Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-04-2006, 09:57 AM   #31
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

True, true. For example, IF my figures are true, and I fitted zorst and extractors, and say was up to caspers figures... he would still flog my a*** as he has other things that may change the torque curve, and he also has a hi staille....

But this thread isn't about the difference between dyno figures and drag times... I was just informing ppl of my newly achieved dyno figure. Take it or leave it, I'll see you at the next AUFalcon.com dyno day..... (Casper, dates?) lol.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 10:08 AM   #32
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I look at dyno numbers and laugh now.. they really are all over the place. They are also "fake" due to other factors making a bigger difference. Example.

2 cars. Both identical except one has a 3000stall and 3.9 diff, the other has a 2000 stall and 3.23 diff.

In all other aspects they are identical. Same weigth, same tyres, same fuel, same dyno numbers and curve from the same dyno minutes apart.

This case is a prime example of a dyno being useless. The car with the stall and diff is going to flog the other one but a good couple car lengths in reality.. but the dyno cant see it, it only sees them as the same.

(Of course, to be the same power they are actually different but you get the idea)
This is spot on. Don't get carried away by the dyno numbers as they are mostly just good for bragging rights.

As an real world example of what Casper is saying is the difference between Useless and my wagons. both AU auto wagons with cams exhaust and chip mods.
useless runs 3.73 diff and a hi stall converter and a dev4 cam and runs mid 130 rwkw on the dyno. I run the dev3hl cam 3.45 single spinner and stock converter and pull low 140rwkw on the same dyno. On the street useless gets one and a half car lengths jump on me in traffic light drags. On the strip he is running on average not best 15.3 versus my 15.5 and TS around 89mph versus my 90mph. So the dyno and the terminal speeds agree which car has the better power to weight (mine) but the better set up for street strip dev 4 with lower broader power curve and lower diff and hi stall (useless) the dyno can't prove in fact it is quite misleading.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #33
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
True, true. For example, IF my figures are true, and I fitted zorst and extractors, and say was up to caspers figures... he would still flog my a*** as he has other things that may change the torque curve, and he also has a hi staille....

But this thread isn't about the difference between dyno figures and drag times... I was just informing ppl of my newly achieved dyno figure. Take it or leave it, I'll see you at the next AUFalcon.com dyno day..... (Casper, dates?) lol.
The dyno result is just a pretty chart to hang on your wall. Posting up a before and after dyno chart after fitting extractors or some mod would be more interesting.

The car is a stock AU you or the police for that matter have done nothing that would genuinely improve the engine performance by that much at all and it will be Lucky to run 16 seconds over the quarter and pull 105 rwkw on a fair dyno.

It's obviously a good strong engine but nothing special sorry.
Old 23-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #34
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Well at a final figure of 131 rwkws I ran a 15.1 1/4 mile and on the same dyno JonBays with 144 rwkws . Both AU wagons and both automatics.Same day I did my 15.1 he ran a 15.4.The stallie multiplies torque until it locks up.With a 3000 stall converter the thing doesnt even seem to lock fully at 3000 but fattens my power curve down low. The stallie lost me 2-3 rwkws overall as well. Still the freudian thoughts fill my mind and I just want mine to be bigger!! I want a bigger power figure !!I confess!!
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #35
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Every car is special to their owner in some sort of way...

Like I said, I would love to compare my dyno run to another AU on the same dyno.

Agreed that dyno results and real world runs are two different things.

I would also like to see the difference (dyno) of fitting extractors and exhaust...

But, like I said before, this thread isn't for pointing out how dynos are different, blah blah blah....

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 23-04-2006, 10:52 AM   #36
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Every car is special to their owner in some sort of way...

Like I said, I would love to compare my dyno run to another AU on the same dyno.

Agreed that dyno results and real world runs are two different things.

I would also like to see the difference (dyno) of fitting extractors and exhaust...

But, like I said before, this thread isn't for pointing out how dynos are different, blah blah blah....
What was the thread about then? How much power a stock AU has? We all know that so we may as well make it useful put some real info up.

Before and after extractors dyno I have posted up here http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...cat=500&page=1

its not a great dyno graph but you learn where to go for a dyno with experience after running on a few. I like Autotech in granville in Sydney as a fair dyno.
Old 23-04-2006, 11:17 AM   #37
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

I just posted my dyno run. Thats all it was about.

Forget it....

Just delete the thread...

I suppose it doesn't serve any interesting reading or real facts... figures or not...

Last edited by Kia Chaser; 23-04-2006 at 11:28 AM.
Old 23-04-2006, 11:39 AM   #38
EFFalcon
Last warning

let him get to the track, its possible the car could be pulling figures like that, the engine may be a freak.
while not an AU, a mates EL Ghia I6, only mod is a 2.5" cat back exhaust, rest is COMPLETELY STOCK, ran 15.29 at heathcote last night.
was running loads of mid 15 second passes and started to get down to the 15.3/15.2 at the end of the night.

to do these kind of times in an auto EL Ghia would most likely take 120+rwkw and this cars stock, who knows how au3 chasers car will go at the track, the claimed dyno figures may be accurate, but they may not.
no point arguing it!
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 11:43 AM   #39
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Dont you worry mate .Your dyno run is a good one. Its just that most people get good dyno figures then run crap times and get a bit sour when a good car like yours turns up. I like your posts and think your car would go really well in its stock form.The results are bloody good for a stocker.Im running a dev 4 cam full xorst and without the edit I was pulling 125 rwkws.Nows thats embarassing!! I had trouble beating toyota hiluxes!!!

Be happy with the car because I think it is a good one :
Old 23-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #40
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
let him get to the track, its possible the car could be pulling figures like that, the engine may be a freak.
while not an AU, a mates EL Ghia I6, only mod is a 2.5" cat back exhaust, rest is COMPLETELY STOCK, ran 15.29 at heathcote last night.
was running loads of mid 15 second passes and started to get down to the 15.3/15.2 at the end of the night.

to do these kind of times in an auto EL Ghia would most likely take 120+rwkw and this cars stock, who knows how au3 chasers car will go at the track, the claimed dyno figures may be accurate, but they may not.
no point arguing it!
I drink to that!!
Old 23-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #41
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Thanks. I know what ya'll sayin, an' I understand no ones dissin' my times but just pointing out what may not be obvious.

Tossing up weather or not I should put some 'stractors & zorst on, and/or maybe cam, or put the $$$ to my HZ project....

Old 23-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #42
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Do the full exhaust - you will not be disappointed, from both a sound and extra power point of view. At least get a 2.5" cats back first. You can get them from ebay (redback) for less than $400 delivered, and fit it yourself. Takes less than one hour to fit. The cats back will give you the sound, and most of the power increase - extractors just fatten up the torque a bit, and increase power too, but the stock cats back is the biggest restriction on the car.

Then go back to Jake's a get a new dyno figure - I'm guessing it will be somewhere around 136rwkw. So while it may still show a bit higher than expected, it is still showing the right increase (ie about 10% power increase).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 12:26 PM   #43
Stav
Smile

You are putting out the same power as most do with exhaust work.As JC said the exhaust system will give some more decent power.A 10% increase is the norm for this type of mod but dont be surprised if you get more.
Old 23-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #44
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
I just posted my dyno run. Thats all it was about.

Forget it....

Just delete the thread...

I suppose it doesn't serve any interesting reading or real facts... figures or not...
Don't take it so hard. I wasn't trying to be a bastard. I am sorry if I have ИИИИed you off but ex chasers with 136rwkw when lets face it its a stock AU that was once owned by the police.

Just trying to keep it real.
Old 23-04-2006, 02:28 PM   #45
TCK-098

Well the HZ is a great project to work on i know i used to have a HJ premier wagon that was nice to drive and suprised a few when the Quadrajet got a bootful.

Back to topic i thought the police cars got a differant ecu as well differant timing and fuel settings and a 210 speed limiter thats what i read in a official ford workshop manual.

Dynos are crap cause they are misleading and some of the operators out there are tinkering with their dynos to give a higher reading than what the actual reading is "but some of you EXPERTS already know that".
Old 23-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #46
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Hey jonbays. I'll just take it on the chin. :

We'll see what happens with the car, mod wise....

It might be better if my main car doesn't have too much power.... esp. with the new littlie in the back....

Old 23-04-2006, 03:00 PM   #47
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Hey jonbays. I'll just take it on the chin. :

We'll see what happens with the car, mod wise....

It might be better if my main car doesn't have too much power.... esp. with the new littlie in the back....
Not a bad thought.

These days high powered modded cars are pretty unpopular with some high profile road deaths mostly involving turbo ricers but the days of modding street rego cars for street performance are coming to a close.
Old 23-04-2006, 03:03 PM   #48
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Ok, finally some news:

Here is the stats of everyone elses run and some of me and my falcon:

Old 23-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #49
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Whats with the dial in numbers they look more likely but the difference is all over the place?
Old 23-04-2006, 06:09 PM   #50
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Whats with the dial in numbers they look more likely but the difference is all over the place?
I cannot fig the dail in no's either. Plus a VL Calias turbo running 69.6 rwk WTH.
As JC said do the exhaust when able to get it done then go back to the same place & get a dyno to see the increase in rwkw also not a bad idea is to do a run down the strip if thats what you want to test how fast. Then do it with the exhaust system to see if there is much of a performance increase.
At least your A/F ratios are a lot better than my readout
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #51
2kool4u

Location: I live in my own little world, but it's alright, the people know me here

what does the dial-in mean??
2kool4u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 07:18 PM   #52
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I'd say dial in is the persons guess as to what they would get.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #53
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Yeah, the dial in is the guess. Closest number to their figure got a prize.

Old 23-04-2006, 08:30 PM   #54
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

The guesses are better than the dyno
Old 04-06-2006, 10:55 AM   #55
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think this Dyno run was held at Jakes. I ran my car completely stock at Jakes for the first time at got 127.6. Jakes dyno is famous for reading the figures high.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 02:05 PM   #56
GK
Walking with God

This has been a most interesting reread.

It's frustrating that some dynos are overgenerous because all it really leads to is mine is bigger than yours type discussion. I thought I had dispensed with such talk when I stopped playing competitive footy! LOL!

BTW, are the dynos deliberately calibrated to lie, um err, stretch the truth, um err, stoke the owner's ego!! LOL! If not, why the big discrepancy!

In any case, get the car to the strip, she don't lie!

All the best with it, enjoy the car, she is yours, GD, Chaser or whatever!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 02:55 PM   #57
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had a dyno in canberra that gave a stick I6 torque readings of around 850nm. I think thats quite high :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 10:34 PM   #58
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

850 is about right. It's the torque at the motor, multiplied by the final drive ratio (diff gear ratio X gearbox ratio). Autos are always higher than manuals, but then their power figures are also lower.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 04-06-2006, 10:38 PM   #59
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Thats why you could only get the 2300kg tow kit for an auto only...

Old 05-06-2006, 02:00 AM   #60
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Thats why you could only get the 2300kg tow kit for an auto only...
That, and the clutch won't handle more than 1200kg. I blew a clutch in my first AU XR8 towing a 1600kg boat to the coast and back every 4 weeks or so. After 10 trips it called it quits coming through Qbn. Mind you, I drove it as if it didn't have a boat on the back so that may have had something to do with it. But now with an auto, I drive the same, and the auto hasn't busted (yet). Sorry for the O/T stuff!