Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-06-2016, 12:22 AM   #31
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Is it simply better to buy NEW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
Don't buy from southside mitsi...
Yeah, I did say "MOST new car sales people were better"
Southside are the exception, bunch of floggers.
Old 15-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #32
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New is probably a good option. But I drove Falcons for years and would buy a good 2 year old second hand car for less than a third of the new price.

Corollas and lancers would hold their value much better making buying used less viable.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #33
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Until recently I had cars from family members, and only when one was written off did I go buying.

I didn't have enough for any new car, although the loan on top of my pay out wouldn't have been too onerous for a base model hatch or something.

Second hand I paid on eftpos and got myself a G6E. Yes, a lot of kms, but still drives like a dream. So far have replaced some bushes and a brake light switch. There's now a few cosmetic things, but I think I did alright. Second hand isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I am hoping to keep this for a good few years, and now I just got laid off definitely not in the market for a new car. I think if I land a permanent contract I might consider one though. Probably salary sacrifice.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #34
Philaddis

On the flip side of the new car argument, I've just managed to pick up a 12 month old Touareg with 30k's on it.
Extended the NCW for a further 2 years giving me four years.
All up, in my garage for at least 12k less than I could pick up a brand newy with only 3 years NCW.

This buying model has worked for me for the last three cars I've bought and has saved me 35-40k over the last 8 years. Not small biscuits.

In the end, do your maths and see what works best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sprint 16's
Ghia Interior
AUIII XR8 Windsor
T-56 6 sp
3.7:1's
258.6 rwhp
Philaddis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #35
F6RCD

Recently bought my first and probably last brand new car, a VF 2 redline. Got it on finance, 5% interest and got an employee discount on it. Probably not in an ideal position to buy new right now but last chance for an Aussie car so thought why not. It makes me happy and I'm not planning on getting rid of it.
F6RCD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #36
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philaddis View Post
On the flip side of the new car argument, I've just managed to pick up a 12 month old Touareg with 30k's on it.
All up, in my garage for at least 12k less than I could pick up a brand newy with only 3 years NCW.

This buying model has worked for me for the last three cars I've bought and has saved me 35-40k over the last 8 years. Not small biscuits.

Depending on the model Touareg can be a 100k car. 12k is not a huge saving for a car that has covered 30k in a year. History of a such a complex car is important - possibly a country commuter or (hope not) a press car?
Some just prefer to spend a bit extra and start from new. I either buy new or at least 3yo used to get benefit of depreciation. 1yo is just too close to new price.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #37
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

There is money to be saved buying pre-owened and I have done the same as you, but you have to be very careful with the maths and look at it from a couple of angles.

This is what I ask myself:

So with the 12 grand difference, is that the best price on a new one including dealer discounts and factory incentives?

Also how are the tyres, are they due for a new set? On a car like a Toureg they can be pretty expensive - like 1,500 to 2 grand.

Does it need a major service? New brake pads etc? Are you entitled to more capped priced services on the new car.

Does it have a full 12 months rego like a new car or is it less?

How are the finance and insurance rates compared used to new?

What will the future resale be, you may spend more on a new one but it will be worth a bit more down the track being a year newer and 30,000km less. It may be worth another 3 or so grand - especially if there has been a mild update to the car.

In your case 12 grand is a lot of money! So you will definitely come out ahead with the pre-owned but in the past for me its been hit or miss with some cars - especially cheaper cars! In some cases it may be worth considering new especially at the cheaper end of the market or on cars with decent resale like a Prado or some Subarus.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #38
Sioso
irregular member

I will usually buy a demo model instead of new if the option is available, I'm never big on any of the options and colour isn't that important to me.
I always save many $$$$'s of dollars, still get the warranty and figure it couldn't have been driven any harder than I plan on doing to it.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #39
Philaddis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Depending on the model Touareg can be a 100k car. 12k is not a huge saving for a car that has covered 30k in a year. History of a such a complex car is important - possibly a country commuter or (hope not) a press car?

Some just prefer to spend a bit extra and start from new. I either buy new or at least 3yo used to get benefit of depreciation. 1yo is just too close to new price.

If you're going to buy second hand you have to be prepared to wait for the right car to come along, which I always am.

In this instance, I've bought a vehicle from a large country VW dealer which was bought from there and has been owned by a local businessman doing trips to the big smoke.

If you think 12k is not a significant amount of money then you're made of richer stuff than I am. Good on you.
Add in the added security of an extra 12 months of NCW and I'm a happy camper.

As for the k's, my missus is lucky to do 10-15k a year. So in four years when we move it on it'll have done below average to average k's.

When time come for me to retire and I have the 10-15k per vehicle saving bursting a hole in the side of my boat fund wallet, I'll be even happier. All the while having been driving near new, low k, fully optioned luxury cars under the cover of NCW.

Like I said originally, do your maths and do what works for you. Me? I'm confident my maths works.

Sprint 16's
Ghia Interior
AUIII XR8 Windsor
T-56 6 sp
258.6 rwhp
Old 15-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #40
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I was looking at a top of the range Touareg second hand, with everything, the V10 the 10k optional suspension package and the whole gamut, 140k car when new. Was in a car yard for 42k four years old and around 95,000km, pretty clean.

Rang a mate that was a VW dealer interstate and he told me to run a mile, and that they sell them on to wholesalers and they only end up with them at all if they are making a great deal on someone trading in to something new, then they offload them to wholesalers ASAP as they are not game at running the statutory warranty risk on them and that any tiny thing going wrong is megabucks, and things go wrong a lot. And that is from a long time VW dealer...
Old 15-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #41
Philaddis

Default Is it simply better to buy NEW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
There is money to be saved buying pre-owened and I have done the same as you, but you have to be very careful with the maths and look at it from a couple of angles.

This is what I ask myself:

So with the 12 grand difference, is that the best price on a new one including dealer discounts and factory incentives?

Also how are the tyres, are they due for a new set? On a car like a Toureg they can be pretty expensive - like 1,500 to 2 grand.

Does it need a major service? New brake pads etc? Are you entitled to more capped priced services on the new car.

Does it have a full 12 months rego like a new car or is it less?

How are the finance and insurance rates compared used to new?

What will the future resale be, you may spend more on a new one but it will be worth a bit more down the track being a year newer and 30,000km less. It may be worth another 3 or so grand - especially if there has been a mild update to the car.

In your case 12 grand is a lot of money! So you will definitely come out ahead with the pre-owned but in the past for me its been hit or miss with some cars - especially cheaper cars! In some cases it may be worth considering new especially at the cheaper end of the market or on cars with decent resale like a Prado or some Subarus.

All valid points but this not being my first rodeo, I've factored in all those things...... Finance is not a consideration and insurance is line ball. Tyres were negotiated to be replaced with new OEM. Car has full FSH and has just been done. Rego from interstate is being refunded and works out a few hundred $'s out of pocket to me.

I should also mention that 12k is the saving on a 2015 model. If looking at a MY16 BRAND new car, the saving moves closer to 18k.

Every way I look at it, it's a win.

Sprint 16's
Ghia Interior
AUIII XR8 Windsor
T-56 6 sp
258.6 rwhp

Last edited by Philaddis; 15-06-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 15-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #42
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
If you're going to buy second hand you have to be prepared to wait for the right car to come along, which I always am.
We have a winner folks.

Last week I bought a Calais V with 10kms (yes, ten kms) - had been registered for 4 days - for $11,000 less than "new" price.

Have been looking on and off since xmas but patience wins out.

When I bought my G6E it was $8000 less than new with 1500kms on it.

If you need a car "now" you do what you have to do. If you have the luxury of time, the options increase.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #43
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post
We have a winner folks.

Last week I bought a Calais V with 10kms (yes, ten kms) - had been registered for 4 days - for $11,000 less than "new" price.

Have been looking on and off since xmas but patience wins out.

When I bought my G6E it was $8000 less than new with 1500kms on it.

If you need a car "now" you do what you have to do. If you have the luxury of time, the options increase.
Just out of curiosity, what was the new price?

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #44
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
I will usually buy a demo model instead of new if the option is available, I'm never big on any of the options and colour isn't that important to me.
I always save many $$$$'s of dollars, still get the warranty and figure it couldn't have been driven any harder than I plan on doing to it.
You wouldn't want the ones I drive. When I recently purchased my XR8 it was jump in drive out the yard and floor it. The engine was freezing cold!
When we got back and started talking $$ the salesman said I could have the demo for $2k less than the new one...ah no thanks.

For that reason alone I would never consider a demonstrator.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #45
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintFg View Post
From my car experiences, I think every 20,000km or so a car feels a generation older.
I wouldn't say 20,000kms, that's hardly anything. Well unless it's been utterly thrashed every one of those 20,000kms

At work we had multiple Prado's with 550,000km on them and they mostly drove like new. They were only 2-3 years old and most of those kilometres were highway driving. Kilometres are only a part of the story.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #46
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I wouldn't say 20,000kms, that's hardly anything. Well unless it's been utterly thrashed every one of those 20,000kms

At work we had multiple Prado's with 550,000km on them and they mostly drove like new. They were only 2-3 years old and most of those kilometres were highway driving. Kilometres are only a part of the story.
thats the reason i think all cars should have an hour counter like on machinery
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 02:03 PM   #47
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If buying a high performance car that you plan on keeping for a long time, and you can afford to, buying new is better because you can run it in properly according to your own aesthetic, and change oils to gearbox/transmission and differential very early before the book time, to make sure the early crud and contaminants are removed before premature wear to engine/gearbox/diff.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #48
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Just out of curiosity, what was the new price?
In round figures $54K on road inc 20" Baretta rims

http://www.hsvi.com.au/products/20-x...tta-wheels-ute

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #49
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me it depends on the brand of car and when I eventually get rid of it, some brands hold their value well and when it comes time to eventually sell, they sell easily and for a reasonable return. I bought my 2014 FPV F6 new and my 2016 Holden Colorado new. I also bought a run around car new a KIA Rio Sports, paid $16999 for it in 2012, 4 years later I can't even get less than half that for it and it only has 20K on the clock. Strangely if it was an auto though I could've sold it 6 times already, don't wives and daughters drive manual cars anymore?

If your going to buy a KIA or a Hyundai new then keep them forever as you probably could've leased it cheaper than the loss you cop when you sell it. If your looking down the track for resale value then go new in a brand that is more likely to hold it's value. Or if you don't care about resale then go second hand in Kia or Hyundai.
Old 15-06-2016, 06:10 PM   #50
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

In this instance, I've bought a vehicle from a large country VW dealer which was bought from there and has been owned by a local businessman doing trips to the big smoke.

If you think 12k is not a significant amount of money then you're made of richer stuff than I am. Good on you.
Add in the added security of an extra 12 months of NCW and I'm a happy camper.

As for the k's, my missus is lucky to do 10-15k a year. So in four years when we move it on it'll have done below average to average k's.

When time come for me to retire and I have the 10-15k per vehicle saving bursting a hole in the side of my boat fund wallet, I'll be even happier. All the while having been driving near new, low k, fully optioned luxury cars under the cover of NCW.

Like I said originally, do your maths and do what works for you. Me? I'm confident my maths works.

Let me assure you 12k is significant sum for me :-) . You must have fixed amount allocated for a car purchase to be able to put aside leftover amount and call it savings.Say budget is 90k , you get the car for 75k and call 15k a saving to be used for other stuff. Touareg is a nice car - good luck with it .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 08:42 PM   #51
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know how it works over east, but in WA buying "demos" is for gullible prats.
People are so convinced they are getting a bargain, they don't bother to check around.

Our contract shows a discount off list price of over $4,500. Obviously nobody in Australia is paying full "list price".
The added ploy with so called "demos" is that they whack on a bunch of over-priced accessories; tint, mats, headlight protectors. All to convince somebody what a massive discount they are getting. They show Mr & Mrs Pratt the calculations displaying a $4,000 discount, and it never occurs to them that they could get a better deal negotiating on new, and shopping at SCA. It doesn't work on everyone, but then it doesn't need to.
What was most illuminating was one dealer had a "demo" with around 2,500km on the clock. It had tint, mats, and headlight protectors, that's it. The salesman was able to offer me a lower price on a new car, than his manager would sell the demo for.

As for "waiting" for the right car, I think there are definitely serendipitous times when a peculiar car comes along to fit your peculiar needs. If you keep your peculiar needs hidden from the sales person, it can work out just fine. Doesn't help when your needs are the same as everyone else though.

Different if you're looking for a GT-F, or a Lamborghini. There won't be many on the market. But when you're looking for a 4 cylinder shopping trolley, its like buying canned soup.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #52
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have found in my limited experience that sometimes a car in their holding yard is much more attractive to sell than a demo that had been registered because from a factory incentive perspective the sale has already been 'booked' when it became a demo. While the car in stock gathering dust can be booked against this months targets.

Most demos can be really good deals. I think it probably has been driven well compared to how most of use drive our cars. as I usually drive my own cars worse anyway. Probably would have a better start to life starting as a demo!

Last edited by Brazen; 15-06-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 15-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #53
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Never pay list,we got around 4-5 g off our new 2015 ralliart lancer just by shopping around.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 09:35 PM   #54
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

The best time to buy a new, demo or even used car from sales people in the bigger dealerships is to start shopping and negotiating in the last week of the month.

Usually the sales staff will be chasing to make their budgets and targets, and will be more open to negotiate further and do whatever they can to seal the deal.

Coupled with the following strategy will get you what you want in many cases...

Stand firm in the negotiations as to the price you are prepared to pay and what conditions, accessories or options you want in the deal.

if they say no... Pull out one of your business cards and write your final offer on the back of it, in front of them very calmly, and say something along the following lines...

"Okay, here is my final offer, and my contact details... If you change your mind, give me a call... But don't leave it too long, as I am definitely going to be buying a car this week and have a couple more dealerships to visit".

Then stand up , show that you are prepared to walk, shake hands and leave.

I guarantee that you will get a call in the next few days.

They may not be able to match your final offer, but will comeback with some sales spiel along the lines of... "I've had another chat with my manager / dealer principal, and managed to twist his arm, and we also managed to get a little extra rebate from the manufacturer this month... So we are prepared to do the following deal, etc, etc"
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 11:06 PM   #55
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive bought 2 new cars in the last year...

Ford Dealer - Motorama Ford where awesome when I went in to ask about the MD Mondeo... I really wanted to get one but at the time they where not quite released and they couldn't tell me when I might expect to be able to get one.. I was in dire need of a car at the time and couldn't wait.. The sales man and Sales Manager went above and beyond to try to help me though.

My Mazda - I was pretty open on colour I just knew I wanted the Diesel.. Dealer I went to happened to have a Soul Red Diesel on the Lot and I got $8k off retail quite easily... The diesel (at retail) is $3k or so more than the petrol so most people buy the petrol hence she wanted to do a deal. I gave her a figure, she said "no way will the boss go for it" She went in and he accepted as long as I signed the contract then and their... which I did...

The Wife's CR-V - We knew we wanted the top of the Range (VTI-L) and where looking seriously at a brand new gun metal grey on the lot... The Dealer principal then proceeded to tell us his wife's drive car (demo) was available.. It had less than 1000km on the clock, was the same colour and had the Window Tint, Floor mat's, etc already in it.. The kicker was it was a October 2015 Build and the Brand new one on the lot was September 2015 build (We purchased January this year). We got a killer deal on a car that was barely used by the DP's wife (she was their when we collected and told us she was NOT impressed her husband had sold her car after she had barely had a few weeks...lol) and the wife was happy as larry...

I have found new car sales people are a whole lot better than used car ones.. I don't know why but its what I have found in my last few purchases. Ive had some horror experiences with Used Car ones over the years...

Worst ones in the dealer though are the bloody Ming Moles.. But that's a WHOLE other story/thread...lol

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 11:10 PM   #56
drz250

Nah it simply isn't.
drz250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2016, 12:07 AM   #57
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
For me it depends on the brand of car and when I eventually get rid of it, some brands hold their value well and when it comes time to eventually sell, they sell easily and for a reasonable return. I bought my 2014 FPV F6 new and my 2016 Holden Colorado new. I also bought a run around car new a KIA Rio Sports, paid $16999 for it in 2012, 4 years later I can't even get less than half that for it and it only has 20K on the clock. Strangely if it was an auto though I could've sold it 6 times already, don't wives and daughters drive manual cars anymore?

If your going to buy a KIA or a Hyundai new then keep them forever as you probably could've leased it cheaper than the loss you cop when you sell it. If your looking down the track for resale value then go new in a brand that is more likely to hold it's value. Or if you don't care about resale then go second hand in Kia or Hyundai.
Absolutely right, my Rio I bought for just under 21K, 2 years and only 15 k later I tried to sell it privately for 4 months, not one bite because it was manual. In the end I traded it on a new Hyundai for a family member and took 11k for it on the paperwork.
If you are looking for resale, buy a popular car with auto, youll always find another buyer, but ultimately with any new purchase, your best bet is to keep long term to get your value out of it.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 16-06-2016, 12:51 AM   #58
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I prefer to buy new, and have done so for my last 5 cars. At least I know my seat hasn't been farted on for 20,000 kms plus.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2016, 08:00 AM   #59
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Absolutely right, my Rio I bought for just under 21K, 2 years and only 15 k later I tried to sell it privately for 4 months, not one bite because it was manual. In the end I traded it on a new Hyundai for a family member and took 11k for it on the paperwork.
Off topic, but how did you find your Rio? We had one for a little while, a current shape SI 6 speed manual, and I started not to like it. Felt the fuel economy and power claims didn't match with reality and also felt the engine was designed for 95RON because mine would ping its head off with 91 - even though Kia sold the car as one that only needs regular... Felt like some of these Korean cars are overrated as the Honda Jazz we had previously was a significantly better car in nearly every way.
Old 16-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #60
hootar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IF you can afford it Go New

New cars Should have better safety features then 2nd hand cars.
After all what price do you put on the Mrs and Kids.

If you carnt afford new then updating is a step in the right direction. Especially when it comes to the family.
hootar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post