Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-10-2005, 12:40 AM   #31
Mick K.

There is a recent Top Gear episode available here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81826&q=vw+gti

Worth the 11mins to watch, but not for dial up people!

It is comparing Golf GTI, Megane Sport and new Astra turbo. Don't watch if you're an Astra fan!

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 01:44 AM   #32
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
There is a recent Top Gear episode available here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81826&q=vw+gti

Worth the 11mins to watch, but not for dial up people!

It is comparing Golf GTI, Megane Sport and new Astra turbo. Don't watch if you're an Astra fan!

MK
Did that guy know how to drive? If there is torque steer... dont accelerate as hard! And, how did he screw up the Golf at the end? Maybe he just cannot drive....

What was interesting was the VXR beating the R32... WOW

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 08:58 AM   #33
lincoln
Blinded

Why call it an XR5???!!! Dear oh dear, Ford. That's just totally unnecessary... sigh.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 09:08 AM   #34
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
Why call it an XR5???!!! Dear oh dear, Ford. That's just totally unnecessary... sigh.
Would have thought that was obvious.... to provide a link to the successful sports orientated Falcons that will in theory provided some much needed street cred to the little known Focus. Agood idea imo.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 12:47 PM   #35
lincoln
Blinded

Yes, it is bleedingly obvious, I just think it's stupid. They'll have to blank out or replace the side skirts, steering wheel embossing and seat emboridery.... all to leverage off the Falcon? I just don't see the point. Go through all of that trouble, and lose your global leveraging of the ST brand... anyway, I guess that means the new Fiesta ST will be an XR4?
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 01:08 PM   #36
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

I also think this is a clever marketing move on Ford's part. I personally would have been very happy if they had stuck with the ST badge, but in Australia the XR badge is synonymous with both Ford and performance and is bound to raise a lot more interest.

If you believe some motoring journos, much of the reason that the LR Focus did not sell well in Oz, was it's name. They suggest that had it been badged as a Laser, then the little Ford would have sold in much larger volumes. Who knows?

About the "Stig" not being able to drive. I have watched countless episodes of Top Gear and can tell you that he most certainly does know how to drive. You have to remember that he is driving these cars on the absolute limit and is bound to make the odd mistake. Jeremy Clarkson is no mug behind the wheel either and if he says that the Astra is hard to handle, then it most certainly is.

I'd suggest that Vauxhall 's approach in the U.K is similar to that of Holden in Australia - Produce cars that give slightly better acceleration figures than the direct competitors and forget about important things like dynamics and ride quality :evil_laug .
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 11:48 AM   #37
FOCUSCC
Starter Motor

Drive.com.au website i think it was said price would be under $35k. http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/ar...?id=10494&vf=0
Wonder how much i will able to trade my LX in for???
FOCUSCC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2005, 01:47 PM   #38
XSR

Anyone know whether it's gonna come from Europe or South Africa? I'd suspect Europe for what's a niche model, but if they're really pricing it below $35k, it could well be South Africa.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2005, 02:12 PM   #39
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSR
Anyone know whether it's gonna come from Europe or South Africa? I'd suspect Europe for what's a niche model, but if they're really pricing it below $35k, it could well be South Africa.

ST is being built in Saarlouis, Germany. The factory has had to be modified to build it so would expect that is the only place to be doing it.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2005, 05:58 PM   #40
SteelHand
BA MkII XR6

The article I read last week said that it would be available January 2006 at a price of around $35000.

Check out Ford UK's interactive minisite

http://www.ford.co.uk/ie/foc_c307/-/-/foc_st/-/-/-

The car sounds much better than a WRX. BTW, if anyone knows how to get hold of the Exhaust ringtone in the downloads section, please post it here.

SteelHand.
SteelHand is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2005, 06:17 PM   #41
XSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelHand
The car sounds much better than a WRX. BTW, if anyone knows how to get hold of the Exhaust ringtone in the downloads section, please post it here.
tis the 5 cylinder - there's nothing much out there that sounds like a 5 potter!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2005, 08:59 PM   #42
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Try this...

XR5 Rev

XR5 Music

Will get the rest later tonight.
Old 23-10-2005, 09:19 PM   #43
HLC
Audi S3

alright, ill let them get around for a year or 2 and pick up a nice used example because im poor.
Old 24-10-2005, 12:18 PM   #44
marcosambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Did that guy know how to drive? If there is torque steer... dont accelerate as hard! And, how did he screw up the Golf at the end? Maybe he just cannot drive....

What was interesting was the VXR beating the R32... WOW
Yeah if you watch the video again, he was pushing the VXR at the same limit as the VW and Renault, but it couldnt keep a straight face and was all over the shop, its not a well balanced front end and Vaxuhall still have alot of work to do!

Also its not a R32, its a GTi, big difference there...
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 11:52 AM   #45
carazy
Back with Boost!

I think it looks hot, and on the review on Topgear Jeremy loved it.

If I'm in a position to get some new cars soon it will be a territory for the wife and an Xr5 for me I think.
carazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 03:40 PM   #46
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Im fairly sure a 2.5L 5cyl turbo spinning at 6100rpm will use its fair share of 98ron, lol.

Awesome to see they're releasing it tho. Serious piece of kit!
Yeah I dont think it would mind a drink.
AnthonyQLD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #47
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

If someone decides to race one (say in GT Performance), correctly tuned with a good E.C.U. and the allowable mod's it should be a weapon!
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:43 AM   #48
used

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
What haven't you seen the pic's of a Focus in New Zealand with a Typhoon engine in it and converted to rear wheel drive?
any photo ???
used is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:49 AM   #49
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Spoke to a friend yesterday these cars are going to be in short supply and will sell quickly dealers have been allocated between 1 to 3 cars each....
Be quick at $36k plus orc.
Strapp Ford have 3 coming....(cant remember when had to many drinks..lol.)

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 01:07 AM   #50
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Be quick at $36k plus orc
Only $36k? That sounds like a bargain...

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 01:19 AM   #51
X ORSMXR
missing the panther

But wait theres more 165kw before after edit it may have over 220 l am scared these are going to be pocket rockets lol..

Should have held off buying that Mazda SP23 and bought this little beast...
X ORSMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 02:27 AM   #52
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSMXR
But wait theres more 165kw before after edit it may have over 220 l am scared these are going to be pocket rockets lol..

Should have held off buying that Mazda SP23 and bought this little beast...
One of the Volvo tuning companies in the UK already has an ECU remap for the ST (XR5), that boosts power from 225 bhp to 260 bhp. Another UK company is offering a performance package that increases engine output to a whopping 300 bhp. It basically only involves an ECU remap, exhaust mods and some turbo mods. So it seems that extra power will be very easy to come by for the XR5.

http://www.archersofashby.co.uk/New%...lf/wolf_st.htm

I don't think I would want to go beyond about 260 bhp though, as I think torque steer would become a real issue and compromise the brilliant handling characteristcs of the car.
Old 31-12-2005, 11:51 AM   #53
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Seeing as supply is extremely limited, what do I do?

This will be my first car, and I will not be buying blind under any circumstances. Is there anyway of getting a test drive of a dealer demo with option to buy (a factory one, no floor stock thanks!).

I doubt testing a Zetec will be quite the same.

Ideas?
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #54
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!
Seeing as supply is extremely limited, what do I do?

This will be my first car, and I will not be buying blind under any circumstances. Is there anyway of getting a test drive of a dealer demo with option to buy (a factory one, no floor stock thanks!).

I doubt testing a Zetec will be quite the same.

Ideas?
There is not a limited run on these cars like there was with the RS, and if you want one, Ford will sell you one. However, Ford is struggling to meet demand and if you don't want a demo or one of the few that will be available off the showroom floor, you will likely have a 3 to 5 month wait on your hands while they build your car.

I would steer clear of Demos - especially for a car such as the XR5 which comes with very high performance expectations - People are going to want to see if the all the hype is true and 'test drive' the car accordingly.

Sure there are good savings to be had, but these cars often get driven to and from work by Ford staff - and they get driven VERY HARD. I wouldn't want a car that has been continually red-lined during the 'running in' period.

Driving a zetec will give you an idea of how good the LS Focus chassis is, and an appreciation of the superb dynamics - but that is all. The XR5 is a very different beast.

You wouldn't really be "buying blind" anyway, the XR5 (in ST guise) has proven itself in at least a dozen reviews in Europe already - I will be ordering one, test drive or no test drive.

Here is a photo from one of the reviews that you should find reassuring.

Motor Says expect the Car in March with a price tag of 37k and Wheels says February and a sticker of 40k? Who knows what to believe?
Old 01-01-2006, 01:58 PM   #55
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Thanks for the advice!

Looks like I have an exciting but tense wait ahead! Walking and public transport wont be that bad for a few more months!
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #56
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsest170
One of the Volvo tuning companies in the UK already has an ECU remap for the ST (XR5), that boosts power from 225 bhp to 260 bhp. Another UK company is offering a performance package that increases engine output to a whopping 300 bhp. It basically only involves an ECU remap, exhaust mods and some turbo mods. So it seems that extra power will be very easy to come by for the XR5.
One thing to bear in mind with modding the motor - turbo upgrades are a bit difficult with this car, due to the fact that the K04 turbo's integrated into the exhaust manifold - can't really squeeze huge extra amounts of boost from that unit.

Personally I feel 300HP is a little optimistic because of the turbo.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 12:01 AM   #57
zetec
Zoom Zoom

No Dealer would be stupid enough to Demo an XR5 anyway, there won't be enough. They'll be sold out months in advance, unfortunately you'll be buying blind, it'll be almost impossible to get a test drive of one even 3-4 months after launch. I'll have to try and drive one and do my duty for the club and let you all know if it's a hoot
Old 02-01-2006, 12:27 AM   #58
Lagom

Apparently 3600 have been built this year and judging by the noises I've heard overseas, demand is doing nicely. I'm betting there will be waiting lists that could well make standard Focus supply issues seem not so bad after all

If you want some idea of what the engine's like - test a Volvo S40/V50 T5 in manual, that engine's torque mesa will be pretty noticeable. The gearbox in it is buttery smooth too on the move.

Chassis in the S40 T5's probably a little softer than the XR5 and at times the power can be overwhelming - it's not a soft chassis, actually rides surprisingly well, but compared to a Golf GTI, there's a lot more comfort in the tune. My guess is the XR5 will have a level of firmness somewhere between a Golf GTI and a T5, I'd expect it to ride better than a GTI.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 03:31 PM   #59
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

exciting times ahead... so many strong turbo monsters entering the AU market!

It'll be interesting to see what our OZ tuning houses come up with :thumbsup:
Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 08:42 PM   #60
zetec
Zoom Zoom

About damn time too for a tunig house taking on a small Ford... then again about time there was a small Ford worth tuning!!