Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #61
venthan87
Starter Motor

Default Re: Toyota FT-86

Ft-86 Ftw!!!
Old 14-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #62
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Lexus LF-A?

Mid 1990s? How about TRD?
Old 14-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #63
Bossxr8
Peter Car

TRD never existed here in the 90's, and when it did make it here it was a massive failure.

LFA is already finished isn't it. And they lost money on every one they made, even though it was priced well above Ferraris and Lambos. For and image booster it was a bit of a win, as a business case it was a bit of a fail. Changing the body from aluminium to carbon half way through must have cost them a bomb, and then the engine failed to deliver, which required a lot more time and money to get right. If Lexus had of known the trouble it was going to have getting it to market it probably wouldn't have gone through with it.
Old 14-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #64
casabonka
You can call me Chris

thats unreal - will be due for a new car in 18-24 months or so - just enough time for a low kms 2nd hand one to be for sale!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
Old 15-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #65
Poetic Justice

Yep, TRD was a failure as far as the business concept went. Simply put it didn't produce the numbers that Toyota were going to accept, however if it were FPV in the same instance it probably would have stuck around longer.

It's interesting you mention how poor LF-A is for losing money on it, but I bet you have a lot of praise for the Bugatti Veyron eh? I must admit I haven't read any negative press on the LF-A, so who was saying that the car is no good?
Old 15-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #66
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
TRD never existed here in the 90's, and when it did make it here it was a massive failure.

LFA is already finished isn't it. And they lost money on every one they made, even though it was priced well above Ferraris and Lambos. For and image booster it was a bit of a win, as a business case it was a bit of a fail. Changing the body from aluminium to carbon half way through must have cost them a bomb, and then the engine failed to deliver, which required a lot more time and money to get right. If Lexus had of known the trouble it was going to have getting it to market it probably wouldn't have gone through with it.
...engine failed to deliver........now why does that seem familiar...BossXR8
Old 15-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #67
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Yep, TRD was a failure as far as the business concept went. Simply put it didn't produce the numbers that Toyota were going to accept, however if it were FPV in the same instance it probably would have stuck around longer.
Wasnt TRD a prodrive company the same as FPV?
Old 15-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #68
Poetic Justice

Prodrive had a share in it, sure. But if you don't get Toyotas results based on their investment, it wasn't going to last.
Old 15-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #69
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Wasnt TRD a prodrive company the same as FPV?
No, but all TRD Hilux's and Camry's came out of the same factory as the FPV's, Prodrive was contracted to do the work for Toyota.

I like the FT-86 and the LF-A, bold new direction by Toyota to bring back some of the sportiness of the 90's.
Old 15-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #70
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

I have never been to Melbourne International Motor Show, every year I say I will but this year its going to Happen. I am in love with this car, I can't wait for it.
Hope the wait is goin to be worth it, I will be extremly disappointed if it doesn't have the Oomph in Performance like its Aesthetics.

Bring it on ! It will be long 6-12 Months, impatiently waiting.
Old 15-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #71
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

[QUOTE=F6 FOON]No, but all TRD Hilux's and Camry's came out of the same factory as the FPV's, Prodrive was contracted to do the work for Toyota.

I like the FT-86 and the LF-A, bold new direction by Toyota to bring back some of the sportiness of the 90's.[/QUOTE]

Amen. Hope TRD have "Hardcore" Model for an optimistic $50k. I will Order
one in a Heart Beat.
Old 15-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #72
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe that the only real problem with TRD was that they were trying to push a FWD vehicle into a very narrow and staid RWD market.

HSV & FPV are all about V8s, RWD, badges, bling, large 4 door sedans and lifestyle rather than outright performance or advanced technology.

These are the cars that the people want to buy so if you want to sell a vehicle in that market you have to play by the rules.

If the TRD was actually a povvo IS-F that sold for $60k and was reasonably close the the others in performance then it I believe it would have been rather successful.
Old 15-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #73
Fireblade
Wizard Member

[QUOTE=divine_afg]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
No, but all TRD Hilux's and Camry's came out of the same factory as the FPV's, Prodrive was contracted to do the work for Toyota.

I like the FT-86 and the LF-A, bold new direction by Toyota to bring back some of the sportiness of the 90's.[/QUOTE]

Amen. Hope TRD have "Hardcore" Model for an optimistic $50k. I will Order
one in a Heart Beat.
It would have me looking in that direction when it comes time to buy a new car or changeover one, I have always been a fan of Toyota having owned more of them than I have Fords.
Old 17-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #74
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
...engine failed to deliver........now why does that seem familiar...BossXR8
XR8 for me brand new 40k.

Lexus LFA is what, north of 700k RRP, maybe more. For that price it would want to deliver.

Flappist Fail.

And by the way, I don't have the XR8 anymore.
Old 28-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #75
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Pictures and specs revealed

Larger official pics below.

Quote:
FAST FACTS:
Model: Toyota 86
On sale: mid 2012
Price: $35,000 (estimate only)
Body: Two-door hatchback, four seats
Engine: 2.0-litre horizontally-opposed four cylinder
Output: 147kW/7000 revs, 205Nm/6600 revs
Transmission: six-speed manual or automatic, rear-wheel drive
Dimensions: length 4240mm, width 1775mm, height 1300mm, wheelbase
2570mm, tracks 1520/1540mm front/rear
Suspension: front struts, rear double wishbone
Tyres: 215x40R18 front, 225x40R18 rear
http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...t_drive_review
Old 28-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #76
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I want one. If it is 35 grand, Id seriously think of selling the G6ET for one. I would prefer it had a proper toyota motor and not a subaru boxer though.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Old 28-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #77
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Do want, that would be a hoot!

Id rather the subaru noise, are they staying RWD or AWD? RWD + boxer turbo would be a handful.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 28-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #78
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Not boxer Turbo Poly, and it is RWD, would be keen for 1 myself.
Old 28-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #79
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Not boxer Turbo Poly, and it is RWD, would be keen for 1 myself.
Boxer at all? That would be a shame not to but I guess they are looking at keeping the costs down?

There is nothing for the price that will match it.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 28-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #80
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Do want, that would be a hoot!

Id rather the subaru noise, are they staying RWD or AWD? RWD + boxer turbo would be a handful.
Boxer NA.
Subaru supplied the block and Yamaha did the tweaking as they do with most if not all of the Toyota engines.

Subaru in AU have not yet confirmed they will make the BRZ available in OZ. This could also be due to their symmetric AWD marketing strategy.

Last edited by Wretched; 22-04-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 28-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #81
Fireblade
Wizard Member

At this stage I don't think there is a Boxer Turbo version coming out, most probably to keep the theme close to the original AE-86.

STI's version http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...117-1nk0w.html

Love the look of the Dash layout

Last edited by Fireblade; 28-11-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 28-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #82
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can finally reveal the stats etc. I have been holding these secrets for weeks. Haha, sorry - we do Toyota PR and car launches.

27 November 2011

TOYOTA UNVEILS NEW '86' SPORTS CAR
Toyota has taken the wraps off its newest sports car, announcing it will be called Toyota 86 or "hachi roku" in its home market, Japan.

The unveiling occurred when Toyota president Akio Toyoda drove a production prototype down the main straight of the Fuji Speedway, south of Tokyo.

Mr Toyoda said the new rear-wheel-drive sports car was all about "waku doki" - a car that creates excitement and gets your heart racing.

"I am very proud of this car," Mr Toyoda said.

"Thank you for the patience of car lovers. They are going to enjoy this car."

The 86 is a rear-wheel-drive car with intuitive handling that embodies the essence of driving enjoyment.

It features the world's first horizontally opposed D-4S engine, combining "boxer" engine technology with Toyota's cutting-edge D-4S direct injection technology.

The engine is installed front mid-ship to create an ultra-low centre of gravity and low inertia. It is the world's only horizontally opposed engine and rear-wheel-drive package.

As a result, the 86 offers fun driving at a level unprecedented in earlier sports cars.

It carries on the spirit of the AE86 Corolla in its aim to be a car that evolves with its owner.

The lightweight and compact rear-wheel-drive platform was designed to achieve superior handling and create the world's smallest mass-production four-passenger sports car (by volume).

The vehicle's newly developed engine delivers exceptional output and torque as well as superior response at low and medium speeds.

The D-4S, with separate twin injectors for both direct injection and port injection, boasts a high compression ratio of 12.5:1. This provides high output and high torque over a wide range of engine speeds and contributes to improved environmental performance.

The engine's redline is 7500rpm with maximum output of 147kW. Even so, the engine achieves fuel efficiency and environmental performance that rivals that of a standard two-litre sedan.

Customers will have the choice of a six-speed manual transmission or a special sports-driving six-speed automatic transmission.

The 86 has the lowest hip-point of any Toyota-brand production vehicle and creates a driving position suited for driving enjoyment.

The rear seatbacks fold down to the front to create a luggage space that can accommodate four sports wheels or two golf bags.

The exterior design features a predatory look at the front; the sides are a modern take on Toyota's sports-car heritage; and the rear view is wide and sturdy despite the compact cabin.

The interior design seeks the essence of sports cars by emphasising the form, placement and materials of each element.

The seatbacks and cushion surfaces are designed to provide support during acceleration g-forces from the front, the back and to the sides. In addition, the shape of the front seats is designed to prevent elbows from interfering with gearshift operation.

The circular steering wheel has a diameter of 365 mm, the smallest in a Toyota-brand vehicle. The wheel's surface was optimised with exhaustive feedback from test drivers to enhance steering performance and grip.

A three-cluster meter built around the tachometer has been designed with particular attention paid to display placement, markings and typeface to enhance visibility and readability during sports driving.

Main Specifications of 86 (Production Prototype)

Length 4,240 mm

Width 1,775 mm

Height 1,300 mm

Wheelbase 2,570 mm

Track
Front 1,520 mm
Rear 1,540 mm

Seating capacity 4

Engine
Total displacement 1,998 cc
Type Horizontally opposed four-cylinder, direct-injection DOHC
Bore × stroke 86 × 86
Maximum output 147 kW / 7,000 rpm
Maximum torque 205 Nm / 6,600 rpm

Transmission
6-speed manual; six-speed automatic

Driveline
Rear-wheel drive
Old 28-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #83
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Yeap just awesome. So even Toyota's has the boxer bottom end with yamaha top? Cool, I want to hear more about this engine.

Are they zip pockets on the subaru version..thats different!

Wonder who will be the first to flare it..LOL
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 28-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #84
Fireblade
Wizard Member

I think my pic of the dash is a concept version, it is far removed from the version Trippytaka has included in his post, damn that is always the way, have an awesome design, get excited and then water it down for the release.
Old 28-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #85
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think my pic of the dash is a concept version, it is far removed from the version Trippytaka has included in his post, damn that is always the way, have an awesome design, get excited and then water it down for the release.
Yep. That seems to be the way all the manufacturers play though - safe :(
Old 28-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #86
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm it seems that people are excited about this car but I’m not sure what the fuzz is all about???

The car does not look bad at all, however its nowhere near as good as the prototype was with the low ride hide gone, LED lights gone, other small touches gone, rear does not look as good …

Then there is the total disappointment of an engine, I’m sorry but 147kw these days is just does not cut it … hell in the late 90s, early 2000s Honda had 2 ltr engines delivering a lot more power while lacking such high compression ratio and direct injection technologies … and when comparing to the need breed of 2ltr turbo engine now featured in many car makes this engine is looking way underpowered (200nm of torque anyone). Sure in a 700kg Lotus this thing would be great, but this Toyota is around 1200kg if not more one all the features are added and that’s no lightweight anymore …

Handling wise Toyota can boast as much as they like but are yet to deliver … there are no impressive brakes featured on this car, ride high seems to be high suggesting tuning for comfort, wheel diameter while large is actually fairly narrow, tyres are common … so I don’t really see this thing out handling other cars in its class (e.g. Renault Clio 197 Cup)

All in all a poor effort in my book, people just seem to forget how much value the 2000SX offered at 40K, rear drive, same weight, a proper turbo engine, awesome handling especially drifting capabilities … somehow I get a feeling that the crowd Toyota is really looking for is the common hairdresser who likes to think they drive a sports car, vs the people who actually want to own a sports car and maybe do some work to it …
Old 28-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #87
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think i've just found our next car...a white one thanks.

Too many people concentrate on outright horsepower...a sweet chassis and good handling behavior is, in the real world, far more important. This is what people never understood about a lot of classic sports cars and why they are held in such high regard...it isn't the power of the engine, it's the way it goes around corners and gives you an enjoyable driving experience.

i think the giveaway is the sentence "It carries on the spirit of the AE86 Corolla in its aim to be a car that evolves with its owner"...obviously meaning there will be performance upgrades available or that being so "basic" in the first place that you have plenty of scope to modify later on.

Then there's also the huge untapped market of people who want a nice looking car, something sporty, but something that also lacks the big insurance costs and fiddly maintainance of a highly strung turbo...Ferrari looks with Corolla running costs.

Like the excellent Suzuki Kysashi AWD Sport we looked at before buying the G6E, the only thing letting it down was a bit more power, but the guy said the upcoming turbo model would see them walking out of the showroom in droves. I imagine there will be different levels of the FT86 available.

TRD could have been so much more...but at the end it degenerated into a T-shirt and accessory company. Hell, the last service we took our Toyota Landcruiser in for before we got the G6E included a lovely little box, about ten centimeters on a side, sitting on the passenger seat, plastered with TRD logos. Ooo...they gave us a little pressie for just spending nearly a grand on a major service! Wondering wha it was...a nice paperweight, some other little thing for the car...it turned out to be a genuine factory TRD spec...box of tissues...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 28-11-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 28-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #88
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I have a big dislike for Toyota (can't be explained) but I do want this and the Subaru to succeed. I want them to sell well and to perform well.
I'd like it to encourage other makes to release such a car. I would love it for Ford as part of one Ford to release something like a new Capri.
Old 28-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #89
Fled74
The Thread Killa

A new "hachi roku", eh? Spiritual successor to the AE86 Levin and Trueno, then. I want one.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Old 28-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #90
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it appears they have taken the concecpt to the Max but missed but that much.....
Closed Thread