Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #61
No.6

Default Re: Fool in a Phoon

I hope this guy pays for it for the rest of his life...making him incapable of ever owning a car worth more than 5k, or ever owning a house.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #62
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay
this kid will declare himself bankrupt.....

Yep, that seems to be the first option in these circumstances now-a-days, I've known of several younger guys that have gone this path

I'm not going to call the guy with the smashed Typhoon names, or make references to his level of intelligence, because that would be hypochritical on my part.

When I was 20, I made a similar error of judgement.

I crashed my (then)brand new Falcon into three parked cars. Wrote two of them off. I made an error of judgement, I mixed up my ambitions with my capabilities, I failed to foresee the potential consequences of my actions in the moments leading up to the 'crash'. Alcohol, youthful levels of maturity has that effect sometimes ...... often, according to the statistics.

Does that make me any less of a man today? 20 years later?

Well, I will say this.

There was no insurance paid out, as there was alcohol involved. I was left with debts that at the time seemed greater than I could ever pay off, seemed like I had dug myself a hole that I would NEVER get out of.

It took me nearly 8 years to pay my way clear of that one night of foolishness, 8 years to consider the consequences of my actions every time I was paid, and for a while - see 50% of my income go to service finance to pay out the poor buggers that I effected with my actions.

I used to be ashamed to speak about what I did. But it seems so long ago now, so 'removed' from the man I am today, I can speak of that 15 seconds of temporary insanity I experienced when I got in my pride and joy, started it up, dropped the clutch, got about 200m down the road and put it sideways into some parked cars.

Some of us make mistakes in life, and for this young man, the owner of the yellow Typhoon, he's made a doosey. The challenge for him, will be the way he choses to deal with the situation he has created.

Until then, I will reserve judgement, I will refrain from speaking of Darwin, refrain from calling him names and making broad sweeping comments about his level of intelligence.

In 20 years time, he may very well be a fine upstanding pillar of society, a bloke that learnt the hard way that grog, inexperience, and a fast car can result in some financial hurt that only moments prior to his incident would have been the LAST thing on his mind.

The right thing for him to do is suck it up, refinance a motorcar he now does not own, refinance to cover the damage he has caused to the other peoples property. He needs to man up. The way he handles this situation in the coming weeks will influence the level of damages sort by the other parties.

If he's transparent in his dealings, mature in his negotiations, humble and genuinely remorseful - demonstrated by his willingness to accept responsibility - he may very well minimise his liability, the debt burdonhe must wear.

His income would appear capable of sustaining a long term financial committment to cover the 'loss' (given he could service the debt associated with ownership of a Typhoon)

I hope he has caring family and friends, as he will need their support and guidance to DO THE RIGHT THING.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.

Last edited by tex; 03-12-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #63
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol the bloke was 20 so I'm pretty sure he would be on opens so why are people even mentioning P plate restrictions. I'm sure if he was a P plater it would have been explicitly stated in the article.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #64
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.6
I hope this guy pays for it for the rest of his life...making him incapable of ever owning a car worth more than 5k, or ever owning a house.
some of these comments are getting a bit unrealistic.

the guy is a moron who messed up, but to say he shouldn't be allowed to own a house....

drink driving is dangerous, but its not like he is the only one that does it. hell, i'd even suggest there are forum members who do it. 'but i only had a couple officer'!!

high powered cars mean you end up on the wrong side of the law much quicker, but they don't do it by themselves. unfortunately, it seems that a lot of young people don't have the ability to think rationally behind the wheel so governments have to step in and make blanket legislation because a handful can't control themselves. there is a member in this very thread as a classic example.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #65
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Some of us make mistakes in life,
well said tex, although the above part would probably be more accurate if it said 'ALL of us make mistakes'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Lol the bloke was 20 so I'm pretty sure he would be on opens so why are people even mentioning P plate restrictions. I'm sure if he was a P plater it would have been explicitly stated in the article.
good point. lots of assumptions being made.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #66
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what a ********, its people like that that screw it for all of us he deserves double the time for writing a FPV off......
Old 03-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #67
CarTooner:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
From the OP:
"The man only had his driver's licence for four months..."
Old 03-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #68
nz13boy

[quote=Motorbreath310]I think it boils down to the individual rather than the demographic the driver represents. People looking for cheap thrills behind the wheel of a car will always be idiots no matter what they're in. Most of the serious crashes involving young drivers that I've seen are in clapped out crapheaps with too many people on board.

i have to agree.

why punish the majority for the sins of the few idiots out there. for evey idiot that plays up in a h.p. car there are plenty more that dont.

idiots will be idiots, full stop.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #69
max_torq
From the Futura

It takes a particular type of bloody-minded idiocy to go 200kph through a shopping precinct which have 50km limits, the standing waving yellow flags of a race track. blanket restrictions vs p-platers, or turbo cars or even drink driving isn't the problem its the outrageous activity of an individual, and he's going to have to wear it and give thanks no-one was killed.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #70
MelsGolf
Banned

My son just got his license and im very thankful he wont have access to high powered cars for some years.
The acceleration and instantaneous power they have is just too much for inexperienced and immature young people and without many years experience will get bitten.
Even the sensible ones are bound to be egged on by mates and find it hard to resist temptation. It can all go pear shaped far too quickly.
Low powered cars might be capable of high speeds but they take a lot longer to reach those speeds than something like a F6.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #71
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've got old and new stuffs..
late model stuff is off its head....
Old 03-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #72
kempy311
BEN

The question i want to know is if they bring this law in and you already own a high powered car what happens?
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #73
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just my thoughts on a Corrolla or Mazda3 can do 200 jsut like a V8 or turbo.
Yes they can, but it does take a while, it'sthe rapid acceleration that the performance cars have that brings most young inexperieced drivers unstuck.
They slam it into 2nd after coming off peak revs in 1st and lose traction and they're gone for all money because they haven't yet learnt how to control a car.

As for learning to drive and control a car at speed or in a slide, well I think that is a double edged sword. A few hours on a skid pan and 6 months later they think they're Peter Brock after drifting around a corner in the wet fishtailing it, suddenly it all goes wrong and into a lamp post.
But I suppose some training is better than no training.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #74
marshro

also when your on your L's you can drive what ever you want so whats stopping a 16 year old getting in a 600rwkw f6 and learning to drive in that ? i mean its not like an instructors were they have a set of pedals? yes there is an instructor in the car / parent. But with my dad he trust me when i drive 17 (18 in 2 months) and i have pushed my xr6 ute pretty hard and in the wet i have taken off from lights and hit the strips of smooth tar were they have covered up cracks and had the wheels spin (was driving it like i normally drive my car wasn't pushing it at all!) It does happen when you don't expect it to but as long as when it does happen you don't just plant your foot and back off your normally pretty fine he is pretty relaxed when i drive even when i drive hard we were out in the middle of no were and i punched it up the road going 150 before you know it! but i made sure no 1 was around and i didn't stay at 150 for long i backed off pretty quick but any car can slide around or lose traction its just learning how to control the car you have and to know when you drive it hard yes you can lose control! but some people like to show off and thats when **** happens
[SIZE=3]2004 Ba xr6 ute in blueprint Typhoon upper and lower CAI! BMC air filter and a custom exhaust with pacemaker extractors with magna flow hi flo cat!! kicker 12" solo baric L5 with 1000w response mono block and 2 6" moral splits up front! And alpine 6x9 type R for the back with a 4ch genisis amp! lots of mods to come! (under drive cams LSD and custom tune with blue power cai [/SIZE

custom gear knobs! http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349707
Old 03-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #75
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshro
also when your on your L's you can drive what ever you want
Not in QLD, I tried to teach my girlfriends brother and went online to Transport and Main Roads, where it said I'd be slapped with a mega fine if I did as it was a v8.

NO V8's, NO turbo (unless it's diesel or on their approved list) and NO superchargers.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 03-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #76
BlueFG2

People make mistakes, it's what you learn from those mistakes that matter and will help him become a better person hopefully
Old 03-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #77
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

^^^THIS^^^ Well said...
Old 03-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #78
marshro

in vic i don't think it matters because i know people who have learnt in there parents xr6t and what not but different rules everywhere you go! my issue is with insurance if you rin a xr6t or 8 and you have a crash are you covered because you were in a t or 8? even if you weren't drinking?
[SIZE=3]2004 Ba xr6 ute in blueprint Typhoon upper and lower CAI! BMC air filter and a custom exhaust with pacemaker extractors with magna flow hi flo cat!! kicker 12" solo baric L5 with 1000w response mono block and 2 6" moral splits up front! And alpine 6x9 type R for the back with a 4ch genisis amp! lots of mods to come! (under drive cams LSD and custom tune with blue power cai [/SIZE

custom gear knobs! http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349707
Old 03-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #79
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

..WOW... Wonder if there is security camera footage, that would be one hell of a video!!

Dumb kid, he's going to be paying for that mistake for the rest of his life probably, the damage bills are going to be astronomical!! Digging himself out of that one is going to be so hard, he's probably owing finance on the F6 too to pay off. I wouldn't be surprised if bankruptcy is his only option.

Its lucky no one was hurt.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #80
Parkway
I Like Turtles

Isn't it funny how when you immediately obtain your opens, it is assumed you have the experience to handle any high powered car and can consume a small amount of alcohol and drive, yet the day previous to you obtaining your opens you had none of those abilities.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #81
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
They slam it into 2nd after coming off peak revs in 1st and lose traction and they're gone for all money because they haven't yet learnt how to control a car.
That is precisely why the driver training program should be revamped to include advanced driver training prior to issuing P plates. If these people are to be out on the roads in potentially dangerous situations, they need to know how to control (not just drive) a car. Give them some time in the skid pan and teach them the skills they need to maintain control of their car.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
Old 03-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #82
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The P plate restriction laws are stupid in NSW.
On my P's I wanted something like a Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, or LR Discovery. I wanted a v8 one but I was not allowed because it was a high performance vehicle according to the government. Really, these big 4x4's are banned but xr6, sv6 and similar are not banned. Honestly which is more dangerous for a new driver.

I am now off my P's and own a high performance RWD. I am the same age as the guy in the article, but I have not parked my car in anyones living room yet. Haven't even came close. The fastest I have ever driven my car is 120kmh on the freeway even though it is caplable of speed over 200km/h.

Some people just do not think about the consequences, or they have the attitude of "it wont happen to me, that's just something you see on TV. I know what I am doing"
You can't really label all young drivers as maniacs because a few of them are.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #83
xr gr8
Winter White Weapon

Drove past the scene today, somehow he's managed to get past at least four light and power poles, and a bus shelter on the way to taking out the three shops...If he's got any money left after this he needs to buy a lotto ticket!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #84
XRDeeze
UTRIED

Idiot. Just gives us p-platers more of a bad name.

Townsville Drag 1/10/11 PB: 15.34 @ 91.09 mph
Old 03-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #85
shadowrunner
Mad hatter of junk

Must be a WA thing with idiot drivers, my cousin was nearly run off the road several times by a ****** in an XR8 today. licence plate XR8SPRINT , if anyone knows him, tell him to expect the coppers as it was caught on camera and then give him a slap upside the head for me
Old 03-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #86
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
You can't really label all young drivers as maniacs because a few of them are.
thats the point Ben you may be a great and responsible driver buy young drivers are statistcaly dangerous and wreckless. they have to treat all P platers the same way so they ban all from driving fast cars. I hear the frustration of young drivers who are responsible but something had to be done to reduce the carnage.
If anyone is to blame it is your peers

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 03-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #87
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrunner
Must be a WA thing with idiot drivers, my cousin was nearly run off the road several times by a ****** in an XR8 today. licence plate XR8SPRINT , if anyone knows him, tell him to expect the coppers as it was caught on camera and then give him a slap upside the head for me
Mate, this city is full of *******. Hero road warriors (not me, lol) that are always in a hurry for no reason, and will do anything just to get where they need to go.

10 years ago, this used to be a top place to live. Now it's going to hell in a handbasket.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 04-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #88
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
thats the point Ben you may be a great and responsible driver buy young drivers are statistcaly dangerous and wreckless. they have to treat all P platers the same way so they ban all from driving fast cars. I hear the frustration of young drivers who are responsible but something had to be done to reduce the carnage.
If anyone is to blame it is your peers
I was not saying I am a great driver, but I do believe I am a sensible driver.

I know they need some restrictions to save new drivers from themselves, but if you look at the prohibited cars list for P platers, there are some damn slow vehicles on there. And there are some pretty quick cars not on the list that any P plater can drive.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:32 AM   #89
Spudz27
Call me Spud

There is an identical typhoon down here for sale. Such a waste of a nice car. Hope the fool suffers for a long time to come.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:38 AM   #90
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Enough.....

Keyboard warrior firing squad.....make ready.....aim....

CLOSED
Closed Thread