Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #31
robbyj
Rob

Default Re: Spider in the car!

huntsman are generally 'harmless' and kill cockroaches and all those nasty insects. Although you dont wanna come between the female and her eggs, they can get a bit aggressive then!

(no wonder cancer is such a common thing.. everyone bug bombing their cars! honestly these chemicals kills all the little nastys, not enough to kill a human obviously but it cant be good for you)
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #32
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could do what I did, get a plastic spider and pin hole through the middle. Put a piece of cotton through the hole. Tie the other end of the cotton to the rear view mirror. Put the sun visor up and put the spider on the sun visor. When your passenger pulls the visor down the spider falls. HAHAHAHA. Did this in my old Cortina.

At least it is only a spider. My mate last night was in a Hungry Jacks drive through and a massive rat walked passed his car.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #33
Drizz06
XR50th

Haha this thread is a classic, I'm not a fan of spiders but if collecting it and putting it outside means i can go back to sleep and make the wife stop screaming then i'm okay with that.
My brother on the other hand is absolutely terrified of them and after finding one in his work bomb he refused to drive it for about 2 weeks.
Hehe we still play the occasional prank with a plastic spider everyone and again to keep him on his toes
Runabout- 1997 XH longreach in white.
Project- 1976 ZH fairlane 500
Drizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #34
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually huntsmen are from the terrantular family and they have good poisens and neuro toxins, just to scare you lol but there not interested in biting humans.

But they have good temperate and dont attack unless female as robby said.

there favorite foe is the white tail, they are roamers and dont have permanite homes.

I had one on my motorbike tank once ,freaking me out.

daddy long legs are more deadly than huntsmans, in spider terms.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #35
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many years ago I was driving my old XY and looked right to see a huntsman on my drivers door window. AH! Then I realised it was inside! AAAHHHH!

I opened the door as I took the curve in the road (80k zone) and held it open with my foot. The car decelerated and I moved to the left lane and then to a stop.
I may have hit a few cars at this point, I'm not sure. :-)

Spider stayed put.
Like a hero I crawled out the passenger door.
By the time I get around to the drivers door it had disappeared.
Never saw it again.
I wont guess how long I took to get up the nerve to get back in the drivers seat, but I was definitely late for work that morning.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #36
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA View Post
She was in there head down bum up for a good 10 minutes
So you pick up girls and get them into your favourite position with the old spider trick eh, good one half your luck!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #37
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

go for a drive for around 10 minutes at least
after the drive open the boot and it will most likely be between the boot channel and the quarter panel . . . spiders are like us, they don't like 100kph wind hitting them either. it will go to that area to escape the wind
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #38
Djrystofer

I had this happen to me once, was on the way to a get together, stuffed with 2 other blokes in the back of a Fairmont, I was pushed right up against the window then all of a sudden I realize there's a huge shadow coming in from the window.

Took my shoe off, opened the door (at about 80k's) and started hammering the window.
Spidey fell off, but not outside the car.

I felt something crawl on my leg for the rest of that 5 minute trip,
I thought I wasn't going to make it out alive.
Djrystofer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #39
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djrystofer View Post
I had this happen to me once, was on the way to a get together, stuffed with 2 other blokes in the back of a Fairmont, I was pushed right up against the window then all of a sudden I realize there's a huge shadow coming in from the window.

Took my shoe off, opened the door (at about 80k's) and started hammering the window.
Spidey fell off, but not outside the car.

I felt something crawl on my leg for the rest of that 5 minute trip,
I thought I wasn't going to make it out alive.
Did you die?

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #40
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, have actual field data.
Get a noodle container, keep it handy.
A few years ago, had an AUII Forte (hello ladies!) which was parked under a tree.
On the way to work (5am) a similar 150mm specimen crawled across the outside of the windscreen at a set of lights - very disconcerting.
An hour later, on a divided carriageway(freeway-esque, no breakdown lane etc) 'Incy' appears ON THE STEERING WHEEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He's lapping round and round and round, i'm changing form 10-2 hand grip to knee-grip, exactly 180deg out of phase with the blighter......at 100kmh.
Finally, there's room to pull over, grab the noodle container and flick him into the bush.
No killing, no biting, no more scary AU (except for the interior design).
problem is, you won't know where you won't know when..........

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #41
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Might as well just torch the car just to be sure. What if it laid it's eggs and then in a week's time there's a thousand of them. You might just be having a bit of an old nap and then bam, a spider baby crawls into your ear while you're sleeping. It lives there for a while feasting on ear wax until it grows up and begins eating your brain from inside your skull. The doctors won't be able to help you and it could have all been avoided by just torching the car in a paddock.

Actually, maybe bug spray might work better, or some of the other suggestions.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #42
Djrystofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661 View Post
Did you die?
Funeral is tomorrow
Old 13-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #43
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 weeks ago I was putting my bag in the boot for work and I see a huntsman around the boot rim. Found a stick nearby and try to encourage it off the car. It decided to wander around from one side of the boot to the other before I got a chance to flick it off.

Who knows how long it has been there, hope I never see one on my car again.

Apparently if they bite you they will make you sick and that is all. Still not nice, I hate the friggin things.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #44
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
2 weeks ago I was putting my bag in the boot for work and I see a huntsman around the boot rim
that is where you will virtually always find them, certainly after a drive - out of the wind

they run around the car looking for food when it is parked, but once mobile, they generally head to that area
Old 13-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #45
mildxe

this one was in the house mrs made me chuck it outside
mildxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #46
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67 View Post
that is where you will virtually always find them, certainly after a drive - out of the wind

they run around the car looking for food when it is parked, but once mobile, they generally head to that area

The car had been parked in the garage for about 12 hours, he might of been a bit lost.

That area of my car always seams to get leaves and other stuff from trees in it, so small spiders and other bugs probably end up in there after falling with the leaves.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #47
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
The car had been parked in the garage for about 12 hours, he might of been a bit lost.

That area of my car always seams to get leaves and other stuff from trees in it, so small spiders and other bugs probably end up in there after falling with the leaves.
they may have a home base while they are not looking for food - it won't be a co-incidence that you found yours in the same place i have found all of mine
Old 13-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #48
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Two quick huntsman stories.

1976, Starlight Drive Inn Canberra, midnight horrors. Drac is creeping up on this girl about to bite her when Huntsman walks out of air vent up the inside of windscreen. I scream, young lady beside me snuggled up screams cause I scream and digs fingernails into my leg. I scream again. Both jump from car, mate next door goes in and flicks spider out ....... right between my legs and I learnt how to Mexican hat dance very quickly.

1998 - Darwin, lounge room, spider appears on floor. I casually get up and place a 2 litre empty ice-cream container on spider. Container continues to move over floor. Book is then placed on container. Rang Parks and Wildlife to come and remove said spider. Described spider size and colour and they laughed at me. They arrived took book off container and watched it move then looked at it and said "Huntsman". started walking away then came back and looked again. Could potentially be a new breed - Huntsman / Mouse Spider cross, waiting to hear from the boffins.

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #49
Falcman0o7
Banned

Funny thread I was moving a pallet at work and came across a big one, I put him in my mates paper work as a nice surprise for when he got back from lunch! lol! Didn't faze him and he threw it on my fork where it then went under the seat! I had 2 hours to get my jobs done....
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #50
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Living in the country chopping wood you kind of lose your fear of spiders. They're everywhere. I've had one on the visor drop on my lap. Worst spider incident was last week when mowing the lawn. Threw on a set of long pants because there's been a few browns about. Five minutes into mowing I get bitten a few inches from the balls by a redback.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #51
Djrystofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
Living in the country chopping wood you kind of lose your fear of spiders. They're everywhere. I've had one on the visor drop on my lap. Worst spider incident was last week when mowing the lawn. Threw on a set of long pants because there's been a few browns about. Five minutes into mowing I get bitten a few inches from the balls by a redback.
I was under the assumption being bitten by a redback wasn't exactly a 'walk it off' sort of thing?
Old 14-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #52
Drizz06
XR50th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djrystofer View Post
I was under the assumption being bitten by a redback wasn't exactly a 'walk it off' sort of thing?
I think it depends on how quickly you receive medical help.
A good friend of my old man got bitten while driving his XY and didn't know what it was.
About 48hrs later they had to restart his heart and it took about 3-4 months for him to recover.
Runabout- 1997 XH longreach in white.
Project- 1976 ZH fairlane 500
Drizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #53
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Redbacks(black widow family) wont kill you, just make you very very sick.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #54
Dusty1
Giddy up!

One said hello to me when I dropped the misses off at work. I was in a rented Magna station wagon. He was in the vent bit on the passengers window. Got to work taped it up (he had most likely gone by then) took it back to the rental place and they freaked out. I got another car.

When I was younger, I took my first car, HT Kingswood - not Belmont, to Bendigo. It was summer, parked it in the midday sun with all windows up while we went to have a beer.

Came out a couple of hours later. There were about 20 spiders all hanging dead, from their bums with webs. Must have gotten bloody hot in that car, even though it had plenty of holes in the floor. Was like a spider chandelier.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #55
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Ahh huntsmans, had a few on the cars over the years. Luckily never inside.

Most memorable is when I was filling up at a servo. Woman parked at the pump diagnally in front of me asked me over to get the huntsman off her car (outside). I flick it off with the winscreen squeegy thing and it dissapears. Looked all around under the back of her car and nothing.

Then about 2 days later I'm getting out of my car at the gym and I notice a huntsman in the door jam in front of the front door (where it swings). Little bugger had run from her car to mine at the servo. Fortunately (or unfortunately for the spider) it had been sqashed by the front edge of the opening door at some point. Can tell you it took some cleaning to get all of its guts out of the awkward door jam area.

Only inside the car spider story I have is one day driving to work in my old EA a small black thing drops from the visor into my lap. I can tell you I quickly pulled over and jumped out! Ended up being a screw that fell out of the visor lol.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #56
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661 View Post
Need to see these photos.

I would have just bailed while the car was moving. That's an every man for himself moment.
Taken forever to find it and here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tiger Snake.jpg (80.5 KB, 182 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #57
calmeister
sideways forever

Getting a chuckle out of this thread, insect bombs, insurance jobs LOL.
I got stuck driving the Minister for War & Finances Escape for 2 weeks when she found 1 in her car. I didn't tell her that my XR6 has always been a popular drop in centre for these fellas. She was straight back in her own car when she saw one run under the front guard one day. Honestly they dont bother me, whitetails, funnelwebs, redbacks well they're a different matter!

BA MkII XR6 Shockwave
BF MkII XR6 manual 6sp Vixen
In the garage
79' Rx7s1
calmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #58
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

I'm real brave when it comes to spiders!

One dark rainy night i was driving down a leafy street (where trees on both sides meet) and there happened to be a large spider hanging from the tree right in the middle of the road, the spider was that low and big that I saw it coming at me and I thought 'i'm gonna collect him, and he's gonna end up on my car' we almost looked each other in the eyes as he collided with my windscreen, and proceeded to frantically run around all over it and disappeared. I freaked!

Ten minutes of very nervous driving later I was at a car wash and after spending 10 bucks on the high pressure wash, it finally ended up coming out of some nook and I quickly blasted it into oblivion with a dose of the nozzle
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #59
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT View Post
Taken forever to find it and here it is.
Yeah...

Nah.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #60
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

If I ever, EVER see a snake in my car when driving, hell will need to freeze over 4 times, Gillard will have to say "Sorry, I did lie", and a Great Wall car will need to win car of the year before I ever get back in the car!

Like most have a spider story to tell, but I'll f'it up and not make it funny. Suffice it to say, my best mate is a big bloke, prison guard but arachnophobic. He fell asleep in the back on my ex-g/f car and woke up with a huntsman on his face. He panicked, started yelling, we pulled over (we were in a 85 celica) he was that worked up, he ripped the front passangers seat top back rest off to get out to the car because he had both of us to panicked we didn't know what was going on as he was yelling at the top of his voice to GET OUT OF THE *** CAR! GET OUT OF THE ** CAR! over and over and over, we forgot to slide the front seat forward to get him out.

We had to give him valium to calm him down, or admit him to the emergency room at a local hospital.

Hers
BFII Ghia

Last edited by GQ_Smooth; 14-12-2012 at 03:24 PM.
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post