Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 30-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #61
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
I do approx 5000 kms a month, highways, country, night and day time and the cars that I find worse are 4wds towing trailers with incorrectly positioned headlights that blind me, or the numb nuts who drive around and forget to dip high beam. Lucky for me i have 530 watt of light on my XR6 now and can easily give a few arrogant people a nice suprise.

Foglights dont bother me, having said that on the FG falcon they are that dull and useless i never turn mine on unless its early morning and it is actually foggy so people can see them below the fogline.

Another thing htat drives me insane is these nob truck drivers that have 200 LEDS all over their trucks, some of the LEDs they use are more intense then headlights and blind you / are a huge distraction.. yet the RTA / Police do nothing about them.
Your also in a truck at a seat height a lot higher than a normal sedan...... so many variants to this discussion.....
Old 30-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #62
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherNature
OK so maybe I didnt explain the fact that extra amounts of lighting at any wattage will increase the amount of light being shown from the front of a vehicle.

In explaination, what happens when we light 1 candle. There is light...... now add another candle ..... there is double the light .......

Now bear with me ...... both candles emit the same light power individually but when you have two together they double the amount of light ......

Getting my drift ??

It is not the fact that they are set lower on the vehcile. It is not the fact that they are 'only' 50w.

The fact is that there are extra lights there that when used in a totally dark environment it illuminates more than what is seen in the city.

Sorry for those who understand this .... I actually thought it was not that hard.....
Only if the radiation from the light source is projected on the same plane. If you have 2 torches of equal power, both aimed in the same place you will get brighter light. If you lower one torch to illuminate lower than the other, you will not get more light as each will only illuminate the area it is aimed.

Fog lights are not aimed to the same level low beams are and in fact are aimed a lot lower, that is the idea so they illuminate under the fog without bouncing back. If you don't believe me have a look at a B series with standard adjustment and bulbs, the fog lights only illuminate 20m in front of the front bar. If they were not the light would bounce back off fog and they would be no more effective than low beam. Of course this is talking about correctly adjusted fog lights.
Old 30-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #63
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On a final note to this discussion .... I will bow out after this.....

So many are saying that spot/driving lights/bright blue lights are so much worse & yes I agree on that totally......

This topic is about the fog lights & this is what I am discussing.

Maybe I am less light tollerant than some ..... the fact is it is illegal ........ end of story!!
Old 30-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #64
scoupedy

Quote:
OK so maybe I didnt explain the fact that extra amounts of lighting at any wattage will increase the amount of light being shown from the front of a vehicle.

In explaination, what happens when we light 1 candle. There is light...... now add another candle ..... there is double the light .......

Now bear with me ...... both candles emit the same light power individually but when you have two together they double the amount of light ......

Getting my drift ??

It is not the fact that they are set lower on the vehcile. It is not the fact that they are 'only' 50w.

The fact is that there are extra lights there that when used in a totally dark environment it illuminates more than what is seen in the city.

Sorry for those who understand this .... I actually thought it was not that hard.....
OMG don't get to technical on them - also reflectors can add/reduce brightness (usually brighter as why would you have them) ever noticed how much darker it is with just one headlight? now just imagine what double looks like

FACT IS ONLY ONE SET OF LIGHTS IN BUILT UP AREAS REGARDLESS OF TYPE/USE (unless) FOGGY
Old 30-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #65
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Another thing htat drives me insane is these nob truck drivers that have 200 LEDS all over their trucks, some of the LEDs they use are more intense then headlights and blind you / are a huge distraction.. yet the RTA / Police do nothing about them.
Unfortunately they are legal, I hate them as well.

Do what I do. Grab the microphone and make comments like...

#1...Tell them it's too early/late for Christmas lights.
#2...Sing jingle bells.
#3.. Comment that it just another case of the lights being brighter than the Driver.

Do not comment if you have children in the Truck/Car with you, they might learn some new, not nice, words with the reply
Old 30-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #66
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Only if the radiation from the light source is projected on the same plane. If you have 2 torches of equal power, both aimed in the same place you will get brighter light. If you lower one torch to illuminate lower than the other, you will not get more light as each will only illuminate the area it is aimed.

Fog lights are not aimed to the same level low beams are and in fact are aimed a lot lower, that is the idea so they illuminate under the fog without bouncing back. If you don't believe me have a look at a B series with standard adjustment and bulbs, the fog lights only illuminate 20m in front of the front bar. If they were not the light would bounce back off fog and they would be no more effective than low beam. Of course this is talking about correctly adjusted fog lights.
some physics for you - if you can see the light then light is ammitting in your direction and therefore adding to the overall brightness
Old 30-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #67
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoupedy
some physics for you - if you can see the light then light is ammitting in your direction and therefore adding to the overall brightness
Incorrect, if you shine a torch with a focussed beam at a 45 degree angle from you, can you suddenly not see the torch at all? Will it dazzle you, probably not. Now focus the beam right in your eyes.

The focus of the beam greatly affects the intensity of the light but there is still light emitted at other angles meaning you can see it without it adding to the intensity causing it to blind you. Some physics for you.
Old 30-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #68
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Your also in a truck at a seat height a lot higher than a normal sedan...... so many variants to this discussion.....
I dont drive trucks... I let other people do that!! I drive an XR6 ute 99% of the time.
Old 30-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #69
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Incorrect, if you shine a torch with a focussed beam at a 45 degree angle from you, can you suddenly not see the torch at all? Will it dazzle you, probably not. Now focus the beam right in your eyes.

The focus of the beam greatly affects the intensity of the light but there is still light emitted at other angles meaning you can see it without it adding to the intensity causing it to blind you. Some physics for you.
Hmm interesting that distintion in physics must have arsed that,.....

so fog lights are aimed at 45 degrees? they are aimed forward and alot of light is reflected up (don't deny this as this is how they are designed so you can see when there is actually fog around) especially after rain
Old 30-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #70
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:

so fog lights are aimed at 45 degrees? they are aimed forward and alot of light is reflected up (don't deny this as this is how they are designed so you can see when there is actually fog around) especially after rain

The reference to 45 degrees was purely to illustrate a point, not to be taken literally in reference to fog lights. Don't worry about it, you seem to have missed the point.
Old 30-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #71
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:

I'll deny it, as it is untrue. The truth is quite the opposite in fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automot...ront_fog_lamps

Quote:
Front fog lamps provide a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp cutoff at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low.[10][11][12] They may be either white or selective yellow. They are intended for use at low speed to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface and verges in conditions of poor visibility due to rain, fog, dust or snow. As such, they are often most effectively used in place of dipped-beam headlamps, reducing the glareback from fog or falling snow, although the legality varies by jurisdiction of using front fog lamps without low beam headlamps.
Wikipedia agrees with me.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 30-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #72
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
I'll deny it, as it is untrue. The truth is quite the opposite in fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automot...ront_fog_lamps

Wikipedia agrees with me.
If its not refected up then how does it get to your eyes? or ours

quote wikipedia
light is like water - picture a hose spraying water onto your windscreen add another hose = more water, spray another hose at the ground in from of the car still more water as it will bounce off the road onto the windscreen
So does having two hoses spraying your windscreen and two spraying in front of you (from the other car not yours) more or less water or the same?
Old 30-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #73
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
If its not refected up then how does it get to your eyes? or ours

quote wikipedia
light is like water - picture a hose spraying water onto your windscreen add another hose = more water, spray another hose at the ground in from of the car still more water as it will bounce off the road onto the windscreen
So does having two hoses spraying your windscreen and two spraying in front of you (from the other car not yours) more or less water or the same?

If a hose is not spraying in your face, can you still see the water?
Old 30-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #74
scoupedy

huh not sure did you study Physics?
Old 30-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #75
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
huh not sure did you study Physics?
You are not getting the point and I am not wasting any more time on this.
Old 30-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #76
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think this thread has run its course.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
Closed Thread