Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-09-2005, 04:23 PM   #61
gtfpv
GT

i've often wondered about this myself i do not drink and drive and drink very little when out . then my wife drives home she is a non drinker. or i get a cab . even though i consume little. but i have often wondered that if you had 1 schooner of full strength beer would you produce a reading the next day . or if you had 4 would it be possible to be over the limit the next day. i know so many people who do this and drive the next day . many a time i have had 2 beers which in my opinion makes me tipsy . and have driven the next day .i'm sure i have never been over . but what if you were a p plater or bus driver . with a 0.02 limit or 0.00 limit.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 05:51 PM   #62
nang3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Well put. Getting an honest response from the 'holier than thou' crowd is easier said than done - but it is food for thought.

8pAc - in a perfect world, mates dont let mates drink and drive. But ive been thumped stupid trying to get the car keys off a paralytic "mate"... and the bugger still drove home. You do what you can but there's no saving some people.

Nang3 - there is some law/rule about cops giving breath tests to people who ask for em.
well it must be some internal regulation or something because when we ask why they never say that.. they just act as though its beneath them to do it... I dont see why they would enforce a rule that is putting people at risk..
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 07:54 AM   #63
8pAc
RDP #181

Quote:
Well put. Getting an honest response from the 'holier than thou' crowd is easier said than done - but it is food for thought.

8pAc - in a perfect world, mates dont let mates drink and drive. But ive been thumped stupid trying to get the car keys off a paralytic "mate"... and the bugger still drove home. You do what you can but there's no saving some people.

Nang3 - there is some law/rule about cops giving breath tests to people who ask for em.

Yeah but at least you tried and if something happened to your friend well there wasnt much more you could have dont to prevent it.
Camrys like most Toyotas have always been ugly, poorly equiped & brain crushingly dull but that's what a lot of people look for in a car unfortunately. I like my fridge, it keeps my beer cold other people like them so much they want to drive them it seems.
8pAc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 09:35 AM   #64
OXY-351

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
but i have often wondered that if you had 1 schooner of full strength beer would you produce a reading the next day . or if you had 4 would it be possible to be over the limit the next day. i know so many people who do this and drive the next day
This was the whole point I was trying to make in all my posts in this thread. It's obvious that most people on here, and indeed most people in society, don't condone drink. However, I would suggest that a large number of those people have probably driven over the limit at some point in their lives due to driving the next day after a night of drinking, or after they think they have given themselves enough time for their body to process all the alcohol out of their system.

Quote:
The thing is that most people probably don't think that they are still over the limit because for some reason having a sleep in between drinking and driving seems to make people think they are okay to drive, when in fact they may well still be over the limit if they have consumed a reasonable amount of alcohol the night before. But it's all ok because they don't get caught, so still assume that they have never driven over the limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OXY-351
Ok let me ask a question. If you started drinking at 4pm one afternoon and stopped at midnight, consuming a 6 pack of rum and coke and 4 stubbies of heavy beer in that time (not really a huge amount), would you drive at 10am the next morning?
Let me ask people that question again. I would suggest that a large majority of people would do this. Now what if I told you that this wasn't a hypothetical and it actually happen to me.

I got pulled up in an RBT at 10am in the morning after a night out as detailed above and got charged with having a BAC of .051. Now like the majority of people here I would never consciously drink and drive. As such, I knew I was going out drinking for a mates bday, so I organised to stay at a mates place and we caught a cab to/from the party from/to my mates house. The next day I woke up about 8ish and felt 100% fine, we had some breakfast and then I left. About 5 minutes down the road I got pulled up in an RBT and got done for .051, went to court and lost my license for 1 month and got a $100 fine, and when I got my license back I had to go back onto my Ps for 1 year.

Now that whole experience has made me a lot much more aware of just how long alcohol can stay in your system. Since then I won’t drive well into the afternoon if I’ve had a night out, which is lucky because subsequently I went to the football one night with my mates when my gf and I were suppose to be going out early the next morning about 8am. Once again I hadn’t’ had a huge night, but I had organised that she drive in the morning given my past experience. We went through an RBT on the way to our destination and she was fine as she hadn’t drunk at all the previous night. I then asked the officer if I could have a blow, and it came up with a reading of .06. Once again I hadn’t had what could be considered a huge night and I felt 100% ok.

After telling my friends of this, they are also now much more aware. One of my mates decided to go into his local police station one day (which is only next door lol) after quite a large night out and see if they would test him before he drove as he was concerned he may be over the limit. Lucky he did because he was .055, enough to get a similar punishment to me if he had been caught. The scary thing is that this was 3pm in the arvo!

So that's 3 times in the last year that I know of that I, or someone I know, have been still over the limit the next day after assuming we would be fine. For all those that are following the "holier than thou" attitude and saying that they never have never been over the limit while driving, how can you be so sure? Unless you've tested yourself each and every time you've got behind the wheel of a car, you can't be. But I guess I should be hung as well, because like the girl in this thread, I’m a drink driver too. Perhaps some of those doing the criticising also are, but it’s ok, because you haven’t been caught, so keep on.
OXY-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 10:10 AM   #65
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in QLD blood limit is 00 for learners and P Platers but in her case ,as she was driving on a learners ,its only a minor offence $250 fine (was only $30 fine)until two years ago,first offence expect $600 fine and 6 months before she can go for her drivers liscence again,
if car was unregistered the fines have doubled last year to around $1200 all up,but i did not see unreg uninsured in your post so ignore that.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 10:12 AM   #66
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

p.s has this been to court yet? if so whats the outcome?
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 10:25 AM   #67
jaytyn

I've had a friend killed by a drink driver. 0.138 was the drivers BAC in that particular case. No leniancy I say...
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 10:45 AM   #68
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok let me ask a question. If you started drinking at 4pm one afternoon and stopped at midnight, consuming a 6 pack of rum and coke and 4 stubbies of heavy beer in that time (not really a huge amount), would you drive at 10am the next morning?
OK I'm in a bit late on this one but bear with me.
Q1 What is the alcaholic content of the can of rum + coke?
Q2 On the can it says what the equivilent can is in standard drinks.
Q3 Same as 1 only for the beer.

NOW work it out. Two drinks 1st hour puts you there,1drink every hour keeps you there, 1 hour per drink back to little or no alcahol in your system. I have some cans of Smirnoff in the cupboard 7% alcahol = 2.1 standard drinks.
Old 30-09-2005, 11:15 AM   #69
OXY-351

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
OK I'm in a bit late on this one but bear with me.
Q1 What is the alcaholic content of the can of rum + coke?
Q2 On the can it says what the equivilent can is in standard drinks.
Q3 Same as 1 only for the beer.

NOW work it out. Two drinks 1st hour puts you there,1drink every hour keeps you there, 1 hour per drink back to little or no alcahol in your system. I have some cans of Smirnoff in the cupboard 7% alcahol = 2.1 standard drinks.
Rum & Cokes and Heavy beers are ~1.4 standard drinks, hence, I should have been well and truely under the limit by 10am the next morning. My point is ...

1. The whole 1 standard drink thing is only a guide, so you can't rely on that 100%

2. People seem to assume they are okay if it's a different day and have had a reasonable sleep between finishing drinking and driving.

The whole thing that annoys me is that you really have no idea what your BAC content is. I mean with speeding, you have a speedo to tell you if you're speeding or not (assuming it's calibrated correctly). What do you have with drinking? Nothing, so how can everyone be so sure they are not over the limit
Old 30-09-2005, 11:41 AM   #70
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A guide yes but you had 14 standard drinks,6 r+c + 4 beers,10x1.4=14. Finished drinking @ 12 then 14hrs later should be gone but you drove only 10 hours later so still some alcahol in your system. Use this guide and you prolly would have been OK by 2pm or at least only get a warning. :
Old 30-09-2005, 12:05 PM   #71
jaytyn

www.ru****ed.com calcuator for BAC based on what you have drunk and your height/weight... handy website
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 01:14 PM   #72
OXY-351

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
A guide yes but you had 14 standard drinks,6 r+c + 4 beers,10x1.4=14. Finished drinking @ 12 then 14hrs later should be gone but you drove only 10 hours later so still some alcahol in your system. Use this guide and you prolly would have been OK by 2pm or at least only get a warning. :
That's not correct though because I actually had the drinks steadily over an 8 hour period, hence the drinks I drank at 4pm shouldn't have still been in my system by the time I finished at 12. By the time I stopped at 12, according to all the guides, I should have already processed 8 drinks, leaving a further 6 in my system and meaning I should have been right by 6am. You should be starting your calculations at 4pm, not midnight.
Old 30-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #73
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
That's not correct though because I actually had the drinks steadily over an 8 hour period, hence the drinks I drank at 4pm shouldn't have still been in my system by the time I finished at 12. By the time I stopped at 12, according to all the guides, I should have already processed 8 drinks, leaving a further 6 in my system and meaning I should have been right by 6am. You should be starting your calculations at 4pm, not midnight.
Sorry mate....Wrong!! The time starts from when your LAST drink was consumed, from then it's .01 decrease every hour.
You are correct with a stubbie of heavy @1.4 drinks, but think you'll find a can of rum & coke is 1.9- 2 drinks. Which makes over 17 in an 8hr period.
They teach you ALL this at the compulsary "Alcohol classes" you must attend to get your licence back in Vic. The STUPID thing about these classes is you must FIRST lose your licence to enrol!! (talk about putting the cart before the horse!)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 04:25 PM   #74
OXY-351

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Sorry mate....Wrong!! The time starts from when your LAST drink was consumed, from then it's .01 decrease every hour.
You are correct with a stubbie of heavy @1.4 drinks, but think you'll find a can of rum & coke is 1.9- 2 drinks. Which makes over 17 in an 8hr period.
They teach you ALL this at the compulsary "Alcohol classes" you must attend to get your licence back in Vic. The STUPID thing about these classes is you must FIRST lose your licence to enrol!! (talk about putting the cart before the horse!)
Bullsh1t, It takes your liver about one hour to process the alcohol in one standard drink. So where do you propose the alcohol from my first 8 (standard) drinks had gone by midnight? Is my liver not working while I'm drinking? Let's put it this way. If I drank one standard drink every hour for a whole day (24 hours), how long would it be until I can drive again. By your reckoning, I wouldn't be able to drive until a whole 24 hours later after I stopped. Which is totally incorrect, I should be able to drive straight away.

Oh, and I'm not too sure about in vic, but a can of bundy rum and cola up here is 1.5 standard drinks at best, it's nowhere near 2 standard drinks.

Last edited by OXY-351; 30-09-2005 at 04:31 PM.
Old 30-09-2005, 04:53 PM   #75
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

OXY-351.... My sincere humble apologies
I Just re-read it..
The general rule of thumb is that 2 "Standard Drinks" in the first hour will raise your BAC to 0.05%, and one "Standard Drink" per hour thereafter will maintain that level. To do a quick calculation of whether you are over 0.05% BAC simply take the number of hours since your FIRST drink and add 1 to it. This is the number of "Standard Drinks" that you could safely have in that period. Then calculate the number of "Standard Drinks" that you actually had, and compare the 2 results.
BAC will vary according to gender, weight, level of fitness and age, but this quick and ready calculation can help you avoid the mistake of having "one more for the road" when you shouldn't. It's also handy next morning.

It's 8am, you really tied one on last night, but if you don't go down to the shop and get some more Coke now, you will die. You started drinking with the boys at 8pm and you must have had 15 vodkas before they poured you into the taxi at 1am. So let's do the numbers.

12 (hours) + 1 = 13 standard drinks "allowed" during that time
15 (vodkas) x 0.88 (standard drink equivalents) = 13.2 standard drinks
Guess what? You'd better ride your bike to the shop because you're probably still around 0.05.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 05:06 PM   #76
EA2BA
PM me if you want

She will get a juvinile record at least, so when she turns 18 it will all go away, she has a chance at least if she learnt her lesson, cop whats coming, live and learn.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post