Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #61
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why do people keep buying VE commodores?

Have a look at the entire range Ford vs Holden. Pretty much every reviewer in the country rates

# Fiesta better than Barina
#Focus better than Cruze
#Mondeo (WAY) better than Epica (or whatever midsize car they sell)
# Falcon better than Commodore
# Territory better than Captiva
# Ranger better than Colorado

Kudos to Holden, they are doing something right. Or Ford are doing something seriously wrong. I dont hate Holdens. For a large part of the 80's and 90's I think they prob had a bettter product. Its just hard to understand why theres such a massive discrepency in sales btw the 2 these days, to the point where Falcon is on life support
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #62
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Makes me wonder why a thread like this would appear on a Ford Forum....You won't get too many people that would jump in and say how terrific a Holden is on a Ford Forum.

Me personally think both are very plastically inside....But that's the norm with all modern vehicles....I tend to bash my head more on the A-pillar of a BA onwards Falcon than a VE Commodore, due to the roof line...This tends to erk me a bit. But that's all part and parcel of how it's been designed to reduce fuel consumption.

Yes, both cars have their design floors.....But what car doesn't?

I tend to think, the reason people buy the Commodore is because of advertising....You tend to see and hear more advetising of this brand, compared to the Falcon....and that sort of thing sticks in the mind, when it comes to the everyday run of the mill person....

It's been done before on here...Ford need to advertise more to get the brand known again.....Then they might outstrip the Commodore sales...

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #63
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Makes me wonder why a thread like this would appear on a Ford Forum....You won't get too many people that would jump in and say how terrific a Holden is on a Ford Forum.

Me personally think both are very plastically inside....But that's the norm with all modern vehicles....I tend to bash my head more on the A-pillar of a BA onwards Falcon than a VE Commodore, due to the roof line...This tends to erk me a bit. But that's all part and parcel of how it's been designed to reduce fuel consumption.

Yes, both cars have their design floors.....But what car doesn't?

I tend to think, the reason people buy the Commodore is because of advertising....You tend to see and hear more advetising of this brand, compared to the Falcon....and that sort of thing sticks in the mind, when it comes to the everyday run of the mill person....

It's been done before on here...Ford need to advertise more to get the brand known again.....Then they might outstrip the Commodore sales...
I do think it is possible to outsell commodore again!! I dont think it will be in big numbers thou. unless people go back too large sedans. I got in an arguement with someone before about why would you buy a big car?? I told them because i like them. I'm not going to buy something i dont like. apparently his captiva can do so much more then my falcon. untill i said wouldnt be as good as mine at overtaking lol
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #64
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Im not so sure its marketing, product lineup, price or styling.
I think for many its just ignorance.
I dont mean ignorance, like they have anything against a particular brand etc. but ignorance in that they have been brainwashed to believe that Holdens are better and have never looked outside the box.

I have a mate who i've known for 25 years.
he worked for Holdens at Elizabeth from VL through to VP release and has always sworn by Commodores.
When quizzed on this, his only argument was that Holdens were better...
Compared to what i said...

Chirp...chirp...

Fact is he had never looked at anything else as he was content with what the Commodore provided in terms of driving characteristics, fit and finish and value for money.
When you dont know any better, what are you missing...

Then, a few years ago he stacked his Commodore, had let his insurance lapse and had to start from scratch.
He asked me to help him find a cheap replacement until he got his finances in order, he had 2k to spend.
We hunted through the papers and the net, he kept looking for Holdens, but i had spotted a mint ZL Lane and after exhausting all other avenues, i popped the question about giving Ford a go.
At first he was reluctant, but i told him he had nothing to lose having a look.

Well, he bought the ZL on the spot, it was a damn nice example.
Fast frward to now and he has a 02 AU Futura Classic in the driveway and wouldnt part with it.
He now tells me he wishes he had listened to me earlier and had given Ford a chance.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #65
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider
I do think it is possible to outsell commodore again!! I dont think it will be in big numbers thou. unless people go back too large sedans. I got in an arguement with someone before about why would you buy a big car?? I told them because i like them. I'm not going to buy something i dont like. apparently his captiva can do so much more then my falcon. untill i said wouldnt be as good as mine at overtaking lol

I'm a big fan of big cars myself, but unfortunately the big car era is dying slowly....(much to my dislike)...So from that prospective, the difference in sales between the Commodore and Falcon will be small....No disagreement there.

It seems to be general concensis that Ford have been lacking in the advertising area, hence the slow down in sales.....That being said, I have started to see a few Ford adds pop up on the telly, but can't say I've heard any radio advertising.....Maybe that's the area the company needs to focus on to sway the non-ford new car buyers.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 29-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #66
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Im not so sure its marketing, product lineup, price or styling.
I think for many its just ignorance.
I dont mean ignorance, like they have anything against a particular brand etc. but ignorance in that they have been brainwashed to believe that Holdens are better and have never looked outside the box.

I have a mate who i've known for 25 years.
he worked for Holdens at Elizabeth from VL through to VP release and has always sworn by Commodores.
When quizzed on this, his only argument was that Holdens were better...
Compared to what i said...

Chirp...chirp...

Fact is he had never looked at anything else as he was content with what the Commodore provided in terms of driving characteristics, fit and finish and value for money.
When you dont know any better, what are you missing...

Can't really agree there....I have a mate that's been there for 30+ years (it was his first and only employer)...He buys a new Commodore every few years, due to employee pricing (he currently owns a VY, so he has had it for a while) and he loves the product.....However his car passion lays with a pentastar...he has owned them for years and absolutely loves them.

Old 29-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #67
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by desGT
I have had mainly Fords, and am on my 2nd GT. BUT, going to move to a VF HSV Tourer not only because I want the extra space, but FPV royalled me when they brought out the 335 less than a year after the FG - same model, etc. Real bad planning and loss of a customer!
You might want to check out what a certain car manufacturer did to their existing V8 customers when they brought out the VT II SS/HSV (equipped with the LS1) less than 2 years after the release of the VT I (equipped with the Aussie 5 litre).

Oh, and the 335 was brought out over 2 years after the release of the FG.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #68
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR
I think the taxi thing would play a bigger part then you think.
A lot of people see Falcon's as just Taxi's, but whenever I see a Commodore, SS/SSV in particular, I just see a potential un-marked Police car waiting to ping me for doing 0.000000111kmh over the limit.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #69
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley
I dont hate Holdens. For a large part of the 90's I think they prob had a bettter product.
Yup, the Opel Barina was a much better product than the Kia Festiva. As for anything else in the range at the time, are you sure? IMO in the AU-VT era the discrepancy between Ford and Holden was largest. Holden's local product hasn't been particularly great since 1988.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #70
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Can't really agree there....I have a mate that's been there for 30+ years (it was his first and only employer)...He buys a new Commodore every few years, due to employee pricing (he currently owns a VY, so he has had it for a while) and he loves the product.....However his car passion lays with a pentastar...he has owned them for years and absolutely loves them.
And that means...

So he's worked there for 30 years, buys them regularly, but not for 6 years and prefers chryslers.
I can understand if he has bought inhouse over the last 30 years with the discounts they get, so why not get one recently if price is his thing.

I have a mate who's been there for 25 years as of last week when they presented him with his 25yr service award.
I always ask him when he's getting a Commodore, he says he never would, 'have you seen the people who screw them together' is his reply.

Im not saying my perception is right, but my experiences living in Elizabeth have led me to believe that many just dont even consider Ford.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #71
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
Yup, the Opel Barina was a much better product than the Kia Festiva. As for anything else in the range at the time, are you sure? IMO in the AU-VT era the discrepancy between Ford and Holden was largest. Holden's local product hasn't been particularly great since 1988.
All a matter of opinion I guess. As bad as the VN was the EA was worse, particularly in 3 speed centerpoint format. The buick V6 imho got better and better, was virtually indestructible in its final format VY. The I6 continued to suffer chronic headgasket problems throughout the E series. The AU was a solid car but even the most ardent ford fan would surely conceed it suffered majorly in the looks department when compared to VT. Thats just Falc/comm tho that doesnt account for whole range
Old 29-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #72
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All a matter of opinion I guess. As bad as the VN was the EA was worse, particularly in 3 speed centerpoint format. The buick V6 imho got better and better, was virtually indestructible in its final format VY. The I6 continued to suffer chronic headgasket problems throughout the E series. The AU was a solid car but even the most ardent ford fan would surely conceed it suffered majorly in the looks department when compared to VT. Thats just Falc/comm tho that doesnt account for whole range
I personally thought the VT looked like a pregnate VS when it came out. the only thing i didnt like about the AU lookwise was the series 1 forte grille
Old 29-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #73
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider
I personally thought the VT looked like a pregnate VS when it came out. the only thing i didnt like about the AU lookwise was the series 1 forte grille
If only the general public shared your thoughts
Falcon has struggled to recover sales wise ever since
Old 29-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #74
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I too kind of wonder at the point of this thread...

"Why do people keep buying VE's?????", almost seems like a whinge that not everyone sees the motoring world with one eye stuck firmly on a badge, and a badge alone, refusing to consider any other model or make in the slightest, and wondering what is wrong with all those mental deficients out there who don't think the same way as a "pure" one eyed Ford lover.

If you go to a variety of dealerships with an open mind and test drive all sorts of medium to large cars, you will honestly be surprised at how good they all are...some are better in some areas than others, some have pluses and minuses about them, but none are truly "bad" cars.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #75
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If only the general public shared your thoughts
Falcon has struggled to recover sales wise ever since
wasnt all that bad. the AU utes were very popular as was the BA ute. I blame the declining large car segement for lack of sales. there was acutally times post AU where the falcon has outsold the commodore for the month. same can acutally be said about the commodore. no commodore after VT has yet outsold it and is selling less and less every year. the large car people seem too prefer SUVs nowdays or have downsized too smaller cars
Old 29-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #76
Trav199
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

better advertised... so man dam holden adds on tv

P.B 10.97@129.6MPH

CPV TUNING
Trav199 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #77
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTENVY
And I bet they still wouldnt buy one.
Unfortunately not.

These people being on over $100K per yr whats a vehicle with 'Status' (as they call it). So BMW and Merc's for them.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #78
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I too kind of wonder at the point of this thread...

"Why do people keep buying VE's?????", almost seems like a whinge that not everyone sees the motoring world with one eye stuck firmly on a badge, and a badge alone, refusing to consider any other model or make in the slightest, and wondering what is wrong with all those mental deficients out there who don't think the same way as a "pure" one eyed Ford lover.

If you go to a variety of dealerships with an open mind and test drive all sorts of medium to large cars, you will honestly be surprised at how good they all are...some are better in some areas than others, some have pluses and minuses about them, but none are truly "bad" cars.
There are many examples of fine medium/large cars on the market all of which are obliterated in the sales race by the VE commodore. A car for the most part that has recieved minimal changes in 6 years. I think the Accord Euro is a nice drive, Mazda 6 nice drive, as is Aurion and of course Falcon. I think the question is valid
Old 29-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #79
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #80
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'Day again,
Just a small point - station wagons. We would have bought an FG XR8 a lot earlier, had it been available in 'sports wagon' mode.
Three years ago, suddenly having a baby, we looked at wagons and were told by the local Ford dealership that 'most people want a Territory', and we could only get an XT BF III, as they were 'for reps'.
Test drove an SS wagon, which had some power/torque, but we ended up grabbing a 7 year old BMW 530i wagon, and still have it (275,000kms).

Would a Ford V8 or Turbo 'Sportswagon' do any good in the market?.
I don't know, but we would have bought one.

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #81
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Very clever mate, but any thread is only as good as its contributors.

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #82
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It honestly bugs me why people are putting ***** on Australian made cars at the end of the day we should all be grateful that Australian made cars such as the commodore and falcon still exist . In 10 years time the only thing you'll be able to buy is a POS imported hatchback. Whether it be Holden or ford i'd much rather see people buy an Australian made car and support Australian the economy and jobs over a non Australian great wall ute.
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #83
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

It's funny reading these stories, I actually bought an AU only after my first car (Holden) blew up on the highway

That Fairmont Ghia changed the way I viewed Ford forever
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #84
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my own view is holden has had much better advertising campaigns, not that all the ford ones where bad , but holden advertising over the years some of it has been really exceptional, and kudos to holden for that, the go better slogan, the football meat pies kangaroos and holden cars adds, they have milked the the ozzie car thing for all it`s worth, where as ford Australia seems almost conservative in their adds for the most part.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #85
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
my own view is holden has had much better advertising campaigns, not that all the ford ones where bad , but holden advertising over the years some of it has been really exceptional, and kudos to holden for that, the go better slogan, the football meat pies kangaroos and holden cars adds, they have milked the the ozzie car thing for all it`s worth, where as ford Australia seems almost conservative in their adds for the most part.
If you saw the recent Volt ads, you could be forgiven for thinking that not only were Volts built here, but Holden designed them all by itself!

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 01:24 AM   #86
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would not surprise me In Focus, their marketing style is aggressive.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 02:21 AM   #87
STINKY NINJA
Banned

The same reason why there is always so many more holden fans at the drags/burnout comps.
Because more people like holdens than fords
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 02:23 AM   #88
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
If you saw the recent Volt ads, you could be forgiven for thinking that not only were Volts built here, but Holden designed them all by itself!
At least they could have changed the name of the car instead of just the chevrolet badge,so imaginative of holden.
Knowing holden drivers they will rebadge it as a chevy volt and rightly so.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #89
RAPID_BA
Banned

People buy the better looking car. The ve is a nicer looking car than the fg. The only fg that looks better than a ve is the g6et. However I think the fg is the better car model for model but just doesn't look as good.

It's a repeat of the VT and au 6 cylinders, the au on merit was a great car but the vt looked heaps better and sold like hot cakes.

Ford only ever stepped ahead in the sales race when their cars looked better (BA, EF, EL). People don't care which car is actually better.

Just like in the social scene, you would take home an airhead hotty over a short stumpy buck teeth muppet who is a doctor.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #90
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Why do people care if others buy a VE?
What makes people so upset to see someone buy a VE?
The same question can be applied to any car, why do people buy any of the cars they do?
Why do members here by FG Falcons?

Usually the simple answer is because they want to, it is the car they want, it suits their needs and ticks the right boxes for them. Good enough reason for me.
There is no wrong in doing that. Many here may think it is the wrong decision but it works both ways.
Not everyone has the same preference in cars (thankfully).