Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #61
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Carr to Detroit to rescue Aus Car Industry

Wow ok that was unexpected. Any more details? 50 mill doesnt buy a lot in automotive development terms, but I bet this 50 mill was conditional on a co-contribution from the government...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #62
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I hope its true. If it is that would be awesome news.

I wonder how Gover and carsguide/drive will somehow turn that into a negative.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #63
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded
In the Sunday Telegraph today:
8 Jan 2012 The Sunday Telegraph (Sydney) Cash to firm Ford’s future

THE future of Ford Australia will be confirmed in the US on Tuesday with good news expected for the company’s 3500 production staff and a boost for the economy.

A fresh injection of more than $50 million is coming from Ford Motor Company that will secure the immediate future of the Falcon and Territory despite the worst showroom result in the history of the Ford flagship in 2011.
An announcement is planned for the Detroit motor show involving Ford’s global chiefs, local president Bob Graziano and a government delegation led by Federal Industry Minister Kim Carr.

The investment comes as Ford Australia andgmh jockey for positions in the plans of their global parents.

Is this something new?
Yes, I read that too.. But it was a very small article & just luck I saw it, as I turned the page it court me eye...

Got to wonder why this news has come from the Telegraph & not the other car media places that should know more??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #64
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra
I love the Falcon (and even Commodore... to a lesser (much lesser) extent) and dont want to see them disappear, but what good is 'rescuing' something that may no longer be viable??

Its a global market people. Australia chose this road long ago. The government (using tax payers money mind you) cant just keep coming to the rescue everytime a large company looks like getting in trouble. Its called competition. No point to keep making something that people dont want.

The automakers just need to come up with products that the market wants.
Australia is a very unique market. FoA and GMH just need one product they can be responsible for in their respective empire, and sell it to multiple markets, or at least R&D the car here, and manufacture here for locality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownv8au
What on earth is he going to achive by going over that a phone call or video link couldn't do. another bloody tax payer funded holiday. might aswell go to the motor show to eh.
By meeting in person it's shows just how important it is the executives how committed we are to them. Those exec's get there ego's stroked by a 'Government Official', and a "give us a go mate". And things look better. Things come out in face to face that don't in a letter or phone call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Then we can be just like Greece
Yey. Then we can ask Germany for heaps of cash. Or start building their cars...
Old 08-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #65
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Wow ok that was unexpected. Any more details? 50 mill doesnt buy a lot in automotive development terms, but I bet this 50 mill was conditional on a co-contribution from the government...
It could very well mean another Falcon matey. And who knows what will happen after that?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #66
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
It could very well mean another Falcon matey. And who knows what will happen after that?
That would be great news.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #67
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

How would you use $50 million to keep Falcon and Territory alive for now?

Additional changes to Falcon at 2013 update?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #68
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

Wonder what the 50mill could be for? Im thinking Falcon update too.. It would be good if it was for manufacturing changes to build a third model. 50 mill from Ford and 50 mill from the Govt, 100mill total? How much did the Cruze changes at Elizabeth (on paper) cost?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #69
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

I'm thinking this is to pay for the 2013 update. Unless that has already been locked in some time ago.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 08-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #70
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am betting an announcement on the Falcon's future at the Detroit Motor Show which starts tommorrow, to coincide with this 50 million investment.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #71
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
I'm thinking this is to pay for the 2013 update. Unless that has already been locked in some time ago.
If you were going to kill Falcon off FGII would be it, no more updates and gone inside three years....

An up date that's planned and paid for in 2013 means were going to 2016, maybe a measured approach..

Now, the government is nervous, Ford has put them on notice that have Falcon "in a life boat"
Thye have a plan for a post 2015 car, how badly does the Aussie government want Ford to stay?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #72
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Well, the article did say immediate future, that says to me the 2013 update and that it may have not been a guaranteed update. So the cash might be for that, and the cynic in me is that it may be timed to 'soften' the impact of an announcement that we might not like.

On the flip side, it may be simply a lead in to a more significant investment for a new global product that FoA will develop...

Old 08-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #73
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well, the article did say immediate future, that says to me the 2013 update and that it may have not been a guaranteed update. So the cash might be for that, and the cynic in me is that it may be timed to 'soften' the impact of an announcement that we might not like.

On the flip side, it may be simply a lead in to a more significant investment for a new global product that FoA will develop...
Well it seems to be a last minute rush trip by Senator Carr to Detroit on the eve of the busiest time of year for Detroit execs. Maybe the government heard that there will be announcement at the Detroit Motor show and got Carr on the next plane over there?

Doesnt mean the announcement is positive or negative, actually it might be positive hence they wanted a government rep on the ground over there to share some of the glory.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #74
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

50Mill from FoMoCo is a good start, lets hope they have some exciting announcements on the way for us and the Falcons future.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #75
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:

I'd spend that 50Mil in a global way.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #76
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well it depends on who you look at it...engineering wise $50M wont do a heck of a alot, although FoA are very good at making something out of nothing.

Its certainly a stop gap if nothing else, I hope they blow half of it on selling the bloody thing.

Or they could go down in flames and get the Coyote in there..LOL
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #77
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I'd say thats probably likely, as it will secure the Falcons future through to 2016 or so.

I knew a little while ago they were still waiting for funding for the next update. Maybe this is the approval.

Be interesting to see wether they talk about anything beyond this or wether they will keep those well into the future model plans to themselves.

Or maybe this $50 mil is to start initial planning for an all new Falcon RWD in 2016. Can only hope.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #78
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Well it depends on who you look at it...engineering wise $50M wont do a heck of a alot, although FoA are very good at making something out of nothing.

Its certainly a stop gap if nothing else, I hope they blow half of it on selling the bloody thing.

Or they could go down in flames and get the Coyote in there..LOL

If we put the dead N/A 5.0L Program aside...

Their is nothing drivetrain wise required to be developed with the Ecoboost, EcoLpi, Petrol I6, Petrol I6T and Miami V8 (FPV..) there arn't any holes in the line up.

The only thing i can think of would be a LPi XR6T but thats hardly going to sell in the tens of thousands, same could be said for XR6T update to 275 or 285Kw, not going to sell in huge numbers but may sway a FGMK1 owner to update.

They need to work on improved build/finish quality, some fresh new colours that make people go "Wow", some nice Limited Editions and ALOT of Marketing to get people interested in the Brand once more.

Either way it's good to see some positive investment coming for the range.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #79
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
If we put the dead N/A 5.0L Program aside...

Their is nothing drivetrain wise required to be developed with the Ecoboost, EcoLpi, Petrol I6, Petrol I6T and Miami V8 (FPV..) there arn't any holes in the line up.

The only thing i can think of would be a LPi XR6T but thats hardly going to sell in the tens of thousands, same could be said for XR6T update to 275 or 285Kw, not going to sell in huge numbers but may sway a FGMK1 owner to update.

They need to work on improved build/finish quality, some fresh new colours that make people go "Wow", some nice Limited Editions and ALOT of Marketing to get people interested in the Brand once more.

Either way it's good to see some positive investment coming for the range.
Yeah I agree with that, perhaps some "One Ford" bling is going to hit the Falcon. That seems to be the major thing missing for me, you cant have the focus and mondeo showing it up tech wise, even if the Falcon is a more practical car.

edit: the only thing I think Ford should try is riding the diesel wave, I know they have invested into the LPi but private buyers are much more willing to look at TDi as euro cars have proven they work in sedans. The ute would be good with it too as I am sure most of the pickups sold at the moment would be diesel too.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 08-01-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #80
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

THE future of Ford Australia will be confirmed in the US on Tuesday with good news expected for the company’s 3500 production staff and a boost for the economy.

A fresh injection of more than $50 million is coming from Ford Motor Company that will secure the immediate future of the Falcon and Territory despite the worst showroom result in the history of the Ford flagship in 2011.
An announcement is planned for the Detroit motor show involving Ford’s global chiefs, local president Bob Graziano and a government delegation led by Federal Industry Minister Kim Carr.

The investment comes as Ford Australia andgmh jockey for positions in the plans of their global parents.
Is this something new?
You always have to wonder about the accuracy of a news story, when it quotes Fords 3500 production staff, and they only have 1750. $50 million sounds more like a "we will keep the lights on a bit longer" sort of money.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #81
dddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Well it seems to be a last minute rush trip by Senator Carr to Detroit on the eve of the busiest time of year for Detroit execs. Maybe the government heard that there will be announcement at the Detroit Motor show and got Carr on the next plane over there?

Doesnt mean the announcement is positive or negative, actually it might be positive hence they wanted a government rep on the ground over there to share some of the glory.
Bingo we have a winner, he would not have gone over there to stand beside the head Ford honcho's to receive bad news I can guarantee you that, he is there to assume some of the credit.
As I said earlier its all about public relations,getting his face in the headlines and giving people the impression they have saved the day.
Does anyone really believe this deal (god only knows how the federal has had to chip in)would not have gone ahead if he had not gone over there ??

However when all is said and done its a good thing, and certainly has prolonged what I fear is the inevitable
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #82
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I'd say thats probably likely, as it will secure the Falcons future through to 2016 or so.

I knew a little while ago they were still waiting for funding for the next update. Maybe this is the approval.

Be interesting to see wether they talk about anything beyond this or wether they will keep those well into the future model plans to themselves.

Or maybe this $50 mil is to start initial planning for an all new Falcon RWD in 2016. Can only hope.
I think they will keep Mum on future plans, they want to see how Ecoboost pans out in the Falcon first.

The brass in Dearborn have made it quite clear that they want the EBI4T to work in the Falcon, but that they won't wait forever for it to work. If an announcement does not come at NAIAS, I'm betting one will come mid year. That will give Ecoboost enough time to get some runs on the board, and if it's not, no amount of time will be and we will then know it will be curtains for the Falcon as we know it.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #83
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd

However when all is said and done its a good thing, and certainly has prolonged what I fear is the inevitable
Perhaps, but having more time to sort the situation out is only a good thing. If the falcon had no hope of continuing then this would not be happening.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #84
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

When is the EBI4T due to go on sale in the Falcon?
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #85
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Is this something new?
Surely they will be another announcement about the Falcon's future i.e. Fusion/Mondeo platform? If it's only 50 million for a Falcon refresh it seems like an awful amount of effort for Ford AU CEO and Senator Carr to go to. This would be the equivalent of a EF to EL update right? (the EL update cost 40mill in 1996 dollars)
Old 08-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #86
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Surely they will be another announcement about the Falcon's future i.e. Fusion/Mondeo platform? If it's only 50 million for a Falcon refresh it seems like an awful amount of effort for Ford AU CEO and Senator Carr to go to. This would be the equivalent of a EF to EL update right? (the EL update cost 40mill in 1996 dollars)
Yes but most design and testing is virtual now, so that reduces costs. I'd be thinking ED to EF actually.

But you're right, it is an awful lot of effort to go to with FoA CEO and the relevant Minister...either it's proof the Falcon's place in the lineup is fortified, or it is a 'sugar coating' announcement to take some negativity of a subsequent, negative announcement.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #87
dddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Perhaps, but having more time to sort the situation out is only a good thing. If the falcon had no hope of continuing then this would not be happening.
Having more time is always a good thing I agree, however I would not be to sure about that second part of your statement.

The government is not polling well at the moment, it knows its carbon tax is not popular and is likely to cost Australia jobs (wow is that an understatement) although they still deny it, so they will do anything (read throw any amount of money) to stave off bad headlines (especially about large job losses of an Australian icon) until there polling looks much better or at least to after the next election

Like I said earlier I would like to know how much our government chipped in, but we will probably never know the real figure
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #88
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Don't forget what the government is going to chip in.

I don't want to speculate on the changes. But a tightened look, and a use of higher quality plastics would top it off for me.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #89
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

Yes, the 2013 update was planned contingent on approval of funding
and Ford continuing with Falcon after the product cycle ends in 2016.
If Falcon was being discontinued, they wouldn't be doing 2013 update.

This could be a ploy to get as much government cash as possible before a major announcement..
Old 08-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #90
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED

By meeting in person it's shows just how important it is the executives how committed we are to them. Those exec's get there ego's stroked by a 'Government Official', and a "give us a go mate". And things look better. Things come out in face to face that don't in a letter or phone call.
well I can be of testament to that side of it all

the company I work for closed in 2008 and re opened in 2010 to do 8 ton of felt for 6 -12 months

our mayor of Geelong went over to the states and went to our head office and with putting 100g of funding up to them we are now open for a min of 5 yrs with production being upped to 22 ton by april this yr and really likely that we could be open for another 5 yrs after that

I know it is only 100g but it has put close to 50 people in 5 yrs work with prob another 5 yrs after

this is why the meet in person is way better than just a phone call

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post