Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #31
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: My Omega Experience

The Omega I drove for a while was an 06 or an 07 so it had the standard V6 and 4 speed auto in it. Whilst I would say that it was marginally screwed together better than the Falcon it had a nice steering feel but the 3.6 V6 and 4 speed auto combo was woeful and you noticed it. It also pinged its box off.

For me if I was a buyer, that engine and trans combo would be a total deal breaker if I was looking at a Commodore.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #32
Hulsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Wow, they STILL don't have split/fold rear seats????
And i thought my list was down to 'fuel filler on the wrong side' and 'why do they insist on using strut front ends' and 'why aren't the electric window switches on the doors'
I am pretty sure the reason for no split fold rear seat is that the Commodore is/was sold in the world market and to meet North American safety standards the fuel tank was moved from the boot floor to be more up behind the rear seats.

Earlier commodores had the center seat fold down to allow carrying of long items.

My mums Mitsubishi Lancer has a totally solid rear seat, no fuel tank behind it either, stupid design I reckon.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #33
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

The lack of split fold rear seat. GMHolden have long said it was to do with structural integrity. I read about 2 weeks ago in a review (where that was escapes me), that the decision has in fact been about cost cutting alone...

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #34
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsty
I am pretty sure the reason for no split fold rear seat is that the Commodore is/was sold in the world market and to meet North American safety standards the fuel tank was moved from the boot floor to be more up behind the rear seats.

Earlier commodores had the center seat fold down to allow carrying of long items.

My mums Mitsubishi Lancer has a totally solid rear seat, no fuel tank behind it either, stupid design I reckon.

The center seat still does fold down..its just not 60/40
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #35
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Maybe I should purposefully get hold of an FG and nitpick that to bits and see how many people I get crying about it.
Like you would be the first.....AFF bagging the Falcon is now a sport on here. But criticise another make and your one eyed.
Old 28-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #36
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I seem to recall the boot opener being placed in the glove box, being because the glove box can be locked with a key; and the boot can thus become a protected area of the car.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #37
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda
I seem to recall the boot opener being placed in the glove box, being because the glove box can be locked with a key; and the boot can thus become a protected area of the car.
Not if i can just fold down the rear seats to gain access

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #38
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Or you can just do a ford an not provide power to the boot release button if you don't have a key in or recently in
Old 28-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #39
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Not sure about B and F series Falcons, but my good old AU wagon won't let me open the rear gate with the release button if the car has been off for a while, that is with the keys removed.

So, I park the car at the local shopping centre and know that if some low life decides to go for a lookie in the back, they won't get in there with the boot release. Good design I reckon. The perspex cargo barrier just seals the deal! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #40
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure it was originally a security idea in the early days (1980's); and it may have since become the default or legacy location for the Commodore since.

There also used to be a separate 'service key' IIRC, which openly opened the main locks/ignition; but not the glove box or boot. You gave that key to someone who you didn't completely trust, no doubt.

Yep, the Falcon system is easier/simpler/better either way.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #41
almostsane

I'm just not a fan of the interior of the commies, new or old... i can't really comment on the newer stuff, but I found that my friends older Commie (the equivalent to an EA falcon, not sure of the models etc with holdens.) was really uncomfortable to ride in, specially compared to my old EA falcon. It wouldn’t be far to compare it against my XR50.
Old 29-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #42
kinksta
Luxojet

My mate has just bought a VE Omega, and put some nice 16 inch rims on it. He isn't a car enthusiast, but loves his car. He looked at other cars in the price range but there wasn't anything else that interested him and he is super happy with it.

I have been in it quite a few times and it is a good car for what it is made to do.
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #43
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Well yesterday to my suprise I found myself driving a goods supplier of ours SV6 with 5,***kms on it.
Honestly, 1st thing I noticed was the crappy mirrors on it, but he performance blew me away! For a 3.6L this thing roared! Can easily match any 5.0L standard and believe it really is in a league above the XR6 range.
Though I find the Falcons to handle slightly better, I was truely blown away but its performance in a straight line!

Am I right to say, a solid 14 second car???
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #44
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I just have to say I think this is the most unbaised, factual and informative Holden thread we've ever had on the forums. Good show lads, keep up the good work.
Old 29-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #45
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
if i was running a business the last person i would have test a potential fleet car is a car enthusiast.
One things for sure you will never get an unbiased view from a car enthusiast.
So if you needed brain surgery youd use a dentist would you ? God forbid we would actually have someone who knows what they are talking about involved .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #46
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
So if you needed brain surgery youd use a dentist would you ? God forbid we would actually have someone who knows what they are talking about involved .
stupid comment about brain surgeon and dentist. Both of those jobs require specific qualifications and experience for there jobs.
other then having an interest in cars and being a member here what qualifications/skills do you have that makes you someone who knows what they are talking about?
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #47
Happymate
Starter Motor

Good to see the falcons are so perfect! The boot is just inspirational
Happymate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #48
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
I just have to say I think this is the most unbaised, factual and informative Holden thread we've ever had on the forums. Good show lads, keep up the good work.
I reckon.

Thought I'd get the usual comments but seems very civilised.
Old 30-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #49
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happymate
Good to see the falcons are so perfect! The boot is just inspirational
Negative comment on the boot's non flat floor - is this your second or third post.

Never had to carry a loaded boot and driven a Falcon then ?

Hmmm Flat floor and lower capacity, or contoured floor and greater capacity ?

Most Falcon Drivers call the boot floor an asset, those that have not used it dont like it.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #50
Happymate
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
Negative comment on the boot's non flat floor - is this your second or third post.

Never had to carry a loaded boot and driven a Falcon then ?

Hmmm Flat floor and lower capacity, or contoured floor and greater capacity ?

Most Falcon Drivers call the boot floor an asset, those that have not used it dont like it.

1: Yes. Sorry I am not entitled to make a seemingly harmless comment because its my first or hundredth post.
2: Yes
3: I see your point, but it is an engineering oversight, yet a smart way of making the best use of space available.
4: I didnt like it... And maybe sales reflect a majority thought? Or maybe people think they are not worthy?

I do like falcons, they are quite a handsome car and are surprisingly pleasant to drive, just not one eyed supporters of any manufacturer.
Old 30-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #51
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
1: Yes. Sorry I am not entitled to make a seemingly harmless comment because its my first or hundredth post.
2: Yes
3: I see your point, but it is an engineering oversight, yet a smart way of making the best use of space available.
4: I didnt like it... And maybe sales reflect a majority thought? Or maybe people think they are not worthy?

I do like falcons, they are quite a handsome car and are surprisingly pleasant to drive, just not one eyed supporters of any manufacturer.
Dude your point is understood, sorry to bring up the lack of posts.

I have a good friend who recently switched from being a commodore enthusiast - bagging anything that starts with an F - to a BFII. One of his favourite points about the Falcon is the uneven boot floor.
I told him in advance of the switch he would love it, and he did.

If you always need to carry a flat load, fill the hollows with towels and you will still have a larger boot that the competition (excluding the cavernous 380).

It is not an engineering oversight, it is a design feature.

Sales volumes reflect the success of marketing for volume sales - not necessarily related to the qualities of the car - Otherwise a Commodore is better than a 7-series.
Old 30-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #52
Happymate
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
Dude your point is understood, sorry to bring up the lack of posts.

I have a good friend who recently switched from being a commodore enthusiast - bagging anything that starts with an F - to a BFII. One of his favourite points about the Falcon is the uneven boot floor.
I told him in advance of the switch he would love it, and he did.

If you always need to carry a flat load, fill the hollows with towels and you will still have a larger boot that the competition (excluding the cavernous 380).

It is not an engineering oversight, it is a design feature.

Sales volumes reflect the success of marketing for volume sales - not necessarily related to the qualities of the car - Otherwise a Commodore is better than a 7-series.

Marketing is really annoying these days, dont even like going into it haha. If ford put more effort into their marketing, and simply more of it, it would pay off. Hyundai has got to where they are on marketing.

Actually, I genuinely completely agree with your entire post! I can see what you mean about the design feature, for small items that may roll around? The 380 did not deserve to be discontinued, if they had worked on a few things like the front end heavy feel and lack of visibility in the rear it probably would have gone very well.

The fg's use the volvo front suspension set up dont they? Ford do use the resources they have available very well, I was sorry to hear when they sold volvo because they gave ford alot of good gear, ala xr5's. Same with jaguar, but at least their on the up especially on a global scale.

My apologies though, only having 2 hours sleep last night made me a little snappy.
Old 30-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #53
Deco28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
I resent that. Dental school teaches us brain surgery....
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #54
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
respect
Old 30-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #55
My32Doors

Quote:
Wow, they STILL don't have split/fold rear seats????
And i thought my list was down to 'fuel filler on the wrong side' and 'why do they insist on using strut front ends' and 'why aren't the electric window switches on the doors'
I'm guessing window controls are in the centre console because they are exported as LHD. If I remember correctly Galaxies and such had window controls in the centre console
My32Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #56
Mr Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonfun
I'm guessing window controls are in the centre console because they are exported as LHD. If I remember correctly Galaxies and such had window controls in the centre console
Yes, I suppose that would be one less thing to have to change, keep the same door cards.
But Galaxies were from the 60s where most cars had their switches in the centre console. Electrics in doors? That's preposterous!
Old 30-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #57
My32Doors

Electrics in doors? That's preposterous!

Mmm I see your point!
My32Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #58
kpcart
Banned

I currently drive an EB falcon. if i had to pick a VE commodore or FG Falcon, i would chose commodore. In normal driving, the power and torque is about the same in both cars for most common folk driving from home to work, although i would try to get the 3.6 V6, not the 3.0. The Commodore looks better then the Falcon, the FG just looks like a bad copy of the VE. And the commodore will have better resale. I think both will cost similar in maintenance costs over the years.
The general public must agree as falcon sales are down 44 percent this year. The falcon has a good engine and gearbox, but not a world of difference in performance to the VE engine and gearbox to 99% of the population who drive normal speeds from point a to b. the only people who know ford has a better driveline are ford enthusiasts. Because Ford is terrible at marketting. Holden bangs on about SIDI, and they are putting Ford out of business, no one knows what engine a falcon has, they just assume its the same engine since the AU or BA, ford should put a fancy coded label on there engine and market the performance and efficiency, and also build a better looking car then holden, which it hasnt done. if the falcon doesnt collapse before the 4 cyl ecoboost model comes out, then ford better get a marketting strategy in place, and i anticipate the ecoboost will be a costly failure for ford in the falcon unless they get their act together.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #59
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
stupid comment about brain surgeon and dentist. Both of those jobs require specific qualifications and experience for there jobs.
other then having an interest in cars and being a member here what qualifications/skills do you have that makes you someone who knows what they are talking about?
And just why is it a stupid comment ? Nowhere near as stupid as saying you would get someone who knows nothing about cars to pass judgment on ( shock of horrors ) a car . Maybe you'd have Jezza , the Hamster and Capt Slow host MKR due to their total lack of cooking knowledge . When transport companies trial a new truck they generally tend to put it in the hands of an experienced driver who knows a little something about trucks , when Airlines consider a new Airliner funnilly enough they send a Pilot to fly it and I could go on ad infinitum with example after example after example but I strongly suspect it would be totally lost on you . As for my qualifications I'd get into a battle of wits with you but it is unfair to fight an unarmed man .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #60
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Nothing wrong with Holdens latest offerings at all. My only complaint with the new commodores is the view through the rear window, I find how the boot is quite high it hinders visibility out the rear.

I think the base model offerings for Ford and Holden are pretty good. What more can you expect from a base model 4 door sedan.

Comparing apples with apples...

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post