Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #61
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
so you got none of the above and still baught the car..
The book wasn't stamped but it was serviced every 5000ks.

Haven't received a pink slip with a car in over 10 years.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #62
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

How often do you see a car advertised that says the trannie was replaced X amount of kays ago?

Same applies to a diff or suspension bits? Even brakes.

Selling a car stating it has a rebuilt engine is just a selling point, so it's no misrepresentation.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #63
stang65
FPRJET

does a new heart make you a younger man, no the body stiil has the same amount of wear and tare on it. It has still ben exposed and weathered by the elements. And has still travelled the same amount of miles.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #64
RAPID_BA
Banned

The offence is in the ad where it says km and they put the km since the rebuild. Sometimes in the fine print somewhere there is a throw away line about the actual km
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #65
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Depending where the ad is placed. Place an ad in the paper and you get limited words before the ad cost sky rockets. So instead of saying the car has done X amount of kays but the motor has done less, they just use the motor as the selling point.

So no it's not misleading in anyway.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #66
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
to put it simply it is a criminal offence to tanper with an odometer or to replace an odometer with the intention to deceive. if you replace the cluster you have 2 options to remain legal
have an instrument tech set it to the same Ks as the old odometer " he will need to see the old one if he is ethical"
or provide documented evidence of the correct reading made up of the old reading the new reading at the time of replacement in the form of a stat dec this documentation should be passed on to all subsequent buyers
anything could land you in court for odometer fraud
I say again, what do you do when you restore a 40 year old car that has no dash board and you do not have a clue what miles it has done? What you are saying is that a perfectly restored car should not be allowed to be registered because you cannot establish the milage.

I could not care less abut the milage if the car was what I wanted and priced right. Also the milage on those old cars is often meaningless. 95000 miles could be 195000, 295000, 395000 or 1095000!!. How would you tell if it was restored!!

If you where to be buying a genuine 35000 mile classic that is a different story. As long as the owner does not try to deceive who cares?
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #67
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Default Re: Does rebuilding a motor entitle you to claim lower mileage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
So what do you do when you restore a 40 year old car that has no dash board? Should this now be made illegal because you cannot establish the milage? If you believe this you will make a lot of enemies on this forum.
LMAO. Answering a question with a point of view that others have not yet contemplated. Nothing to do with legality, however, an old body is and will always be so (OLD).
Old 18-03-2011, 01:26 AM   #68
colinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Depending where the ad is placed. Place an ad in the paper and you get limited words before the ad cost sky rockets. So instead of saying the car has done X amount of kays but the motor has done less, they just use the motor as the selling point.

So no it's not misleading in anyway.
It is if you say or imply the car has covered less kilometres than it has. Be upfront and give the true odometer reading, then list the selling points as you see fit to meet your budgeted ad price. No one will have any cause to complain then.

As a side note, I would probably not buy a car with a rebuilt motor unless I knew and trusted the previous owner. I've seen too many examples of where the terms rebuilt or reconditioned have been used far too loosely.
Old 18-03-2011, 01:35 AM   #69
colinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
I say again, what do you do when you restore a 40 year old car that has no dash board and you do not have a clue what miles it has done? What you are saying is that a perfectly restored car should not be allowed to be registered because you cannot establish the milage.

I could not care less abut the milage if the car was what I wanted and priced right. Also the milage on those old cars is often meaningless. 95000 miles could be 195000, 295000, 395000 or 1095000!!. How would you tell if it was restored!!

If you where to be buying a genuine 35000 mile classic that is a different story. As long as the owner does not try to deceive who cares?
What 1970's car doesn't have a speedo?
Old 18-03-2011, 01:51 AM   #70
Struggo

You can only put so much makeup on an old lady and call her a teenager
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #71
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinl
What 1970's car doesn't have a speedo?
Here's one of many

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-XB-COUPE...item27b95b5c70
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #72
colinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
Ah, that makes more sense. The car had one originally, but at some stage of its life it was removed and lost.

All I know is that it is illegal to misrepresent the odometer. I'm not 100% on the legislation regarding replacing an odometer. I do know that when I worked in the industry we always had the new speedo's adjusted to the old speedo reading before fitting.

In a case like you are describing the ad should be up front that the odometer reflects a rebuilt distance, not an original distance. Cars do come onto the market at times, that for some reason do have very low genuine odometer readings and they do tend to attract a premium purchase cost. By not being open and transparent with your ad, you could give the impression you are trying to sell the car as one of those rare examples that do show up at times, when in fact it isn't.