Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-10-2021, 08:34 AM   #61
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2021 Ford Mustang Mach E

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
I don't think you can even turn off DSC on these cars. But whats the point of testing it without DSC? At the end of the day, if it has the feature, what are we trying to prove by not using it? Whats next? Lets do wet weather brake tests without ABS or let see how you can drive a car without Power Steering or Vacuum assisted Brakes? They all go hand in hand I'd suggest. Curiosity asides, there is no point testing without it.

Dynamics no doubt play a part and there is only so much the software can do to compensate for it. As they can, can only make the best of what they have to work with. But Modern DSC systems can do some miraculous things.
Well..you can turn it off, just requires disabling. And my point is to determine if it's a design issue with the actual setup of the rear suspension or the electronic calibration which can be fixed far more easily. I'm guessing Ford have take the position of giving the E more rear wheel drive feel and this is the result.
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2021, 10:00 AM   #62
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Well..you can turn it off, just requires disabling. And my point is to determine if it's a design issue with the actual setup of the rear suspension or the electronic calibration which can be fixed far more easily. I'm guessing Ford have take the position of giving the E more rear wheel drive feel and this is the result.
I wouldn't suggest drive bias is what causes this they are not accelerating during the test to create oversteer. Rather, it's the suspension and DSC not playing well. Throw in that they use really skinny tyres (think the Tesla ones are wider) and I think those tyres are more suited for range, you create this issue. Better tyres would help but would cost range.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #63
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
In the youtube clip the presenter does state his opinion is that it is a ESC calibration issue. I suspect you are correct in your hypothesis that Ford has wound back the ESC to give the car a more sporty feel.

The magazine that conducted the test stated that they believe the chassis is too soft and the stability control too slow. Both seem relatively easy to fix.

https://teknikensvarld.se/nyheter/ko...he-moose-test/
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2021, 11:40 AM   #64
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
In the youtube clip the presenter does state his opinion is that it is a ESC calibration issue. I suspect you are correct in your hypothesis that Ford has wound back the ESC to give the car a more sporty feel.

The magazine that conducted the test stated that they believe the chassis is too soft and the stability control too slow. Both seem relatively easy to fix.

https://teknikensvarld.se/nyheter/ko...he-moose-test/
The Regular Mustang passed though and at a higher speed. They didn't get that right for this car.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:29 AM   #65
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Did some more research and as expected, the Mach E runs a 225 width tyre vs a 255 on the model Y. Heck the model 3 runs a 235. Makes more sense why the rear couldn't hold on.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
This user likes this post:
Old 03-10-2021, 09:52 AM   #66
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This video was interesting in the number of recent cars that also failed the moose test. Including; RAV4, Porsche Macan, hybrid Skoda, hybrid Passat, and BMW M3 Competition.

https://youtu.be/qIN8CyhYREM

It will be interesting to see how Ford responds to this.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2021, 09:51 AM   #67
tbro4123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
Does anyone have any info on the window issues the Mach-e is having? Something about the window (top) falling out, similar issues the Tesla was having.

I saw an article but can't find it. I wonder if these issues were traced to the China Plant.
I think you will find that was the glass roof, apparently same as the Tesla, bonding wasn't cured properly so having to have roof removed at dealer and rebonded. Was only on the very first of cars manufactured.
tbro4123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: