Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #601
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Whats stopping people from buying the Falcon?

VW 060606..no $12k..thats a 75% loss in 4 years. On a Focus Titanium...
MelsGolf..too many hassles selling privately...cann'ted be bothered with tyre kickers and strangers casing my place...
Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #602
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic
mate we just are posting opinions here, I apologise that mines doesn't match yours lol
i think you missed the point. i'm saying 'choice' is why people aren't buying falcons.

its just that some of the members on here who chose a different car can't help but say its because the falcon is rubbish. the fact is, you can't make a car that appeals to all. its impossible. too many people want everything for nothing. if the falcon doesn't appeal to you, thats fine, but it appeals to others still, and is still a very good car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
$12k..thats a 75% loss in 4 years
what were you expecting?? that is not something unique to ford or falcon. if you think it is, then you are sadly mistaken. no dealer will give you decent coin for a trade in, esp only on a $25k car. if you were looking at a $40k car, they may have offered you more. normally with trade ins, it is the change over price that matters. if you can't be bothered selling it privately to get that extra couple of thousand, thats your choice.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #603
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
MelsGolf..too many hassles selling privately...cann'ted be bothered with tyre kickers and strangers casing my place...
They're still fetching around $17K to $20K in the market so sell it for what you believe it's worth.

It's real hard dealing with the great unwashed, totally oblivious as to your anger towards them when
they offer you dirt or worse wasting your time, hang in there mate, you'll get your money..
Old 05-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #604
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

Quote:
Yeah doesnt surprise me, 13-15k depending on condition and kms is about the right money for trade. I know what you mean though, its a fair kick in the guts.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #605
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_060606
Yeah doesnt surprise me, 13-15k depending on condition and kms is about the right money for trade. I know what you mean though, its a fair kick in the guts.
It sure is a kick in the guts. No different than me buying an LCD TV 3 years ago for $5000. Now I can get a better one with 3D for $1500. How much will I get for mine? Nothing.

Buying new cars is ok if they are used. What I mean by that is keeping it for 10 years at least. I don't get how people think it's normal to upgrade every 3 years or so? Maybe if you are leasing, and hence never actually OWNING the vehicle, but other than that, I don't know how people can do it. Unless they are in the business of burning their money.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #606
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty
It sure is a kick in the guts. No different than me buying an LCD TV 3 years ago for $5000. Now I can get a better one with 3D for $1500. How much will I get for mine? Nothing.

Buying new cars is ok if they are used. What I mean by that is keeping it for 10 years at least. I don't get how people think it's normal to upgrade every 3 years or so? Maybe if you are leasing, and hence never actually OWNING the vehicle, but other than that, I don't know how people can do it. Unless they are in the business of burning their money.
Im the opposite, I hate buying used cars, I like to buy new, Case in point, my current XR6 is a bucket and i bought it used in november last year.

You dont always lose money, I Bought my Polo GTI brand new in Nov 2006 for $26,000 and traded it with 95,000kms on the clock for $14,500 in June 2010. Now I still lost money, almost half, but it hadnt really cost me much to maintain over the years i had it, so i think over almost a 4 year period it hasnt lost too much. It was traded in on a new Fiesta Zetec which I Paid $19,500 for but i ended up selling that after 4 months with 4,000kms on it, for $19,500, getting my money back. I wish i had kept the GTI now though...
Old 06-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #607
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Can someone close this thread, its genuinely stupid. People ARE buying Falcons, the Falcon is usually a top 10 seller each month FFS! Thats pretty darn good if u ask me.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #608
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

If you cannot afford the depreciation ..... you cannot afford the car. Its a fact of life when buying new and should be taken into consideration when buying new. If after 2-5 years you get a shock with the devaluation .... why the hell did was it bought in the first place without doing the homework first! Looking at some second hand euro cars at the moment and the prices for 5 year old cars and the depreciation is massive .............. it isn't a FORD thing and should not be the reason they are buying something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd
Can someone close this thread, its genuinely stupid.
No ...... don't read it if you are not interested in it.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #609
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can someone close this thread, its genuinely stupid. People ARE buying Falcons, the Falcon is usually a top 10 seller each month FFS! Thats pretty darn good if u ask me.
Really ? 7 out of every 10 Falcons are fleet sales and Falcon sales are slipping very month.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #610
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Whats stopping people from buying a Falcon ? the trade in I was offered on my BF MK 2 GHIA, I rolled out the door laughing!!! same with other dealers. Thats why I haven't upgraded....
Thats what happens when you buy an old model car new.... how many kms has it done?
Old 06-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #611
bad moon rising
Banned

i just hope someone sends a link for this thread to ford, hopefully they can read it and try to improve things to try and please there customers a bit more
Old 06-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #612
whiteelfalcon

IMO Falcon was best purchase I could have made.

Recently purchased two vehicles Falcon (new) and Focus with 15,000km.
LPG Falcon brand new $28K, focus diesel $25K.

Overpriced - you have to be kidding.
Looked at all the small to medium cars new.
Lancer/rav4/suzuki swifts &pretend 4wd thingy $23k-~36k $25-27k hyundai wagons etc.

Falcon fuel $52-$56/week and servicing significantly cheaper.
I am way ahead.
Comfortable seats, stereo, interior. Only thing that truly lets it down are the *horrendous* factory rims.

The difference in yearly fuel costs alone pay for the car payments.
The focus as soon as I can get rid of it it will be out the door. The servicing costs are a killer.

If there had been a turbo lpg Falcon I would have immediately purchased it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
given what you are buying, a falcadore is way over priced, imo.

we are speculating what will happen to ford aus, but what will happen to FPV? they are a Falcon company. they don't seem to be doing any hot hatches or other improved fords.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #613
whiteelfalcon

Go to the bank first get the funds cleared for purchase then go in there and hound the hell out of the sales people at every car yard. Take cards.

You have the funds ready to go. They come to the party or you walk away and come back the following week and speak to a different sales guy.
Went to maybe 20 yards. 5 or 6 of them numerous times over a couple of months.

The second last car yard. The salesman did not come out to greet us. I had been in there the weekend before and got them down to $21k for a hyundai and then walked away as they would not sort out the crusie control/tow pack I wanted.

Then walked next door and talked for a couple of hours and purchased the Falcon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad moon rising
^^^ i thinks its true.
but if people could get a brand new fg xt for say $25k xr6/g6 for $30k xr6t for $35k they would sell a hell of a lot more cars.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #614
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy
Really ? 7 out of every 10 Falcons are fleet sales and Falcon sales are slipping very month.
Not only that, as pointed out in the original post, the Ford Falcon overall dropped to 9th place in 2011. With it's key competitor the Holden Commodore remaining in second place for 2011.

It's an extremely relevant topic, and should be openly discussed.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #615
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

minor flaws (aside like any other) the falcon is a good car, you can`t compare a crappy commuter wheel barrow or a dedicated sports car to an all purpose family sedan that can do a bit of everything and do it well.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #616
weairy
Piston Broke

I only just bought my XR6 in December. Probably the wrong time, with the FGII imminent (hell, I could buy a 2010 model with 20k on the clock for the same money now). But at the time I paid $25k for a August 09 model with 35,000km on it, with tech pack, new boots, new screen and fresh tint, from a dealer. With the $38k price tag on a new XR6, it was the viable option (I'm a P Plater and only earning my $600ish a week).

My old man was looking at a G6ET recently, but went for a 200 Series Landcruiser instead. Practibility > Comfort with 4 kids and an assortment of trailers, boats and race cars.

As for the downsizing argument, I can see why some people are moving towards more compact 4s. Cheaper to run than an XR6 (hell, the V8 twin turbo diesel Landcruiser is almost more efficient) and almost as practical; although my god you can't beat the FG bootspace. I keep my swag and a camp chair in the boot permanently because the damn thing is gigantic. And I'd love to see you tow a 20ft fishing boat behind a Mazda 3
Old 06-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #617
weairy
Piston Broke

For interests sake; I'm getting 10.3lt/100km from my XR6 and do approx. 500km a week. Equates to about $85 a week in fuel (BP 98)

Mum has a 2007 model Corolla which runs about 400km a week, and she fills it up about once a fortnight tops, for next to nothing (the thing will go to Melbourne and back on a thimble).

The 200 Series is rolling at about 9.8lt/100km. It's a 2700kg truck with better efficiency.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #618
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I wonder, Falcon XR6 gives 9.9 l/100 km while I-6 RWD Territory gets 10.6 l/100 km....that's pretty close...

Hmmm, I recon XT Ecoboost 8" screen out there at $34,990.... really put it to Holden International..
Old 07-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #619
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Post Re: Whats stopping people from buying the Falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weairy
For interests sake; I'm getting 10.3lt/100km from my XR6 and do approx. 500km a week. Equates to about $85 a week in fuel (BP 98)

Mum has a 2007 model Corolla which runs about 400km a week, and she fills it up about once a fortnight tops, for next to nothing (the thing will go to Melbourne and back on a thimble).

The 200 Series is rolling at about 9.8lt/100km. It's a 2700kg truck with better efficiency.
I'm getting 10.5 in my XR5T :
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 07-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #620
brett7777
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon it's mainly because of the body shape.
It looks a lot more like a Japanese or Euro car now. That will be quite attractive to some people, but not everyone.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #621
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by weairy

how does the economy go in the city with the cruiser?
Old 07-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #622
XWGT