Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Should drivers face psychometric tests every 5 years?
Yes 32 45.71%
No 38 54.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31-07-2007, 07:40 AM   #61
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

In Germany they refer to it as 'the idiot test'.

When AUS kicked off its plan for an eventual National Driver Training Scheme back in December 2004, initially involving VIC and NSW pupils, and which you now see being adopted by the states - as the increasingly harmonised, graduated licensing system, a key part of this system and process - is to weed out (identifiy) those in need of particular remedial attention.

The system itself is 'defensive-driving' in nature (eg; component - hazard perception), with intervention strategies targetted at the 'cowboy' element, which seeks to identify them and interact with such by use of accredited driving instructors, facilitators, discusionary phone calls etc.

Our new AUS system is an adoption of an EU driver training scheme.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #62
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft

When AUS kicked off its plan for an eventual National Driver Training Scheme back in December 2004, initially involving VIC and NSW pupils, and which you now see being adopted by the states - as the increasingly harmonised, graduated licensing system, a key part of this system and process - is to weed out (identifiy) those in need of particular remedial attention.

The system itself is 'defensive-driving' in nature (eg; component - hazard perception), with intervention strategies targetted at the 'cowboy' element, which seeks to identify them and interact with such by use of accredited driving instructors, facilitators, discusionary phone calls etc.

Interesting. Would you mind linking us to some further reading? I would like to know more about this .
Old 31-07-2007, 04:57 PM   #63
mrniceguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
On the other hand, "finish the mission regardless of any problems, keep going, don't stop, ignore fatigue, ignore mechanical problems, ignore or kill anyone trying to stop you" is probably not a good mindset in a car during peak hour in the city
Sounds like me going down the shops to get some milk and a loaf of bread. But thats normal right?
mrniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2007, 08:38 PM   #64
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

A narrow idea, Psyc Tests for drivers, just imagine some old cocky out west with an FJ Ute sitting one and passing it...
Not that old cockies out west are dumb *hits, it would be funny to watch

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 08:40 AM   #65
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft

I wonder if a training video can be part of this. The idea came to mind when watching a Youtube video from Czech Republic that I recently posted on this forum. This clearly shows European driving practices that Australia lacks - like keeping a proper watch, moving over (keeping left in Australia) when somebody wants to pass etc. 15 minutes in front of such a video could focus attention on best practice. People respond to visual media in a way they never would to printed material.

I don't fully agree with the suggestion that this thread is discussing but there is a problem here that is deep rooted. The two factors I see are aggression and vagueness. I don't know how you deal with vagueness if its deep rooted in someone's personality other then by not giving them a licence - like not letting sombody fly a plane if they're prone to daydream in flight!

Aggression would be easier to deal with I think. Attitudes like being offended if somebody wants to pass you, that sort of thing. Darn it, you can't even use a headlight flash in this country because you don't know whether you are dealing with someone who just takes it for what it is or someone who regards it as a profound insult to their masculinity. A long road to hoe here methinks. :
Old 03-08-2007, 09:29 AM   #66
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Fines won't stop these people. Maybe a little bit of the Rattan accross the bum might drive the message into their heads?
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #67
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Interesting. Would you mind linking us to some further reading? I would like to know more about this .
http://www.fcai.com.au/media2003.php#may262003
http://www.ministers.dotars.gov.au/j...LPC_5_2005.htm

This ATSB link is the key site to read up on the NDTS:-
http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/novice_d...june_2005.aspx

What you observe as 'increasingly harmonised graduated licensing systems' around the jurisdictions, and how by way of media that is taught, is all part of the flow-on, 'creation' of this system:-)

It's emphasis, as said, is on the defensive driving component.

WA's audio file (MP3) of my Pdf Sig:-
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/...safe_part9.mp3

Basically, the departments are using a greater array of media to get tuition across, Podcasts for example.

Anyhow, the driver training system is developing, it must be equally administrable across the country.

NewtoFord - The video conceptual idea will probably be done, I'd like to push it somewhat, well see. It would need to show practical scenes, advice and outcome
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post