Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-10-2006, 07:40 PM   #31
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

I wish my brother was as lucky as some of you guys with his BA.
Old 14-10-2006, 08:16 PM   #32
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

My BA is over 85,000 k's with no real dramas.....except damn headlights! But if you pop over to the LADA forums site and ask them for an opinion you might be driving home in a NIVA! Bias rules!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2006, 10:29 PM   #33
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

reliability.....look what most of the taxi drivers use falcons and toyotas
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2006, 11:17 PM   #34
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
That was the V-B-C-H-L. A bending in the middle of the car when towing huge weights.
Negative. If you have a look at the recent dunnydoors, VR and newer when on the news and have been in a serious high speed stack, there will generally be two parts. they don't hold together in stacks well at all. hopefully the VE remedies this fault!!

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 02:45 AM   #35
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re Ford or Ho....

Have you considered as a family car a nice preloved Territory. You could do worse than this one -

White TX
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 07:43 AM   #36
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbystang
Negative. If you have a look at the recent dunnydoors, VR and newer when on the news and have been in a serious high speed stack, there will generally be two parts. they don't hold together in stacks well at all. hopefully the VE remedies this fault!!
Someone special too me died in a falcon many years ago, IT split in 2, Hit cars hard enough and they do that. Seen a VT get hit so hard and stay in 1 peace you got it wrong very wrong. My model was the first too not bend the doors like the past and after it's been towing some 1500kg daily for years i can't see one bend in the body from it. What you see on the news isn't a true fact it's a picture. If i see a falcon crushed into a can does that means there weak?
Old 15-10-2006, 05:55 PM   #37
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
You do realise the alloytech is LPG also?
I've seen a couple of reports that there are valve recession problems when the Alloytec is run on gas.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #38
Sapper
Back to the AU

There seems to be a lot of hair splitting going on here. My only comment is that both the BA MkII and the VZ are near the end of the run in terms of chassis so all major problems should've been sorted in previous models. The falcon will be cheaper to buy due to the fact that there are trillions of BA XR6's around. The Commodore engine (and gearbox, in case of VZ SV6) are realitively new and unknown where as the falcon engine and box have been through up to 15 years of development (through different variants). That said, there's nothing like a keeping the missus happy.
Old 15-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #39
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
I've seen a couple of reports that there are valve recession problems when the Alloytec is run on gas.
I think your right now you say that. Should be fix now you would hope.
Old 15-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #40
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
I think your right now you say that. Should be fix now you would hope.
VE is bringing a gas option out after they launched the car. I assume the problem will be rectified by than.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 09:10 PM   #41
prydey
Rob

every motoring magazine has given the nod to ford in every comparison until the ve. even then the bf stacks up very well.

i've never driven a holden so i can't really comment. i do own a ba though (its an early one too - dec 02, 1st reg 03) and with 112000km on the clock i am yet to have a problem.

if fuel cost was a concern ford is the only of the two manufacturers to make a dedicated gas car. unfortunately they are only in xt and futura.

as far as resale goes, the xr6 n/a is actually the best out there for ford or holden. even early models are still fetching close to $20k depending on condition and km's.

whichever car you buy i don't think you'll be dissappointed as both are pretty good these days.

keeping the missus happy has many benefits though
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 09:43 PM   #42
nobbystang

Depending on how soon your buying and budget, it might be worth waiting for Toyotas new offering to compare. Looks more promising than Holdens latest effort!!

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 08:11 AM   #43
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You're looking at this from the wrong end.
1 The other half is always right.
2 You have to live with her if you buy the wrong car.
3 She's never wrong.
4 Did I mention the mrs?
:P

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #44
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

I've got a mate who hit a tree at ~160 in a VX. Tree entered the drivers side passenger door and ended up in the front passenger seat. Certainly didn't break in half. He won't drive any car that doesn't have curtain air-bags now. Drives an AU Fairlane now.

I've got another friend with a VT, steering rack failed at 110, careened off the highway and hit three trees. Car was drivable.

My friends VR held up pretty well (albeit on it's roof) with yet ANOTHER tree impact.

So I'm pretty confident in a Commodores ability to not break in half, but I'm not so sure about their tree avoidance abilities. :P

All my friends have made complete recoveries apart from the first, who has a metal hip joint and died twice in hospital.
Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 03:47 PM   #45
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

**** lucky boys.
You would think after the first hit you wouldn't blame the car for going in half that sounds nasty.
Old 16-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #46
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by big JB TRX450r
Gday every1, i know your reading the topic & thinking "what tha?" but i need help from all of you. ill explain, i am buying a near-new family car. My other half has her eye on a 05 XR6 MkII with 14,400km on the clock & we have seen a few holdens that are appealing to. now keep in mind we r not holden nor r we ford lovers. At the end of the day they r all the same to me. Ive driven both brands & different models, they both ride smooth, brake well, have similar features, steer much the same & have the desired room we need. My problem is if i ask someone advice they will either like fords or holdens, now if my other half wants the XR6 thats cool & i actually like the look of them myself but!, the down side is i seem to hear the same thing about "falcons" in general, radiators will block from the bottom regardless of age, heads warping, head gaskets blowing time & time again...& i also hear other storys of owners taking them back to the dealers over little things. If i buy this XR6 is it going to give me an endless migrane, please give me facts based on people who have owned these cars...i dont speed or flog cars, most of the time i have the kiddies with me so im pretty tame behind the wheel....any opinions would b most helpful...cheers

PS. buying a car this tuesday so hit me with some advice
A few things to take into consideration

Whether buying a VZ/BA/BF whatever, you will still be getting warranty until 2008 (if you purchase an 05 model)

It has been said, and yes, its a Ford forum, but I would buy the Falcon for a number of reasons. The VZ although a good car, is very old technology. Based around a 1997 VT with markable improvements. The BA/BF was the result of Ford spending alot of money and have a product that is still just as good as Holdens billion dollar baby. VZ ain't in the ball park. IMO, the Falcon holds better resale as there model are replaced less frequent and rarely have significant changes. My personal car is a BF Typhoon, but I have had many BA XR6's and VZ SV6's as company vehicles (we change ever 15000km) and spending time in the car, the Falcon is a much better ride.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.......
Old 16-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #47
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes_meat
I've got a mate who hit a tree at ~160 in a VX. Tree entered the drivers side passenger door and ended up in the front passenger seat. Certainly didn't break in half. He won't drive any car that doesn't have curtain air-bags now. Drives an AU Fairlane now.

I've got another friend with a VT, steering rack failed at 110, careened off the highway and hit three trees. Car was drivable.

My friends VR held up pretty well (albeit on it's roof) with yet ANOTHER tree impact.

So I'm pretty confident in a Commodores ability to not break in half, but I'm not so sure about their tree avoidance abilities. :P

All my friends have made complete recoveries apart from the first, who has a metal hip joint and died twice in hospital.
All I can say is thank God they are all alright and have made some sort of complete recovery. I hope your first mate still has a reasonable quality of life.

All cars will split in half if they hit hard enough. I can still remember an XB or XC wagon that hit a tree outside Metro Holden on Port road Thebarton after a short hi-speed chase ended after hitting a tree about 5-7 years ago. The car was scattered up to 100 meters up the road and in several bits. I can still remember seeing the steering wheel in the middle of the road with only the column attached and thinking to myself that the bloke running was hanging onto that only seconds before.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 05:26 PM   #48
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

Yeah, he's doing pretty well these days. Barely has a limp now that he's gotten used to his new hip, lots of cool scars though - fist sized scar where his collar bone came out, plenty of scars around his hip - he likes to show them off. Apparently he fell asleep and pressed down the throttle. You simply would not believe the pics of his car considering how well he's doing.
Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #49
big JB TRX450r
Starter Motor

gday guys, well i thank you all so much for the input. i put a similar post on a holden forum & the reason i did this is to get ford lovers /holden lovers to be honest about problem the BA/VZ has/had . Of course i all comes down to the particular car u buy, i know that just because 1 BA or VZ may have problems doesnt mean every single 1 will have those problem but at the end of the day both brands arnt perfect but just to let u all know that late yesterday arvo my other half & i bought my step fathers ex-company car. A shockwave blue 06 BF XR6 with 5,000km on the clock in "as new" condition & because i got it from a family member we saved thousands, i look forward to driving it if my other half gets out of it...cheers every1 & thanx again for all the input
big JB TRX450r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #50
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
gday guys, well i thank you all so much for the input. i put a similar post on a holden forum & the reason i did this is to get ford lovers /holden lovers to be honest about problem the BA/VZ has/had . Of course i all comes down to the particular car u buy, i know that just because 1 BA or VZ may have problems doesnt mean every single 1 will have those problem but at the end of the day both brands arnt perfect but just to let u all know that late yesterday arvo my other half & i bought my step fathers ex-company car. A shockwave blue 06 BF XR6 with 5,000km on the clock in "as new" condition & because i got it from a family member we saved thousands, i look forward to driving it if my other half gets out of it...cheers every1 & thanx again for all the input
Good work, you made the right choice. You'll love driving the thing!
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 08:15 PM   #51
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
good find, basically new!
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #52
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN81
i didnt read any of your post but i say FORD
haha i say the same!! dont even need to ask questions!!