Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-10-2005, 08:14 AM   #31
NIGHTHAWK
starter motor

Cool

If you had told me ten years ago that i would be married and have kids i would have said you were dreaming. And where have they gone?.
NIGHTHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 08:23 AM   #32
red_october
Go on, be a monkey....

1. The huge increase in terrorist threats.
2. Loss of Aussie lives because of it in Bali.
3. Price of fuel.
4. Didn't imagine I'd get a job that I enjoy, now I have one and salary's gone up 300% in the last 6 yrs.
5. Finally got meself a real car - a Ford :-)
red_october is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 09:45 AM   #33
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Buying my first car outright at age 17.
My first car being a decent one. (94 Monty Ghia)
The abilities of MSN to get you back in touch with friends you haven't seen or spoken too in ages...
Girls and their mood swings, mind changes, outbursts, mixed messages... etc... lol.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 10:01 AM   #34
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1. My little cousin passing away
2. a week later lossing my friend in a car accident
3. my dressage horse having to be put down on the same day as my friend died
4. passing yr 12 with an 84 ENTER after all this happened to me the week before exams
5. Buying my first car, the xb
6. Going state level dressage on a 4yr buckskin horse that wouldn't stop bucking or biting
7. Seeing my big sister get married
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 03:27 PM   #35
HOON69
Banned

past ten years
hmmmm cant beleive how quickly its going
cant believe im still in the one relationship still
and yeah times flying.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 03:41 PM   #36
gozza

being alive
the more up to date and open the world apparently becomes..the more stuff gets stuffed under the rug
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 03:46 PM   #37
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

10 Years ago,
I was conecting to the net with 1 14.4K modem and Newsgroups were worth reading
My mobile phone was a motorola digital flip with a credit card size SIM
Digital cameras were black and white and stored images on floppy disk
Who remembers what they were doing when they heard the news that Princess Diana had been killed?
XA and XB Coupes could be had for $2000.00 (in one piece without tinworms)
Regards,
Tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 04:08 PM   #38
gozza

refering to diana
i rememeber i was 10-12...mum was doing the ironing...i was sitting on the floor most likely cutting toe nails and then there was a shock report and mum started crying
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #39
Marlin_Girl
I wish I was a Pursuit...

Wow 10 years ago... Well i'm only 19... Ha but yeah i remember the price of lollies. The famous $1 lolly bag at the local tuck shop was SO HUGE you'd stuff yourself trying to eat them all... now you'd pay at least $10 for one like that!

My parents paid $17,000 for the block of land we live on in 1990. Now, with the house it's worth around $1 million! crazy...

But those are monetary things. Things like 9/11 and Bali Bombings were things you saw on movies back then- well to me anyway. Maybe because i was little and i didn't see the real news. I wasn't prepared to watch something horrifying like that on the news because it was real! It still felt surreal to me.

Getting a 96 falcon with mags and a spoiler as my first car lol. Always thought i'd have a bomb first time around. But what a good car... it converted one of my mates from Holden to Ford :

Paying my 4 year loan on my ute off in 10 months without even realising!

Getting a job! Instead of going to Uni. : Dux of my school and didn't go to Uni- what is going on there?!!!

Owning a ute! Always a dream but never expected to. Owning a black ute more to the point!!

Falling for someone... in a different town! And its better than ever after 8 months!

My best friend at 19 yrs having a BABY!! omg

pics of my ute HERE
Marlin_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 05:17 PM   #40
gtfpv
GT

reading this thread saddens me i think back to when i was a boy . we used to talk about ANZAC and the world wars . LEST WE FORGET . "never again". Now here we are with war and terrorism on a mass scale in the name of GOD. and the media a politicians rule the world . where we civilians have no say or rights without fear.
my dad worked . we had one car . no mortgage . dad knocked back all weekend work . and ot. mum stayed home , so did all the other mums in the street. people had 3 to 6 kids. we went on holidays often . or house was ordinary , but so was everybodies.
nowadays we have about 2 children . big morgtages 2 cars big houses both parents work . one parent probaly works 2 jobs making 3 jobs per family . just to pay bills . all our childrens rights and education come at a massive cost . you dont let your children play out the front. and they only play with one or 2 niehbours. young people have no rights are forced to take casual positions to pay for education so they can get a casual job or take a massive loan to start a business to work 7 days a week to pay for it . forcing them to live with mum and dad untill 30. but they know no differant so they believe they are living well. we pay tax ,tolls ,insurances, rates, electricity, petrol ,tv, mobile, phones, internet, education ,registrations, mortgages rents, clothes, liesure , holidays,funiture. and see poverty and death through war.natural disasters every few months. all to see it getting worse daily .lawyers win at our expense if problems arise . years go by trying to sort legal problems .churches tell us to change our lives . at the same time tell us to pay them 10% of our gross earnings + give adedicated amount yearly to them on top . then threaten hell if you dont pay them.charities take our money yet people still starve.witnesses dont get involved in peoples missfortune. through fear of retrobution.police get sued. i better stop i can keep going .i will just put one more in . people live in debt till they retire and superannuation retirement ages and goalpostes keep being moved . and the people accept it all. i have to have another beer now to settle my nerves.
must add some more . on a brighter note my wife and i have 2 children , which makes life feel great, we built a very nice home bought a brand new elxr8 1997 . and a brand new gt 2005. and have always had good employment with weel paid jobs .just need to spend more time for liesure .

Last edited by gtfpv; 17-10-2005 at 05:35 PM.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 08:36 PM   #41
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Waverley Park being torn down.....no way.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 09:09 PM   #42
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valknutr
ummm im only 20 so yeah sill got a fair few more things to experience but so far:
losing 2 mates in 3 years ( suicide and drowning)
my beautiful fiancee leaving FOR NO KNOWN REASON
actually being able to buy a car....
and my sister actually being nice to me
huh???? umm am i mistaken or is there a very sad thread about you?? sorry im lost......

umm last 10 years.

honnest the biggest thing was 911, it changed the way the world went about business and has had an effect in some way shape or form in the way we live our lives today.

umm went to cairns didnt like it came back home now im settled, umm grown up alot but in a way still young and stupid lol

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #43
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
Who remembers what they were doing when they heard the news that Princess Diana had been killed?
I was watching Rage, my parents were asleep, and they had a newsflash come on the screen that she had been seriously injured.

But the time my mum got up they reported in a bulletin that she was dead.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 11:19 PM   #44
maglite

Im 37.
Im working longer than i was 10 years ago....not necessarily harder.
Computers were supposed to introduce the "paperless" office and our leisure time was going to spread to 4 days a week.
Playstations.
The net is great, i remember that to get a catologue of spares for the XP would take 6 weeks...now it happens overnight.
I got used to driving old cars....now i can afford a new one, i cant justify the price.
Terrorism....here to stay...we took it too easy on em 10 years ago, we took our eyes off the ball.
I can fly interstate for as little as $199......it used to cost nearly $1200 to fly Perth - Brisbane via Melb.
Digital Cameras.....great.
The ability to nearly own a house, but also the ability to borrow against the equity.
I needed $12500 deposit for my first house......it only cost $42000 to buy out right....go figure.
I never thought i would say it.......but i consider myself very lucky.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 11:36 PM   #45
Drive XR7
American Muscle

9/11 and the terrible foreign policy of the US government (and I can say that because I'm living here). If I could change anything, it'd be to never vote for Bush the first time to bring upon this economic turndown of the past 6 or 7 years. When Clinton was in office in the mid 90s, fuel prices were cheap ($1.35USD for a gallon of 92 octane), people got along, and there wasn't the crap that we have to put up with today.

It sucks that the Australian government has followed in the steps of the US with the anti-terrorism laws that have stripped away our rights.
Drive XR7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 12:37 AM   #46
Firefox7
T3 Terrorist

All I can say is....i'm very very lucky....

I am now 32 but got married to the girl of my dreams at age 22...had our first house built at age 23...had our first bubby at age 25....going for my forth at age 32...I would say the lasty ten years of my life has been a dream....or stroke of continuing luck. Between the age of 17 to 21 was a very lonely time whereas friends that i thought were friends...were simply not....I wiped them all....i then met my wife at work....and the whole world changed for the better....not only did i find the perfect partner, and we were married 7 months later after meeting...but she introduced me to a person that became my best mate.....which is Sbutler and his family. I am a successful business man, and have the perfect life of luxuary in all area's.

Cheers.
Fastest Lap time At wakefield park on Dunlop Sp9000's : 1:14:30, Came 2nd in outright driver, in the overall V8 result, 2006 N.S.W dutton rally :1syellow1

:king: T3 :king: The Mightiest & Deadliest Tickford Ever To Hit The Road........
Firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 09:41 AM   #47
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Over the last 10 years, I think the thing I remember most is just how quickly the internet, computers and mobile phones evolved (for all the right and wrong reasons).

More recent history:
I remember what an awesome vibe Sydney went through starting from 31 Dec 1999, what an awesome year that was, the whole year 2000/millenium thing and the olympic games.

I remember standing on the Sydney foreshore on the first day of 2000 as the fireworks went off and triple M played REM's End of the world song. I remember just how awesome the olympics were, how good the city looked and how friendly everyone was.

The there was 2001, I started work and uni, Dad died and 9/11 happened - so on the whole that wasn't a very good year.

But I really doubt 9/11 has as much significance as we think to world affairs - in the long term, how do you think it will be remembered?

How easy is it to say that the assassination of Franz Ferdinand was the sole cause of WW1? Or that the attack on Pearl Harbour was the sole reason the US and Japan went into WW2 rather than a clash of ideologies and territory? I guess what I'm saying is, sooner or later it was bound to happen, we just remember the triggers to the event.

I think it will be seen as the final trigger, but I think there was always unfinished business in the middle east for the US, although I would also suggest defence and capital expenditure is more of a benefit to the US than those suggesting it was solely for oil.

The unfortunate problem for Iraq these days is that it seems to be attracting fanatics from the surrounding countries.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 10:37 AM   #48
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

10 years ago?? Things were a lot different then!!

- Seeing a brand new EF XR8 and wanting it in my garage.
- Never believing I'd ever be able to buy a house (did it in '97).
- Working shift work, a roster with really bad hours causing me to live like a hermit.
- My group of long term friends drifting off on their own paths. Some I'm still in contact with, some not. Some are still close to me, some turned into people I no longer recognized.
- Believing I'd never meet a partner (recently happened).
- Driving a beautiful XC Fairmont GXL (written off in '97).
- Cursing a lot of bad decisions I'd made to that point.

I now have a much more optimistic outlook than I did then.

- Met GF.
- Have a house but keep falling into the "equity mate" trap!! (GF not happy with my financial management).
- Got involved with a car club and loving it!! Ford Coupe Club of Australia (Shameless plug!!)
- Earning much better money, still on shift but much better hours.
- Much closer to my family.
- Believe the world is a much more dangerous place than ever.
- Wanting a BA GT in my garage.
- The internet. Love it.

When Princess Diana was killed I first heard it as a TV news flash in the ammeneties room at work early in the morning. The room fell silent.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 11:07 AM   #49
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi

I look at the prices of products, and shake my head. When I was a kid 10 cents' worth of lollies got the equivalent of what my kids get now for $2.00. I remember my dad whinging about the price of petrol, milk and bread. I remember getting a Mars Bar for 20 cents.
Lol, yeah but those were the days when someone who earned 50k pa was considered "well off"....

9/11 would have to do it for me. Still makes me shut up every time I see the planes hit. I remember the night it happened like it was yesterday, a perfect mental image in my head of what that night was like.

It changed the world - look what we've become as a result of it. I still think we've got it pretty good. We can go about our lives without worrying too much. We can sit in front of the television and about americans/dubya/middle east/petrol prices and not really care because we are so far removed from it. Perhaps more than ever before, Australia is the lucky country.

Ask this question again in 20 or so years - and i'll tell you about how i remember when the world started runnning out of oil.