Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-05-2005, 04:03 PM   #1
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steffo you are living on an absolute fantasy world.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd personally prefer a supercharger due to less heat. It's user friendly and a whole lot less painful heatwise. Turbo's are great but generate too much heat for my liking.

Although I'd turbo my EL if I thought the auto wouldn't fail. If the $ were available I'd have a supercharged V8.

Tuned by Hallam Performance

Last edited by brenx; 22-05-2005 at 04:40 PM.
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Well this has turned into an informative, interesting and at times amusing thread, hasn't it?

It seems to me that some people need to calm down a little and realise it can sometimes come down to driver preference, and at other times a simple question of using the correct tool for the job, as was so well demonstrated by Caspers post. Ultimately, there is no real right or wrong, just preferences, both methods of forced induction do their job, it's just that they do it in different ways, but both have the same effect (forced induction, I'm not talking specific boost levels, just the fact that both methods force the engine to 'swallow' more air and fuel), just a different "character" to them.

I can appreciate both superchargers and turbos, and for me, it would come down to the particular engine that is going to have forced induction, as well as the intended use for that engine.

Last edited by The MaDDeSTMaN; 22-05-2005 at 09:08 PM.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2005, 09:19 PM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a low boost setup on a focus you dont want to spend heaps. You just get a good setup for what you can afford. Basically you cant have it all if you spend shit all. If its just gonna be a cheapy setup then forget about lag cause it isnt gonna mean anything. You dont want to flog everything so you dont have to get into technicalities. If you go low boost you just want a bit extra not flat out beast. When you want to have a beast then you get into the technicalities such as lag, top end and low end etc. Ive barely seen any S/C cars on the street that would take down a turbo. Basically every car ive seen on the street is either turbo or TT. You get whatever setup for what you want it for.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 03:14 AM   #5
Resty
Amon of Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
Well this has turned into an informative, interesting and at times amusing thread, hasn't it?

It seems to me that some people need to calm down a little and realise it can sometimes come down to driver preference, and at other times a simple question of using the correct tool for the job, as was so well demonstrated by Caspers post. Ultimately, there is no real right or wrong, just preferences, both methods of forced induction do their job, it's just that they do it in different ways, but both have the same effect (forced induction, I'm not talking specific boost levels, just the fact that both methods force the engine to 'swallow' more air and fuel), just a different "character" to them.

I can appreciate both superchargers and turbos, and for me, it would come down to the particular engine that is going to have forced induction, as well as the intended use for that engine.

I totally agree with this opinion, but relating to the topic at hand, to date there is no SC focus that puts down more power than a T focus. Period.

I've read heaps about 14 sec with SC and 13's with bb kits and thats it. The tq is not there with SC for the focus, the only thing close enough would be powerworks supercharger. 220whp and 200 ft/lbs of torqe. It's an M62 blower, intercooled. The company who put it together coinsides with Cosworth (so u know its done right).

The quickest streetable T focus's, there are 2 that I know of: 1. Tom Lesperance 518hp@w 1/4 time 11.88 auto on street tryes and another that was helped by HKS Japan putting down 449hp@w 1/4 time 11.35 on drags (not bad for shopping trolleys!! :P)

As for the SC from ford racing, if its the Jackson Racing one forget it, you'll get bored. If you can't get ur focus to climb beyond 250hp with FI then get bolt ons.
Resty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 08:05 AM   #6
Rod

give me a TTurbo anyday........ but i guess i am just biased

one thing to concidder is the fact that it cost's POWER to drive a supercharger were a Turbo is driven from the exhaust pressure

anybody old enough to remember the "Bandag Bullet" that thing was something that would please us all

Twin Engine
2 Super Charger's
4 Turbo Chargers
& a little giggle "GAS" to get it all moveing

regards
rod
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 09:36 AM   #7
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod
......... one thing to concidder is the fact that it cost's POWER to drive a supercharger were a Turbo is driven from the exhaust pressure........
This one always gets me, The net result of a Turbo or a s/charger is positive, but this concept of free energy in turbocherging, put any form of flow restriction in an an exhaust and the engine will take a hit. If the turbo inlet piping was not providing forced induction driving the turbo vane would be putting a definate hit on engine horsepower.

I'm not argueing the relative merits of either system, but this conncept of "free energy" is best kept for the sales brochures, there is no such thing.

RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 01:51 PM   #8
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Is blown, is good

Just avoid those "electric superchargers"!!!
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post