Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #61
stevz
Banned

Default Re: Skoda Octavia vRS..... would you?

That Fabia looks like they've simply taken a Suzuki Swift and grafted a different front end on it. From side on it looks identical to a Swift.

I can't believe people are actually talking about Skodas as if they were desirable cars. IMO they look like they are straight out of the 1990's.
I could think of a million other cars I would rather own than one of these stupid looking pos.

Last edited by stevz; 04-01-2012 at 10:06 PM.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #62
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
That Fabia looks like they've simply taken a Suzuki Swift and grafted a different front end on it. From side on it looks identical to a Swift.

I can't believe people are actually talking about Skodas as if they were desirable cars. IMO they look like they are straight out of the 1990's.
I could think of a million other cars I would rather own than one of these stupid looking pos.
Wow, another fantastically constructive post on AFF. Best of luck mate.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #63
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais
Wow, another fantastically constructive post on AFF. Best of luck mate.
Best of luck with what?

Can anyone seriously say that this abomination looks good?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #64
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah I am getting a bit over the whole "im going post just to **** people off" attitude.

If you dont like the topic then simply dont press submit. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but blatant bashing/negativity is boring and childish.

Stev, EVERY manufacturer has its highs and lows.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #65
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Best of luck with what?

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't. If you can't deal with that don't post
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #66
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Good pickup, they do look quite similar.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #67
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have any of you noticed that all of the world's popular mass-selling cars are quite bland designs, often you can only tell what the car is from the badge? (A lot of the designs probably come from the same design studio, nothing new - remember Farina?)

Toyota is a master of this - the McDesign that doesn't offend anybody in particular and doesn't turn on anybody in particular, because different people have different tastes and you can't cater to all of them. It's part of a very successful sales formula and probably one of the reasons Skodas are also so successful.

Or you can do a niche market and produce a very individual design that will appeal to a few but not all. stevz nobody's listening to you mate, they're all busy buying Toyotas and Skodas and not Falcons. (Hint: maybe they like build quality and reliability.)
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #68
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Have any of you noticed that all of the world's popular mass-selling cars are quite bland designs, often you can only tell what the car is from the badge? (A lot of the designs probably come from the same design studio, nothing new - remember Farina?)

Toyota is a master of this - the McDesign that doesn't offend anybody in particular and doesn't turn on anybody in particular, because different people have different tastes and you can't cater to all of them. It's part of a very successful sales formula and probably one of the reasons Skodas are also so successful.

Or you can do a niche market and produce a very individual design that will appeal to a few but not all. stevz nobody's listening to you mate, they're all busy buying Toyotas and Skodas and not Falcons. (Hint: maybe they like build quality and reliability.)
No ones buying Skodas here, they only sell a couple of thousand cars a year.

Have you also noticed some of the worlds highest selling cars are also quite aggressively styled. Ford Focus, the worlds highest selling vehicle the F series, Australias highest selling vehicle the Mazda 3 etc. It goes both ways really, some people might prefer bland looking cars but if Toyota started making aggressive designs I doubt it would effect sales, as most Toyota buyers buy on reputation and percieved reliability than looks.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #69
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
No ones buying Skodas here, they only sell a couple of thousand cars a year.
Huge numbers of people buy Skodas in their other markets. They're new here yet they've already lapped, for example, the French cars and Volvo to reach the top 20 in 2011.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm no particular fan of Skoda's styling (it's no better and no worse than the marketplace average) but you yourself have also now said that styling is not the biggest issue in the marketplace.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #70
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Huge numbers of people buy Skodas in their other markets. They're new here yet they've already lapped, for example, the French cars and Volvo to reach the top 20 in 2011.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm no particular fan of Skoda's styling (it's no better and no worse than the marketplace average) but you yourself have also now said that styling is not the biggest issue in the marketplace.
People can forgive a car for looking bland, but not if it looks like a hatful like these Skodas. Thats what I was implying.

And there are buyers who buy solely on looks and some others who don't.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #71
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
People can forgive a car for looking bland, but not if it looks like a hatful like these Skodas. Thats what I was implying.

And there are buyers who buy solely on looks and some others who don't.
Well there's the difference you see - I don't have a problem with the styling, so we have different perceptions. So apparently do several million buyers of Skodas around the world in the last decade. No sales damage there.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #72
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

But in turn there are many who buy on features, fuel economy and quality...all Skoda happen to do pretty well in.

Looks are just to subjective, I agree it can make or break a car but when its such a middle of the road design such as above the number of people being offended is very small.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #73
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do these skoda`s really have the runs on the board? they used to have a smell about about them worse than rotting fish? they might have picked up their game in recent years, i still don`t think i`d be rushing out to buy one until they are proven on our little island.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #74
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Mate is just a VW in drag
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 05-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #75
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We were looking at the Skoda Octavia RS (diesel) when looking for a new car a few months ago. Nice car, great engine, but, the fact it's only a 4 star safety rating car threw us off. I couldn't believe it actually.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #76
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
do these skoda`s really have the runs on the board? they used to have a smell about about them worse than rotting fish? they might have picked up their game in recent years, i still don`t think i`d be rushing out to buy one until they are proven on our little island.
You're thinking of the period when they were produced under communism. Skoda has been around for more than 100 years and produced high quality cars before 1950 and after 1990. Even the ones produced under communism have a reputation for longevity!

The post VAG Skodas have been winning awards all over the world and rating high in the quality surveys. They're very popular in Europe and also selling in Asia. I'll leave it to a Skoda owner to comment but there's no word of any problem in Australia either - plenty of information to find by googling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Mate is just a VW in drag
Well a better quality VW in drag! There's a few little differences like the amount of space in the Superb.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #77
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You're thinking of the period when they were produced under communism. Skoda has been around for more than 100 years and produced high quality cars before 1950 and after 1990. Even the ones produced under communism have a reputation for longevity!

The post VAG Skodas have been winning awards all over the world and rating high in the quality surveys. They're very popular in Europe and also selling in Asia. I'll leave it to a Skoda owner to comment but there's no word of any problem in Australia either - plenty of information to find by googling.

Well a better quality VW in drag! There's a few little differences like the amount of space in the Superb.
What about SEAT, the other VAG brand. are they experiencing a resurgence too?
I mean in Europe.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #78
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't. If you can't deal with that don't post
Pot, Kettle?

Just because you don't agree with my opinion doesn't mean I'm not entitled to voice it. My opinion happens to be negative.... so be it.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #79
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
What about SEAT, the other VAG brand. are they experiencing a resurgence too?
I mean in Europe.
Less than half Skoda's sales and rating lowest of VAG group cars in the quality surveys. Nevertheless part of the VAG global push and sold wherever the name has a market presence. Many of its exports are also badged as VWs (perhaps because of quality issue?!). Their annual production has been static to falling over the last decade, Skoda's has doubled in the same time.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #80
stevz
Banned

LOL @ Seat. The only ones that saw the road in Australia were the ones that were given away on The Price Is Right.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #81
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Pot, Kettle?

Just because you don't agree with my opinion doesn't mean I'm not entitled to voice it. My opinion happens to be negative.... so be it.
Re read my post, you don't like it that's ok but asking how anyone could like it forcing your opinion.
Looks are subjective, I like it I'm not trying to force anyone else to, understand?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #82
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
We were looking at the Skoda Octavia RS (diesel) when looking for a new car a few months ago. Nice car, great engine, but, the fact it's only a 4 star safety rating car threw us off. I couldn't believe it actually.

Back in 2007 it was a 4 star car, it unfortunatly hasn't been retested even with the addition of more airbags, esp, etc...

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #83
Cheech
HELL YES

Quote:
LOL @ Seat. The only ones that saw the road in Australia were the ones that were given away on The Price Is Right.
It's a shame we don't get them here now.

I'd definitely sell the wife for a Leon Cupra R (195kw's & 0-100 in six flat)

The Seat's of old are nothing like the cars of today.

2019 Ssangyong Rexton fourby (the daily driver, tow pig & snowmobile)
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #84
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ Quite true.

Seat has had quite a renaissance after being reborn as a serious hot hatch brand of VAG.

If they were released out here, I'd definately give one a serious look.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #85
dkpioe

Quote:
Best of luck with what?

i think it does. it doesnt look like a falcon is why many people probably will buy it maybe its just too much of a contrast for you to handle

what in your eyes looks good? lowered early 90s falcodore with hip hop style rims?
dkpioe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 05:25 AM   #86
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Finally saw one of these in the flesh today, especially considering the price I was quite impressed.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #87
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[flame suit on]
Sorry .. I'm old enough to remember the old Skoda and what sh!teboxes they were .. Interesting how advertising can make something so uncool now cool. Being basically VWs I appreciate they are probably nice cars, but every time I look at a Skoda those horrible memories come flooding back.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #88
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
Finally saw one of these in the flesh today, especially considering the price I was quite impressed.
Have a look at the build quality of the Superb and compare it with the Falcon and Commodore which it directly challenges. If VAG has this mission of knocking off GM and Toyota for global market domination it needs, in Australia, to bring down service, parts and insurance costs and improve parts availability to the level of Holden and Ford. Then it will have a real chance of walking all over the local market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
[flame suit on]
Sorry .. I'm old enough to remember the old Skoda and what sh!teboxes they were .. Interesting how advertising can make something so uncool now cool. Being basically VWs I appreciate they are probably nice cars, but every time I look at a Skoda those horrible memories come flooding back.
You don't need a flame suit, just a bit of perspective! Skoda is over a century old, I think about the 4th oldest car manufacturer in the world. It made high quality cars up to the 1940s when its country was captured by communism. Consumer goods weren't a high priority of that system and Skoda was also isolated from the international market and exchange of ideas. Nevertheless the cars, although having finish and reliability issues, were solid and long-lasting. You can't judge today's cars by what happened during that period.

All that's totally changed since 1990. They're top of the quality and reliability tree and there are now several million of them sold around the world, including police, taxi fleets - they're even a fleet supplier to the NZ government. We're always complaining about how public preconceptions work against Ford - aren't you doing the same thing with Skoda? Don't let the facts stand in the way of a preconception lol!
Old 15-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #89
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I ' ve driven 1000 mb and 110/120 Skoda cars and loved sideways opening bonnets and aircooled rear mounted engines - made for interesting handling.
Back to Skodas of today - VW "cheap" brand , with VAG platforms and engines. Where is the Skodas input apart from(unfortunate) styling ?
These are good cars but not a smart purchase - no support, no resale and always needing to explain what Skoda is :-)
Oz is a very conservative car market and it is very difficult for the likes of Skoda to establish good reputation. Only need to look at their sales numbers.

Last edited by SumoDog68; 15-01-2012 at 01:02 PM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #90
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Skoda's input is better quality manufacturing and clever little ideas that improve on the VW base. The support is also VW based - any VW dealer can look after a Skoda. The local sales figures have been climbing - still small but now in the Australian top 20 for 2011 and knocked off the French and Volvo. It's all changing rapidly.