Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #61
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

people all love to show off ...is it their low IQ or looking for a frill thats illegal .there is no answer( plenty of old responsible people go to burnout comps that wouldnt even know how to do one).

when i was younger i did burnouts with mates by the dozens on old back roads ...question is were we still stupid ,well most of society thinks so .
in moranbah here they have in the last couple years sparked up the old burnout pad ,it is a great night out and all the young fellas i work with ( being cashed up youngens ) bought cars just for the burnout comps ,do they still let the odd 1 rip in their flash new cars or whatever on the road ....yep ,but i think it has dramatically reduced the amount . what gets me is why people need to rationalize everything the rest of the world does ,there are in my mind time and places and you can bet that it will never stop no matter what you do .

but for the life of me i cant get my head around a government that doesn't and wont put in such amenities ,and i feel sorry for those that live in such an area ..
Old 10-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #62
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An like 4vman has said some where on this forum the further enthusiasts can separate themselves from hoons the better . I think he is right if enthusiasts ever want to be taken seriously that needs to be done .
Lets face it building a drag venue will not make that blokes IQ any higher .
The only quick fix solution is to ban all rwd and adequately powered vehicles .
The strategy that government is using probably will work over time not the punishment side the side they use the media to make out you are a idiot for doing a burnout . So eventually they hope you will be embarrassed for dropping the clutch.
But it would probly be quicker if the goverment applaued it .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #63
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
It will never get to that point, unless every street ends in a donut pad.
Plenty of streets end in burnout pads!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #64
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Heres the straight dope because theres alot of dumb flying around in this thread.

There is currently NO operational drag strip in Adelaide. Not 3, not 2, not 1. None.
Since Gazanats has left to go to Perth there are no burnout events in adelaide.
A consortium is trying to build a track but the government are trying to block them. The track requires NO PUBLIC FUNDING.

As to whether a track would ease street racing and burnouts, I am unsure, but what I do know is, removing peoples rights to property, draconian laws, harsh penalties, have not had any effect. If anything our road toll is higher since their inception. Thus it costs nothing to allow the consortium to build the track and even if it has no impact, its better then not trying anything except increasing penalties until its illegal to even drive on the bloody road.

As to comparing this little static burnout to Troy Critchleys rolling burnout? Thats like comparing a shuttle launch to a bottle rocket. Drastically different power levels and speeds. Burnouts arent represented in traffic fatalities or even injuries in any significant levels. But dont worry, im sure someone here will bang his desk and ask me "what if it was your grandmother/daughter/dog/monkey/iguana/cousin/polar bear killed by a mad hoon doing a burnout in your loungeroom??!! THINK OF THE CHILDREN blah blah blah"

And to such hysteria my reply would be. Meh. I still have a better chance of being crushed by a barely literate hindi taxi driver trying to park ontop of me in Rundle Street in a dented AU. They dont end up on today tonight though.

Personally I dont see the attraction to burnouts, when you drive as much as I do, tyres are costly to replace.

So in short. Less hysteria please.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #65
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
There is NO venue for 1/4 mile offstreet/ comp meets in sleepy old Adelaide.. AIR is dead.. Tailem is up in air gettin it's sh.. Together.. And Mallalla only does roundy roundy's and drifting..
Yep, gone is the best venue (illegal and stupid) for a burnout pad, the Bay Car Park! And with a car park full of idiots, and the best pie cart around at the time, made a great night's entertainment. Was long ago though! Speaking truthfully, Adelaide is missing out on providing a venue for these enthusiastic drivers who like to leave licorice straps on the bitumen. Here's hoping AIR's gates are re-opened to help keep the tyre manufacturer's in business!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #66
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Yep, got no problem with a bit of a power slide out of a corner through a bit of extra right foot, but full on brake lock burnouts???!! : :

(yes i know the picture has incorrect spelling!)

Last edited by Walkinshaw; 10-03-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #67
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An off-street venue would give the genuine enthusiasts somewhere to go to separate them from the idiots. I know it wouldn't stop all the morons from doing it on public streets.

Taking cars and crashing them, will mean that those who lose them will buy bigger heaps of junk and use them, which will be more dangerous.

Onto this thread, i agree completely with flappist's post on the first page.

But again, a "burnout" or "hoon" thread and the same four or five members having the same damn argument.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #68
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183

But again, a "burnout" or "hoon" thread and the same four or five members having the same damn argument.
Same old arguments from both sides.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #69
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Same old arguments from both sides.

Yep, and i'm not on either side, i can see both points of view, and can understand both, some here can not.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #70
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I do see that they need a complex for the SA enthusiasts, agree completely. I just think it needs to be clear that the presence of one will not stop that particular moron or his mates. They will not go to the time, effort or expense to go to a legal facility. Their attitude is anywhere is their facility.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:01 AM   #71
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i'm very open and see all sides to every argument, i'm merely putting my opinion across, and i don't recall arguing this topic before?
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 01:39 AM   #72
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
has anyone been killed doing a burnout? lowndes talks about a car doing twice the speed limit which of course is dangerous, but a burnout?

i have probably seen thousands of burnouts (both legal & illegal) & i cant think of one time someone has been hurt.

it should be illegal to do a burnout on public roads, but the hysteria over burnouts by the police & media doesnt seem justified
We visited Melbourne over the Xmas break, and not one hour after we arrived at our destination, an idiot in a Commodore, doing a burnout on the street, lost control and hit a telephone pole. The passenger was cut out of the car. It was the best free entertainment for my kids! And yes, both survived and largely uninjured, but the car was cactus (even before it became an instant convertible). I showed my kids the damage and the passenger being stretchered into the ambulance to show them what happens when you drive like an idiot.

The kids even souvenired a commondore mirror.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 02:26 AM   #73
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
The kids even souvenired a commondore mirror.
that's borderline sadistic, but good message nonetheless.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 02:35 AM   #74
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
that's borderline sadistic, but good message nonetheless.
I know
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #75
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
That really would be a pathetic excuse...
I disagree Norm given the thread title. That said even if there was a dedicated venue to do burnouts, racing etc, there would be the excuses from the racers (I use that term loosely) alot of them enjoy the crowd it pulls on the street, or argue that the entry fee would be too much etc.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #76
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Huh, Gazzanats has left Adelaide????

No a drag strip may not stop steet burnouts but we still need a drag strip!

Yes, there is way more dangerous things than a stationary Burnout....
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #77
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Triple J, 5:30pm on Friday (for the Hack program) there will be a balanced discussion about this whole "hoon" garbage.

I've been in contact with them via email offered a lot of information that is glossed over by the mainstream media and the politicians. They called me yesterday arvo and we chatted about the waste of time, resources and tax payer dollars that goes into marginalising and targeting "hoons". Raised topics like:

- The value and size of the aftermarket industry (according to the AAAA) and how the laws were risking this $5b a year industry

- There is yet to be a definition of "hoon" given by any government, so as yet 0% of accidents involved hoons under the eyes of the laws. Even without that, no one has presented any data showing the number of modified cars involved in fatal accidents. The fact is we are grossly UNDER represented in the road tolls.

- The disparity between the punishments for drink driving and doing a burnout (repeat offending DIY don't have their car impounded etc)

- The misuse of the defect system, which was brought in to keep unsafe (re: bald tyres, excessive rust etc) vehicles off the road. Again, with the stats... show us where modified cars are involved in more accidents than cars with under inflated tyres, bald tyres, worn steering and suspension components etc.

- The waste of EPA resources chasing modified cars. If the governments were serious about pollution control and lowering emissions then business fleets would need to be "green" in order to be eligible for tax benefits.

- The fact that the road toll has actually been steadily declining for the last few decades, as a percentage of cars on the road

- The fact that speeding is used by governments as a tool to raise revenue through semantics - accident investigators can mark an accident with speed as "a contributing factor" even if the driver was in fact under the speed limit, but driving too fast for conditions.

- The fact that the road toll would be reduced if all roads were maintains, cambered correctly ad without potholes, cracks etc to maximise contact patch of the tyres.

- Also there is a complete lack of driver training to get your license etc...

Looks like I might get some time on air to talk about this stuff... fingers crossed we can get the truth out there! : : : : :
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #78
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
Triple J, 5:30pm on Friday (for the Hack program) there will be a balanced discussion about this whole "hoon" garbage.

- The disparity between the punishments for drink driving and doing a burnout (repeat offending DIY don't have their car impounded etc)

Looks like I might get some time on air to talk about this stuff... fingers crossed we can get the truth out there! : : : : :
The point you have made above is one of the largest for me. I will be sure to listen and hope you are able to get a fair run to make a clear set of arguments.
Sometimes only superficial points of view, regarding important issues, are talked about on the wash up.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #79
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka

I've been in contact with them via email offered a lot of information that is glossed over by the mainstream media and the politicians. They called me yesterday arvo and we chatted about the waste of time, resources and tax payer dollars that goes into marginalising and targeting "hoons". Raised topics like:

- The value and size of the aftermarket industry (according to the AAAA) and how the laws were risking this $5b a year industry

- There is yet to be a definition of "hoon" given by any government, so as yet 0% of accidents involved hoons under the eyes of the laws. Even without that, no one has presented any data showing the number of modified cars involved in fatal accidents. The fact is we are grossly UNDER represented in the road tolls.

- The misuse of the defect system, which was brought in to keep unsafe (re: bald tyres, excessive rust etc) vehicles off the road. Again, with the stats... show us where modified cars are involved in more accidents than cars with under inflated tyres, bald tyres, worn steering and suspension components etc.

- The waste of EPA resources chasing modified cars. If the governments were serious about pollution control and lowering emissions then business fleets would need to be "green" in order to be eligible for tax benefits.

- The fact that the road toll has actually been steadily declining for the last few decades, as a percentage of cars on the road

- The fact that speeding is used by governments as a tool to raise revenue through semantics - accident investigators can mark an accident with speed as "a contributing factor" even if the driver was in fact under the speed limit, but driving too fast for conditions.

- The fact that the road toll would be reduced if all roads were maintains, cambered correctly ad without potholes, cracks etc to maximise contact patch of the tyres.

- Also there is a complete lack of driver training to get your license etc...

Wow! That sounds great. At long last the real facts can be put out on the airwaves!

This thread was def not trying to give an excuse for the dh that did a huge line locker in Adelaide the other day, but ask the question would he have if there was a legal place to do it?

Yes, ppl would still do it on the streets but would it not reduce the amount that it happens on the street?

Ppl might say -"It's too expensive to pay entry fees to do a burn out"... but at least its legal and dont you pay for tyres anyway?

The problem is with a venue that would cater for this is that to work effectivly, they would have to be open all the time for whenever someone has the urge - ie. It wont work if its just open once a week....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #80
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I disagree Norm given the thread title. That said even if there was a dedicated venue to do burnouts, racing etc, there would be the excuses from the racers (I use that term loosely) alot of them enjoy the crowd it pulls on the street, or argue that the entry fee would be too much etc.
The thing is Dallas is that "no available facility" is not a valid excuse to break the law.

We need to be very careful to distance ourselves from "illegal burnouts" and legitimate, properly run motorsport like Drag racing and Circuit racing.

I'm sure the majority of REAL genuine Drag racers and Circuit racers do not partake in this kind of illegal stuff on our streets.

It serves absolutely no good purpose to "link" illegal stupid street activities with proper organized motorsport, in fact IMO by linking them it tarnishes an already fragile public image of drag racing and drag racers.....

Build a drag strip to cater for proper organized drag racing, build a burnout pad or facility, im all for proper motorsport facilities, but don't try to push them as a solution to this kind of behavior or you end up guilty by association.....

If you want wider public and political support you need a squeaky clean image....

Old 11-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #81
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289

No a drag strip may not stop steet burnouts but we still need a drag strip!

Yes, there is way more dangerous things than a stationary Burnout....
It was my understanding after the last event that Gazzanats wouldnt be returning to Adelaide. If that has changed, I may not have been informed.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 11-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #82
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
The thing is Dallas is that "no available facility" is not a valid excuse to break the law.

We need to be very careful to distance ourselves from "illegal burnouts" and legitimate, properly run motorsport like Drag racing and Circuit racing.

I'm sure the majority of REAL genuine Drag racers and Circuit racers do not partake in this kind of illegal stuff on our streets.

It serves absolutely no good purpose to "link" illegal stupid street activities with proper organized motorsport, in fact IMO by linking them it tarnishes an already fragile public image of drag racing and drag racers.....

Build a drag strip to cater for proper organized drag racing, build a burnout pad or facility, im all for proper motorsport facilities, but don't try to push them as a solution to this kind of behavior or you end up guilty by association.....

If you want wider public and political support you need a squeaky clean image....
The connection has already been made by the government and the media. Thusly its common knowledge by the general public, wrong or right, there it is.

You can either accept the reality, or substitute it for your own self made reality. It wont be very effective, but im sure it will improve your rose coloured tinting.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 11-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #83
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
The connection has already been made by the government and the media. Thusly its common knowledge by the general public, wrong or right, there it is.

You can either accept the reality, or substitute it for your own self made reality. It wont be very effective, but im sure it will improve your rose coloured tinting.
Well you can do 2 things: roll over and accept that as reality and then you also have to accept that you'll never get your track or burnout pad...

Or try to do the things that will improve public perception....

No skin off my nose, i have no interest in drag racing or burnouts, i do enjoy other forms of motorsport though and its disappointing that the image of the real motorsport enthusiasts gets tarnished by the D/H's.......

Old 11-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #84
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Never said it is and i agree

Quote:
Agreed there aswell

Quote:
Also gives peope with modified cars a bad name as they are all tarred with the same brush.

Quote:
This is true but you will still get twits that want to do it in the street to get that 'street cred'

Quote:
Spot on and it doesnt take much for the public support to dwindle after something like this happens
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #85
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Well you can do 2 things: roll over and accept that as reality and then you also have to accept that you'll never get your track or burnout pad...

Or try to do the things that will improve public perception....

No skin off my nose, i have no interest in drag racing or burnouts, i do enjoy other forms of motorsport though and its disappointing that the image of the real motorsport enthusiasts gets tarnished by the D/H's.......
Yeah no problems Norm, ill just tell my editor for the newspaper I own to write a story up with positive spin. Engage Alternate Reality Goggles!

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 11-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #86
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
there were rumours spread after the last event that it was the last one in SA, but it's on again this year. As is Mallanats.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #87
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
there were rumours spread after the last event that it was the last one in SA, but it's on again this year. As is Mallanats.

Thank god for that, I was about to start my hunt for a cheap E series manual I6 that I could stick a cam in and weld the diff.

I'm still holding out hope that one day me and my son can build a drag car together and race it at the Pt Adelaide Motorplex. (he's currently 6 months old)

Back on topic, There is no excuse for doing a skid like that with innocent bystanders around, But it was a stupid mis-informed comment for Lowndes to make.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #88
prydey
Rob

Quote:
But it was a stupid mis-informed comment for Lowndes to make.
he wouldn't know. govt happily make him tracks all over the country.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #89
sonic18
289 and C4 in a volvo

Quote:
I bet the guy in the Skyline was not sticking to the speed limit when he ran from the cops (on crowded streets).

Even in a burn out it is not hard to lose control, a pedestrian struck by car does not require a lot of vehicle speed to result in death, <20 km/h will do it.

Simple fact is it is illegal and unsafe, end of story and there are no excuses, particularly in areas shown in the video.
Dam strait
sonic18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #90
ch33z1l
Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
The only quick fix solution is to ban all rwd and adequately powered vehicles .
I actually saw a male P Plater spinning the wheels in a 04 Corolla hatchback going through a Maccas drivethrough. If you ban rear-wheel drive vehicles, they are always going to find an alternative.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post