Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: "Queensland drivers have been slapped with around 90 million dollars in fines for going ‘just over’ t

True, if you speed all the time then it’s only a matter of time until you’re caught
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #32
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: "Queensland drivers have been slapped with around 90 million dollars in fines for going ‘just over’ t

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Bingo.

Not a difficult concept really.
It's called the letter of the Law in fact and it's only just that.
The Law is a *** it is said of, there is more to such things as the Law and the Law does not make it true or correct.
There is a reason why their is such laws and it's under that reasoning that it comes about, such things can be brought into dispute in fact.

I am not against the reason why the posted limits are about, but that does not make all such a limits posted correct or Justified.

Most idiots who only drive 20.000km a year and mainly only to work would not care at all and why should they, but when some drive all over the place doing over 50,000 and more, then one can see the point that such is getting the rough end of the pineapple.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #33
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
It's called the letter of the Law in fact and it's only just that.
The Law is a *** it is said of, there is more to such things as the Law and the Law does not make it true or correct.
There is a reason why their is such laws and it's under that reasoning that it comes about, such things can be brought into dispute in fact.

I am not against the reason why the posted limits are about, but that does not make all such a limits posted correct or Justified.

Most idiots who only drive 20.000km a year and mainly only to work would not care at all and why should they, but when some drive all over the place doing over 50,000 and more, then one can see the point that such is getting the rough end of the pineapple.
I dont know about that Mick, whilst you are correct that many limits are not necessarily correct for the situation they are what they are.
Speeding fines are voluntary taxes in that if you choose to travel over the posted limit knowing what the reprocussions are if caught, you have voluntarily contributed to that tax collection method.

One could argue that professional drivers who cover more than 50,000kms per year should be competent enough to do so whilst obeying those limits, the notion that if you do something regularly you should become better at it comes to mind, unless that regular habit is against the rules imposed, then you just become another of the regular whingers.
Those idiots who only drive 20,000kms to work and back obviously arent as experienced and it would be fair to say they would make more regular errors of judgement, not that thats acceptable.
Personally, i do about 35,000kms per year, travelled all across eastern Australia and haven't had a speeding fine in around 20yrs so im not sure what bracket i fit into where thats concerned, just lucky i guess, mind you, i've never found it hard to maintain the correct speed for a particular situation so maybe its more a case of competent driving.

One thing i do know is this, if i ever do get caught speeding, regardless of how, why or where, i'll own the mistake and pay more attention in future, because im man enough to say i ****ed up and contributed to the idiots voluntary tax.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #34
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would take offence for those idiots that travel over 20,000 kms per year and ask why are they so different. Most of them are law abiding citizens are are no more likely to speed according to your logic. They are the same poor sods who get caught by the camera behind a bush or just around the bend on a dark morning and they pay the fines and make a mental note of where the authorities hide their $$$making devices , just as every other driver should do when driving. Don't bitch when you get a fine , pay it and learn.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #35
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I dont know about that Mick, whilst you are correct that many limits are not necessarily correct for the situation they are what they are.
Speeding fines are voluntary taxes in that if you choose to travel over the posted limit knowing what the reprocussions are if caught, you have voluntarily contributed to that tax collection method.
It's more than that, you're giving Govco license to call you dangerous and the right to stop you driving
if you continue to speed. On top of that, a bad driving record also gives insurance companies
reason to either charge you more of insurance or in worst case, refuse to insure you.
This is why so many in the US challenge speeding violations because of the ramifications it has
on keeping insurance.

Also consider the effect it has on you if it happens in a work vehicle, I know several fleets that
now have in-vehicle monitoring that immediately dobs you in if you speed or even brake hard.
IMO, that is worse than speed cameras because your employer is watching, three strikes and you're gone.

Last edited by jpd80; 17-04-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 17-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #36
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
It's more than that, you're giving Govco license to call you dangerous and the right to stop you driving
if you continue to speed. On top of that, a bad driving record also gives insurance companies
reason to either charge you more of insurance or in worst case, refuse to insure you.
This is why so many in the US challenge speeding violations because of the ramifications it has
on keeping insurance.

Also consider the effect it has on you if it happens in a work vehicle, I know several fleets that
now have in-vehicle monitoring that immediately dobs you in if you speed or even brake hard.
IMO, that is worse than speed cameras because your employer is watching, three strikes and you're gone.
Yes, all true, but you know all of that before you head off on your journey, true?
Its not like the camera, fine and reprocussions arent made well aware.
They tell us during holiday periods that its double points not double fines.
Its not something they spring on you after the event.

Yet people still contribute to their own downfall, that has nothing to do with Govco.

If Govco install a fence 10m away from a cliff edge and install a sign telling you the fence is in place to keep you from possibly falling off the cliff should you go further and you climb over said fence to take a better selfie and fall off the cliff, who's fault is it?
Dont get me wrong, it would be fair to say that if you cross said fence and stop half way, 5m beyond the assigned boundary you would still be safe and ask why the fence wasn't installed there.
Then you would get the people who climb the fence 5m away and stop half way, 2.5m beyond the assigned boundary and could argue that they too feel safe so why isnt the fence there.
There has to be a boundary at some point and not everyone will be happy with where that boudary is set, but if you cross that boundary wherever it is set, its at your own expense.

That is voluntary and undeniable.
4 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #37
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, all true, but you know all of that before you head off on your journey, true?
Its not like the camera, fine and reprocussions arent made well aware.
Totally agree but not all the repercussions are spelled out in commercials especially in Queensland

Just responding to your post in regards to it being purely about cash raising,
there are lots of other consequences to consider that people seem to forget
after an hour or so of driving. Maybe it's like a reality TV show where people
forget the cameras are watching...

I think In-vehicle monitoring by employer is much harsher than Govco as already explained...

Quote:
If Govco install a fence 10m away from a cliff edge and install a sign telling you the fence is in place to keep you from possibly falling off the cliff should you go further and you climb over said fence to take a better selfie and fall off the cliff, who's fault is it?
That is an unequal comparison.
It would be more like don't go within 1 metre of the edge and someone steps 40 mm inside that limit...
Now the ground may give way and the person may fall to their death but is it likely?
It's a subtle difference...

Speed limits by their very nature are conservative and if 4 kph over is so dangerous
then they would lower the speed by another 10 kph to prevent the dangerous situation
from occurring with most drivers. This often happens when the speed limit is lowered from a
previous speed of say, 100 kph to 90 kph as they did they did on the Gold Coast highway
in inner Brisbane for the Commonwealth Games....the road was still the same but there
were actually less people traveling daily because a lot of Gold Coast residents left town.

Or even more telling, it like govco lowering built up areas to 50 kph from 60 kph in response to
crash history, believing everyone who lied about going 3-4 kph over the limit when they were
actually doing 70 or 75 kph..

Last edited by jpd80; 17-04-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 17-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #38
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Just responding to your post in regards to it being purely about cash raising,
there are lots of other consequences to consider that people seem to forget
after an hour or so of driving. Maybe it's like a reality TV show where people
forget the cameras are watching...
Yes, people may forget but its still not an excuse, you may forget the camera's but the speedometer is right in front of you, and before its said that driving around looking at your speedo is just as dangerous, those of us who get around without racking up speeding fines manage to drive to the limit without speedo gazing so the two are not mutual.

Quote:
I think In-vehicle monitoring by employer is much harsher than Govco as already explained...
Unless you owned said business and were bombarded with speeding fines.
Lets not forget, many people get away without accumulating demerit points by claiming no one knows who was driving at the time, its been going on for years, in vehicle monitoring eradicates the possibility.

Quote:
Speed limits by their very nature are conservative and if 4 kph over is so dangerous
then they would lower the speed by another 10 kph to prevent the dangerous situation
from occurring with most drivers. This often happens when the speed limit is lowered from a
previous speed of say, 100 kph to 90 kph as they did they did on the Gold Coast highway
in inner Brisbane for the Commonwealth Games....the road was still the same but there
were actually less people traveling daily because a lot of Gold Coast residents left town.
This may all be true too but they are what they are and in the example given, sign posted to advise. If you miss them,choose to ignore them or forget them it is on you the driver, no one else.
If i fail to give way to you its not your fault for being where you are, its my fault for not paying the right attention.
I might have missed you when i looked, forgot to look or just didnt bother looking but its still my fault.

One of the first things a Police officer asks when you are pulled over for speeding is what is your reason for driving in that manner, its a trick question because the answer is nothing as there is none in the eyes of the law.

It is preventable and therefore voluntary.
Old 17-04-2018, 08:41 PM   #39
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Personally, i do about 35,000kms per year, travelled all across eastern Australia and haven't had a speeding fine in around 20yrs so im not sure what bracket i fit into where thats concerned, just lucky i guess, mind you, i've never found it hard to maintain the correct speed for a particular situation so maybe its more a case of competent driving.

One thing i do know is this, if i ever do get caught speeding, regardless of how, why or where, i'll own the mistake and pay more attention in future, because im man enough to say i ****ed up and contributed to the idiots voluntary tax.
apart from the amount of km's, i'm the same. haven't had a fine since being on my P's about 25yrs ago. have clocked up probably close to half a million km's since then at a rough guess, maybe more. Never been fined during that time. Do I have special powers? Absolutely not.

Do I agree with every limit posted? Of course not, but no one ever got a speed limit changed by speeding in it. To think that intentionally speeding because you think the limit isn't right, will have any other result than the possibility of being caught and fined, is just craziness.

To me, its just a lack of respect for authority. nothing more, nothing less. Its not difficult to obey a speed limit. if the terrain is such that maintaining a speed at or below the limit is difficult, then choose a speed that is slightly below, to prevent you running over, or use cruise control if you have it.

Let me just clarify that I don't think the focus on speeding by the govt has anything to do with safety, and its impossible for a 'safety camera' to save anything at all. After all, I can drive through a 'safety camera' at speed, and then runs someone over and kill them. Why didn't the 'safety camera' save me, or them? Of course the focus on speed is simply an easy revenue stream that can be easily justified by 'experts' as being about safety.

If they were serious about safety they would spend a lot more time and effort reducing the amount of people who break all the other rules on the road that are just as critical. Unroadworthy cars, mobile device use, failing to give way, right lane hogs etc etc. If it was about safety, they would police all rules equally. Mind you, I've seen cop cars and bikes sit out in the right hand lane on multilane 100km/h roads, so what hope is there...

so having said that, I still maintain that it isn't difficult to not get caught speeding, regardless of what you believe about the motives behind govco.

as for the notion that different abilities should be policed differently, who determines what ability you are? I've seen some people who would class themselves as quite competent do some very stupid things.

A licence is a privilege and driving on the roads is a privilege. it is purely transport, not some playground. have some respect and courtesy for your fellow human and be patient and attentive, and above all, just drive your car.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2018, 10:06 PM   #40
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, people may forget but its still not an excuse, you may forget the camera's but the speedometer is right in front of you, and before its said that driving around looking at your speedo is just as dangerous, those of us who get around without racking up speeding fines manage to drive to the limit without speedo gazing so the two are not mutual.
I'm not claiming as an excuse just what is...

Quote:
Lets not forget, many people get away without accumulating demerit points by claiming no one knows who was driving at the time, its been going on for years, in vehicle monitoring eradicates the possibility.
Don't know about Victorua but that does not fly in Queensland.
My employer tried to do that for one of his employees before I joined him,
the police from the speed camera branch hounded him because as an owner,
he's required to know who's driving his vehicles as he authorizes people to
do so. He was forced to give up the person who was driving via stat
declaration, they threatened him with obstruction of justice.

Quote:
This may all be true too but they are what they are and in the example given, sign posted to advise. If you miss them,choose to ignore them or forget them it is on you the driver, no one else.
If i fail to give way to you its not your fault for being where you are, its my fault for not paying the right attention.
I might have missed you when i looked, forgot to look or just didn't bother looking but its still my fault.

One of the first things a Police officer asks when you are pulled over for speeding is what is your reason for driving in that manner, its a trick question because the answer is nothing as there is none in the eyes of the law.

It is preventable and therefore voluntary.
Of course, again I'm commenting on what is not justifying it.

With in vehicle monitoring, the moment you exceed the limit, it's a recorded incident even if it's 2 kph
Do that three times and most companies will suspend you from driving even without any action by police.
And trust me, it's the hardest thing not to do when you're being swept along in a sea of B doubles
all speeding through roadworks. Again not an excuse but the way things are.

Last edited by jpd80; 17-04-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 17-04-2018, 10:25 PM   #41
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I don't know of any company that would pay an employees speeding fines, they're usually sent back to the relevant state authority with the employees name and license number.

Ask me how I know
Old 17-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #42
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Best defence?

Use ya cruise control.

Alternatively get a dashcam with GPS speed to prove you are innocent....
I now have huds in all may cars not to prove I'm innocent but so I can watch the road and not my 17 year old analogue speedos. I also have them set to read 2 ks higher to give me so room for error.
I am old enough to remember the speed was 30 mph in the street light areas and 60mph in the country and that was it. I hate the 50 k zone/area/where ever now.
People are simple, make it 60 or 50 in the street light areas. I can see in the future 'big brother' could make all cars have GPS and every car will be limited to the speed zone as the GPS reads it.
UK
I have no issues with the school zone speeds or times

How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #43
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I don't know of any company that would pay an employees speeding fines, they're usually sent back to the relevant state authority with the employees name and license number.

Ask me how I know
How do you know?
Cav is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2018, 10:29 PM   #44
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
apart from the amount of km's, i'm the same. haven't had a fine since being on my P's about 25yrs ago. have clocked up probably close to half a million km's since then at a rough guess, maybe more. Never been fined during that time. Do I have special powers? Absolutely not.
40 years for me, probably close to 2 million kms and from memory about eight speeding fines.

Quote:
If they were serious about safety they would spend a lot more time and effort reducing the amount of people who break all the other rules on the road that are just as critical. Unroadworthy cars, mobile device use, failing to give way, right lane hogs etc etc. If it was about safety, they would police all rules equally. Mind you, I've seen cop cars and bikes sit out in the right hand lane on multilane 100km/h roads, so what hope is there...
If there's enough cars to the left of you, you're allowed to be there
but yeah, you're not allowed to squat there when the other lanes are empty..

Bike copper told me they sometimes sit there so they can watch all lanes
with their helmet cam. Sounded funny to me but whatever works..
Old 17-04-2018, 11:39 PM   #45
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just tuned into this thread.

Who are all these immature empty heads arguing that State Governments are sincere in "lowering the road toll by rolling out ever increasing numbers of "speed" cameras"?
One would have to conclude that you actually believe their propaganda, so I guess you are products of Govco's brainwashing machine.
Brushing aside those "if you don't speed you won't get caught" sub zero IQ pundits, State Governments realised many years ago that there were unlimited funds to be raised by introducing a hidden tax by fining drivers, going about their business, driving slightly over the "speed limit" (perhaps going down hill). Now, funding advisers researched this avenue and easily concluded that if they set the limit to a speed below the norm, then unlimited funds could flow into the Government's coffers. So now, as incompetent State Governments outspend their budgets into ever increasing debt that our children can never hope to repay, they include "speeding fines" in their budgets and decrease the tolerance and spend outrageous amounts of taxpayers dollars telling us "unintelligent constituents" that "every K over is a killer" So based on Govco's advice, one is lead to conclude that if I drive 61 KPH in a 60 KPH zode then there will be a trail of carcasses left in my wake. The Lemmings believe this.
I expect a rash of Lemming replies to this but I'm not interested in conversing with empty heads so won't be returning to this thread.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2018, 11:53 PM   #46
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post

Who are all these immature empty heads arguing that State Governments are sincere in "lowering the road toll by rolling out ever increasing numbers of "speed" cameras"?
One would have to conclude that you actually believe their propaganda, so I guess you are products of Govco's brainwashing machine.
Brushing aside those "if you don't speed you won't get caught" sub zero IQ pundits, State Governments realised many years ago that there were unlimited funds to be raised by introducing a hidden tax by fining drivers, going about their business, driving slightly over the "speed limit" (perhaps going down hill). Now, funding advisers researched this avenue and easily concluded that if they set the limit to a speed below the norm, then unlimited funds could flow into the Government's coffers. So now, as incompetent State Governments outspend their budgets into ever increasing debt that our children can never hope to repay, they include "speeding fines" in their budgets and decrease the tolerance and spend outrageous amounts of taxpayers dollars telling us "unintelligent constituents" that "every K over is a killer" So based on Govco's advice, one is lead to conclude that if I drive 61 KPH in a 60 KPH zode then there will be a trail of carcasses left in my wake. The Lemmings believe this.
I expect a rash of Lemming replies to this but I'm not interested in conversing with empty heads so won't be returning to this thread.
Completely agree with you Pedro.

Speed does not kill - for speed is simply distance over time. Inappropriate speed can be dangerous, and can lead to accident or death, but not in every case. When police list speed as a factor, they don't just mean "speed", they mean inappropriate speed, but the government just jumps on the speed and goes after drivers doing 1 k over. I have driven for years at 10% - 1 k over, and have not had any accidents caused by "speeding". And the only time I've been fined was when doing 113 in a 100 zone overtaking a line of slower cars - still didn't die, and neither did anyone else, but I did pay the fine.

In this day and age, I would argue that inattention is the biggest factor at play on the roads.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2018, 12:04 AM   #47
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
This as mentioned:

Quote:
Don't know about Victorua but that does not fly in Queensland.
My employer tried to do that for one of his employees before I joined him,
the police from the speed camera branch hounded him because as an owner,
he's required to know who's driving his vehicles as he authorizes people to
do so. He was forced to give up the person who was driving via stat
declaration, they threatened him with obstruction of justice.
There was a case up here a couple of years ago when one of the states top lawyers’ wife was snapped over the speed limit in his car.

He tried to argue that he doesn’t have to “rat” on someone because he can loan his car to whoever he wants to. But it wasn’t him driving it. The QPS Prosecuter said the onus is on the owner to know who has their vehicle & at what time, or they are liable for it. It was on the news & in the papers that he was challenging it, but after that, heard bubkis.

So either it didn’t go to his plan, & faded into obscurity, or he won and they don’t they have kept it hush hush. Last thing they want is the floodgates to open like Wivenhoe dam in 2011. That’s causing the Govt up here a big enough headache with the possibility to lose 10s possibly 100’s millions.

And I can imagine every other state would enforce in a very similar way.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2018, 12:19 AM   #48
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

Ask me how I know
6 years ago when i last drove trucks one of the drivers would continually get pinged for red light and speeding offences, the owner would pay the fine, tell them he didnt know who was behind the wheel at the time and then deduct the fine from wages.
We were moving general freight around metro Adelaide at the time without set runs and often used different trucks from the fleet depending on the job.

The owner was always commenting to the effect that i moved more freight and earnt more for the business without incurring the fines that the other drivers racked up.
I never cut tyres, broke mirrors, ripped curtains etc, things that every other driver was responsible for doing, i guess i was just more competent and efficient.

Legislation may have changed and it no longer an option, i dont know as i dont drive for them anymore.

None of that really matters though in the context of in vehicle monitoring as its not just about the fines but driver conduct in general which im sure you would be well aware of.
Every man and his dog has access to dash cams, mobiles and u tube so carrying on like a clown on the road will see you come under scruitiny one way or another.
Its about the businesses profile and i think a business owner has the right to positively maintain that, those who dont like the scruitiny are free to seek employment elsewhere,.

That too is a choice.
Old 18-04-2018, 12:27 AM   #49
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Just to clarify for certain people who cant differentiate, just because i dont contribute to the voluntary stupid tax doesn't mean i agree with Govco legislation, the two are very different arguments.

I just choose to avoid donating to them.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2018, 12:47 AM   #50
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Best defence?

Use ya cruise control.

Alternatively get a dashcam with GPS speed to prove you are innocent.

There is no defence once you are over the speed limit.

It is the same when overtaking. If you are caught speeding while overtaking you have no defence.

There was a TV show where a bloke was caught speeding in Vic . The cops got him with a hidden camera. They then show him searching for the hidden cops to no avail.

He took it to court. He maintained that he sped up to overtake as it meant less time on the wrong side of the road. The magistrate increased the fine.

The reason there is no defence for speeding while overtaking is that every Tom Dick and Harry will argue they were in the overtaking lane and overtaking other vehicles.

I think the cops show a lot of discretion in this area, at least that has been my experience.
Was he in a gold car, think it’s a Toyota 86? Or The Subaru Equivilent? While they were on the hill in bush Wookiee gear & a camp net?

If so, That’s highway patrol.

Love that show. It’s my favourite on TV!
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2018, 01:49 AM   #51
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Just to clarify for certain people who cant differentiate, just because i dont contribute to the voluntary stupid tax doesn't mean i agree with Govco legislation, the two are very different arguments.

I just choose to avoid donating to them.
Agree. Driving in such a way as to keep my hard earned money for myself doesn't equal agreement with the laws or limits.

Apparently the 'smart' ones prefer to donate and then cry unfair?? Odd.
4 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2018, 06:00 AM   #52
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agree. Driving in such a way as to keep my hard earned money for myself doesn't equal agreement with the laws or limits.

Apparently the 'smart' ones prefer to donate and then cry unfair?? Odd.
Similarly, while I advocate that certain laws are becoming overly regulatory,
I mostly stay within the law and let others test their luck.

My warning is to fellow Queenslanders who think they can continue to cruise just slightly over the limit,
those days are gone as of July 1 as our state come into conformity with Southern states,

and to people who think they can drive past speed cameras above the posted limit, you'll be sorry..
4 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2018, 06:32 AM   #53
prydey
Rob

I'm not actually that surprised about the article myself. I grew up in qld, and my folks still live there and I visit pretty much every year, and it certainly appears that the speed limits up there are for tourists.

On the Bruce heading north, or the Pacific heading south, everyone does either 20 under, or 20 over.
Old 18-04-2018, 06:41 AM   #54
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

I usually stay out of these kind of topics, because I simply do not know or understand the situation and politics (and no I do not want a left vs right political discussion).

How are these traffic speed laws instituted? Is the public involved in these decisions? Or do government officials make the decisions on their own without concern of the constituency?

Are there ways for the public to steer these types of laws in different directions?
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2018, 06:59 AM   #55
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
I usually stay out of these kind of topics, because I simply do not know or understand the situation and politics (and no I do not want a left vs right political discussion).

How are these traffic speed laws instituted? Is the public involved in these decisions? Or do government officials make the decisions on their own without concern of the constituency?

Are there ways for the public to steer these types of laws in different directions?
Many years ago, there was a member on here that went by the name of 'keepleft' and he would have been able to answer those questions, from memory. Not sure if he is still around.
Old 18-04-2018, 07:45 AM   #56
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Alright, thank you. Maybe some bits and pieces of information might show up.

Cheers.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #57
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
.. do government officials make the decisions on their own without concern of the constituency?
In relation to road laws particularly .. my personal opinion .. this is basically it. Government, particularly public service just decide what's best based upon "expert" advice.

We have special interest groups lobbying for stuff, but from what I seen, unless its obviously "politically correct" directive (eg. reducing speed limits has far greater chance that raising them) it's not going to change.
The best you can normally hope for is that an opposition party might listen to public opinion for a change, and vote them in ..

Best example I've seen in ages is in Victoria the state government just started adding wire rope barriers a large number of roads .. effectively telling people after the fact, despite knowledge they have been a controversial topic here. No specific facts available how the risk assessment was made, nor whether their calculations to remediate one risk created numerous others ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #58
axe

Quote:

It's the roads authority (eg. RMS) or local council but they have to comply with the code of practice or guideline on road design. Often police will also have input into the decision but it's usually up to the bureaucrats who write and then have to follow the approved documentation. In writing the guidance documents there's usually consultation with experts, in this case engineers and road safety researchers.

Obviously parliament can legislate anything they want. If the party with the most votes wants to raise limits they could although given that there's been at least 20 years of "speed kills" it'd be a brave government that reversed that position. Political parties are usually fairly risk averse, the slight boost in the polls they might get from raising the limits would probably be offset by the potential increase in road fatality stats so I doubt we'll every see increased limits.

The only hope is that autonomous vehicles might make increased limits more likely because they can theoretically remove most crash causes (human error) from the equation.

XF Ute, ED XR6 sedan, AUII sedan, BF XR6 sedan, FG XR6T sedan

Now

Ford FGX XR6 Sprint, FG MkII XT EcoLPI
axe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #59
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"A TOWNSVILLE man has copped a $146 fine for driving 1km/h over the speed limit.
Jake Cassidy, 21, was pulled over on December 23 and accused of clocking 61km/h in a 60km/h zone.
Mr Cassidy was driving a company car on a delivery and is not convinced he was 1km/h over.
The police officer did not use a speed gun to catch Mr Cassidy but measured the speed by driving behind him."
http://www.couriermail.com.au/townsv...e17e6110059619
Old 18-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #60
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450 View Post
I would take offence for those idiots that travel over 20,000 kms per year and ask why are they so different. Most of them are law abiding citizens are are no more likely to speed according to your logic. They are the same poor sods who get caught by the camera behind a bush or just around the bend on a dark morning and they pay the fines and make a mental note of where the authorities hide their $$$making devices , just as every other driver should do when driving. Don't bitch when you get a fine , pay it and learn.
GT450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro

When one just travels to work and back you should know where the device hide, so if you do cop it you must of been asleep at the wheel.
I was not pointing to saying anything about speeding but just that chances are that Joe average could not cut it regardless is he were subjected to driving all day all over the city and all looking for places you are sent when it can be like a rabbit warren to deal with.

I am being overtaken all the time mainly P plate drivers and 4X4 and trucks, but it does not bother me at all.

Just yesterday or any day I see stupid driving incompetence is everywhere how many people know how to merge well ? hey ! just look at all the f ing hopeless morons.

Take 2 lanes going into one because of road works, what's the go here ? every idiot will not think ahead and merge with intelligence, but end up a push and shove and the works point, so we all have to stop start or creep along a 5km/h when the sign says 40km/h.
If they all thought a head and were though of other road uses all would merge and sit on 40km/h coming up to and through the works, but no ! a line up of cars 1 or 2 km or more develops of stop start crap.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post