Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2005, 10:48 PM   #31
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
They wouldn't get any work done. Usually, it takes them almost till morning tea break to figure out what they are doing, then when they come back from the smoko they have to figure out what they were up to, which takes almost until lunch............
not wrong, its well after lunch before I see 6 of them leaning on a shovel each while one guy is checking to see how deep the hole they need to fill is.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2005, 10:56 PM   #32
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
not wrong, its well after lunch before I see 6 of them leaning on a shovel each while one guy is checking to see how deep the hole they need to fill is.
lol. What about the dudes that hold the lollipop sign. :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2005, 12:16 AM   #33
Kryton

had to laugh today. coming home at 4.45pm and they have various sections of the 2 lane road that goes through town all ripped up. that side of the road was blocked off and upon driving down further, there was about 5 other sections from where they were, ripped up about 2 inches deep and about 6 meters long. it had to be done BEFORE they could go home.
ive NEVER seen council workers move so damn fast.
there was like 8 people fixing a section at a time just to get it done.
think they might have bitten off more than they could handle in one day.
drove by before and its all finished too!
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2005, 01:18 AM   #34
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
I know this topic has been bought up previously but never to this extent (I beleive)

I was driving down thompsons rd (between dandenong hastings and frankston dandenong) which I admit is clearly posted as 40Km zone due to construction work. However I was driving 5.30 pm Saturday afternoon (obviously no construction taking place) and was flashed several times by cars coming the other way so I obeyed the speed limit and sat on 40Km and up ahead was a police car parked in with other cars with two officers frantically trying to write tickets. As I approached it was funny to see an officer notice me, and run around the police cruiser to grab the radar gun and radar me (I have never seen an officer move so fast, he probably broke the speed limit himself) Now thankfully I was doing 40 so I didn't get pulled over. I did however feel sorry for all the other drivers who had been pulled over especially considering they could have been pulled over for doing no more than 43Km. With the amount of cars they had pulled over I would suggest they would have had almost 100% success rate at booking every driver travelling along that road (for those who don't know its a straight road speed limit is usually 90Km)

Now I am all for slowing down when contruction workers are in danger, however when work obviously isnt taking place why is everyone forced to do 40Km and why would any self respecting police office take advantage of the situation? Any officers on the forum please feel free to tell me as I was appalled and beleive its only going to lead to an us vs them mentality and no one is going to win expect the state government (extra revenue)

If anyone has an opinion different from mine then please share it as I can't see any logic to it and its certainly doing nothing for the road toll.
The police do not write the laws, they just enforce them. It's a small distinction but an important one.
If you want the law changed that is a political decision, and what is right or wrong will depend on the elected government of the day.
Not to get polictical but we are not living in a dictatorship, this government was elected by a majority and looks to get up again. If the majority want the status quo we have to grin and bear it. You can always lobby you local member, write to Bracksy or start your own party!

I worked in road construction in the UK for a few years. If a road closure was left on with no one working in it the police would take it off and come looking for the people responsible. We had to stagger our breaks so there was always someone working.

I was bought up in Bonbeach (really close to Thompsons Rd), this road has needed widening work for 20 years. I guess the speed restriction is in place all the time because they deem it necessary. It is dangerous driving through road works, manned or not.

I got a ticket 2 weeks ago 58km's in a 50km zone, $128 and one point. I have always been a careful driver, but I'm just that little bit more careful now.

I hate it when they are right. :
Old 12-05-2005, 08:41 AM   #35
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
The police do not write the laws, they just enforce them. It's a small distinction but an important one.
True but they decide which to enforce!
Quote:
If you want the law changed that is a political decision, and what is right or wrong will depend on the elected government of the day.
Not to get polictical but we are not living in a dictatorship, this government was elected by a majority and looks to get up again. If the majority want the status quo we have to grin and bear it. You can always lobby you local member, write to Bracksy or start your own party!
Yeah I can see this happening, how about we have a better government, nt necessarily an new one?
Quote:
I worked in road construction in the UK for a few years. If a road closure was left on with no one working in it the police would take it off and come looking for the people responsible. We had to stagger our breaks so there was always someone working.
Unfortunally this id not the case here. Majority of the time the minimised speed not 'practical' as there is no work being done. It would not be difficult to have a 70 or 80 on Thompsons Road when there is no road work.
Quote:
I was bought up in Bonbeach (really close to Thompsons Rd), this road has needed widening work for 20 years.
Same, it has been a long time coming and the only two reasons are the new estate in Skye and the new bypass.
Quote:
I guess the speed restriction is in place all the time because they deem it necessary. It is dangerous driving through road works, manned or not.
Not true, as previously said.
Quote:
I got a ticket 2 weeks ago 58km's in a 50km zone, $128 and one point. I have always been a careful driver, but I'm just that little bit more careful now.

I hate it when they are right. :
Don't start me on the 50 zones
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2005, 02:09 PM   #36
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
So how does this new RBT work, must admit first time I have been breath tested at 40 Kmh an hour without having to stop and pull over and all this from 100m away thats really impressive.

If they where breath testing how come I wasn't tested and how come they pointed a radar at me, or was it some kind of new breathalyser????
1. Its not new. Remember the old "every car is a booze bus" ads? It was around long before then, but, that was when they decided to publicise it.

2. It doesn't matter if you are in a 40 zone or a 140 zone. If you're on a road, you can be breath tested.

3. There was only one police car and two police. Would you prefer that they tested every car and had the traffic blocked up to Cranbourne? It is a matter of if you are going past as they have just finished testing the last vehicle, you get waved in. The actual breath test only requires one of the police. The other is observing to make sure the road is safe for their partner. Whilst watching the road, they may operate a laser, they may not.

I agree with your initial complaint of speed detection in a construction zone when no one is there. I don't agree with your slagging off and the uninformed rubbish you've been spruiking. Further, when I offered you a reasonable and logical explanation to what the police were doing there, you could not reply with any educated or reasonable response, you resorted to silly sarcasm and ridiculous statments that simply make no sense.

As I have said, if you want to whinge, do it properly; TO YOU LOCAL MINISTER OF PARLIMENT. Make those people earn their massive taxpayer funded super. If you are just wanting to have a sook about something that, as I have shown, you know nothing about, what purpose are you serving?
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2005, 08:02 PM   #37
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_Turbs
1. Its not new. Remember the old "every car is a booze bus" ads? It was around long before then, but, that was when they decided to publicise it.

2. It doesn't matter if you are in a 40 zone or a 140 zone. If you're on a road, you can be breath tested.

3. There was only one police car and two police. Would you prefer that they tested every car and had the traffic blocked up to Cranbourne? It is a matter of if you are going past as they have just finished testing the last vehicle, you get waved in. The actual breath test only requires one of the police. The other is observing to make sure the road is safe for their partner. Whilst watching the road, they may operate a laser, they may not.

I agree with your initial complaint of speed detection in a construction zone when no one is there. I don't agree with your slagging off and the uninformed rubbish you've been spruiking. Further, when I offered you a reasonable and logical explanation to what the police were doing there, you could not reply with any educated or reasonable response, you resorted to silly sarcasm and ridiculous statments that simply make no sense.

As I have said, if you want to whinge, do it properly; TO YOU LOCAL MINISTER OF PARLIMENT. Make those people earn their massive taxpayer funded super. If you are just wanting to have a sook about something that, as I have shown, you know nothing about, what purpose are you serving?
Fair enough my initial complaint wasn't so much as a complaint more to the point I was trying to find a different view point then mine (As I have said before wanted to hear from someone who could tell me what the police where hoping to acheive, by taking advantage of a situation and attempting to book motorists for something that does nothing for the road toll.

Couldn't gvie a sh*t about being breathtested facts are they didn't but they did check my speed - your arguement?????

Actually as I said before the police where parked between two cars (one in front one behind) those was no traffic behind me at all and Thompsons Rd heading towards Dandenong Hastings was very queit. There would not have been a traffic build up if I was breathtested - but all this is completely irrelvant to this thread

Don't agree with your comment about spruiking rubbish, everything I have written happened, I was travelling along Thompsons Rd, A police officer did run around his car in an attempt to book me - correct me if I am wrong here but if you are going to run around a car to grab a laser gun to check a motorists speed than that would only be for one reason - correct? If you have offered me a reasonable and logical expalanation to the question I have raised in this thread, then can you please provide and logical explanation to the officer who ran around his car to radar me?

I was sarcastic with my comments in regards to the police being there just for breathtesting (I have no problems with breathtesting) and if they were there simply breathtesting why did they pull a radar/laser gun out instead of a breathalyser? With out going through the thread again I don't beleive I whinged, I asked a question in regards as to what the police hoped to achieve and it appears if others on this forum have the same frustrations. As someone mentioned earlier the police are there to enforce the law. However the police can't enforce all laws and are therefore selective in what laws they enforce (fair enough) But I would like to know as to why they attempted to enforce this law at this time.

Never said I know much about the matter, all I did is present a thruthfull scenario and provide some information to assist interstate members and asked a simple question why is this happening, I think you would agree it doesn't benefit the public and it doesn't benefit the police (there is only one group of people that do benefit and that is the government and that is why it is pointless complaining to them because it makes money) One other question (feel free not to answer it if you choose) but are you in someway connected with the Police Force?

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post