Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #61
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Default Re: you wont believe the cost of jeep spare parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
Yes. That's why I'm always surprised to hear the views of some forum members who think that VAG build quality and reliability is just so much better than other manufacturers. You don't have to look far to hear horror stories for any brand.

And when things go wrong or just wear out they cost $$ on most cars now.

Before we bought the Territory we looked at secondhand X5 and a VW Touareg with the V10 and all the fruit, would have been a 145k car, with 90,000km on it secondhand it was up for sale for 45k. I rang a mate who was running a VW dealership at the time, he told me run a mile, we don't even trade them unless we make a motza on the car we are selling and getting the trade cheap and then he said we won't keep them on the lot and take the risk, we would just wholesale it....
This user likes this post:
Old 24-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #62
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When the thing starts hand grenading components like some other brands out there and ends up costing more to repair than the vehicle is worth then maybe a cause to start a thread and complain?

If anything it shows the OP hasn't realised what OEM car parts from any brand can cost in the 21st century... It's not the ealy 90s where an EA headlight can be had for 60bux.

I had a JK Wrangler, the steering didn't take too kindly to 35s and deep ruts... Complete tie rod (cos they don't have removale ends) from Jeep was over $800 plus a three week wait. Bought an aftermarket rod nearly twice the thickness with removable ends for $1100. Like any foreign make not too common, your best bet will always be to buy online. Jeep especially as the brand would have to be one of the most supported in the aftermarket scene.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #63
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou View Post
I have replaced a few panels on my FG ute - mainly as a result of stupid kangaroos and wombats. Nice and cheap and quick to get.

I got a new jeep grand Cherokee recently and had the misfortune to side swipe a tree. Besides the fact that it took 7 weeks to get the car back due to part availability, here are some of the prices for some part according to the smash repairer

passenger side mirror - $3300 (yep - just the freek'n side mirror)
door (metal only) - $2200
side window - $1900

If this is what we are in for with american cars after falcon and commodore go it will be interesting
Jeep's have been a nightmare for 15 years. Chryslers are in the same category.

I like the looks of both, would even own one. If I didn't know the horror story of break downs & prices.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #64
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
The Battery on the Jeep I think is located under the drivers seat
Da fuq

Under the seat? It is some special AGM battery that mounts on its side

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #65
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
A person reversed into my WQ Fiesta..left front door skin, rear quarter panel(its a 3door). $3900 for parts and labour !!! covered by insurance. I thought maybe $2k to $2500k tops. A battery for it was $195, silver calcium battery, pollen filter $55. air filter $50, oil filter $20, fuel filter $75, auto trans service $750 !! windscreen $320..parts are reasonable price.
Exactly, its just the Panel beater making is mark up on the parts
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #66
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Da fuq

Under the seat? It is some special AGM battery that mounts on its side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y1-VNjwYVM
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #67
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Sheesh, and I thought that my car led the way in over engineering. !
Old 24-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #68
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

that sounds about right for the mirror...

I am sure its about 2.5k-3K for side mirror for my 300c luxury... saying that its got some tech in it.

- they are heated
- has a light that shines on the door handle when car unlocks
- has the indicator in it.
- it power folds
- auto dims when bright lights are detected at night (like a lot of rear view mirrors these days, which also dims light in the 300c.)
- has the blind spot monitoring light in it
- also sets to memory position based on which car unlocked the car.
- power adjustable (like most modern cars)

when I bought my 300c luxury, I was fully aware of price of parts and also the length of time parts take, so they why I have unlimited like for like hire car on my insurance policy (plus life time replacement) with a $600 XS.. so if one thing is damaged like a mirror, I lodge claim, and pay the XS (if at fault or cant ID the person who caused damage), then as the car is not roadworthy (no mirror) I get a hire car like my car (most likely a G6E or Calais based on current hire cars) whilst I await the parts.

So if your smart about protecting yourself for when that issue arises, it will be fine!

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #69
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstar87 View Post

I am sure its about 2.5k-3K for side mirror for my 300c luxury... saying that its got some tech in it.

- they are heated
- it power folds
- auto dims when bright lights are detected at night (like a lot of rear view mirrors these days, which also dims light in the 300c.)

when I bought my 300c luxury, I was fully aware of price of parts and also the length of time parts take, so they why I have unlimited like for like hire car on my insurance policy (plus life time replacement) with a $600 XS.. so if one thing is damaged like a mirror, I lodge claim, and pay the XS (if at fault or cant ID the person who caused damage), then as the car is not roadworthy (no mirror) I get a hire car like my car (most likely a G6E or Calais based on current hire cars) whilst I await the parts.

So if your smart about protecting yourself for when that issue arises, it will be fine!
Off topic, but how much is the insurance for the beast?
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #70
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

$75 a month. ($900 a year) with a sum insured of $57500 (if I don't want a brand new one supplied and take a payout). Mine is a V6 petrol.

October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
Old 24-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #71
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstar87 View Post

- they are heated
- it power folds

All that tech in the mirror would not add up to $300 manufacturing cost - rest is a markup .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #72
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
All that tech in the mirror would not add up to $300 manufacturing cost - rest is a markup .
and how much is a genuine falcon mirror with out that tech?

its a small volume car in Australia and parts have to come from the other side of the world. so they will be mark up as well..

Old 24-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #73
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
They would pump out that many it would even cheaper then that.
Old 24-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #74
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Genuine 300c side mirror high series is US $770 and base model is $230. They must use a very expensive courier ��
In reality all car companies charge high prices for parts - if you were to assemble a car from parts bought as spare parts it would cost 5x the retail price ...
Old 24-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #75
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

yea I agree, car companies do charge a lot for spare parts these days... and way over manufacturing costs, but most businesses do this, because they are in business to make money.

then you have to add on the "Australian tax" that we get charged on all goods these days, especially when it comes to cars. :(

Old 24-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #76
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Genuine 300c side mirror high series is US $770 and base model is $230. They must use a very expensive courier ��
As I explained previously in this thread the RHD ones are different than the LHD North American ones and they argue the lower volume makes them cost more.
Old 24-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #77
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
Off topic, but how much is the insurance for the beast?
Full comprehensive for my Grand Cherokee diesel in $700 a year in WA with unlimited hire car, free windscreen replacement and new for old replacement. Insured for $65k with $500 excess.

As a comparison my last policy for the FG XR6T was $650 a year for $35k for same policy and benefits as the Jeep.
Old 24-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #78
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Let me clarify for you:

13 months old, would not start. Roadside assistance jump started it, stated it was dead battery. I assumed a battery is not covered under warranty, so i range battery stores, they started quoting "interesting" prices and claiming battery changes on this were hard? None had stock anyways.

So i called dealership, they quoted $1211! After i started yelling at them.........they advised its covered under warranty! However i needed to have them "diagnose" the problem first.

Monday morning 10 am the vehicle was hooked up to diagnostics (so they said). 3 hours later they called me to confirm that it was a dead battery. I said ok, can i pick the car up?........NO batteries in stock. Order from Jeep H.O, and i was lucky cause H.O actually had 1 in stock!

Following day at 10 am the battery arrived..........it was ready by 2pm.

Apparently the new diesel model's battery is a bugger to change.

Hope this clarifies my situation
Mine was slightly different as they couldn't even jump start it.
I watched him replace it, the hardest part would be physically lifting it out from under the drivers seat, but its no more difficult to fit than any other battery in any other car, so they're having a lend of you, again.

Ditch that dealer.
Old 24-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #79
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
..........sits back and waits for the city folk to Google 'header' to find out what it is
Yeah I had a giggle with that one as well! Coming from the bush I was familiar with the machine - but I did have visions of my city cousins wondering what replacement parts you could possibly need to buy to repair a set of extractors!

Russ.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #80
Motorbreath310

Cripes! I work at a Nissan wrecker now and thought D40 parts were ridiculous!! :S

I was told they priced up a seat belt buckle for an R51 Pathfinder when they launched - 4.5k

Door skin (interior trim panel) for a J10 Qashqai/Dualis - $1395
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #81
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you paying out of pocket or is it on insurance?

Factory parts are expensive though, regardless of who, although some are more outrageous than others.

I remember some bloke who had a WRX that went for a swim ended up getting a modded car back because it was so much cheaper for them to do so. $4500 for stock turbo and $15000 for stock long motor + labour.

People were even joking about going for an 'upgrade cruise' :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #82
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might as well buy a second one for the spares.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #83
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How do you people get insurance for mechanical problems?
I understand if a mirror is knocked off it can be classed as an accident and insurance will cover it, but if you are driving and something under the bonnet (or shall I say hood?) goes bang, good luck getting insurance to pay for it. If the car is out of warranty, you are out of pocket.
This 7 year warranty with Kia is looking better and better.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #84
Ruination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310 View Post
Cripes! I work at a Nissan wrecker now and thought D40 parts were ridiculous!! :S

I was told they priced up a seat belt buckle for an R51 Pathfinder when they launched - 4.5k

Door skin (interior trim panel) for a J10 Qashqai/Dualis - $1395
Nissan certainly isn't cheap when it comes to parts, even though the interior of the 550 feels damn cheap!

$30 for a single 10A fuse, and $80 a for a headlight globe.
Ruination is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #85
nstg8a

Not like the locals are immune from price gouging...

Local dealer ripped off my uncle a couple of times. He bought a near new ba xt, battery died a couple of times and each time they charged in excess of $300 for a new one, telling him that the ba used a specially shaped battery and it made them more expensive.
Looked to me like they were using the cheapest smallest battery they could find and that's why they didn't last.
When it died when I was living with him I got it sorted for half the ford price,,and it never had another battery issue.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #86
brett4777

We have a 2013 GC Laredo diesel never had a problem with it .it does everything we need it for( family truckster it tows our camper trailer etc ) and costs me less to run than any of my previous Falcons ever have.
brett4777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #87
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruination View Post
Nissan certainly isn't cheap when it comes to parts, even though the interior of the 550 feels damn cheap!

$30 for a single 10A fuse, and $80 a for a headlight globe.
Why would you buy a fuse or a headlight globe from Nissan? Pair of top quality H4 globes is $50 ...those are consumables you can buy anywhere.
Side mirror assembly for my 550 was over $700 but as I only needed a front cover got away with $130.
Old 25-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #88
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Really. That is amazing my FPVs over 80,000km have never cost me more than 1.5k over the entire duration, outside of the tyres and brakes I destroyed driving like a fruit loop of course. But really it out of warranty higher mileage stuff where people really do need to be scared of the imports. You can keep Falcons and Commodores running for ever on chump change really through a half decent mechanic.

Dealer service for the twin turbo top of the wozza Range Rover at 90,000km an be $12,000 :-) Thus a lot of them go up for sale around that time .
4 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #89
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Really. That is amazing my FPVs over 80,000km have never cost me more than 1.5k over the entire duration, outside of the tyres and brakes I destroyed driving like a fruit loop of course. But really it out of warranty higher mileage stuff where people really do need to be scared of the imports. You can keep Falcons and Commodores running for ever on chump change really through a half decent mechanic.

Dealer service for the twin turbo top of the wozza Range Rover at 90,000km an be $12,000 :-) Thus a lot of them go up for sale around that time .
Hence why I'm loving my BF E-gas...

What needs to be done to the range rover at 90k that costs 12k???? That's insane!!

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #90
cram_it_frog
wombat

so with such expensive parts what is the insurance rate like ?

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post