Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #61
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Heaven forbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Right! Besides fermentation, name one single advancement that has not brought untold misery to human kind...
distillation

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #62
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
distillation
Ok!!! Besides fermentation and distillation, name one single advancement that has not brought untold misery to human kind...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #63
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Ok!!! Besides fermentation and distillation, name one single advancement that has not brought untold misery to human kind...
Starting to sound like Monty Python
Quote:
All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2016, 10:49 AM   #64
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
Starting to sound like Monty Python
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
Quote:
All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
lol Romani ite domum

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 27-08-2016, 11:01 AM   #65
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of people seem to be worried because they enjoy driving and this makes autonomous vehicles boring. In my opinion there will always be an option to drive for pleasure, but do you really enjoy driving in peak hour traffic through the city? Or as I do, leaving for work at 4am with a 1.5 hour journey? I could do without these things.

Now I enjoy driving but I could do without the work commute, I'd have an autonomous car for this purpose alone. On my days off I'd drive my 'real' car.

A solution to autonomous traffic dealing with human traffic is to just have seperate lanes where possible. Really, autonomous cars should be able to travel at 150-200kmh on highways with a 1m gap between vehicles.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #66
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
In my opinion there will always be an option to drive for pleasure
I tend to believe this as well , but would be far from surprised if to "encourage" the autonomous use they would probably implement a bigger stick to hit the driver with for smaller things than they do now

Old 27-08-2016, 12:38 PM   #67
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all...If a fully autonomous vehicle causes a crash..do you take the owner to court , the manufacturer maybe OR the bloody car..Could be an issue over time or do new litigation laws need to be invented too ? Will it cook tea , do the washing and mow the lawn too..If so I'll save up and buy one in 2030..This audio is from another ABC radio show http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podca...30602_1130.mp3 . The one I started the thread from was just this week on ABC Local Radio in Tasmania..not the same bloke.. Cheers Rod

Last edited by roddy1960; 27-08-2016 at 12:49 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #68
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A lot of people seem to be worried because they enjoy driving and this makes autonomous vehicles boring. In my opinion there will always be an option to drive for pleasure, but do you really enjoy driving in peak hour traffic through the city? Or as I do, leaving for work at 4am with a 1.5 hour journey? I could do without these things.

Now I enjoy driving but I could do without the work commute, I'd have an autonomous car for this purpose alone. On my days off I'd drive my 'real' car.

A solution to autonomous traffic dealing with human traffic is to just have seperate lanes where possible. Really, autonomous cars should be able to travel at 150-200kmh on highways with a 1m gap between vehicles.
Yes please. I can see city centres being autonomous only at some point, while suburbs and country roads are a combination of the two. (With some exceptions for emergency vehicles, delivery trucks, residents, etc)

I'm thinking 1m gap on the highway won't come about because there could still be a break down/blown tyre, etc.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #69
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all...CRUISE CONTROL...I suppose that's autonomous ,sort of..add in more recent stuff as follows..DCS , ABS , Traction control , Lane departure warning , Blind spot monitoring , Crash avoidance thing like what Subaru does , sonar and reversing camera warning stuff , GPS talking to you , weather and roadworks notifications and Park Assist...probably other stuff too...We're bloody half way there already without really thinking about it..Maybe in 2030 we'll just one day realise it's happened already..Kind of sneaking up on us. I suppose also the day may come some time when driver licences won't exist because you won't actually need to drive at all if this is where technology ends up..All would be needed is a permit or registration of the privately owned conveyance...Cheers Rod.

Last edited by roddy1960; 27-08-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 27-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #70
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Eventually we will be able to sit around like stunned mullets all day watching the world pass by as robots do absolutly everything for us.
Once driverless cars are perfected there goes majority of the transport industry jobs. Not everyone in the industry can re train to be autonomous vehicle maintainers and technicians.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-08-2016, 11:46 PM   #71
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I wouldn't worry too much.

In the 50's all our cars were supposed to be able to fly and be rocket powered by the 70's.

What ever happened to the flux capacity and time travel, wasn't that due last year

Old 28-08-2016, 12:01 AM   #72
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I dont care if driverless cars become the norm. As long as they are not mandatory. And if they do become the norm the state guvs will have to dream up a new revenue source. It will most certainly be X amount of dollars per kilometer that you drive in them. We will then see that all this fines for road safety for the BS that it really is.
Old 28-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #73
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry...not driving a car that will have to be programmed to kill me in certain circumstances.
Plenty of articles have come out saying that cars will have to have some sort of ethical routines that are a kind of "greater good" thing...for instance, someone pulls out in front of you from a stop sign...does your self driving car swerve into the path of an oncoming truck or into a light pole, to probably kill you, but at the same time save a bunch of pedestrians it knows are standing on the footpath?
These are serious issues that will have to be programmed into them.
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/5...ammed-to-kill/

Sorry...I'm driving.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #74
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Sorry...?

Sorry...I'm driving.
How is this any different to a human having to make a similar decision!
Other than the fact even todays autonomous test beds perform better than most average drivers in those situations.
Computer driven car will out react any human and probably be programmed to not get into trouble in the first place. I.e. don't enter that particular intersection as the risk is too great?
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #75
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day , Good points and really good things to think about 2011G6E and OutbackJack Jpblue and all...First on ethicals , that's something I never thought of. Should cars like these ever truly exist a whole new set of parameters would have to be brought in for such things. On the revenue thing..What's the Highway Patrol going to do..Speeding won't be an issue , drink driving probably if you're ****ed and not sitting at the wheel or mobile phones usage ..same thing. If you're not driving , nothing to stop you..
I also suppose that with a plethora of cameras , sensors and control systems that such seriously automated vehicles would require a whole new level of assessment to try and ensure they were working safely.Roadworthies would become an even bigger deal something akin to a signed off overhaul of a passenger jet ..The IT tech at work owns a 2015 Subaru Outback ..Cracked windscreen early this year. Louisa , the techy , was telling us that it had to go to Subaru because of the monitors involved with screen. No Windscreen O'Brien necessarily..As time goes on lets just see where our statutory authorities take us with this stuff .Imagine this.... Dad takes his son to a museum in 2055..Kid asks " What's that over there" Father replies " That's an old fashioned car son . Your Grandfather had one " Kid looks puzzled and asks "What's that round thing on one side and that stick coming up from the floor Dad" ."Well son , believe it or not , once upon a time they used to actually control and drive them for themselves"...Heaven Forbid" .Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 28-08-2016 at 10:22 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #76
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Sorry...not driving a car that will have to be programmed to kill me in certain circumstances.
Plenty of articles have come out saying that cars will have to have some sort of ethical routines that are a kind of "greater good" thing...for instance, someone pulls out in front of you from a stop sign...does your self driving car swerve into the path of an oncoming truck or into a light pole, to probably kill you, but at the same time save a bunch of pedestrians it knows are standing on the footpath?

Sorry...I'm driving.
Well in your scenario, what would YOU do?

Maybe you can adjust your settings to your own ethics, options could be:

1) Save myself at any cost in the event of evasive action being required (also, ensure its the wife's side of the car which slides into the pole if necessary)
2) Save as many people as possible, even at my own risk.

But hey, if the driver who pulled out of the stop sign without looking had an autonomous vehicle this never would have happened right?
Old 28-08-2016, 01:38 PM   #77
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The theoretical autonomous cars coming in the next few years would have recognised the danger and applied the brakes while the human brain was still halfway through thinking "oh ****". No need to swerve. Actually if all cars were autonomous there wouldn't have been an issue as the cars would have been communicating with each other and therefore aware of each others' intentions long before they came into contact.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2016, 02:36 PM   #78
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all the chicken little's running around screaming the skynet has fallen the skynet has fallen the terminator cars are out to kill ME
so we cant have these cars because people may die , people are dying out there on the roads now is it the self drive cars fault ?
and who do you blame at the moment if the person that caused the situation is dead ie no one to take the blame

Old 28-08-2016, 05:09 PM   #79
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I think that too many are putting too much faith in automation. Look at Airbus. Arguably the most automated machines in history (so far) and they seem to have had more than a few issues.
Old 28-08-2016, 05:27 PM   #80
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
How is this any different to a human having to make a similar decision!
Other than the fact even todays autonomous test beds perform better than most average drivers in those situations.
Computer driven car will out react any human and probably be programmed to not get into trouble in the first place. I.e. don't enter that particular intersection as the risk is too great?
JP
If you could make a minor steering adjustment to change your fate or your familys IE : in an unsaveable out of control situation that would either kill you or your family ....... you would have choice , with the computer your fate is decided in a millisecond .

Edit : you may not have been at fault , it may be someone else`s causing .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #81
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem i suspect is going to be money , a simple ecu for my brothers toyota list price was $ 5000.00 , and probably if you look into most car makers price lists , these sorts of items will probably be comparable , now imagine the bunch of sensors, gizmos and computer gear, wiring , implementation , and any infrastructure , programming , testing .
And its going to have to be probably more idiot proof than any aircraft system , as there is a lot more stuff to hit and more unpredictable elements on the roadways .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #82
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all again...Theoretically in a perfect world , cars interfacing with each other , avoiding collisions , taking the best route to a destination etc etc sounds great..trouble could be if there is a fault with the car or the link to the car that has the possibility of leaving someone stranded , maybe being taken for urgent medical care ie..snake bite or such..or even more mundane things like change of destination due to something unexpected cropping up out of the blue. like "Uh oh got to work late honey You'll need to pick up the kids from school" .What happens if a sensor just stops suddenly..So many variables to permit total autonomy..I'd take a guess and say that for a considerable time an override system something akin to cruise control dis engagement and re engagement would HAVE TO be ready at hand. Autonomy would be a bonus feature for convenience initially and the direct responsibility of the vehicle owner until the day comes that fail safes are as close to fool proof as they can be. Nothing is perfect ..not even computers.With the Sync ll voice activation system has anyone asked the 'voice' for a date yet ?..Just as well David Hasselhoffs KITT car isn't here Maybe he'd get his diodes out and ask her !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .Cheers Rod...

Last edited by roddy1960; 28-08-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 28-08-2016, 06:28 PM   #83
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
The theoretical autonomous cars coming in the next few years would have recognised the danger and applied the brakes while the human brain was still halfway through thinking "oh ****". No need to swerve. Actually if all cars were autonomous there wouldn't have been an issue as the cars would have been communicating with each other and therefore aware of each others' intentions long before they came into contact.

Just need robotics controlled wildlife and pedestrians that can communicate with autonomous cars so the cars can brake before the kangaroos even step foot on the road.

I wouldn't want my autonomous car to swerve around a kangaroo and end up sliding on some gravel into a tree.
How will autonomous cars know what things are not to bad to run into and what should be avoided at all costs.
Old 28-08-2016, 06:28 PM   #84
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
I think that too many are putting too much faith in automation. Look at Airbus. Arguably the most automated machines in history (so far) and they seem to have had more than a few issues.
And how many deaths has Airbus had per person, per journey, per kilometre compared with human driven cars?
3 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #85
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And how many deaths has Airbus had per person, per journey, per kilometre compared with human driven cars?
Someone told me that airliners use the ratio of fatalities per passenger miles. So a plane with 100 passengers flies 100 kms without an incident, then they say that's 10,000kms fatality free.
Not sure if that is true, but it would be interesting to compare all transports fatality rate based on the number of people in each vehicle.
Old 28-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #86
BOSHOG
avenge me

were very close already with lane guidance, adaptive cruise control and auto parking becoming commonplace. i for one cant wait, so many drivers on the road are just plain oblivious to their surroundings, its becoming very dangerous.
Old 29-08-2016, 03:35 PM   #87
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Someone told me that airliners use the ratio of fatalities per passenger miles. So a plane with 100 passengers flies 100 kms without an incident, then they say that's 10,000kms fatality free.
Not sure if that is true, but it would be interesting to compare all transports fatality rate based on the number of people in each vehicle.
I think even regardless of that planes are safer.

Say you take 10 journeys in a car driven by yourself per week, I still think you'd be much much safer taking 10 journeys in a plane per week.
Old 29-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #88
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
Look at Airbus. Arguably the most automated machines in history (so far) and they seem to have had more than a few issues.
And Boeing haven't? Not really a fair comparison, comparing automation with aeronautical mishaps, IMHO.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #89
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG View Post
were very close already with lane guidance, adaptive cruise control and auto parking becoming commonplace. i for one cant wait, so many drivers on the road are just plain oblivious to their surroundings, its becoming very dangerous.
Yep, watching the monthly "Dash Cams Australia" videos on youtube, it makes you look forward to the day when the computers do all the driving. They'll have problems of their own, but computers won't drink drive or play on phones or fall asleep.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #90
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG View Post
Exactly. It's just a matter of time. Once the technology is in place people will jump on this if they can afford it.

Reduced traffic, less driving time, much lower chance of an accident, almost no chance of a fine for a traffic offense, probably reduced insurance and running costs.

Soon enough it will be an option in everyday cars. Not long after that, it will be standard in most $20k run-abouts.

Just look at the evolution of much of the stuff that is now common place in most cars. How long ago was it that it was only in the top end models? How long before that was it just a rough idea scribbled out on a napkin?

* Cruise control?
* AC?
* Automatic tranny?
* Airbags?
* Crumple zones?
* ABS and the rest of the electronic aides?
* EFI?
* Navigation?
* Touch screen tech / connectivity?
* Self parking?
* Lane departure?
* Blind spot monitoring?

Etc etc etc...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: