Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-05-2016, 07:25 PM   #61
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: XR8 Sprint vs Clubsport LSA drag race video

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobar View Post
Looking at how our sprint 6 did on the dyno with crap fuel who's to say the sprint 8 in the video didn't have crap fuel.
Who's to say there weren't four bags of cement in the HSV's boot? Or a hamster under the accelerator?

Some of you guys should be script writers with your imaginations....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #62
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez those two blown V8s tearing down a drag strip sounds pretty good to me

Interested in seeing the Sprint 6 have a go.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #63
geobar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Who's to say there weren't four bags of cement in the HSV's boot? Or a hamster under the accelerator?

Some of you guys should be script writers with your imaginations....
Haha nothing. Same thing that's not to say there isn't a sneaky nos system in the HSV's boot.

Like I said the clubbie won. Plus one to HSV.

There will be other vids showing the sprint win. That's racing ;). But we must all agree it doesnt make sense that a car that has done 4.6 struggled to get under 5.
geobar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2016, 08:37 PM   #64
Rsmedley1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Not what I expected. LSA walks away. The roll ons show it. Tyres won't make that much difference.

The sprint 6 will get closer. But it don't think it will beat it
Roll on shows it???? From 50-170 the Clubby only pulled 1 car length
Rsmedley1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2016, 09:02 PM   #65
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Looked to me like the ford possibly jumped the start too...
The turbo 6 will get closer to the hsv than the xr8 will, stock fg f6s have run very low 12s with 310 kw which is on par with the hsv,bring on the xr6 with 15 kw more!!!!
It sucks to get smoked by a holden but it did happen,regardless.
I think it will be a fair fight between the turbo and the clubby,when the clubby gets busted open the world will end for holden fans!
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2016, 09:11 PM   #66
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Another factor aside from tyres is the LSD, how is it engineered to operate, clutch, mechanical gearing, electronic....

So another variable between HSV and the Sprint 8 is the LSD and how good it is in transferring the power down and preventing wheelspin....

Again, putting in a Truetrac/Wavetrac into Sprint 8 will probably improve traction, those with Wavetrac/truetrac care to comment if it improves power down....
I have a truetrac fitted to my G6E Turbo (along with the IMS Diff hat upgrade) and the traction is superior to my previous 2013 FPV GT and 2010 FPV F6.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-05-2016, 09:38 PM   #67
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmedley1234 View Post
Roll on shows it???? From 50-170 the Clubby only pulled 1 car length
So I'm the only one who thought the HSV driver didn't keep the boot in? In the rolling start video, the HSV starts leaving it behind, then loses virtually all of its advantage ... did he lift? The falcon didn't lose anywhere near as much ground on its gear change
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #68
Falcman0o7
Banned

I'd love to see what HSV could do with 5 litres...and ford with 6.2...
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2016, 09:56 PM   #69
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
Lets see the XR6 Sprint up against the VF GTS in a drag race video my moneys on the sprint
Why would the XR6T be any better than the XR8S? Figures published so far have the XR8 as the ever so slightly quicker car, so I have reason to believe that the result for the 6T would be the same as the result for the XR8.

How come a stock FG GT auto can do the 1/4 in 12.3 (which would kick the butt of the LSA), but the XR8 Sprint can't get under 13s? I mean, I ran my 12.1 on a set of Achilles ATRs, and this thing is running Pirellis. Only thing I can think of is that the strip was "green" and didn't provide any grip, which looks to have affected the Ford more than the HSV.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 06-05-2016 at 10:02 PM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2016, 10:20 PM   #70
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Sit inside a Clubsport or SSV-R and you will see where your money is going.

Also if this becomes a value contest, the LS3 SS wins hands down at $44k. The SSV-R is a handling package and it fulfils that brief superbly- it's one of the best handling sedans on the planet and there's plenty of data to prove it. Holden have absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about and honestly I'm tired of these cars being reduced to a quarter mile time. Hell, the Sprint didn't even win this contest and we're still implying it's better value? The brutal truth is the Clubsport does everything better- and is priced appropriately.

There's also the reality that people will have cross-shopped these cars regardless of price. If the Sprints were 90 grand they still would have sold all of them. Ford also encouraged these comparisons by allowing their reps to boast that the Sprints were benchmarked in acceleration against a GTS.
Wow, where do I start ?

FGX XR6T's are $42k driveaway right now and bang for buck, have much better power potential over the LS3.

My point is the XR8 Sprint offers a great mix of performance, tech and style at a great price.

If we're going to compare cars that have a $20,000 price disparity, why not put the XR8 Sprint up against the base model SS and see what happens ?....

Interior styling/ergonomics might be ahead of the Ford's but I could also argue that the Miami is a much more modern and efficient motor over the pushrod LSA... same can be said for the transmissions (ZF vs 6L90E)

The SSV Redline is $56k and no doubt a world class performance sedan but let's see how it fares against the $59k XR6 Sprint...

Understand, I'm not bashing Holden but we need to put things into perspective... and no doubt Ford would have sold them all at $90k, they're very limited production unlike the Clubsport, remember

I'm currently shopping for an FGX XR8 and my budget is around $50k... if I wanted to jump into a new Clubsport, I would have to find another $30 grand whereas I could take my brand new XR8 to KPM and for $10k, I can have a 500kW beast with full factory warranty... now that's what I call VALUE !!

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida

Last edited by Bent8; 06-05-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2016, 10:34 PM   #71
Rsmedley1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8 View Post
Wow, where do I start ?

FGX XR6T's are $42k driveaway right now and bang for buck, have much better power potential over the LS3.

My point is the XR8 Sprint offers a great mix of performance, tech and style at a great price.

If we're going to compare cars that have a $20,000 price disparity, why not put the XR8 Sprint up against the base model SS and see what happens ?....

Interior styling/ergonomics might be ahead of the Ford's but I could also argue that the Miami is a much more modern and efficient motor over the pushrod LSA... same can be said for the transmissions (ZF vs 6L90E)

The SSV Redline is $56k and no doubt a world class performance sedan but let's see how it fares against the $59k XR6 Sprint...

Understand, I'm not bashing Holden but we need to put things into perspective... and no doubt Ford would have sold them all at $90k, they're very limited production unlike the Clubsport, remember

I'm currently shopping for an FGX XR8 and my budget is around $50k... if I wanted to jump into a new Clubsport, I would have to find another $30 grand whereas I could take my brand new XR8 to KPM and for $10k, I can have a 500kW beast with full factory warranty... now that's what I call VALUE !!
59k for Xr6 Sprint? Hmmm I got mine for 60 Drive away.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #72
Rsmedley1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
So I'm the only one who thought the HSV driver didn't keep the boot in? In the rolling start video, the HSV starts leaving it behind, then loses virtually all of its advantage ... did he lift? The falcon didn't lose anywhere near as much ground on its gear change
The Miami is very strong down low and up high, the Xr8 all but matches the Clubby when it is nearing the end of rpm, but mid range the clubby is stronger, as is the Xr6.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:02 PM   #73
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
These two have the same size or smaller tyres than the XR8 Sprint.

XR8 Sprint
345kw with overboost 400kW
575nM with overboost 650Nm
1872kg
Rears are 265/35R19
0-100km/h = ?

C63S
375kW
700Nm
1730kg
Rears are 265/35R19
0-100km/h = 4.0 seconds

C63 Edition 507
373kW
610Nm
1797kg
Rears 255/35R18
0-100km/h = 4.2 seconds

Tyres may not be the only problem as sometimes it just comes down to good engineering.

Maybe Holden has a better chassis and the HSV is a better setup car because of it.

As already mentioned the base SS Commodore at $44k is probably the best all round value of the local product.
True.... and they all wear Michelin Pilot Super Sports...

Not saying it's just the tyres to blame but with over 280HP/tonne, the Sprint should be going a hell of a lot faster !

PS: 507 only has 500Nm at 2000rpm so not comparable to the XR8's 575Nm @ 2220rpm

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Old 06-05-2016, 11:29 PM   #74
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmedley1234 View Post
59k for Xr6 Sprint? Hmmm I got mine for 60 Drive away.
AU or NZ Dollars? ;)

Old 07-05-2016, 12:11 AM   #75
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cant believe they run 2.73's in them
would have thought they would have gone for something like 3.3 - 3.5
also cant believe the 400kw bit
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2016, 12:49 AM   #76
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
I have a truetrac fitted to my G6E Turbo (along with the IMS Diff hat upgrade) and the traction is superior to my previous 2013 FPV GT and 2010 FPV F6.
Hey mate

Very interested in this upgrade, especially the IMS Diff hat upgrade "DH".

With the DH, does that by itself lock down the rear end more, and what is the diff noise like, seeing as you have 2 bushes that really lock the diff in,

People say that a solid diff bush like CAT's bush- is more noise. Wondering about the DH- is in much harsher and noisy- could you still use it as a daily.

Sorry about questions, but this upgrade looks very solid engineering wise, and be good to hear from a person who has the unit.

Cheers

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2016, 12:49 AM   #77
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wow, where do I start ?

I think you are way under estimating the capabilities of the modern LS engines.

The LS3 SS with a Harrop supercharger fitted are making 460kW at the wheels with 9psi and more to offer if you wish and you get a car with a good base package to go with it.

That sounds like pretty good value to me.

Like the Fords the Holden’s are more than capable of producing power if the owners want.

Holden keeps them very tame so as not to step on the toes of the more inclusive up market HSV product where Ford doesn’t have to dumb the XR’s down any more as FPV is dead.

Take a look at what the Yanks offer in their Corvette, Camaro & Cadillac ranges.

So if you want to fight for power supremacy over the OEM offerings it will only come down to how deep your pockets are and how ridiculous your car becomes as a daily or weekender driver.

All these cars can only handle so much power before they become overloaded nonsense.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:52 AM   #78
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
True.... and they all wear Michelin Pilot Super Sports...

Not saying it's just the tyres to blame but with over 280HP/tonne, the Sprint should be going a hell of a lot faster !

PS: 507 only has 500Nm at 2000rpm so not comparable to the XR8's 575Nm @ 2220rpm
Just goes to show you don’t have to make copious amounts of power to be both mental and quick, just well engineered and a proven all day 4.2 seconds to 100km/h on 255 wide rears off the showroom floor is nothing to be sneezed at.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:44 AM   #79
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Wow, where do I start ?

Oh right, you're assessing value purely on the straight line prospects of the car. Quite an archaic way of assessing cars, but value is a personal assessment so you're not "wrong", but I think your idea of value is very narrow. I won't try to change your philosophy. I've owned all the current models (including LS3 VF, hugely awesome car with the 6.2L) and I have an XR6 Sprint on order, but I know its limitations (no heads up display, no paddle shifters or auto blipping, no adjustable steering or throttle maps, no user-adjustable electronic exhaust valves, no keyless entry, no keyless start, no push button start, no heated seats, no automatic windows, no blind spot tech, no cross traffic radar, no lane keeping tech, no forward collision tech, no colour cluster display, no soft touch dash materials, inferior seats, inferior air con, no ambient interior lighting, noticeably inferior build quality, I could go on for ages). Didn't matter to me when I ordered the Sprint, it's the last one ever and will be great. But I'm not kidding myself about what it is- and what it's not.

Also if you can find a $42k '16 XR6T, jump on it. There are some '15s out there, but I got laughed out of dealers trying to get close to that on a '16, most of them came back with at least $48k and there are virtually none out there so they can charge what they want. Same with XR8, you will be looking at quite an old build or demo to get close to $50k. I kept getting firm XR8 quotes in the mid-high 50s so I ordered the Sprint instead.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2016, 01:57 AM   #80
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

The above explains why one needs to own many cars. They all do different things....

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2016, 04:05 AM   #81
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol @ people saying its not appropriate to run these two cars together

aren't they roughly the best from Holden and Ford?

seems pretty intuitive to me
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2016, 04:12 AM   #82
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just had a look on carsales - the LSA is $76k

what are people paying for XR8 Sprint?

I don't think the Ford is any better value than the Holden

I prefer the Ford, don't get me wrong, but some people need to be a bit realistic

the car you drive doesn't have to be the best at everything, just relax and enjoy it for what it is guys
8 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2016, 04:15 AM   #83
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
The above explains why one needs to own many cars. They all do different things....
I can't understand people having more than one Commodore or Falcon

if I had the coin for a second car I'd go a Lotus, or Cayman or something agile to compliment the Falcon, not something that is almost the same
Old 07-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #84
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Hey mate

Very interested in this upgrade, especially the IMS Diff hat upgrade "DH".

With the DH, does that by itself lock down the rear end more, and what is the diff noise like, seeing as you have 2 bushes that really lock the diff in,

People say that a solid diff bush like CAT's bush- is more noise. Wondering about the DH- is in much harsher and noisy- could you still use it as a daily.

Sorry about questions, but this upgrade looks very solid engineering wise, and be good to hear from a person who has the unit.

Cheers
The other bushes still fail, doesn't matter who's they are. Make the diff bush strong enough and you'll break the back of the diff housing where the bolt goes in.

Apart from chasing a driveline back lash issue which is causing a 'clunk' during light throttle/trailing throttle, the Independent Motorsport diff hat upgrade transfers no more noise than the stock diff with upgraded comfort bushes.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #85
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky. View Post

if I had the coin for a second car I'd go a Lotus, or Cayman or something agile to compliment the Falcon, not something that is almost the same
Spot on shonky, horses for courses.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #86
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:

So having an XR8 sedan, XR6 ute sedan , Territory turbo . VF V8 wagon, VE V6,
BA F6 , BF F6

No Good ????? All those cars seem different to me.

And if I ever wanted a sports car I would buy one.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #87
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Wow, where do I start ?

I was sold on your argument until I read the portion in bold...
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #88
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Agreed Shonky, if I had a lazy chunk of money, I would go a modern open wheeler, like the Catterham, or one of those ilk, where you are in the open, on the road, like a BAC mono, where it would feel like you are on a motorbike, but with 4 wheels and better brakes/handling....

Take that out on a sunny weekend drive through a remote country drive....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #89
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
I was sold on your argument until I read the portion in bold...
Yeah ... not sure if sarcasm or serious with that bold line.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #90
toohey myster
Starter Motor

like someone said take motors videos with a grain of salt wait till jesse taylor or the like have tested before pasting judgement
toohey myster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post