Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-08-2022, 12:09 PM   #31
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Vfacts July 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Ever tried to load a big screen TV into a sedan or medium SUV?

Actually the Territory was pretty good for that, ****s on its competitors for internal space, but you can buy one of those anymore so twin cab it is
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2022, 12:13 PM   #32
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
There's a Ranger on practically every 2nd street in my suburb. Seeing one with something in the back is the exception, not the rule. As far as cargo space goes, there's more space (maybe not height-wise) in a SUV with the rear seats down. I'm perplexed why someone who is not a tradie would buy a Ranger over an Everest.
Why does it bother you that you can't figure out their reasons? Is it wrong for others to think differently?

There is no right or wrong for choosing a car. Only different.

Those that don't like how others do things are the ones with the issue.
Old 05-08-2022, 12:13 PM   #33
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There's a Ranger on practically every 2nd street in my suburb. Seeing one with something in the back is the exception, not the rule. As far as cargo space goes, there's more space (maybe not height-wise) in a SUV with the rear seats down. I'm perplexed why someone who is not a tradie would buy a Ranger over an Everest.
Why does it matter which one they buy?
Is personal preference not allowed?
3 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2022, 12:15 PM   #34
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
I could list them, but the sales figures are doing the talking.
The only advantage I can see is being able to hose it out after carrying dirty/dusty crap. If I'm going to use one for camping, it means I take a fridge/drawers, so would need to enclose it, etc.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-08-2022, 12:20 PM   #35
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Is it wrong for others to think differently?
Apparently, because ironically, I'm being criticised for not sharing the love for utes.
Old 05-08-2022, 01:21 PM   #36
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
100% Correct. Ask the majority of the public and they wouldn't have a clue what brand or model is No.1.

I was a car salesman for 15 years selling new Ford, Hyundai, Jeep and Daihatsu and still didn't care about Vfacts.

I have two utes in the household. One being a Falcon ute and the other being a dual cab (Colorado of all things).

Both are strictly private use and while I will admit the dual cab is not used as much as the Falcon, they are both regularly used as intended. I'd be lost without a ute.

So would I. What colour do you like? We could have matching utes.
im going to go a narooma blue one. its a pretty colour and even though i want a new 20 year old car i need to look good!
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2022, 01:40 PM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
100% Correct. Ask the majority of the public and they wouldn't have a clue what brand or model is No.1.

I was a car salesman for 15 years selling new Ford, Hyundai, Jeep and Daihatsu and still didn't care about Vfacts.
Part of one of those multi franchise dealerships? Oh man that one would have been interesting
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2022, 01:58 PM   #38
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Apparently, because ironically, I'm being criticised for not sharing the love for utes.
Pot, Kettle, Black
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2022, 02:04 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
No you're not, you're being criticized for saying no one uses utes for what they are intended for.

Which was a ridiculous thing to say. It's fine if you don't like them, but making silly claims because you don't is just infantile.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2022, 02:39 PM   #40
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would love to have a ute but it would have to be single cab, for maximum capacity/length in the tub.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2022, 02:43 PM   #41
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Incase you need to use that back seat and the space it provides down.
I had a NS Pajero before my Ranger, both we're fitted out with rear drawers, my dual battery and fridge, problem is in the Pajero I couldnt have all that with a cargo barrier in place so it left me and my passengers exposed to whatever was in the cargo area.
In the Ranger I get longer drawers, heaps more cargo space and no risk of exposure to items in the cargo area.
Only downside is the canopy gets hotter than the back of the Pajero so the fridge works harder with no assistance from the 3rd row AC in the Paj.
To overcome this I've invested in custom made window insulation for the canopy.

I drove the Ranger to work for the first time in 6 weeks today and had none of the harassment I'd normally get in the FG from jacked up utes or 4wd's.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2022, 03:09 PM   #42
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The only advantage I can see is being able to hose it out after carrying dirty/dusty crap. If I'm going to use one for camping, it means I take a fridge/drawers, so would need to enclose it, etc.
The cover keeps everything dry, some even have the sliding door which is more secure, there is a lit more floor space than an Everest you can basically pile stuff in without worrying.

Weve gone camping with a Prado & a Ranger most of the stuff goes in the Ranger, the cooler gets a bit warmer but still works fine

Incidentally when the cover is on it hides what you are carrying, so how do you know they are going around empty?
Old 05-08-2022, 03:13 PM   #43
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here I am explaining - shouldnt have to
2 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2022, 03:43 PM   #44
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fair enough. 15 years ago we all moaned about the death of falcadores and that nobody needed SUVs, and yet here we are ... we all need our SUVs/utes. Fast forward another 15 years and we'll probably all be driving F-trucks.
Old 05-08-2022, 03:55 PM   #45
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Fast forward another 15 years and we'll probably all be driving F-trucks.
I'm content as long as we're all wheeling 300KW 7.3L Godzilla powered monsters
4 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2022, 03:57 PM   #46
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'm content as long as we're all wheeling 300KW 7.3L Godzilla powered monsters
Haha, maybe if they start measuring battery sizes in litres.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:00 PM   #47
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Fair enough. 15 years ago we all moaned about the death of falcadores and that nobody needed SUVs, and yet here we are ... we all need our SUVs/utes. Fast forward another 15 years and we'll probably all be driving F-trucks.
15 years ago I was Driving a Territory - thinking how good is this!
2 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2022, 05:29 PM   #48
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Says more about Aus buyers. How many people actually even need a ute, or even use one as intended?
This is interesting. The Ranger is basically the Falcon, today. It's a 3 box design, two rows of seats, with a bit of clearance and a biggish boot. I'd have to measure, but clearance must be similar to the old high up 1950s cars like EK Holden utes.

Australian's havent changed. They want a flexible car that can do work/family/lifestyle.

That said I wouldn't buy one - only because surfboards fit better in wagons.

Edit: there's also massive tax concessions in its favour.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:30 PM   #49
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
let me buy a brand new au xls ute for 30k and id buy tomorrow
Let me buy brand new AUIII Forte wagon with 6 seater at 30K and I'd buy tomorrow. In the red metallic colour.

Last edited by Sprintey; 05-08-2022 at 05:37 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2022, 06:20 PM   #50
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's an extra piece of data, car registrations from trading economics

https://tradingeconomics.com/austral...-registrations

make the chart 25 years

You will note the decline - had me scratching my head, until I realised dual cab utes are classed as commercial - I think? That would explain declining car registrations but higher and higher sales until 2020
Old 05-08-2022, 06:45 PM   #51
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
This is interesting. The Ranger is basically the Falcon, today. It's a 3 box design, two rows of seats, with a bit of clearance and a biggish boot. I'd have to measure, but clearance must be similar to the old high up 1950s cars like EK Holden utes.

Australian's havent changed. They want a flexible car that can do work/family/lifestyle.
I tend to agree with this. The Falcon platform for a long time was all about utility, available in multiple body styles so as to suit a wide variety of use cases. Ranger is the same thing.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2022, 06:55 PM   #52
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

So having said that, I sort of laugh at the idea of "tradie's" using dual cab utes for "work". Nearly every one with a tradie behind the wheel is towing a tailer behind to carry all of the tools because the trays on them are useless for work.

A useless dual cab tub can't do this! -

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2022, 07:04 PM   #53
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
So having said that, I sort of laugh at the idea of "tradie's" using dual cab utes for "work". Nearly every one with a tradie behind the wheel is towing a tailer behind to carry all of the tools because the trays on them are useless for work.

A useless dual cab tub can't do this! -

Agree - single cab ute is the pride of my ****box fleet, makes for next level Bunnings visits.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2022, 07:24 PM   #54
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exactly, the tubs are too small.

Todays adventure with the wagon, we've had little waves in Victoria and in these conditions, people can take more foam for more float. So I packed a 9'6" longboard into the Territory and swung past the beach before an appointment in town. Normally it will easily stow down the middle, but today I wanted the board to look 'out of sight' once in town so I put down the front seat, and the entire 9'6 went diagonally in the car, from tailgate to bottom of dash. Incognito. If I had the nose up on the dash I could probably stow 10'6" or something ridiculous. The car is an honourary panel van - just so flexible.

My young tradie sees an increase in vans used by other tradies - secure storage (after some work guys and friends have had thousands in tools stolen from their tubs or poorly secured canopies), and can store length items better. And he reckons having to tow a separate trailer is silly after you have bought a ute. F150 and Ram and friends are only dual cabs with decent size trays
Old 06-08-2022, 03:03 PM   #55
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Pretty obvious that most crew cab Utes sold these days do anything but carry loads in their tubs or tow anything much heavier than a jet ski trailer. For all intents and purposes, they’ve basically replaced a lot of what once was car sales with a little bit of utility added and a whole lot more price.

Even with Toyota and other brands offering tradie Utes, the sales dwarf in comparison to the crew cabs, so whoever is still left buying single cabs, they’re a minority. Not meaning to dismiss those folks but to imply that there’s a huge market being missed is overstating the actual demand…
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2022, 06:17 PM   #56
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Pretty obvious that most crew cab Utes sold these days do anything but carry loads in their tubs or tow anything much heavier than a jet ski trailer. For all intents and purposes, they’ve basically replaced a lot of what once was car sales with a little bit of utility added and a whole lot more price.

Even with Toyota and other brands offering tradie Utes, the sales dwarf in comparison to the crew cabs, so whoever is still left buying single cabs, they’re a minority. Not meaning to dismiss those folks but to imply that there’s a huge market being missed is overstating the actual demand…
Don't know about that I regularly back load bagged fert for my farm ....you just have to load them to their limits I normally order 1.5 tonnes and do it in 2 loads so I can load it as closet the front bulk head

If I had a single cab with a tray at the back I wouldn't be able to cart it in one load as it would be still over weight , so bit of a non issue really ....you just have to be practical with how you load them .....it certainly beats my previous vehicle Toyota starlet where about 200kg and the suspension hit the bump stops ....but it was good for carrying 6m drainage pipe out the windows corner to corner diagonally

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2022, 08:10 PM   #57
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
Don't know about that I regularly back load bagged fert for my farm ....you just have to load them to their limits I normally order 1.5 tonnes and do it in 2 loads so I can load it as closet the front bulk head

If I had a single cab with a tray at the back I wouldn't be able to cart it in one load as it would be still over weight , so bit of a non issue really ....you just have to be practical with how you load them .....it certainly beats my previous vehicle Toyota starlet where about 200kg and the suspension hit the bump stops ....but it was good for carrying 6m drainage pipe out the windows corner to corner diagonally
And if you had the right sized trailer, you could take the entire load in one go and then some…

The point I was making is that the demand for single cab Ute with 8 foot tray is far less than that for crew cab Utes, it’s been that way for a long time now and people have to understand that like large sedans, tradie Utes are a much smaller market these days.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2022, 08:13 PM   #58
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
And if you had the right sized trailer, you could take the entire load in one go and then some…
As you could with the crew cab

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2022, 03:04 PM   #59
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

so much care about what someone else buys!

i have never looked at a car in traffic and cared about why the person picked it.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2022, 03:06 PM   #60
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
so much care about what someone else buys!

i have never looked at a car in traffic and cared about why the person picked it.
Bingo.