Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 28-07-2005, 07:32 PM   #31
EL_futuraistic

Default usual sideways

Yeah, i used to do it a bit in my sigma, but i find the EL to be a far too big car to have massivley out of shape. I only have an SS diff, but anyone with an LSD and a manual box should find it pretty easy. I think nearly everyone has said though, doing it on the road there are far too many gutters and telegraph poles to be Balls out sliding through streets.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 07:39 PM   #32
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_efxr
2. The R33 is as if thats what is meant for, so easy to control and the drifts that you get out of it are amazing, with so little effort you end up frequently sideways. So easy to get back into a straight line too. The R33 is great to drift in tight spots as for the wagon you need quite alot of space to fit its big *** on the road when sideways.
R33's rock for this kind of stuff. They are sooo easy to put sideways and still put the car wherever you want to go (I hope a certain somebody doesnt read this post now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
Oh Mark(stockstandard). That random car drifting has an open centre.
When my car goes sideways under power it all goes well until the car 'levels out', then the drive wheel swaps and the back flicks violently the other way. I can feel it comming and catch it easy enough, but it is far from real drifting. Do you know what tires random has on the back?
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 07:45 PM   #33
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just dont get yourself killed like these fools... LOL.

http://www.ogrish.com/archives/2005/...udi_arabia.wmv
Old 28-07-2005, 08:16 PM   #34
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

awww a white EF.. I wonder who that was? Stupid bald front tyres

1979 XD Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 302C V8, Full velour interior, slowly building her up to be a tough cruiser!

2002 Nissan Patrol ST - Desert Gold, 4.8L DOHC 6cyl petrol (Soon to be reequipped with a 5.7L LS1 V8), 5speed auto, lifted, locked, 33's, nature destruction vehicle!
MightyXR6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 08:19 PM   #35
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
I have a better video that involves a white EF, going the other way on that road and a horn :P
Well post it up knackers!!
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 08:48 PM   #36
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Apart from some power slides (semi-controlled oversteer :P) at 70kph around corners on dirt roads, and pulling out sideways from some servos in SE melbourne on rainy nights (with no traffic... damn I love semi auto!), I haven't actually done any drifting. No skill and tiny testiclae sums me up!

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 08:50 PM   #37
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Ive killed two gearboxes and a diff, broke axles twice and snapped my engine mounts twice from drifting/ attempted drifitng lol. My clutch isnt what it used to be either.
The worst thing is i now drive around with a SS. Nooooooo!

Good on you to the people who have given it a go, e-series are not one of the easier cars to try it in.

Two things that really hold us back from doing a decent job of it:

-the quality of the car. Jap quality ie skylines silvias etc s all over 15year old Fords, the parts are designed to be hammered and just last for ages. Unless making big power gearboxes last for a long time, engines handle the abuse more and diff breakges are unheard of!

-that goddamn umbrella handbrake. Id put it right up there next to Fords decision to axe the V8. The handbrake is essential especially for beginers and yanking thing that comes in e-series does nothing. Hydraulic handbrake time! (or get an AU, theyre cheapo these days)
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 10:13 PM   #38
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's a pretty awesome drift Aaron!

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #39
oneredED
need more boost

I tried drifting for around twelve months. Most of us know the result of an over ambitious attempt by myself a few months back, and so i won't bore you all and fill you in on the bad consequences that drifting can have.

I was silly, i'll admit. I only ever drifted in the wet, and my car is a single spinner auto... (mistake one) When i did it most of the time, i was running standard springs too, so it was body roll galore (mistake two). The best i could manage (on a closed road) was linking 4 corners together (lock to lock) at around 70-80km/h with each corner taking around 3 to 5 seconds, without gaining traction at the rear until after the fourth corner. The falcons are just too heavy, and mine personally was so underpowered, (say i had to go through a right hander as the first corner) that i would have to turn left first, and use the momentum of the car as i turned right to bring the **** end out before the corner.

Remember, drift on closed roads people, and don't leave your mags on when you do it :P If you must drift an auto falcon, do not drift in Drive... EVER! 2nd will be more than adequate. I'll post a pic in 2 minutes of my tyre down to the belts, even though the road was wet...

Jared

EDIT: Here's one of my two rear tyres from a drift session of an hour or so in the wet, the other was not quite so bad due to the camber of the series of corners i was doing favoured one side slightly more. And yes, they are 65 profile tyres... (mistake three)

Random Advice: If for some really stupid reason you may think that trying to lose traction 60 kays in excess of 100kmh is a good idea in the wet: Save yourself the trouble... It's far more scary than it is exciting. :0
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P

Last edited by oneredED; 28-07-2005 at 11:04 PM.
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 11:29 PM   #40
Hotwire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most of the people arent really drifting an e-series in my opinon. True drift is plent of pre-apex entry angle, and its very hard to do that properly in falcon. Power oversteer is not drifting!
People say that the weight is a penalty, and its true to an extent. Basically to setup suspension properly would just cost too much for a falcon in my opinion, with the chassis also being far to flimsy. A decent firm chassis is require (read sports car not family car) or a load of extra bracing/framework.
If you are serious about drift, it will not be cheap. to setup a dedicated drift track falcon i believe it would cost around 10k min to even have a chance of being competative.
my 2.2c inc GST ;)
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 11:39 PM   #41
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

lol, Jared i still remember pulling up after your last drift sprint and seeing your diff literally cracked in half lol.
Old 29-07-2005, 02:08 AM   #42
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

I've had the same diff in my car since I've had it, if its LSD, it's rooted, because it single spins all the time. My handbrake can't lock both back wheels either :P

Rollin - Did you find it hard drifting on 15" rims? I've tried it a few times, and I know its cheaper for tyres, but I found my car has a lot more response with 17's all round. As a sidenote, all the Japanese D1 cars use similar sized front and rear tyres.

I reckon 10k would build a very competitive drift EA-EB. You don't need mega power to begin with (160rwkw would do it), you don't need a short ratio diff, the brakes can remain stock, if you kill the T5, a top loader will do, and WhiteLine sell most of the suspension parts you'd need, like radius rods, adjustable sway bars, poly bushes etc.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #43
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmm not in a falcon i havent. You have to do a fair bit of suspension work before it really feels capable of holding a drift.

I drove a 180sx for 3 months, now that thing drifted all day with minimal effort.
Old 29-07-2005, 03:19 PM   #44
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Bloody hell Aaron, every time I watch that I shake my head.

Good stuff.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2005, 07:15 PM   #45
mockgt

dont no what you all talking bout. i have a stock standard ED, auto, single spinner and it drifts pretty damn well. my mate has a EF XR6 5 speed and that drifts like a dream, helps that hes damn good at it too.

next time we go out drifting ill get some good pics for ya all.

jase (EV XR6) said next cruise hell drift for every1 who is there.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2005, 07:15 PM   #46
mockgt

sorry EF XR6
Old 29-07-2005, 07:39 PM   #47
EFFalcon
Last warning

haha, i've seen his dirft efforts.... didnt it result in some damage at the last CCC cruise? ;)
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2005, 07:52 PM   #48
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Was this the guy that drifted a corner in front of bell st maccers that night and then almost hit the back of a WRX :P??
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2005, 07:55 PM   #49
EFFalcon
Last warning

yes. thats the bloke :P
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2005, 07:58 PM   #50
Walkinshaw
Two > One

so, genuine idiot then??

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2005, 08:13 PM   #51
Damo
Banned

Standard auto Single spinner Falcons do not drift well. No matter what you think. Getting it sideways in the wet isn't drifting.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2005, 08:30 PM   #52
Walkinshaw
Two > One

It sure as hell isnt. On the same token, an AE86 sliding into a corner sideways then holding it round a set of essess isnt drifting either in my book. Its a bit of a personal thing i guess. I really dont class it as drift unless there is BULK smoke billowing out of the back of the car.

Old 30-07-2005, 02:36 AM   #53
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Smokes got nothing to do with it.
Its nice and definitely scores points but a drift is generally defined as having hte car sliding pre apex.
Old 30-07-2005, 06:21 AM   #54
mockgt

ok so i admit the whole 2 drifts you have seen by him werent so good. but at the same time id like to see any of you out do him.
Old 30-07-2005, 01:09 PM   #55
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

OK, I'll step up and say i'm better than him.

Prove me wrong

Old 30-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #56
mockgt

ul have to take it up with him but im sure he'd be up 4 it sometime.
Old 30-07-2005, 01:29 PM   #57
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockgt
next time we go out drifting ill get some good pics for ya all.
*waits*

Old 30-07-2005, 02:20 PM   #58
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Smokes got nothing to do with it.
Its nice and definitely scores points but a drift is generally defined as having hte car sliding pre apex.
I relise thats how the scoring system works, but you have to admit the AE86/other low powered well balanced cars are VERY VERY booring to watch drifting. Smoke, noise, speed makes the show. A car sliding beautifuly onto a straight in perfect drift is only 3% as good as something with no exhaust or a screamer pipe sliding through sideways with the back end caked in smoke, and able to snake it down the straight at 160kmh+ wall to wall with smoke ****ing out everywhere!

Old 30-07-2005, 02:24 PM   #59
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
I relise thats how the scoring system works, but you have to admit the AE86/other low powered well balanced cars are VERY VERY booring to watch drifting. Smoke, noise, speed makes the show. A car sliding beautifuly onto a straight in perfect drift is only 3% as good as something with no exhaust or a screamer pipe sliding through sideways with the back end caked in smoke, and able to snake it down the straight at 160kmh+ wall to wall with smoke ****ing out everywhere!
something like this http://users.on.net/~jasiunas/stockstandard/supracut.wmv
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #60
Damo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstandard
The last 20 seconds of that video were awesome. :hihi:

I think i can translate the first bit.

Yellow car! Turbo! Intercooler! Big wheels! Tyres! Drift!
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post