Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 26-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #61
Blue Blooded

Default Re: Bernard Tomic drives into trouble again in his BMW on the Gold Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
In High School we read Animal Farm by George Orwell

One of the principles in the book holds true

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

Life isn't entirely fair sometimes.

At the end of the day, Bernard Tomic has something to offer BMW Australia which no one here on AFF can.

It is business. Nothing personal.
What does he have to offer the government? They gave him the exemption, not BMW

FG GT Black 6spM
XY Falcon Project (on the backburner for the moment)
BFII XR6 Turbo 6spA
BA XR6 5spM
AUII XR8 5spM
BMW 318is 5spM
XC Falcon 250
XD Falcon 250 Xflow
76 Mitsubishi Galant Wagon (this car would not die, believe me I tried)
TE Cortina 200ci Xflow
XY Falcon 378 Clevo Stroker 4sp Top Loader
Old 26-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #62
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Default Re: Bernard Tomic drives into trouble again in his BMW on the Gold Coast

Love Queenlsand. You can buy anything up there.
Old 26-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #63
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded
What does he have to offer the government? They gave him the exemption, not BMW
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others",
Old 26-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #64
Blue Blooded

Quote:
That's a cop out

FG GT Black 6spM
BFII XR6 Turbo 6spA
BA XR6 5spM
AUII XR8 5spM
BMW 318is 5spM
XC Falcon 250
XD Falcon 250 Xflow
TE Cortina 200ci Xflow
Old 26-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #65
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i love that....
Old 26-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #66
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

who really cares (or should)
he can drive the car legally - get over it
if he has broken the law, he will pay for it

if tracey grimshaw reported on anything similar, everyone would be crying on here
if anyone here was picked up for something similar, everyone would scream "revenue raising" and ask why they aren't catching real criminals

he made the sacrifices
bmw want him
he pays the government more taxes than others
it is legal for him to drive it - get over it
Old 26-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #67
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
if he has broken the law, he will pay for it
What do you mean IF? He's breached the conditions of the exemption twice now.

If I made a post on the Ford Forums about getting an exemption to drive V8s for my first car the thread would be closed and all the older guys would be in there having a go.

Seems if you're a sports star, Australia is your oyster.
Old 26-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #68
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded
That's a cop out
What does Bernard Tomic have to offer? The same thing that Nicole Kidman, Shane Warne, Hugh Jackman et al have to offer our country.

He is a celebrity, like it or not.

An fully maintained orange M3 is just a stepping stone to bigger and better things really.

Wonder if he got the six speed or the DCT semi auto transmission?
Old 26-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #69
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Can't belive how ****ed some people are over this...

He has a deal with BMW, his face for a free car, they want his face in a M3.. therefore as part of his work he has to advertise that car, thats why he got an exemption.

If anyone else had a similar offer you would also get the exemption the problem is these offers arn't for joe blow they are for high profile sportsmen and women.

If he is driving like a Dick he would have been fine or charged, since he has not at this stage i would say the police are chasing him for the same reason 80% of this thread are hating on him...
Old 26-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #70
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
What do you mean IF? He's breached the conditions of the exemption twice now.

If I made a post on the Ford Forums about getting an exemption to drive V8s for my first car the thread would be closed and all the older guys would be in there having a go.

Seems if you're a sports star, Australia is your oyster.
i do not know what happened - do you . . . not what the press have reported, the facts

if you are comparing yourself to bernard tomic, you are crazy - he actually votes

and yes, rightly or wrongly, sports stars and celebrities can receive special treatment - build a bridge

and once again, if he has broken the law, he will receive a penalty - but he is still allowed to drive the car
Old 26-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #71
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
i do not know what happened - do you . . . not what the press have reported, the facts

if you are comparing yourself to bernard tomic, you are crazy - he actually votes

and yes, rightly or wrongly, sports stars and celebrities can receive special treatment - build a bridge

and once again, if he has broken the law, he will receive a penalty - but he is still allowed to drive the car
Well considering it mentioned he got done in a street near restaurants with his girlfriend in the car, and the other time was on the sunshine coast at like 10pm at night or something, I'm fairly sure that breaches the exemption rules of the most direct route to and from your workplace, in Bernard's case, tennis training.

He's only allowed to drive the car to and from tennis training which is what the P plate exemption is for.

So what if he votes? I could vote too but I choose not to.

On the topic of Celebrities, what do they even offer to the country, its not like people would want to come here solely because they seen Bernard Tomic on TV winning Tennis matches (and he lost the last one anyways).
Old 26-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #72
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Who is this Benard Tomic bloke anyway and what does he do.....
Old 26-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #73
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A couple of days ago a thread was created by a member boasting how he lost his licence the first time..... for doing 240kmh in an 80 zone amongst other things

Then shortly after getting it back he lost his licence again after doing some skids in front of a copshop

Thread is still open by the way

All the AFF members were so kind to his plight. Poor guy. Clearly learned from his mistakes.......

Yet Bernard Tomic has done no such thing and everybody is sooking like little girls.

Amazing how a touch of celebrity polarises opinions....
Old 26-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #74
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Amazing how a touch of celebrity polarises opinions....
Yeah because they're exempted from all the rules everyone else has to follow and obide by.
Old 26-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #75
gtxb67

Quote:
Well considering it mentioned he got done in a street near restaurants with his girlfriend in the car, and the other time was on the sunshine coast at like 10pm at night or something, I'm fairly sure that breaches the exemption rules of the most direct route to and from your workplace, in Bernard's case, tennis training.

He's only allowed to drive the car to and from tennis training which is what the P plate exemption is for.

So what if he votes? I could vote too but I choose not to.

On the topic of Celebrities, what do they even offer to the country, its not like people would want to come here because they seen Bernard Tomic on TV winning Tennis matches.
so it seems he has broken the law - so what, he will be penalised. never broken the law yourself

he contributes - he doesn't just complain and then plead innocent

the money the grand prix, the aust open, the golf, the bike grand prix etc. contribute to the economy are substantial. and without these so called celebrities there would be no event - therefore no money
Old 26-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #76
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
so it seems he has broken the law - so what, he will be penalised. never broken the law yourself

he contributes - he doesn't just complain and then plead innocent

the money the grand prix, the aust open, the golf, the bike grand prix etc. contribute to the economy are substantial. and without these so called celebrities there would be no event - therefore no money
I've broken the law, just never been caught. I've driven emergency vehicles which I'm specifically not supposed to by law, because I'm a P plater.

I contribute, I pay taxes too?

IIRC the Grand Prix cost Victoria a lot of money, more-so than it makes from the tourism from it.
Old 26-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #77
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Yeah because they're exempted from all the rules everyone else has to follow and obide by.
This
I'm done with this, I have my opinion and you have yours. I'm bailing before the mods close the thread.
Enjoy

FG GT Black 6spM
BFII XR6 Turbo 6spA
BA XR6 5spM
AUII XR8 5spM
BMW 318is 5spM
XC Falcon 250
XD Falcon 250 Xflow
TE Cortina 200ci Xflow
Old 26-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #78
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
The Wimbledon quarter-finalist and P-plater, who has a special licence allowing him to drive the high-powered car
Right so he can hit a little yellow ball over a net - this instantly makes him able to handle a BMW. I don't see the logic?

Quote:
Tomic was already under investigation for allegedly breaching conditions of his licence allowing him to drive the BMW only to and from training.
Ah so he HAS actually possibly done something wrong.

Quote:
The 19-year-old was knocked out of the Australian Open by his hero Roger Federer on Sunday night after a gutsy campaign.
..........which has what to do with his driving?

Quote:
My comment...The Tall Poppy Syndrome is alive and well on the Gold Coast.
Really? All i see is that because of tall poppy syndrome he's been allowed to have something that so many other people would be flatly refused (a licence to drive that sort of car), and now that he may have actually done something wrong, he is being looked at.
Poor little Bernie? I think not.
Old 26-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #79
gtxb67

Quote:
I've broken the law, just never been caught. I've driven emergency vehicles which I'm specifically not supposed to by law, because I'm a P plater.

I contribute, I pay taxes too?

IIRC the Grand Prix cost Victoria a lot of money, more-so than it makes from the tourism from it.
so you are just as bad as mr tomic then

he not only pays taxes, but he also gets off his but and contributes on polling day

if the grand prix was a loss, bracks would have got rid of it like he promised. and mr brumby and mr bailleu would have got rid of it too. they don't so it must make money, no matter what the opposition, sap or the media say
Old 26-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #80
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
so you are just as bad as mr tomic then

he not only pays taxes, but he also gets off his but and contributes on polling day

if the grand prix was a loss, bracks would have got rid of it like he promised. and mr brumby and mr bailleu would have got rid of it too. they don't so it must make money, no matter what the opposition, sap or the media say
Yeah, but I don't take the Ambulances down the coast at 10pm at night or to restaurants. I move them around to get them to the other side of the workshop or in one case I took a patient transporter to the company that owned it around the corner.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...722-1hrkj.html

Spend $50M to get an estimated $39M back, a bit of creative accounting there right?

More people turn up to the Melbourne Cup Carnival than the F1s and the Government doesn't give the VRC jack crap, only leases the land to them for free, thats it.
Old 26-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #81
Chopped
as in chopped

I think the police would harass most young guys in hot cars, whether they are playing up or not. That's just how it is, it is nothing new.

This is part of the reason why "sleepers" are popular.
Old 26-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #82
gtxb67

Quote:
Yeah, but I don't take the Ambulances down the coast at 10pm at night or to restaurants. I move them around to get them to the other side of the workshop or in one case I took a patient transporter to the company that owned it around the corner
breaking the law is breaking the law

have you never broken it in any other ways

it seems a little hypocritical to me -at the very least, you seem to have selective morals. you only seem to care if it can affect you
Old 26-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #83
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
breaking the law is breaking the law

have you never broken it in any other ways

it seems a little hypocritical to me -at the very least, you seem to have selective morals. you only seem to care if it can affect you
Yes, pirating music and software (which you probably have too), and I guess keeping that shotgun shell I found on the road counts as breaking the law too, but I took it to the police station yesterday and left it there.

Other than that, I haven't had any involvement with police except being breath tested twice and after I crashed my car. No driving offences or criminal offences yet.

Which is the same as you, blatantly unfair yet you don't care because it doesn't affect you? If we all cared about things which didn't directly affect us, one day we'd be chaining ourselves to trees, then the next day protesting about gay marriage, then the day after we'd be on the sea shepard chasing Japanese whaling ships etc.
Old 26-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #84
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Update..http://tools.goldcoast.com.au/stories/50368261.php
In this news story..Police radio advise road patrols to look out for an orange BMW M3, allegedly revving at pedestrians mmm..harrassment ? to go and look for Tomic ??? I hope Tomic lodges a complaint with the CMC, its the only way the truth will come be told...because Ethical Standards Unit might not...
Old 26-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #85
gtxb67

Quote:
Yes, pirating music and software (which you probably have too), and I guess keeping that shotgun shell I found on the road counts as breaking the law too, but I took it to the police station yesterday and left it there.

Other than that, I haven't had any involvement with police except being breath tested twice and after I crashed my car. No driving offences or criminal offences yet.

Which is the same as you, blatantly unfair yet you don't care because it doesn't affect you?
i was talking about breaking the law while driving - that is the topic at hand . . . bernard maybe broke the law. have you not (except when doing the same as bernard)

bernard having an exemption to drive an m3 is not blatantly unfair. if every p plater was allowed, but they stopped him because he was a tennis player - that is unfair. allowing an exemption for the same reasons others are allowed, is not unfair - it is not only life, but just. no new rules have been made for him - he just took advantage of an existing one
Old 26-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #86
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From The Courier Mail
Inspector Glenn Allen, who spoke to Tomic and his lawyer, former Gold Coast mayor Lex Bell, said the tickets related to the conditions of Tomic's licence, but it was too early for him to say whether police had made a mistake in issuing the infringement notices.

"There is a determination to be made about conditions in relation to his driving that will be decided at a later time,'' Insp Allen told reporters outside the house.

"That will be determined by an inquiry, if one is required,'' he said.

Insp Allen said the Tomic family is now considering whether or not to lay a complaint against police.
Old 26-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #87
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Boohoo... a celebrity gets pulled over and he has a whinge.. omg police harassment... how dare they pull over a celebrity P plater holding an exemption.
How unAustralian..... and on Australia day....

Please please please leave him alone to do as he pleases... as us mere mortals can only dream to be rich, have expensive cars, a good looking other half, and the money to do what he wants.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 26-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #88
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a tennis player he didn't really win anything - true he is showing lots of potential but isn't it a bit early to enjoy the spoils before actually becoming a champion ?
There was another really talented tennis player from w'town who loved his girls & cars and didnt really fullfil his potential .
Why would BMW sponsor a 19 yo talented player and supply him with a car he cant legally drive ? What message does that send ?
He should of NEVER been granted exemption to drive high powered vehicle for work because his work can be done with a Corolla...
Old 26-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #89
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Sounds like he's been hanging out with Damir Dokić...
Old 26-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #90
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Even then I think the whole P plater work exemption thing is a bit of a cop out because unless you specifically need something F350 size which you could also do with an MR truck anyways, which the license is obtainable after 1 years on Ps here in Victoria, what work could you be doing that needs a v8 engine that a turbo diesel 4/6 couldn't match?

I can understand if you're a mechanic and you might have an XR8/SS come along but at the dealership I worked at, no young apprentices where allowed to test drive anyways.
Closed Thread