to renew a v8 in QLD

includes CTP but nothing more. fire and theft is more, comprehensive is more.

Ice
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #64
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I find that Falcon/Commodore ride much smoother and their AC is actually cold compared to the small hatches on the market.

My EL Fairmont Ghia is a much nicer cruiser compared to my 2009 WS Fiesta and 2010 TDCI Focus.
Good point. Before I got my AU Fairmont I briefly had a CE Lancer MR which used around 9 lt/100km on a country run. I thought that was good until I drove the AU on the same trip, which used about the same amount of fuel. This was on a 38 deg day, we honestly didnt realise it was so hot until we got out, we were nice and cool inside while driving along. And the engine performance was such I didnt notice the compressor working at all.

Thinking back, effective climate control a/c was a big factor in why I got hooked on the Fairmonts and XR50, but with quite reasonable fuel economy. The AU was to blame for that.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #65
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas11
I just don't get the hate on big car fuel economy?
Because people like to hate on things that don't affect them. If they don't like the fuel economy of a big car then they can buy a small one.

But you're right, it's probably perception. As many have said here, it depends on how the car is driven. If the car is taken on frequent long trips, chances are there isn't going to be a huge difference in fuel economy.

Personally I drive mainly around the city where the in-line six's fuel consumption shoots way up. That's where the EcoBoost comes in
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #66
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
More like tonge in cheek comment about some people who go to stupid levels to save fuel, but waste money on other things.
This!
Sure I could buy a Prius for $30k, or I can keep my $3k Falcon ute. It's gunna take me a very very long time to burn $27k more fuel in my ute.

The purple monster, daily BA XR6 turbo.

Scale Lego Technic XB Coupe with working bits! Build thread
Phil B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #67
weairy
Piston Broke

People harp on about the fuel economy of a big car...
I've stopped using my Falcon as a daily driver and now only really drive when I'm going to Melbourne or similar (I live about an hr north).
My economy as a daily driver was 10.4lt/100km, it's back down to 9.2lt/100km doing these runs. And you know what? It's a hell of a lot more comfortable than a 3 cylinder Golf. I'll pay the extra $5/100km for the comfort, thanks.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #68
JG34JA

Always had country runs to do, so

WB 253 Ute approx 13L/100km with extractors
HJ Kingswood 202 wagon 9.4L/100km
ED Falcon 4.0 Classic 8-9L/100km
HJ60 diesel manual 10.5-12.5L/100km, sat on 2250 revs at 110 IIRC
VY Commodore 3.8 Wagon, 8.4L/100km
BF XR6 4 speed 8.4L/100km
FG XR6 5 speed 9.2 L/100km
SY Territory AWD 10.5L/100km, got a 9.5 once
XW Fairmont Wagon 302, about 13-15L/100km but what a sound
ED XR8 Sprint manual about 10.5L/100km with cruise.

Toyota Echo 6.6L/100km

most comfortable was ED, BF or SY. Most fun was the Sprint and XW. All large cars icy cold air-con except HJ which had none (imagine those days...) If I had to drive to another country town far away in a hurry, assuming old NT speed laws and WA size distances, it's the Sprint and daylight second.

I've always felt the Falcon/Commodore type car was the best for most of Australia's country roads; most comfortable, most acceptable economy, relative simplicity, most parts and easily understood servicing but the times they-are-a-changin'. It would be nice to stash a late Fairlane or an AU2 VCT Fairmont Ghia though.

Would there ever be space for a local, small volume niche manufacturer to make a Fairlane type car in low numbers in the future just for country Australia? To combine something like Jag's 2.2L diesel (which chews 5's on the highway I think) and an 8 speed ZF with supple suspension and a long wheelbase, would be fantastic for Aussie country roads.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #69
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG34JA
Would there ever be space for a local, small volume niche manufacturer to make a Fairlane type car in low numbers in the future just for country Australia? To combine something like Jag's 2.2L diesel (which chews 5's on the highway I think) and an 8 speed ZF with supple suspension and a long wheelbase, would be fantastic for Aussie country roads.
Like a Jag XF maybe?

The purple monster, daily BA XR6 turbo.

Scale Lego Technic XB Coupe with working bits! Build thread
Phil B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #70
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil B
Like a Jag XF maybe?
haha. yeah you can buy a new Jag XF for the same price as an LTD was in the 90s!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #71
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

An Aussie diesel RWD sedan would sell its pants off, especially in rural Australia which would capitalise on the large Ford and Holden dealer network.

I really think people don't understand how we'll diesel is regarded out in the general population.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #72
JG34JA

Actually guys, you got me! Yes the Jag! Also there's a midsize Jag rumoured to be coming as well...

Since I wrote about that, I've been reading up on the Ecoboost Falcon and trying to find what highway Km's it gets. I've found a 6.3 and a 5.4, so answering my question, the car already exists! Aussie, RWD, <6L/100km on highway potential. Can be had in G6E trim, Australia wide servicing unlike a Jag, costs of servicing very reasonable. It needs 95 Octane and not a true LWB, but it could sell to country Australia if they could just get the message out.

Talk about "Fords that could save Ford now"... I didn't even consider it and I'm a Ford fan.

Hey Brazen, agree with you on the diesel RWD, but if you look at EcoBoost it's already doing diesel style consumption as a more-simple-to-maintain petrol motor with no DPFs...

Is anyone using an EcoBoost on the highway at present, and what is your consumption?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #73
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Since I wrote about that, I've been reading up on the Ecoboost Falcon and trying to find what highway Km's it gets. I've found a 6.3 and a 5.4, so answering my question, the car already exists! Aussie, RWD, <6L/100km on highway potential. Can be had in G6E trim, Australia wide servicing unlike a Jag, costs of servicing very reasonable. It needs 95 Octane and not a true LWB, but it could sell to country Australia if they could just get the message out.
The problem with selling the Ecoboost to country Australia is that they're country Australians. I dare say it would be pretty tough to try and sell them a four cylinder Falcon, a baby boomer from the country would never consider it. It's just the stigma of 4 cylinder engines that older buyers have. From what I have seen most of them have moved on to Prado-type vehicles. Plus, petrol sold from country servos is generally rubbish.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #74
JG34JA

Hear what you are saying FTW, daresay the country will experience $2 fuel first and that'll change opinions really quick.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #75
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas11
My brother grabbed a liberty the other week, i'm not sure of the year but it was late 2000's. Probably a 2006. 2.5L motor and has the auto.

Its a nice looking car, nice interior too, but its absolutely gutless and its not exactly what you'd call frugal.
Subarus are overrated nowadays. Pokey inside too by Australian standards. Same size car (but probably roomier inside) is Skoda Octavia. The 1.9TDI does 6 litres/100, accelerates like a bat out of hell, can do up to about 220 and cruises all day at 130, still at 6 l/100 (I know, I've been doing it). And a range of over 1000 km.

My Territory manages down to about 10 l/100 in the country - fortunately I don't live in the city! I remember a mum at a school the kids went to when ours were younger turned up every day with her 3 absolutely squashed in her Liberty so tight they could hardly breathe. My kids were floating round in the Territory with acres of space. I honestly don't know what idea some people have when they buy Subarus. They used to be good when they first came out, maybe the reputation stuck?
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #76
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Cost me $500 a year to register my v8. Then another $500 for third party.
Not sure what state is 'well' over a grand.
its somewhere around $1k in SA.. CTP is bundled in with reg here..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #77
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This same discussion has been going on since the 70s. Back then when the fuel scare first hit I used to buy near new LTD,s Fairlanes, GTs etc because everyone was frightened of the cost of fuel and you could get them for next to nothing compared to small cars. I had a great time while most people were driving small fuel misers and I did calculations at the time that gave me the result that I would have to drive the big car for 5yrs before I reached the cost of a small car of the same age. Thats without the fuel cost to run the small car for that period of time. This made me a very happy man!!!

Each to his or her own. Drive what makes you happy its not worth the aggravation. I don't even think about fuel costs anymore!
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #78
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

funny op should bring this up because i get about 6-10 in my car in the sig.

if i really granny it i dont go over 8 per 1000

funny how a 12 year old falcon is more efficient than most modern cars and has about double the nm in tourqe.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: