Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #61
henry351

Default Re: what is the worst mistake your mechanic done to your car ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Hows being an untrustworthy piece of crap going for you?

Because thats the stereotype, LOL.
Left the trade like most good mechanics do twice the pay an better work.
Pay peanuts you get monkeys.
henry351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #62
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

I had a mechanic crash my brand new T3 TE50 at its first service, just under a week old... That's the worst mistake a mechanic can make I think?
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #63
guidedog

mechanics can give u a written quote for a job ,but then can charge u more because this and that was broken too.in my job if i give a quote to fix or fit a new product ,and i take 1 hour longer or2 i can not charge extra (why can mechanics get away with this ?) i had a cortina that needed a new clutch so got one fitted by a mechanic ,but later on charged me extra because he had to take it out twice.there were 2 differend bearings for the imput shaft and he fitted the wrong one .now that is just not fair
guidedog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #64
Kesh

Forgot to put the black surround on the AU's headunit..

Yeah I've had a pretty good run
Kesh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #65
guidedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry351
Biggest mistake i have seen is myself becoming a mechanic, must be the most underpaid thankless job you could ever have.
mechanic next door charges $140 per hour ,and i a glazier only can charge about $60-$80 per hour (how is that for under paid then )under paid or not i still take pride in my workmanship because i am a tradesman
guidedog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #66
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Dealership forgot to tighten up sump plug on Bosses new Fairlane......
Fortunately a big puddle of oil in the driveway warned him all was not well.
Apologies from dealer principle, bottle of champagne and cheese platter as peace offering...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #67
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidedog
mechanic next door charges $140 per hour ,and i a glazier only can charge about $60-$80 per hour (how is that for under paid then )under paid or not i still take pride in my workmanship because i am a tradesman
and he probably takes $20-$25 per hour out of that, but that's getting off topic

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #68
red_hotxr6
Banned

I had the camshaft changed in my xf, along with the rockers, as this was what was causing the problem. Got the car back and for some reason the car took 3 goes to turn over, it ran like crap, and with the cash in his back pocket the mechanic said he had done all he could, his work was all ok and above board...In the process of taking this further i decided to check the plugs and leads, and found after taking the leads off, every one of the plugs enamel was broken, i had the hardest time removing them from the head. He must have put them in with a rattle gun...6 new plugs runs brilliantly..
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #69
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A workmate had a similar "hoist" accident at a Toyota dealer with his Prado. It only slipped a bit, but if it had fallen , it would have gone sideways down onto the ground. He was pretty angry, and said to me "I mean, how would you feel if they did that to your Celica and it fell off the hoist onto the ground??"

I replied "I'd calmly go in and look, and say to the dealer "Thanks mate...you can keep this one...I'll pick up my new red 86 you're buying for me as soon as you can order one in, with all the options."..."
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #70
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

[QUOTE=jimt3te50]I had a mechanic crash my brand new T3 TE50 at its first service, just under a week old... That's the worst mistake a mechanic can make I think?[/QUOTE ]
That's got to hurt. What was the outcome?
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #71
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

[quote=teak81]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50
I had a mechanic crash my brand new T3 TE50 at its first service, just under a week old... That's the worst mistake a mechanic can make I think?[/QUOTE ]
That's got to hurt. What was the outcome?
It was about $9,500 worth of damage and all they were obligated to do was repair it under insurance- i demanded a new car but got nowhere. Luckily there was no panel damage, but all wheels, couple of tyres, rear bar and some suspension components had to be replaced with new. It was all done properly, data-dotted etc and never gave an issue since but 3 weeks without my brand new T3 which I'd just paid $70k for was killing me!!

Guy didn't get the sack but made an apology which wouldnt have been easy to do. I've just bought a new GT but not from this dealer....
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #72
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown
The only things mechanics forget is to tell me the correct quote when I first go in. Just about every time get hit with a higher price then quoted when I pick my car up.

Wondering if some mechanics tamper with things to make you come back. Wife took her car for a radiator flush and then after having troubles later that night found the starter motor nuts hanging by a thread.
definately shonks out there.. bought a car off my sister that had always been serviced by the same mechanic dude...

came across loose sparkplug, sump plug and oil filter..

all ready to cause grief and big dollar items to fix..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #73
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Picked an old Fiat up from the panel beaters many years ago. first time that I turned the headlights on all the fuses blew. the mechanic had connected up all the wiring incorrectly and not even bothered to check to see if the lights worked before handing over the car.
Olbucko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #74
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry351
Left the trade like most good mechanics do twice the pay an better work.
Pay peanuts you get monkeys.
Average dealership mechanic is on less than $20 an hour on the workshop floor, thats what they were on at Honda anyways,

As auto elecs at my work we're on $25 an hour, but I guess compared to other trades its still low.

You'd only make decent money if you owned your own workshop, even then with all the $$$ you have to put into diagnostic tools which aren't cheap, hoist etc.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #75
123Cat
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The brakes were done on the ED, wife drove it one day , I drove and it rattled , all wheels were loose
Old 02-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #76
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Several years ago I had a Toyota Hilux Surf (Turbo Diesel) It had a crook front strut which was replaced under the statutory warranty. Picked the car up late in the afternoon with wife and kids on board, decided to have a bit of dinner in Wollongong before heading home to Nowra on the South Coast. All was good until we got a little south of Kiama and suddenly there was a strong burning smell and then the whole cabin filled with smoke. I pulled the car over to the side of the road and we all piled out quickly. The wind was blowing a gale and sparks were flying out from under the front car and it was glowing red. I thought it was going to explode and we quickly grabbed the kids and moved right away After a few minutes the glow dulled and the sparks stopped, upon investigation under the bonnet it became evident that the mechanic had carelessly dropped an oily rag down on the lower part of the engine pipe which after a period of time had managed to get hot enough to ignite and did I got it back after a couple of months and sold it not long after. It still affects us all now, whenever we smell a burning smell when driving it reminds us off that night
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #77
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Aah how could I forget this, Ultratune not filling my engine up with oil.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ht=Northbridge

3 years on and this has never happened since, reinforcing my conclusion they stuffed up, despite saying they couldnt possibly have.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #78
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Average dealership mechanic is on less than $20 an hour on the workshop floor, thats what they were on at Honda anyways,

As auto elecs at my work we're on $25 an hour, but I guess compared to other trades its still low.

You'd only make decent money if you owned your own workshop, even then with all the $$$ you have to put into diagnostic tools which aren't cheap, hoist etc.
auto sparkies where i work are on $37hr..
Old 02-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #79
NeillNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has contributed a number of great technical articles for people with X Series cars. 

work van. Oil leak on front crank seal, after only 70k from new. Less than 6 months out of warranty and they refused to contribute anything towards the repair. The repair involved replacing the oil contaminated cam belt. All up cost over $2k. Takes longer than expected but finally ready for pick up just as the stealership closed on a Friday night.

Fuel was near empty so went to fill up. Open fuel flap to see not my fuel cap but an oily rag stuffed in the filler! Because it was dark I did not notice the oil stains on the seats until the next day. Was thinking the service manager was going to get it in the ear Monday morning.

Did not get there Monday morning because driving home on a Sunday afternoon just as I approached one of the busiest intersections in Wellington the cam belt fell off! Luckily I reacted quick enough, pushed in the clutch a coasted to a relatively safe spot int he middle of the road. Got a tow home. Come Monday morning I certainly did not hold back when explaining to the service manager how less than completely satisfied I was!

But wait, there's more. Service manager reckons just need to do up the timing sprocket properly. I'm like, but what about the damage to the valves, head and perhaps pistons. He says should be fine mate. I'm sure there are an "interference fit" engine. After a week of them working on it, "oh yeah mate, the head is stuffed" I complain again and they say they will fit a new head. Another week goes by, go to pick it up. After driving for 20 mins oil warning light comes on.,....

Still that was not the end of it....
Old 02-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #80
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeillNZ
work van. Oil leak on front crank seal, after only 70k from new. Less than 6 months out of warranty and they refused to contribute anything towards the repair. The repair involved replacing the oil contaminated cam belt. All up cost over $2k. Takes longer than expected but finally ready for pick up just as the stealership closed on a Friday night.

Fuel was near empty so went to fill up. Open fuel flap to see not my fuel cap but an oily rag stuffed in the filler! Because it was dark I did not notice the oil stains on the seats until the next day. Was thinking the service manager was going to get it in the ear Monday morning.

Did not get there Monday morning because driving home on a Sunday afternoon just as I approached one of the busiest intersections in Wellington the cam belt fell off! Luckily I reacted quick enough, pushed in the clutch a coasted to a relatively safe spot int he middle of the road. Got a tow home. Come Monday morning I certainly did not hold back when explaining to the service manager how less than completely satisfied I was!

But wait, there's more. Service manager reckons just need to do up the timing sprocket properly. I'm like, but what about the damage to the valves, head and perhaps pistons. He says should be fine mate. I'm sure there are an "interference fit" engine. After a week of them working on it, "oh yeah mate, the head is stuffed" I complain again and they say they will fit a new head. Another week goes by, go to pick it up. After driving for 20 mins oil warning light comes on.,....

Still that was not the end of it....
ten litres of petrol.. burn the joint to the ground..
Old 02-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #81
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
ten litres of petrol..
Being a bit generous arent ya...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #82
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

A couple of brake jobs I've come across

1 where the brake pads were put in the wrong way around..The shonk told the customer, the noise was due to hard brake pad material...

Another where I told the owner they needed new brake pads, as they were metal to metal...They went away and said, they'd do them next week, as they had no money....Car came back 2 days later on a tow truck, with exploded rotors.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #83
KIWI-1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
where the brake pads were put in the wrong way around..The shonk told the customer, the noise was due to hard brake pad material...
I always wondered what Bendix Metal brake pads were.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #84
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

Some years ago I bought an XH Longreach ute with the intention of making it a quality touring/camping car. It was factory dual fuel, tray liner and canopy, five alloys (not the usual four with a steel spare) and under the tub liner the tray was immaculate (found later when I pulled the liner out). Just the blank canvas I was seeking.

First issue, it DRANK lpg. A lot. A heap. Dealer wasn't too interested, it ran on gas therefore all was good. One new computer alter and that was fixed.

Next issue, the power steering pump leaked. As it was a fluid leak this was a warranty issue, so back it went. Dealer's mechanic was two doors up from the bloke. Mechanic replaces the pump and calls a hydraulic fitter to make a new hose in a hurry. Hyd bloke solders the hose and unknowingly blocks it. Next morning, mechanic puts the jigsaw back together and starts the car. BANG! Power steering pump number two refused to turn, as expected, and turned the belt tensioner inside out, breaking it and shredding the new belt. Quick phone call, Mr Frog, your car will take a bit longer than expected.

Next day I picked up the ute with power steering pump number three and a new tensioner. By this time I was a bit sus on this bloke and his dodgy-brothers mechanic so I took the car straight to the work mechanics. Dodgy brother had installed the wrong tensioner so the belt was wearing a series of lovely grooves in the tensioner mounting bracket. Phone call, Hello Dealer? This is Frog. I will be dropping my ute back this afternoon, I expect it ready by tomorrow...

Tomorrow arrives and self and Mrs Frog go to pick up the ute. Frogs and dealer walk to Dodgy Repairs inc to see Mr Dodgy reversing the ute out of his workshop, door open and looking back to make sure he wasn't going to hit the fence. SO far, all good. Then he sees us and gets out of the still running and in gear ute to greet us! After we dove out of the road while Dodgy arrested the runaway ute, I just looked at the dealer and said "I will be back tomorrow afternoon to collect my ute. It WILL be ready. You have been warned."

A while after all this, dealer closed his doors. Dodgy Brothers were still going when I left Adelaide late last year. I told everyone I could see not to go to either establishment. I traded the ute for a 4WD that has seen far more use.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #85
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just remembered this one from about 20 years ago. I got a new stereo installed to replace the radio in my old XB. Had it going for about ten minutes before smoke started coming out of the dash...

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #86
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Aah how could I forget this, Ultratune not filling my engine up with oil.
ahh yes, those idjits....

some years ago my mum took her zd fairlane to the local one for a straight service. My dad was a mechanic & the car was perfect motorwise, but he had died since & the car just needed a service....

..car came back with a major valve problem. They denied everything & tried to bs her ( 50 year old woman- what would she know about cars?) - she was more upset that they had broke my late dads pride & joy than anything else.

While this was happening, my brother had also booked his 75 LTD in for a service the day after. He forgot some papers he needed, so went back about an hour later to get them. What he found was his car being thrashed on the dyno -they were apparently pushing it so hard it was almost cresting the rollers . He stood & watched for a few minutes, when one of the "mechanics" watching noticed him (but didnt realise he was the cars owner). The guy said "can we help you?" and he said "yes you can get my #%%(*& car off that dyno right now". Oops.

When they realised that the ZD & the LTD came from the same household, in light of what my brother had caught them doing they offered to fix the ZD for half price but still denied any responsibility. I believe mum took them up on the offer but in the meantime had found a mechanic she trusted (who we are still using) who "vetted" the work.
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #87
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Upon getting home from picking up the Fiesta from Dale Ford (now bankrupt) after getting $10K worth of rusted parts replaced... I popped the bonnet and noticed the clamps near the airbox hadn't been done up at all. So I tightened them, and slightly worried, took the car to my local mechanic who then spent an hour underneath the car correctly tightening/tensioning everything that hadn't been done properly. Fortunately, as a long time cutomer, he didn't charge me.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #88
SavVYute

Got a phone call to say my car was ready to collect (brake fluid flush done).
Notice I can smell brake fluid on the drive home. The mechanic had left the lid off the brake fluid reservoir........ and the rubber caps for the brake bleed nipples were all missing. Luckily the cap was still under the bonnet.

I refitted the cap and took it back. No apolgy. Just went out to the workshop and took the nipple covers off another customer's car on the hoist and handed them to me.
SavVYute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #89
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavVYute
Got a phone call to say my car was ready to collect (brake fluid flush done).
Notice I can smell brake fluid on the drive home. The mechanic had left the lid off the brake fluid reservoir........ and the rubber caps for the brake bleed nipples were all missing. Luckily the cap was still under the bonnet.

I refitted the cap and took it back. No apolgy. Just went out to the workshop and took the nipple covers off another customer's car on the hoist and handed them to me.
You don't realise how important those little caps are untill you try to undo the bleed screws on a car without them that has driven through lots of water and mud for a few years.

Some "mechanics" couldn't be trusted to change their underpants!

Last edited by Olbucko; 03-09-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Olbucko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #90
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
I had a 205 GTi, which the mechanic tried to tell me was a special import because it was a turbo. And was hesitant to work on it because his manual didn't cover turbos.

I asked him to show me the turbo, and he pointed to the siren for the disconnected alarm.

I said ok, and took the car to a specialist repair bloke.
Jesus Christ, After reading this all I can think about is a monkey sitting on the floor with a wrench in its hand hitting an engine block and scratching its head.