Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #61
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default Re: Difference between S/C 8 and Turbo Barra

Our good friends at Evolution Performance.

They were also the first to run 8s with a Wipple Supercharged Coyote powered Mustang back in 2011 - 2012.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2018, 07:29 PM   #62
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
V8 sprint has different size tyres to the turbo one doesn't it?
Same IIRC
Old 16-03-2018, 11:11 PM   #63
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Yes they’re both on 265s
This user likes this post:
Old 18-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #64
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
What that graph fails to show is the supercharged 8 is probably at 8-9psi where the turbo 6 is at 15-16psi.

did you even look at the graph?

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 18-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #65
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Quote:
Why not dyno both at 10psi or both at 15psi? Super8 will kill the barra 6
I think the original post was to compare how two cars making the same power can deliver it in different ways, not which can make the most power with the same boost.

But if you wanted to compare at the same boost, it would be interesting to see what a Supercharged 5L V8 at 10psi would compare to a Turbocharged 5L I6 (if you could make one at 5L) at 10psi....
Old 18-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #66
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Why not dyno both at 10psi or both at 15psi? Super8 will kill the barra 6
But the Miami has a higher compression ratio. So you'd need to get the same compression ratio between the engines. What about head and exhaust flow/size? You'd need to get that as relatively equal too.

It's apples and oranges. It's the same argument you see on LS forums or Facebook - "Strap a turbo to my SS and then see what happens to your Barra". It's an argument that will just go in circles and neither side will ever be satisfied.

Of course an engine with another 25% displacement, 2 more cylinders, 2 more cams, higher compression and another 8 valves will make more power on the same boost.

I love the Miami's and would have one in a heart beat.

Just to stir the pot - How many Miami's are coping with 20-25psi on stock rods/pistons?

FG XR6T SILHOUETTE - 380rwkw
Old 23-03-2018, 09:09 AM   #67
Geeseman
Double Reppuken!

The v8 is a far more refined engine than the 6. It has better torque delivery and sounds way better. It doesn’t idle like a truck as the 6 and ls engines do either. No contest.
Old 23-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #68
sixman

I think what people forget with this silly argument is that both are actually in the same car! They are otherwise virtually identical. They both share all the other problems, but with the choice of 2 awesome engines.
Rear tyres: Toyo R888 265-30-19
3.5inch custom exhaust with imitation stock tip, PW Stage 2 cooler (black), ID 1000, XCAL3, Plazmaman intake, Herrod Spark Booster
BorgWarner EFR 9174
Autotech 420rwkw
Old 23-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #69
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Here how to tell the difference between the Miami and Barra engines... if you look closely, the Miami V8 is essentially giving the 2 finger salute !

Sorry, just had a few ... carry on.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Old 23-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #70
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Difference is obvious. I’m trying to work why the ‘why V8s are so slow’ thread was closed and this one is still open.

Video of the legend JB on the difference between the GT and F6.

https://youtu.be/NGg4AMQOOJU

They can both do this very well ....
Old 23-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #71
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Difference is obvious. I’m trying to work why the ‘why V8s are so slow’ thread was closed and this one is still open.

The thread was closed because V8's are actually fast... click here for the proof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zVTMAOiL-8

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Old 23-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #72
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8 View Post
The thread was closed because V8's are actually fast... click here for the proof

Always loved that video. The GTF in white is just beautiful.

Go in and disconnect the limiter and a turbo 6 maxed out on that road would be rediculously quick also.

If I won lotto tomorrow I’d have a yellow BF typhoon rspec, a white GTF and a another F6 in white in my garage. What could have been if we didn’t lose the Falcon.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #73
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Not many V8 late model falcons in this list.

A few fast barras. 310kph and thats only over 1000m. 200mph easy.

https://www.racewars.com.au/Event/Re..._1000_MTR_DRAG

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
Old 23-03-2018, 07:05 PM   #74
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:

Oh soooooooo close. Takes a lot of power to go real fast. 297kpm is great for factory car.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 23-03-2018, 08:40 PM   #75
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeseman View Post
The v8 is a far more refined engine than the 6. It has better torque delivery and sounds way better. It doesn’t idle like a truck as the 6 and ls engines do either. No contest.
And it's the best Ford engine ever built in Australia . No I'm wrong , it's the best engine by anybody ever built in Australia . The Barra 6 I'm talking about.

The Miami is AWESOME , it's a fantastic engine by any measure . It might make more power , it might be more refined and so it should be given how long the Barra's been around . Just the same you've got to admit that our mighty all Aussie turbo 6 has a lot of local passion , ingenuity and pride built into it by us and for us and this awesome engine is as tough and robust as it gets . It can develop a huge amount of power and torque for the money.

I'd love the joy of a SC V8 Miami of course but our own tried and tested Barra Turbo is a sweet and bloody quick donk and as for idling like a truck engine..Where'd you get that from . None of the Barra Turbo or even N/A's I've ever experienced sound anything like that.

Do you reckon FPV would muck around with a turbo 6 and put their reputation on the line with it if they thought it wasn't up to it .

Short and definitive answer is NO.

Your post reads a bit like sour grapes to me .

Last edited by roddy1960; 23-03-2018 at 08:55 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2018, 09:49 PM   #76
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

V8 is good and all , but only a half ****d attempt. They didnt even cool the supercharger. Bolt on and hope for the best.

When its cool you get nice overboost. The rest of the time its cooking and lower power. So much potential not realised.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

2 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2018, 11:05 PM   #77
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Oh soooooooo close. Takes a lot of power to go real fast. 297kpm is great for factory car.
That run was done at the top of 5th gear (manual) but I reckon a quick shift to 6th and it would have done 300kph plus...

Old 24-03-2018, 12:00 AM   #78
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
V8 is good and all , but only a half ****d attempt. They didnt even cool the supercharger. Bolt on and hope for the best.

When its cool you get nice overboost. The rest of the time its cooking and lower power. So much potential not realised.
Do you know why it wasn’t intercooled? Story I’ve read is that it would deliver too much torque and would’ve meant the chassis needed to be strengthened, especially around the firewall area. So, because Ford didn’t have any funds to do all the extra work, they left it non-cooled. The best perfomance car ever developed by Ford Oz was hobbled due to costs. What could have been!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 24-03-2018, 12:46 AM   #79
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

That's a shame. But we can tune a car for great power. But Ford have to warrant it so their hands are tied.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 24-03-2018, 02:27 AM   #80
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
That run was done at the top of 5th gear (manual) but I reckon a quick shift to 6th and it would have done 300kph plus...
I dont think so, RPM would drop to much and not enough power to push through the air.

297kph is great for factory car.

But how good is this for an old banger. 330kw at the tyres. About the same as GTF

http://www.airpowersystems.com/falcon/avalon/307kph.htm

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 24-03-2018, 09:17 AM   #81
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

The story I heard was it was going to be cooled but they ran out of money full-stop. I doubt the "too much torque" thing has any merit as plenty of people are running I/C Miamis without them turning into an overstressed tailshaft.
Old 24-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #82
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

That has limited relevance to the comparison we are talking about since JB is taking about the 5.4 NA 315kw V8. Yes chassis etc still the same but power delivery of the SC unit is an another league and claims back the straight line speed the F6 may have held previously. I think that’s half the issue F6 folk hang their hat on the comparison to the NA V8 and miss the fact that the Miami is sooooo much better.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

5 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2018, 11:54 AM   #83
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
The story I heard was it was going to be cooled but they ran out of money full-stop. I doubt the "too much torque" thing has any merit as plenty of people are running I/C Miamis without them turning into an overstressed tailshaft.
One of my customers is an engineer for ford, he told me about the torque issues a when it was occurring.
The thing is, most enthusiasts will push beyond the power levels that the factory does, and most will not see any apparent issues, nor care in most cases that a rattle has occurred etc, but Ford had to put a warranty on the cars and ensure it held up to the factory power level.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
5 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #84
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
I dont think so, RPM would drop to much and not enough power to push through the air.

297kph is great for factory car.

But how good is this for an old banger. 330kw at the tyres. About the same as GTF

http://www.airpowersystems.com/falcon/avalon/307kph.htm
Picking up 6th at that speed would see 5000rpm on the dial where the GT-F's Miami is still making around 300rwkw... my guess is they didn't have enough road to crack 300kph but with the right gearing (eg. ZF auto), the GT-F can go faster.

Last edited by Bent8; 24-03-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 24-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #85
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
That has limited relevance to the comparison we are talking about since JB is taking about the 5.4 NA 315kw V8. Yes chassis etc still the same but power delivery of the SC unit is an another league and claims back the straight line speed the F6 may have held previously. I think that’s half the issue F6 folk hang their hat on the comparison to the NA V8 and miss the fact that the Miami is sooooo much better.
Spot on... years ago, Wheels mag dyno'd the BOSS 315 (5.4) where it made 252rwkw @ 6300rpm

For comparison, the BOSS 335 (Miami) makes this much power at around 4500rpm !

Old 24-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #86
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Picking up 6th at that speed would see 5000rpm on the dial where the GT-F's Miami is still making around 300rwkw... my guess is they didn't have enough road to crack 300kph but with the right gearing (eg. ZF auto), the GT-F can go faster.
They had kilometers of road. If 6th would have helped they would have used it.

They would not have been happy with 297. The goal was over 300.

The car just couldn't do it.

PS- that car run just past 7000rpm, does the factory car rev this high???

So could run to 7k in 5th. Car just couldnt go any faster...

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Last edited by arronm; 24-03-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 24-03-2018, 06:19 PM   #87
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Spot on JC regarding the motor, the yank motor that then had $40 000 000 spent on it along with years of development that saw the creation of the Miami. Of course it’s going to better than the Coyote.

How much money was spent on the Aussie Barra in comparison since that video?

That there is the difference between the two for me - one needed years of development and $40 000 000 thrown at it, the Aussie Barra needed nothin’.

I grew up on Ford Aussie 6s and have my piece of history in the mighty F6. On the 26th of January every year I polish up my Aussie Barra, hang 2 Aussie flags off her and do what my family has done since I can remember - celebrate all things Aussie with a smokin’ bbq.

3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2018, 08:12 PM   #88
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Coyote is light years ahead of the 5.4 , Miami is basically a Boss 302 mustang has boss 302 rods and cams with a charger on top .....which is a big step up from coyote, both run stock forged crank which was designed for boost ....tuff package for a little 5 litre

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 24-03-2018, 08:18 PM   #89
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Spot on JC regarding the motor, the yank motor that then had $40 000 000 spent on it along with years of development that saw the creation of the Miami. Of course it’s going to better than the Coyote.

How much money was spent on the Aussie Barra in comparison since that video?

That there is the difference between the two for me - one needed years of development and $40 000 000 thrown at it, the Aussie Barra needed nothin’.

I grew up on Ford Aussie 6s and have my piece of history in the mighty F6. On the 26th of January every year I polish up my Aussie Barra, hang 2 Aussie flags off her and do what my family has done since I can remember - celebrate all things Aussie with a smokin’ bbq.

I'm not sure how you think there was no R&D on the Barra 6. It went from a 4.1 crossflow 6, through iterations of EA 3.9, increase up to 4.0 for EB through to AU going from dizzy to coilpack, and then DOHC 4.0 from BA. At the same time, they chucked a turbo on it, and in that form it went from 240 to 270 to 310 to 325 kw in final FGX Sprint guise - each step along the way would have cost millions in R&D; maybe not in engine casting changes (although there was some of that), but definitely in wages of engineers etc. It's an evolution of 50 years from the engine that started in the 60s.....

$40M on making the coyote into the Miami would be a pittance in comparison.

3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #90
shaness8

297 in the GTF pretty good in my opinion considering it was stinking hot with cool temps 300 wouldn’t be a problem.
Closed Thread