Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2017, 07:00 PM   #31
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Default Re: The Mustang (Sales) Effect

I had another look at Mustang pricing seeing as there seems to be some confusion over the price of the Mustang GT.

On Ford's build your own website, a red Mustang GT is about $65,000 drive away.

However on Carsales dealers are charging up to $80,000 for the same car!!!

I think sales will tank pretty soon if buyers think they are getting ripped off.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2017, 07:14 PM   #32
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
I had another look at Mustang pricing seeing as there seems to be some confusion over the price of the Mustang GT.

I think sales will tank pretty soon if buyers think they are getting ripped off.
It is simple - you can order one at 65k and wait 6months or have one now for 80k. In reverse unsold Focus from say early 2016 will be substantially under RRP.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #33
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

There's confusion on your part I think.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #34
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
It is simple - you can order one at 65k and wait 6months or have one now for 80k. In reverse unsold Focus from say early 2016 will be substantially under RRP.
If it was a concert ticket these people are called scalpers,do it in the car business and they are investors or speculators. If you can't wait 6 months and pay a 15k premium then it's everyone's choice I guess,personally not for me.

I reckon good ol Poida is a good example of top level boganhood!!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vpS31FJO8_o

Last edited by XByoot; 07-02-2017 at 07:40 PM.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2017, 08:04 PM   #35
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

62990 for my GT Mustang. Great value imo.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #36
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I find it quite interesting that on a dedicated "Ford" forum there are so many people willing to tear down Fords effort in achieving segment leadership with Mustang, especially after a tuff decade of sales decline.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2017, 08:57 PM   #37
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post
There's confusion on your part I think.
I don't think I am confused, just befuddled!
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #38
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post
The Mustang price is very good !
I agree, I have no issues with the price. Relative to everything else in Aus its great.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2017, 10:23 PM   #39
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Pretty easy to explain

Lots of Bogans bought Mustang that would have previously bought a FPV or if the mustang was not released may have bought nothing.

Yes none would have bought a BMW, or MX5 or Hyundai.

Also Mustang is V8 and not in the same category as the above mentioned

Kinda like comparing am FPV to a Toyota Camry yeah they both have 4 doors but that's about the only thing in common.
Isn't the proper term cashed up bogan......
Old 07-02-2017, 10:37 PM   #40
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
If it was a concert ticket these people are called scalpers,do it in the car business and they are investors or speculators. If you can't wait 6 months and pay a 15k premium then it's everyone's choice I guess,personally not for me.

I reckon good ol Poida is a good example of top level boganhood!!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vpS31FJO8_o

Concert ticket is maybe not a good example as you if you missed out on a ticket for a concert there is no option to buy another one at RRP and see the band in 6 months time.
On surface of it selling a car above RRP does not seem a very moral thing to do but when you think about it any time when there is restricted supply and high demand prices go up. Once demand dries up (if it does) maybe we will be able to walk in and buy a Mustang at a discount.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2017, 10:50 PM   #41
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Concert ticket is maybe not a good example as you if you missed out on a ticket for a concert there is no option to buy another one at RRP and see the band in 6 months time.
On surface of it selling a car above RRP does not seem a very moral thing to do but when you think about it any time when there is restricted supply and high demand prices go up. Once demand dries up (if it does) maybe we will be able to walk in and buy a Mustang at a discount.
Ok, how about aeroplane flight tickets as an example.

You buy ahead of time and do your research you can find cheap flights. You walk into an airport and buy tickets to fly today and you pay ridiculously high prices. You can wait and fly in 3 months time for cheaper, or pay what they want to fly today.

Who knows if it's 'moral'. But if a buyer is happy to pay above rrp then who is anyone else to deny them that right? If the buyer thought it was a rip off yet still buys, then... stupid buyer.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2017, 10:07 AM   #42
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I find it quite interesting that on a dedicated "Ford" forum there are so many people willing to tear down Fords effort in achieving segment leadership with Mustang, especially after a tuff decade of sales decline.

Please point a post that is tearing down Fords effort on the mustang in achieving sales success?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #43
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

I bought an MX5. Love it. Cross shopped it against the Golf GTI and a few others including the Mustang.
May have bought a Mustang is not for the wait and if the build quality of the Cabriolet had of grabbed the Mrs a little more. Bought an RS5 instead , entirely different category but was prepared to give Mustang a look in.
Overall the Mustang lost out in two purchases due to wait times and design issues with the Cabriolet.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #44
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

The conversations I have had with workshops they are seeing a whole new clientele, some of which would have never considered buying a Ford before.
Rob Herrod gets his Mustangs direct from Ford Racing in the US and there seeing doctors, lawyers, sports stars, race car etc drivers and some of which would normally drive a Audi, Porsche and higher end brand models are happy to shell out $87k for a 440rwkw Mustang with the works, they moved approx 80 of these ADR compliant units.
Also talking with Autoech there seeing a more older customer doing modifications to there Mustangs.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #45
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

And I think that might be the sweet spot right there Spoolman, bang for your buck
The design isnt quite there and the build isnt quite there but for a bang for your buck toy it cannot be touched at the moment. It has zero competition
Old 08-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #46
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
The conversations I have had with workshops they are seeing a whole new clientele, some of which would have never considered buying a Ford before.
Rob Herrod gets his Mustangs direct from Ford Racing in the US and there seeing doctors, lawyers, sports stars, race car etc drivers and some of which would normally drive a Audi, Porsche and higher end brand models are happy to shell out $87k for a 440rwkw Mustang with the works, they moved approx 80 of these ADR compliant units.
Also talking with Autoech there seeing a more older customer doing modifications to there Mustangs.
There's a lot in that, I was talking to a bloke this morning who bought one instead of an Audi A5 coupe

It'll be interesting if they retain those customers, surely an owner that previously owned Porsche Audi or Merc, will expect similar quality and may revert back to Euro when upgrading if expectation wasn't met. the reason being most would have bough without doing a test drive having waited 10 months.......bloke above has been waiting since April and picks it up next week

I need to visit a Ford dealer and take one for a spin...
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2017, 05:38 PM   #47
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I need to visit a Ford dealer and take one for a spin...
Or rent one from Hertz
Old 08-02-2017, 06:00 PM   #48
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
There's a lot in that, I was talking to a bloke this morning who bought one instead of an Audi A5 coupe

It'll be interesting if they retain those customers, surely an owner that previously owned Porsche Audi or Merc, will expect similar quality and may revert back to Euro when upgrading if expectation wasn't met.
These guys are spending far far less than what they would have on there previous purchases, I cant say where there expectations are but from a performance point their getting outstanding value for there performance dollar.
So are us guys who paid $65 to $85K for an F6 or GT for the last 10 plus years.

6 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2017, 06:32 PM   #49
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
These guys are spending far far less than what they would have on there previous purchases, I cant say where there expectations are but from a performance point their getting outstanding value for there performance dollar.
So are us guys who paid $65 to $85K for an F6 or GT for the last 10 plus years.
I paid 25 for my Typhoon Rspec....

I agree, but it really depends on how the mustang will keep...seen it on this forum, people will buy the cheapest bit of kit then complain when it does not perform or last like one double the price.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #50
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT View Post
And I think that might be the sweet spot right there Spoolman, bang for your buck
The design isnt quite there and the build isnt quite there but for a bang for your buck toy it cannot be touched at the moment. It has zero competition
There are some stunning designs out there.

3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2017, 07:21 PM   #51
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:

Nice.

Lowered on a set of fat rims and it would be a stunner.

Plus the cone of silence would be just perfect for the Mrs.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #52
SpoolMan

Quote:
There always has been, to bad they never make it to the retail market and then affordable to Australia.

Quote:

$65k for an auto, $62,500 manual if you order and wait your turn, if you dont want to wait you pay however deep your pocket is..

Last edited by SpoolMan; 08-02-2017 at 09:19 PM.
7 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #53
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
remember Mustang doesn't wear the Ford Badge.

But I have often though Ford need to have a marquee car to change its perception. even now they have nothing that would attract the Luxury car Tax
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2017, 04:39 PM   #54
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Wouldn't the Everest? Or do you mean car, not SUV?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2017, 05:11 PM   #55
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be honest I thought it was $100K, but I see its only $75K which would put Everest Titanium up there, along with some of the Mustangs and leftover sprints some dealers are asking premiums for.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #56
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
remember Mustang doesn't wear the Ford Badge.
The new models carry the ford oval on the windscreen.

6 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2017, 10:51 PM   #57
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's not a badge
Old 11-02-2017, 09:29 AM   #58
SpoolMan

I didn't say it was a badge, a badge on our windscreen wouldn't look appropriate and no badge on the the car keeps it looking clean and smooth lines.
It does however carry the Ford Oval Logo the exact same logo on every Ford that is manufactured around the world.
As for clutching on to straws, lol the only thing I clutch on to is this.

7 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #59
Stang3807
Starter Motor

Quote:
I didn't say it was a badge, a badge on our windscreen wouldn't look appropriate and no badge on the the car keeps it looking clean and smooth lines.
It does however carry the Ford Oval Logo the exact same logo on every Ford that is manufactured around the world.
Very nice!
Stang3807 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #60
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There is no Ford badge (or logo) on my Mustang. Mine has the galloping horse where your one has the Ford oval logo.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: