Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #31
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Vic club rego rule changes

Sounds like tandem trailers prices will be going up in price. And cars only driven on race tracks. Hope that's not the case. Should really be able to at least allow tests on the road before flat out on the track.
Id rather it go back to how it was where you could only drive to meets and for testing.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #32
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

May have to get unreg permits to transport cars to meetings etc. If you put down your trip destination you can drive unreg but covered by tac. You just need an excuse like you are taking it to be looked at by an expert in brakes at your meeting or whatever. Cost is about $30 for a day.
Why do they make things so hard! !!
Old 19-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #33
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Auslandau- You seem to be pretty well informed about it.

Is this going to affect cars already in a club and on club plates, so long as they dont have huge blowers/police magnets to push them into the modified category? As in, my 2 "historic" cars only need their rego renewed now because they are already registered, they don't need to be roadworthied because of the new rules?
Yes it will effect cars on club plates now to some extent.

1. If you have a blower or engine increase of 20% or some other modifications that does not come under "H", either take blower off, decrease power or get it certified by engineer ..... then new RWC with an 'M' plate are required.

2. If you have a car that is already under 'H' but is only mildly modified, you can keep it registered as long as it conforms to the rules of 'H' ...... or run the gauntlet and see if you get picked up. My thinking is, if it is stroked, big exhaust, nice and clean, you 'should' be OK. You do not need to go through the re registration bit again. In other words .......

3, All cars with 'H' plates now ..... and the car is OK to be on those plates, you will not have to do anything

4. If your club has its Club Plate allocation taken away (and there will be a few) ..... you will have to join another club and get a RWC/Engineer report etc.

5. Join a reputable club and long serving club! They need to have photos of front, back, side of car along with RWC when car has applied for plates. This will cover clubs if people then fit blowers or what ever afterwards ......

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 19-05-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

You guys with club rego might need to play it sneaky, keep the outside of the car factory and do all the work to the drivetrain and fly under the radar.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 11:56 PM   #35
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
You guys with club rego might need to play it sneaky, keep the outside of the car factory and do all the work to the drivetrain and fly under the radar.
Yes. The blokes with blowers and shiney bits that are not engineered are the ones that are being hit.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #36
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when exactly is this meant to happen?
Old 20-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #37
EFFalcon
Last warning

Club Permits was never intended to allow highly modified vehicles to be driven on the road.

The same Modification laws were MEANT to apply, however due to the lack of RWC required, almost anything could be let through.

The changes have simply baught it closer inline to Full Rego.

You can't drive a car with blower out the bonnet on Full Reg, unless its engineered and complies with various ADR's. sure, people do. but its not strictly legal.

The same applies to Club Plates.
All they are doing now is simply putting it in writing and making everyone get RWC checks on new applications to ensure less slip through that gap.

CPS is still a worthwhile option on a car thats driven under 90 days a year.
M or H Plate, you still have to jump through the same hoops if the car is fully registered.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #38
EFFalcon
Last warning

Wait until VSI33 is released, that will outline what is considered 'Modified' and require VASS approval.

I'm guessing its inline with the NCOP thats been implemented elsewhere.
Old 20-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #39
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It sounds like Vicroads has deliberately made it so easy to get a club plate.
Now a lot of modified older vehicles have given up their full rego, enjoyed the cheaper club rego for a few years now and BAM!

If a full RWC or Engineers is required for all club cars, alot of these vehicles will struggle to get back onto the club or full rego system.

Sounds very deliberate.
Old 20-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #40
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

As said by EFFalcon, whether on full rego or club rego the rules have always been the same. Problem is the clubs did there own scrutinizing and let too many cars go through without the proper paper work. Now they are saying, enough is enough, and they have to supply a RWC. If it was on full rego or club rego it doesn't matter. Either way if you are driving a car highly modified and it doesn't conform you will now be pinged and cannot hide behind a club plate.

This won't come into effect for quite a few months yet. They haven't released all the details yet on paper but have only informed clubs of their intentions but it is done

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #41
Hulsty

As per some previous posters I do not see the big issue. My club has vehicles on the CPS, mine is one of them. The rules have always been that your vehicle needs to be roadworthy and conform to the VSI's, anything outside the VSI's needs to be engineered. The only really change I see is now all vehicles need a RWC to get on the CPS (our club had mandated this already) and that vehicles that fall outside the VSI's and are engineered have a "M" plate where as previously they were on the normal plate. Outside this you run the gauntlet. Since coming on the the CPS I have done alot of work to get my car all legit, the only non conforming part now days is the tyres are to big, which I am looking at having engineered anyway.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #42
EFFalcon
Last warning

Yep... and to be honest, if you're already on a H Plate, this is realistically no different to already being on full reg.

If you get defected, your in the same boat - Make car legal, get Engineered if required, get RWC - run the gauntlet again.
This user likes this post:
Old 20-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #43
XR8AU2121

I live on a busy road in Melbourne's north and I see the same cruddy cars on "H" plates driving past every single day.

Another rort I see is the use of "unregistered permits". I have lived at my current address for over 2 years and I see on a daily basis the same unregistered cars with "Permits" on the windows being driven around.
XR8AU2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #44
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8AU2121 View Post
I live on a busy road in Melbourne's north and I see the same cruddy cars on "H" plates driving past every single day.

Another rort I see is the use of "unregistered permits". I have lived at my current address for over 2 years and I see on a daily basis the same unregistered cars with "Permits" on the windows being driven around.
Perhaps the dude is actually doing work on it, unregistered permits are not free or cheap for that matter, my young brother used a permit while putting a v8 into little jap wagon that took considerable effort and time and lagitamently had to use permits at cost, it took quite a few trips going to different places to have things fabricated and engineerd........ it was no small undertaking.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #45
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When it gets harder to do the right thing more people do the wrong thing, it's that simple.

The VL might of made a comeback but there's not much point now.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #46
XR8AU2121

I understand that when you drive around only on an "unregistered permit" you don't have to worry about speed/red light cameras or pay tolls.
XR8AU2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #47
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Wouldn't red light cameras still get s shot of the number plate?
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #48
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8AU2121
I understand that when you drive around only on an "unregistered permit" you don't have to worry about speed/red light cameras or pay tolls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
I dunno about other states but in QLD an unregistered vehicle on a permit must not display plates. True about the tolls though, Vincenzo and I moved his BMW around QLD through tolls and never received a bill.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #49
BTTB
Free XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
If you're using an unregistered vehicle permit... You generally don't have any rego plates on the car as the previous owner is required to hand them in to VicRoads when they sell the vehicle

When I bought my ex taxi BA wagon in QLD a few years back I got a 3day permit to drive it back to Vic... No plates, no tolls, didn't even get pulled up by the cops once.

But I digress, I think the changes are for the better... There are too many people rorting the club permit scheme and if you want to modify your car Way beyond standard then why shouldn't it be engineered ?

I want to put some huge Tyres under my XD in the future. I'll be getting that mod engineered just for my own peace of mind... The last thing I want is my rear wheel killing a 4yo child on the side of the road !

Last edited by BTTB; 20-05-2014 at 01:02 PM.
BTTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #50
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In NSW there is no cheap permit scheme for post 48 vehicles that are modified. If you want to drive it, it has to have an engineering cert if it falls outside the allowed modifications criteria in the guidelines. It has to have an annual RWC as do all cars in NSW.

Cars can still be highly modified as long as its done right. If you want historic plates the car has to be essentially standard or at the most, slightly modified with period correct mods. It will still need an annual RWC as do all Hot Rods etc on club plates.

Its not a bad system except for the modified post 48 cars and representations are being made to try and solve this particular issue at the moment.

I support the notion of making all our modified cars legal and roadworthy. Our sport will benefit from this in the long term.

You guys in VIC don't have it too bad and I think moves to weed out the rorters is better done now rather than in ten years time when its completely out of hand and the Govt of the time says enough is enough and cans everything.

Lets be up front about it! All car modifiers seem to have enough of the green stuff to get the latest trick wheels or a top of the line stereo so what's the big deal about another grand or so to get legal and be left alone by the authorities.
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #51
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
Club Permits was never intended to allow highly modified vehicles to be driven on the road.

The same Modification laws were MEANT to apply, however due to the lack of RWC required, almost anything could be let through.

The changes have simply baught it closer inline to Full Rego.

You can't drive a car with blower out the bonnet on Full Reg, unless its engineered and complies with various ADR's. sure, people do. but its not strictly legal.

The same applies to Club Plates.
All they are doing now is simply putting it in writing and making everyone get RWC checks on new applications to ensure less slip through that gap.

CPS is still a worthwhile option on a car thats driven under 90 days a year.
M or H Plate, you still have to jump through the same hoops if the car is fully registered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
As said by EFFalcon, whether on full rego or club rego the rules have always been the same. Problem is the clubs did there own scrutinizing and let too many cars go through without the proper paper work. Now they are saying, enough is enough, and they have to supply a RWC. If it was on full rego or club rego it doesn't matter. Either way if you are driving a car highly modified and it doesn't conform you will now be pinged and cannot hide behind a club plate.

This won't come into effect for quite a few months yet. They haven't released all the details yet on paper but have only informed clubs of their intentions but it is done
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon View Post
Yep... and to be honest, if you're already on a H Plate, this is realistically no different to already being on full reg.

If you get defected, your in the same boat - Make car legal, get Engineered if required, get RWC - run the gauntlet again.
Pretty well sums it all up. The changes make sense really and removes a grey area to ensure modified cars comply properly with the various regulations. The club I'm in required a RWC for me to get the club plates on my car; these changes wont alter anything seeing its unmodified.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #52
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
You cant subject a brand new corolla and an original model t to the same test and expect it to work.
why not? both need working brakes and lights. the only difference between the two is the level of safety equipment (seat belts?), but a Model T only has to comply with the ADR for cars built in 1908-21 (as far as indicators and stuff), at least, that's how it's supposed to work NSW.
Old 20-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #53
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

295 tyres on a coupe requires an engineers certificate
Un ******* believable
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #54
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
why not? both need working brakes and lights. the only difference between the two is the level of safety equipment (seat belts?), but a Model T only has to comply with the ADR for cars built in 1908-21 (as far as indicators and stuff), at least, that's how it's supposed to work NSW.
There was no ADR's between 1908-21 ...... so what have they got to comply with?

There are basic rules that cover indicators and a few other bits and bobs to be registered but not to any ADR's.

Cars of this era are under a different set of rules .....

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 20-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #55
olds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Club reg is only for people who are too tight *** to pay full reg .
olds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #56
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds View Post
Not really, why pay over $700 a year if the car is only driven 10 or 15 times? My car on club plates has only been driven 4 times since last December, which is the normal usage for that car since I bought it 18 years ago. Each year I paid the full registration, I certainly was not getting my moneys worth.

Also a friend has a collection of about 18 cars, plus his 2 dailys. That would cost him over $14,000 per year if they were on full registration. He would use each car probably about 5 times each year if that.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2014, 11:31 PM   #57
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds View Post
Really?

Club reg is only for people who are too smart to pay full reg.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #58
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Not really, why pay over $700 a year if the car is only driven 10 or 15 times? My car on club plates has only been driven 4 times since last December, which is the normal usage for that car since I bought it 18 years ago. Each year I paid the full registration, I certainly was not getting my moneys worth.

Also a friend has a collection of about 18 cars, plus his 2 dailys. That would cost him over $14,000 per year if they were on full registration. He would use each car probably about 5 times each year if that.
Whats the point of having a car if you are only going to drive it 10/15 times a year? Thats not really enjoying it.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2014, 03:24 AM   #59
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post

Not against people having club rego good luck to them but if some one who has a collection of 18 or more cars surely must be able to afford the costs associated to the hobby regardless how often the cars are used.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #60
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Whats the point of having a car if you are only going to drive it 10/15 times a year? Thats not really enjoying it.
So by that logic, driving a Camry to work everyday in heavy traffic is "enjoying" your car? I'd rather drive something interesting, somewhere interesting 15 times a year .. it would be significantly more "enjoyable".

Anyway .. I was always fascinated about club permit systems for some clubs. I have a stock LHD '74 car and needed a VASS to get it full rego. I see many, many obviously non-stock LHD cars even newer than mine - without fundamental ADR requirements - on club permit which I'm told needed no VASS-type inspection because the club inspected them. Seems odd as effective the "permit" still requires the vehicle to be roadworthy within Victorian laws.

My motorbike club currently allow internal inspection (inspector is approved RWC inspector anyway), but they will refuse to inspect any modified bike and request the owner has an independant RWC done. A lot of it is to not only cover the club, but the inspector themselves. If they pass something obviously not RWC and something happens I'm wondering how liable (even under club incorporation) that inspector may be?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: