Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-07-2015, 08:12 PM   #61
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Ecoboost Mustang runs 12's with a tune

Obviously cost being no barrier, you'd go the V8 but the EB4 is shaping up to be a pretty good compromise if you can even call it that IMO. I reckon it is pretty damn good value.

I'd definitely go the EB4 if that is as far as I could stretch. I've only owned 4 cyls thus far so no big deal to me.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 09:34 PM   #62
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
His point could be that the Xr8 has gained 50% more power where the Mustang Ecoboost has nearly 100% more power than most average 4 cylinders from back in the day
I just love that everyone's talking about POWER and SPEED and PERFORMANCE again.....not gizmos and electronics. Just as it should be for a true to the soul performance car. If you want overall package tech garbage....then there's Toyota and boring euros for that!(bit harsh but point made)
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #63
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I agree to an extent but in the mustang your paying for dynamics and style rather than fuel economy and practicality.
But you can get all of that with an EcoBoost Mustang.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:43 PM   #64
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic View Post
But you can get all of that with an EcoBoost Mustang.
Precisely...if you were going to buy a family car, why not something interesting that looked like that, with four cylinder running costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Obviously cost being no barrier, you'd go the V8 but the EB4 is shaping up to be a pretty good compromise if you can even call it that IMO. I reckon it is pretty damn good value.

I'd definitely go the EB4 if that is as far as I could stretch. I've only owned 4 cyls thus far so no big deal to me.
I could stretch to the V8 Mustang...but I don't want to. Here in Queensland it's a major enough purchase without considering the extra cost of V8 rego which is, to be blunt, extortionate...around $500 more than a four cylinder, and while I like V8's I don't like them that much. It adds up.
Plus the ecoboost four is "interesting". A V8 one is, to be blunt, "just" a V8 Mustang. Ho-hum.
V8's are rapidly becoming old hat...I know plenty of people out here with FPV's and HSV's...but if they weren't lease cars, there's no way on Earth they say they would own a V8 if they were paying for their own rego. That's why so many "bargains" pop up around here once the lease is up...people want to move on to the next car rather than keep this one and pay for everything themselves.

I will wait and see what availablity is like next year...surely they're not going to be able to keep the one year to eighteen month lead time between paying and picking up your car...surely.
If they do I predict the Australian Mustang will go the way of the dodo in a short time...you need sales volume to keep things profitable and please the bean counters and shareholders...there's a reason we soon won't have an Australian built large car...

I'd be interested to know how many "ordinary" potential buyers as opposed to hard core, I'll-wait-any-time-needed, car buyers have turned away from a Mustang when they heard the wait time...I know I did, and have heard first hand from several other people at work so far who said, as we did, "Oh...bugger that", and started asking about other cars on the lot.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 10-07-2015 at 11:54 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 12:22 AM   #65
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Precisely...if you were going to buy a family car, why not something interesting that looked like that, with four cylinder running costs?

I could stretch to the V8 Mustang...but I don't want to. Here in Queensland it's a major enough purchase without considering the extra cost of V8 rego which is, to be blunt, extortionate...around $500 more than a four cylinder, and while I like V8's I don't like them that much. It adds up.
Plus the ecoboost four is "interesting". A V8 one is, to be blunt, "just" a V8 Mustang. Ho-hum.
V8's are rapidly becoming old hat...I know plenty of people out here with FPV's and HSV's...but if they weren't lease cars, there's no way on Earth they say they would own a V8 if they were paying for their own rego. That's why so many "bargains" pop up around here once the lease is up...people want to move on to the next car rather than keep this one and pay for everything themselves.

I will wait and see what availablity is like next year...surely they're not going to be able to keep the one year to eighteen month lead time between paying and picking up your car...surely.
If they do I predict the Australian Mustang will go the way of the dodo in a short time...you need sales volume to keep things profitable and please the bean counters and shareholders...there's a reason we soon won't have an Australian built large car...

I'd be interested to know how many "ordinary" potential buyers as opposed to hard core, I'll-wait-any-time-needed, car buyers have turned away from a Mustang when they heard the wait time...I know I did, and have heard first hand from several other people at work so far who said, as we did, "Oh...bugger that", and started asking about other cars on the lot.
I don't agree that V8's are becoming old hat. V8s are still a pinnacle of performance engines. Boosted 4 while delivering fantastic performance for what it is will never be a V8 replacement . There is a reason that Ecoboost feeds synthetic engine sound into the cabin through speakers. Engine sound is standard in V8 but you pay more for it in rego ,fuel or insurance. For some it is worth it and for some it is not.
Barra turbo is not a good comparison to Mustang situation as it is a big six and not a four cyl turbo four. How many Ecoboost Falcons do you see around ?
V8s are just going to become a more exclusive option in Australia because of demise of affordable locally made models. It will be more of the Euro situation where many desire a V8 but only wealthy can afford to buy and run one. Mustang will along with 300 probably become the entry level V8 engine car in Australia in next couple of years.
Cost is relative to what your priorities are - I am happy to skip some of daily luxuries for a pleasure of having a V8 as a daily drive.
I am not excluding a possibility that I am a dinosaur :-)
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 12:36 AM   #66
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post

I get what you're saying but If I could afford the V8 I'd definitely go for it. $500/yr extra rego would not be a deciding point for me. I pay nearly $1k for a 13yr old WRX as it is now.

I have always wanted a V8, I'm just trying to figure which one these days with the choices

But I reckon the EB4 will be well and truly up there. A lot of potential, the only thing it lacks is the V8 sound.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #67
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
I don't agree that V8's are becoming old hat. V8s are still a pinnacle of performance engines. Boosted 4 while delivering fantastic performance for what it is will never be a V8 replacement . There is a reason that Ecoboost feeds synthetic engine sound into the cabin through speakers. Engine sound is standard in V8 but you pay more for it in rego ,fuel or insurance. For some it is worth it and for some it is not.
Barra turbo is not a good comparison to Mustang situation as it is a big six and not a four cyl turbo four. How many Ecoboost Falcons do you see around ?
V8s are just going to become a more exclusive option in Australia because of demise of affordable locally made models. It will be more of the Euro situation where many desire a V8 but only wealthy can afford to buy and run one. Mustang will along with 300 probably become the entry level V8 engine car in Australia in next couple of years.
Cost is relative to what your priorities are - I am happy to skip some of daily luxuries for a pleasure of having a V8 as a daily drive.
I am not excluding a possibility that I am a dinosaur :-)
There's nothing synthetic about EcoBoost sound. There's a bit of plastic pipe feeding real sound into the cabin, so enthusiasts get a nice sound without worrying about getting done for noise pollution. If you want more sound, Chuck an exhaust on.They sound quite nice.

I love V8s but agree the world is moving on. People aren't settling for other engine types, they're embracing them as legitimate ways to access power/speed. Look at the Ford GT halo car, now a TTV6.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #68
G RUSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
There's nothing synthetic about EcoBoost sound. There's a bit of plastic pipe feeding real sound into the cabin, so enthusiasts get a nice sound without worrying about getting done for noise pollution. If you want more sound, Chuck an exhaust on.They sound quite nice.

I love V8s but agree the world is moving on. People aren't settling for other engine types, they're embracing them as legitimate ways to access power/speed. Look at the Ford GT halo car, now a TTV6.
EB mustangs actually do come with Active Noise Control via the stereo, effectively cancelling out undesired tones to make it sound nice. You can pull a fuse to disable but the stereo also goes quiet.

The V8 has the sound tube poking into the cabin to add a bit of intake drama.
G RUSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 11:55 AM   #69
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post

http://jalopnik.com/the-2015-ford-mu...ise-1638853878
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #70
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
I just love that everyone's talking about POWER and SPEED and PERFORMANCE again.
I was having a chat last week to Autotech Engineering, there purchasing 2 Mustangs for purely performance development and there not forgetting about 4 cyl ecoboost customers, there waiting delivery on a 4 cyl and a V8.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #71
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

.....bit off topic but still relevant.

500rwhp EcoBoost Mustang running Precision turbo pushing 29psi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoNftuJ2Nzs

Sound pretty good on the dyno starting at 3:55
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #72
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

So why aren't any Aussies whingeing about not getting the V6 model? That's our base car.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #73
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
My bad, the ST EcoBoosts have an old timey plastic pipe.

However from that Jalopnik article:

"We don't create an artificial sound, we don't pluck one off the shelf, we bring in the real sound, process it, and play it through the car's speakers."

At the end of the day mate go buy a v8, I'll get an EcoBoost and we'll both be happy in our pony cars.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #74
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Eco boost stang. Just doesn't seem like a muscle car. A good tuner though.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 10:27 PM   #75
4stanger