Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #61
kuzman89
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPG EF2 GLI
Seriously sounds like there is something wrong with your car! I bet you're glad there are speed limits, seeing your car lacks the ability to shift gears. Seriously though, the alloytech is not as fuel-efficient as the old eco-tec, which to me indicates that it's a step backward. More technology should mean better fuel efficiency.

As to your comments regarding the similar fuel economy between the Commo and Falc, it may be similar with the VZ model, but not likely with the VE (200kg heavier!). And the VE's weight is on par with the Falcon, which goes to show how impressive Ford's fuel efficiency is.
The alloytec isn't as fuel efficient as the ecotech? What are you on about?

I drive a VE alloytec in manual and I get around 5l/100km on the freeway. Reaches peak torque at 2600, compared to the ecotechs 3600, dont know where people are getting this info from lol

Seems like everyones an internet expert all of a sudden lol
kuzman89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #62
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzman89

I drive a VE alloytec in manual and I get around 5l/100km on the freeway. Reaches peak torque at 2600, compared to the ecotechs 3600, dont know where people are getting this info from lol

Do the math yourself when you fill up the tank, I bet that the fuel calculator is out. No way in hell would something like a Commodore/Falcon get 5L/100km, freeway or not. 90% of my driving is in 100 zones and the best we've gotten out of Dad's 323 is just under 7L 100km.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #63
kuzman89
Starter Motor

Not a stock intake, OTR, all holden need to do to improve fuel efficiency is an OTR.
Old 13-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #64
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

There is no way I will believe a Commodore VE V6 would achieve 5lrs/100 klm on the hwy either, I think you are telling porky's here mate, It aint going to happen.
My little laser will achieve 6ltrs/100 on hwy.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #65
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The VZ sits on about 8L/100km on the open road, 12.5L/100km in city traffic and 11.5L/100km combined (all real world figures with 98RON PULP).

After the initial shift from 1st into 2nd, the rest of the gear shifts are practically imperceptible. I remember riding a friend's VE Omega and boy, the 4-speed auto in that was horrendous in comparison - flaring/surging from 1st to 2nd and thumping the rest of the way!

Regards,
Dave
Old 13-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #66
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPG EF2 GLI
Seriously sounds like there is something wrong with your car! I bet you're glad there are speed limits, seeing your car lacks the ability to shift gears.
It sits on 100km/h at well below 2000rpm in top gear just fine!

Regards,
Dave
Old 14-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #67
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
There is no way I will believe a Commodore VE V6 would achieve 5lrs/100 klm on the hwy either, I think you are telling porky's here mate, It aint going to happen.
My little laser will achieve 6ltrs/100 on hwy.

I've seen it with my own eyes, ill upload some pics if kuz doesnt
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #68
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer

Easy set the trip computer to instant L / 100 km, and coast in Neutral.

OR

Reset the average, and do the above to update the average achieved while coasting.....

OR

Leave the car in gear and take the foot off the throttle whilst doing the above.

Take a pic....

Post on Australian Ford Forums...

Easy :
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #69
kezzer

Yeh seeing as I drive an FG I6

You guys are hilarious, I remember the disbelief from blue that an alloytec could rev upto 9k-10k. I bet if I said my FG was getting 5-6l/100km at 100km/h there would be mass celebration. :

I beat him from 0-100 (as I should his is over 3 years old lol) but without any mods so far he beats me in fuel economy. He will confirm but I think he has an OTR CAI, rear mufflers replaced and the 2inch section of his exhaust replaced.
Old 14-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #70
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

no-one believes you. just stop trying.

My Commodore does 25L/100klms, beat that with a six.
Old 14-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #71
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

If the Commodore was that good on fuel they wouldn't be changing to a 3.0L engine.
A snapshot of cruise economy means nothing.

Can we now stop the ****ing contest and go back to facts.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #72
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeh seeing as I drive an FG I6

You guys are hilarious, I remember the disbelief from blue that an alloytec could rev upto 9k-10k. I bet if I said my FG was getting 5-6l/100km at 100km/h there would be mass celebration. :

I beat him from 0-100 (as I should his is over 3 years old lol) but without any mods so far he beats me in fuel economy. He will confirm but I think he has an OTR CAI, rear mufflers replaced and the 2inch section of his exhaust replaced.
Figure it out manually, and I bet there will be no way you'll ever get 5L/100km, EVER.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #73
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
If the Commodore was that good on fuel they wouldn't be changing to a 3.0L engine.
More of the fact holden wouldn't and couldn't warrant aftermarket stuff. Have any of you seen the VE air intake? So restrictive, how it gets any air into the the engine in the first place is beyond me. : Its good though for you're average joe that dont know how to clean an air filter, let alone open the bonnet.
Old 14-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #74
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzman89

The magazines have quietly said for years that the trip computer in the Commodores have been optimistic. They are closer now, but still about 4% optimistic.

The worst were VY-VZ which showed up to 13% less consumption than actual.

Do yourself a favour. Fill it to the brim, reset the meter and refill when required. Then manually work it out. You will be unpleasantly suprised.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #75
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
You can show me all the pic's you want, like I said I will and refuse to believe you, a stock commodore will not get that millage on the hwy.
Do us all a favour and stop trying to tell us, go and manually calculate it yourself and see for your own eyes.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #76
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah and my neighbours 351 carb fed XD gets 7ltr/100kms. Honest Ill get a pick of him next to the bowser read out after a fill up and another one of him pointing at his trip meter to prove
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2009, 01:20 AM   #77
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No Commodore or Falcon will return real life highway figures below 7-8L/100km. Honestly.

Regards,
Dave
Old 15-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #78
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I think the lowest instantaneous readout I've seen on my BA on the highway was in the 5's and 6's, but as I said that's the instantaneous readout which jumps all over the place depending on throttle position, headwinds etc. It could jump up to 8 or 9 or 10 especially if you start driving into a headwind. The BA (and the VE for that matter) aint the most aerodynamic car out on the town...
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #79
Wally
XP Coupe

I think my air conditioner uses 5litre/100km all by itself. _2:
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #80
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredByCNG
No Commodore or Falcon will return real life highway figures below 7-8L/100km. Honestly.

Regards,
Dave
You may want to clarify that by stating "No current model Falcon" as the old E series could do that easily.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #81
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
a stock commodore will not get that millage on the hwy.
Its not stock
:

Already cleared that up.

Even if its 4% out on the trip computers, still would see around 6l/100km at 100km an hour.

And filling it up isnt and calculating it yourself isnt really going to work is it? As he said Freeway driving, no fuel stations on the freeway
Old 15-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #82
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

What has most of this discussion got to do with the original topic.

Off topic posts will be deleted
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #83
kuzman89
Starter Motor

Hey guys, to be fair, I meant 5l/100km was around the best ive ever got, monaro on justcommodores has got 4.6l/100km at 100km/h.

Average on my way to bairnsdale and back (pure freeway driving, I live in narre) I get around 6l/100km if you round it up, sometimes climbs to 7 or 8 if its really windy though. I have an aftermarket OTR placed on my car, a/m mufflers and the hotdogs and 2" section cut out of my otherwise 2.25" stock exhaust. This is with only one passenger and an empty car, ie nothing in the back of the ute.

Getting back on topic, think its pretty much confirmed there will be the 3.0l and 3.6l DI variants.

For 3l to be viable I think holden would have to shed a few 100 kg of the wieght of the car, as 300nm is a joke for a 1700kg car. Still think that the 3.6l version will be more economical to run. If it wasnt so expensive I would be putting the w427 OTR CAI on all models as stock, this would truly kick a**e.
Old 17-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #84
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

So how are they going to price the 3L? Surely it would have to be cheaper than the current Omega.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 11:42 PM   #85
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
So how are they going to price the 3L? Surely it would have to be cheaper than the current Omega.
Doubt it knowing Holden theyll shove an Eco badge or some such ****y name, chuck some alloys at and charge Berlina prices.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 01:37 AM   #86
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01

Theres the extra cost of the D.I. Also they'll price it against their opposition even if it was cheaper.
Old 18-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #87
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Theres the extra cost of the D.I. Also they'll price it against their opposition even if it was cheaper.
Read somewhere a few months ago about the cost of going to DI. Apparently, it's in the order of just a few hundred bucks for someone like GMH or Ford.

Retrotech thread
Old 19-06-2009, 12:58 AM   #88
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Read somewhere a few months ago about the cost of going to DI. Apparently, it's in the order of just a few hundred bucks for someone like GMH or Ford.
A few hundred dollars per car is big money. So I doubt they would be reducing the price of the car.
Old 19-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #89
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
A few hundred dollars per car is big money. So I doubt they would be reducing the price of the car.
Exactly, they won't be lowering the price like someone suggested. No way.

Retrotech thread
Old 21-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #90
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
It was around $1000 a year or 2 ago. Its not cheap technology. May have come down since then though.

A 3 litre in a VE, with less than 300nm of torque. Just what a lardarse like the VE needs, less torque.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post