Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #61
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone who drives a car and enjoys it.

On a serious note, the idiot from Melbourne who killed himself, and four of his mates would be my definition of what should constitute a hoon, for this law to be fair.

What I mean by that, is that if you speed by 10-20k's over you get a ticket. If continually keep doing the wrong thing and show you don't care about the law and other road users, then you should be elevated to the next level.

I apologise for bringing that thread up, however, it is the best example of what I think a hoon is. He had many incidents, and had appeared in court. He allegedly did not abide by the punishment handed down. (not sure what this was, but it was mentioned). This shows an attitude which I believe is what the legislation should be based on.

For serious offences, in some states, a court appearance is required. I think at that point, and that point only should any person be labelled as a 'hoon'. That way, their atitude towards their actions can be determined, and if they have no care or remorse, then maybe they are truly a hoon.

When this person, had been caught doing the wrong thing numerous times, and wasn't abiding by his punishment, a follow up court appearance, with a please explain, may have helped. At that time further punishment may have been required. Imagine if a court had decided he needed a more serious punishment and decided to impound his car. If they want to be serious about this, and try to do something about it, there needs to be follow up.

Giving this power to Police to wave around on the streets is wrong. Bad decisions can be made with severe repurcussions. e.g. The owner of the Lamborghini that was impounded, would now be obligated to inform his insurance company at renewal time about "his" car being impounded.Do you think the insurance company is going to list that he was not at fault? Interested to know how much his premiums will go up. These laws have an ongoing effect that will affect the person who is labelled a hoon for quite some time.

Care needs to be taken.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #62
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
My wife and I used to own an SS Commodore and I sold it because of the way others were driving them and the stigma it placed on us. I drove the car on rare occasions but my wife was the main user. I couldn't believe how many times she was goaded by other SS drivers and lunatics in WRXs to race in the traffic, mainly because we fluked a 427-xxx Queensland number plate.

If I sound hot under the collar, it is becaue we have friends in a rescue squad who get called out in the middle of the night to accidents and we hear all the horrific details...

Sorry if I caused you offence but the subject is a very close one.

It's not fun seeing the carnage first hand when it comes to other ****************** writing themselves off, due to stupidity.

The association and stigma behind a particular brand does get difficult to wear when you're cruising round minding your own business. However I have discovered, by flipping the bird gives the idiots the message I'm not interested.

I also find by driving sensibily, the locals look once and keep going. It might be due to me being a grey haired person and not young.

Anyway, no offense taken on my behalf. We can all just hope that the young ones on this forum can take notice of is written and realise, a sudden stop does hurt.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #63
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
It's not fun seeing the carnage first hand when it comes to other ****************** writing themselves off, due to stupidity.

The association and stigma behind a particular brand does get difficult to wear when you're cruising round minding your own business. However I have discovered, by flipping the bird gives the idiots the message I'm not interested.

I also find by driving sensibily, the locals look once and keep going. It might be due to me being a grey haired person and not young.

Anyway, no offense taken on my behalf. We can all just hope that the young ones on this forum can take notice of is written and realise, a sudden stop does hurt.
Actually though about what you said and maybe it's up to the "friends" of hoons
to tell them when to pull their heads in and stop accepting dangerous antics in cars.
If enough passengers did that, maybe the rod toll would be a bit less.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #64
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durtyharry
I think you may have been aware of the road rules before purchasing your high powered car, why the whining about not being able to use it as your own racetrack?
I was well aware, and I was whining about it before then too!

I don't use the public roads as a race track. But the fact that Police can fine me for accelerating up to the speed limit fast when there are no cars around...

It more an argument on principle, not the fact I can't do x, y & z...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #65
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

"What defines a Hoon?" Easy.......Whoosha
Old 23-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #66
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Chaser
I was well aware, and I was whining about it before then too!

I don't use the public roads as a race track. But the fact that Police can fine me for accelerating up to the speed limit fast when there are no cars around...

It more an argument on principle, not the fact I can't do x, y & z...
How do you know when there is no cars around? All it takes is one to pop out of a driveway or out of a corner for one to be around.

I reckon the rules are made broad to cover these sorts of scenarios

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 12:00 AM   #67
gemini

Its not only the police you have to worry about. Its people on the street that want to make trouble for you. I drive a 300zx. When I had my old Magna, I never had problems. When I sold it and got the Z, im getting evil looks from old people and had someone yell at me to slow down. I was doing 50 in a 60 ffs!
gemini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 02:45 AM   #68
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini
Its not only the police you have to worry about. Its people on the street that want to make trouble for you. I drive a 300zx. When I had my old Magna, I never had problems. When I sold it and got the Z, im getting evil looks from old people and had someone yell at me to slow down. I was doing 50 in a 60 ffs!
lol! That's gold!
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #69
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini
Them things look like they are going fast even when they're standing still.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #70
SilentDave

A hoon is anyone that walks,talks or can/can't drive a car. When the anti hoon legislation was introduced in WA one of the first people caught was a 78yr old farmer in his old Lancruiser hack.

On a side note i have been told to slow down even when i was only doing half the speed limit.
Old 24-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #71
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

If you drive a white Camry or Peugeot, you are not a hoon.

I get some wierd looks because my car makes turbo noises :/

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #72
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
New hoon laws proposed for Vic mean you get 3 strikes: strike 1 you loose your car for a week, strike 2 a month, strike 3 they sell your car, pay out your loan and balance towards victims of road trauma, only if the car is unsellable its crushed.

Seems like a pretty fair proposal to me.
OK... I have a few issues with heading down this path. mainly because of the sale of one's assets because of a driving offence, while offenders of far more dangerous driving acts - DRINK DRIVING - aren't in the sights of the government.

1) Repeat drink driving offences. Same deal? Take your car away and sell it, giving the proceeds to victims of road trauma? Because, correct me where I am wrong, driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol kills a hell of a lot more people than "street racing" or doing burnouts.

2) Convicted murderers, rapists etc... sell up all their assets for the same sort of fund? Surely the more disgusting the crime, the harsher we should be on people with their assets. I mean, we've opened the gate to selling off people's assets, so lets clean out the crims totally.

And so on and so forth... .
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #73
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yet, with or without these stupid hoon law, the accident in millpark would still have happened

what are they gonna do, take 'a' dead driver to court, have his car crushed...AGAIN ... I guess we'll have to wait an see after the new car crushing law comes in..sigh.

It seem's the pathetic media call hoon's anything these days...

A hoon jogging down the footpath, knocking over a person, or a push-biker. crush his legs, or cut them off and sell them
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #74
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
OK... I have a few issues with heading down this path. mainly because of the sale of one's assets because of a driving offence, while offenders of far more dangerous driving acts - DRINK DRIVING - aren't in the sights of the government.

1) Repeat drink driving offences. Same deal? Take your car away and sell it, giving the proceeds to victims of road trauma? Because, correct me where I am wrong, driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol kills a hell of a lot more people than "street racing" or doing burnouts.

2) Convicted murderers, rapists etc... sell up all their assets for the same sort of fund? Surely the more disgusting the crime, the harsher we should be on people with their assets. I mean, we've opened the gate to selling off people's assets, so lets clean out the crims totally.

And so on and so forth... .
You have a very valid point there.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #75
scoupedy

anyone under 25 or cant afford a lawyer to fight the charges
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #76
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Heres a thought provoking article in car advice. It's too long to post up but the short of it is what iv'e always thought the "HOON" terminology to be,

Just a tag line for pollies to win votes with while ignoring the real problems.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/54418/an...l-vote-winner/
Old 26-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #77
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Good find and a good read.

Funny how articles like this don't make their way into newspapers or current affair shows.
Old 26-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #78
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Your dead right Gasolane thanks.