Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #61
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
If you are after full rotating assembly ... stage 2 head and cam package ... it is getting close to the $6K mark ... but that's getting a brand new block ... all new internals.
Thats what got me confused Sly... to me it sounded like a brand new block, not a bored block... unless there is 2 options, bored block or new block???
Old 06-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #62
sly
Sly like a G6

Maybe he can source brand new stock blocks which he bores out? I've not seen any mention of a new casting.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #63
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Maybe he can source brand new stock blocks which he bores out? I've not seen any mention of a new casting.
Well that sounds more likely the case... but $6k+ for what is technically a 2nd hand engine thats been modded... doesnt sound all to good comapired to simply dropping in an AU engine into my XG ute...for under $1k...
Old 06-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #64
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With a forged bottom end, head and cam package, $6k sounds fairly reasonable. Check out the prices for Forged bottom ends from Atom and head and cam packages from JMM
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #65
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
With a forged bottom end, head and cam package, $6k sounds fairly reasonable. Check out the prices for Forged bottom ends from Atom and head and cam packages from JMM
Well i meant that its not all that resonable to me... my budget simply cannot stretch that far unfortunatly...
Old 06-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #66
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
Well that sounds more likely the case... but $6k+ for what is technically a 2nd hand engine thats been modded... doesnt sound all to good comapired to simply dropping in an AU engine into my XG ute...for under $1k...
Lotta mods though, and very high precision needed to line the bores up exactly. Fair enough if the budget doesn't stretch that far, but $6K is quite reasonable if it delivers 200RWKW. I've been working on a rule of thumb of $100 per 1% increase in RWKW, based on pricing for Jim Mock DEV packages and the CAPA Powerdyne kits. But this engine package blows that equation away at well under the benchmark of $10K for the power it offers.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #67
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

I think the point a lot of people on here are making is its still a hell of a lot of money for an AU 6 cylinder. I'm sure there will be 1 or 2 of us that will go down this route, there always is, but at the end of the day most won't spend the asking price

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #68
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprjenkins
I think the point a lot of people on here are making is its still a hell of a lot of money for an AU 6 cylinder. I'm sure there will be 1 or 2 of us that will go down this route, there always is, but at the end of the day most won't spend the asking price
Same applies to superchager kits, turbo kits, jmm packages, the list goes on and on.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #69
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I know I'd love to get this put in the work ute ... but funds don't permit at the moment.

But it is well suited to others that already have head and cam packages already ... all they need to get is the bottom-end really. And the good thing about it is ... it still looks nice and stock from the exterior of the engine as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 11:33 PM   #70
sly
Sly like a G6

And that stock appearance will appeal to people who have a problem with the visibility of forced induction.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 07-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #71
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
the block is technically used but bored and sleved so it is as goos or better than new all other bits are new so this sounds like a good package . in regards to cost " speed is a question of money! how fast do you want to go

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #72
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
the block is technically used but bored and sleved so it is as goos or better than new all other bits are new so this sounds like a good package . in regards to cost " speed is a question of money! how fast do you want to go
Well its not for drags and stuff... but i was looking for the torque... but for me, the AU engine is still cheaper and will offer my ute more Horsepower, Torque and Economy compaired to the ED based engine already in it...
Old 07-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #73
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well its not for drags and stuff... but i was looking for the torque... but for me, the AU engine is still cheaper and will offer my ute more Horsepower, Torque and Economy compaired to the ED based engine already in it...
fair call it comes down to what you need / want and the AU will be an improvement I assume you"ll be using the AU series 1 ECU as well? if so you should be able to flash it

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 07-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #74
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
fair call it comes down to what you need / want and the AU will be an improvement I assume you"ll be using the AU series 1 ECU as well? if so you should be able to flash it
I heard i can use the EL ECU i already have, as i want the BBM setup... any good?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #75
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would have to be an ef as they have a coilpack the same as the AU1 the EL has a dizzy the AU just has the advantage of being flashable

Rides:

Old 07-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #76
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
would have to be an ef as they have a coilpack the same as the AU1 the EL has a dizzy the AU just has the advantage of being flashable
Ah... well i've been told wrong, as that makes sense to me... thankyou... anyone need an EL Auto computer and EL BBM?
Old 07-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #77
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the BBM should be ok just use the EF ECU

Rides:

Old 07-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #78
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
the BBM should be ok just use the EF ECU
If i'm getting an AU engine, it will already have the BBM and coil packs...
Old 07-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #79
BenJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, it will, however unless you want to do a complete wiring harness replacement to allow you to run the coilpac setup with the harness from the AU and then integrate it with the dash ect, you should use the EL ECU and BBM and put your distributor in the AU.

There are plenty of threads in the OZECruisers club that detail how this is done.

BenJ
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L
BenJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #80
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
And that stock appearance will appeal to people who have a problem with the visibility of forced induction.

:

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #81
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Could you drop an E series XR8 unit in there? You've got the torque you need and it'd sound growse! Also, it'd not cost you nearly as much as 6K.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 11:22 PM   #82
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a bigger bore with the same stroke will not only give it more torque, but also make it more revvable?

4.8l Falcon 6 with monster torque that revs + boost = AWESOME!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #83
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't see it being able to rev harder then a standard block with the same internals. For boosted applications I wouldn't mind one of these blocks with a custom crank destroking it somewhat, really setting it up for high rpm.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #84
stiddy
Banned

You dont need high rpm with these 6's. They torque there way along from 2500rpm to 5000rpm why would you want it to rev harder, why not pull more power from that rev range?
Dont get me wrong, a properly stroked 6, ie bored out with offset crank spining the thing to 8000rpm with forged rods and light weight pistons would be awesome.. but thats also 9-10k if done right.
I personaly think alot of people are expecting too much from this so called 'stroker' kit joe is slapping together. Its really nothing new. A bored block with stronger internals lol
It's Performance already does the same thing but to a 4.2L and ive seen ~170rwkw and ~190rwkw out of 2 motors, but 1 of them went pop.
Atomic Performance have both boosted and n/a bottom ends for about the $4,500 mark which would be one of the better on the market.
Kostecki Engines has kits for these things aswell, both head/cam and bottom end but thats big big pennies. ie $4,400 for the head - $1100 for just the cam. About 10k by the time the motor is built.
Jim Mock? LOL Theres a good place he can stick his DEV kits.. Expensive un-impressive rubbish. Stupid mock boys..
As for Joe at cresent, will have to wait and see. So far his head and cam packages I find rather average.
Although there is now become a massive aftermarket base for the old tractor motor, not all of it is good, and from what I see when something new comes onto the market alot of people praise it as the be all and end all.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #85
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

I love the old ford six's and built and raced a few over the years. I fondly remember an XW 221 (3.6 litre) 3spd manual that was a gem with a decent cam and exhaust that would rev to 6000rpm, an XY 250 (4.1 litre) Auto which was frankly a disappointment even though it's power delivery was better for a street driven auto, then switched to the Valiant Pacer with the 245 hemi which was a great six and my last AU 4.0 litre which I manged to get 142rwkw out of with a raft of NA mods.

But... I am just not sure why you would want to bore and sleeve it out to 4.8 litres. You have to look around at how cheaply you can pick up a 5.0 litre windsor engined EF-AU's and how cheap it would be to build up a windsor as there are so many cheap and plentiful after market parts for these engines.

I do understand that it would be nice to do to prove a point but I can't see why you would spend that much more on a six than you would on an eight. There comes a time when you have to ask yourself do you want a faster car or a faster six and why?
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #86
stiddy
Banned

Its not so cheap to build up a hot little windsor. You need the better part of $8,000 to get something decent out of them. Heads, cam, Inlet, Maf, tune, Intake, Extractors, Exhaust, Cam, Rockers and push rods...plus other odds and ends. Its not cheap, and thats before touching the bottom end. Throw in the bottom end and you'll find that you will just have enough money left out of 15k to fill your fuel tank....

Whereas with the same $8,000 that will allow you for a pretty full on rebuild of the I6. Thats why people will go this option.. Its the next best thing.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #87
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Its not so cheap to build up a hot little windsor...
...and as you said earlier, just because there's a massive range of cheap hot-up bits available, they're not necessarily all good.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 08-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #88
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
...and as you said earlier, just because there's a massive range of cheap hot-up bits available, they're not necessarily all good.
Nor all that well priced either :
Old 08-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #89
stiddy
Banned

You generally get what you pay for, of course there is some exceptions.
Im curious about this short motor Joe is building, dont get me wrong it 'might' be great.
But I can see now people that take a step back and really look into it a little more it wont be high up on the list of mods to do. Will just have to wait and see, I hope he does well, the more options for us 6 boys the better. I just cant see any real huge increase.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:28 PM   #90
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a bigger bore with the same stroke will not only give it more torque, but also make it more revvable?
I was also of this opinion, I don't know about boring the block to the extent that is being spoken of here though. When I was a lad, the 1st thing done to any motor was to bore it out 40 thou for more power and torque.
I have gone as far as I think I can unopened on my engine, 150rwkw, a new exhaust soon may give me another couple, but I wont get past 155rwkw. So am looking at boring to the 40 thou, head/cam work etc, but am only used to old school mods( which is so far what I have done) so figured old school technique's would also apply to boring the block....is this not the case?
As for wasting time etc on a 6 instead of getting an 8, well..not all of us appreciate the wonders and delights that only an 8 can mystically provide. Getting high kw's out of an 8 is expected, getting high kw's out of a na 6 is impressive, but that may just be a na 6 thing..it is for me anyway.
Rob