Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #31
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Really? I wouldn't have thought lights, sirens, decals and communication equipment would cost that much. Say the govt pays $30k for an SS or XR6T, does that mean all the kit out costs $120k? Unlikely.
Just relaying info that I have been told, there is a lot of hi tech gear in these cars, especially the new ones, with number plate recognition, radars, computers, cameras etc I would imagine the number plate recognition would be worth a few $$$ as well as the radar, probably a few thousand worth of computer stuff, software etc etc etc

I doubt they get them for $30K especially the FPV and HSV versions commonly used now.

May be 150K is exaggerated, but I was given that figure from the horses mouth and did not query it further...
Old 15-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #32
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
My comment below

Probably not the best car to perform a pitt(?) manoeuvre, but still they suceeded.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
Old 15-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #33
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
I’m happy that a few people here support what I’m talking about and understand that these cars are a total waste of money and pure police red tape … yes most police are people and like all people they want to enjoy the nice things in life e.g. expensive cars … the only difference in this case however is that they are not paying for these toys … WE DO!!!Anyways here is a true story … I used to live in Israel for a bout 7 years ago in the 90s … when myself and my family used to travel on the highways we would frequently be overtaken by a group of superbikes all doing well over 200km/h + … it would always puzzle us how the police would not do anything about it … Anyways my dad always used to speed a lot as he had a company car and did not care much for it. It was a Toyota corolla (made in japan) … one day we got pulled over for doing 150 on a highway … the cop was nice and we had a bit of a chat to him about the bikes and how they do massive speeds and how the police ignore them … and you know what his answer was … “umm we never pull them over as they are very good drivers and are very safe, they do not cause any accidents or make any issues for other public road users … yes they do travel at extremely high speeds but from our perspective its ok as they do not actually endanger the other public road users as they know exactly what they are doing … we find that all of them are nice guys and we frequently talk to them about general road issues … ultimately its their choice and if they kill themselves doing it well its their problem”

Just to make the point the speed limits on highways in Israel at the time where 100km/h (I do not know what they are there now) … also if anyone has ever been to the Dead Sea and travelled along one of the most winding roads in the lowest point below the sea level in the world, would know how challenging that road is … these guys where regulars there 

Anyways I guess cops in many other countries have what I call “common sense” … however unfortunately in Australia they definitely don’t … E.G. if the Lowes Hamilton incident happened elsewhere I’m very serious but that cop would be fired and laughed out of the office …
Since when are police officers exempt from paying tax? Without knowing your income, I'd say the HWP bloke driving it paid for more of that GTS than you have.
As for the rest of that post, I'm going to quote my english teacher, 'Irrelevent, get rid of that paragraph'.

BA XR8 Manual
Old 15-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #34
ZDHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the thread starter has made a fair call in his initial comments/question.

Do we have a right to Question where some of tax payers funds are going?

Would 2x ss commies as a street presence deter speeding crime etc than having one top of the range performance machine???

On the flip side, some of the replies are absolutely rediculous and seem outright personal attacks! oh yeah (perhaps not thread worthy)

There are also some good replies that actually make sense

Personally, I don't lose sleep over the cars that are chosen, nor am i Jealous that i do not have one and secondly neither do i understand why the police have to have an e3 either but my missus keeps telling me how smart i am !:

I wonder what category that would make me

Maybe re reading the start of the thread again may assist in constructive comments and the thread could actually go in a positive direction whether we agree or not.

Just my 2 bob worth

In fact, the "RANT" was just that!
1997 El Futura Saphire 11 Wagon
1985 xf Fairmont sedan
Old 15-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #35
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Around my parts, the cops get around in F6's... and now I own one of them.
Is that the cop or the car you own, or both
Old 15-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #36
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Money goes to much worse places. Id rather see a cool car on the streets than some houso smoking a billy at the bus stop.
Old 15-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #37
1TUFFUTE
Banned

COPS DONT DO HIGH SPEED CHASES anymore...so why buy a flagship model...absolutely no need at all. WASTE OF TAX MONEY. Anyone who doesnt believe this is either stipid or ignorant. Otherwise tell me why its not a waste with a real explanation.
Old 15-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #38
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
It was simply an example of common sense behaviour from the police which I’m yet to see here in Australia …
If you're so forcefully opposed to it, jump on a plane and head back to Israel for a year or two. At least the cops are sensible there.

The reason that the police force don't use WRX's and EVO's is because they're too cramped by the time they get all their gear into them. With a Holden or Ford at least if they apprehend the offender they can get them in the backseat and still sit comfortably in the front.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.

Last edited by klawsterfobik; 15-03-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 15-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #39
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

keep in mind guys, alot of the new high end cars are given to police by the manufacturer.. 300c's, lambos, hummers.... i wouldnt be the least bit surprised considering the polices yearly contribution to holden/ford that they recieve a few top of the liners for nicks. It keeps both parties happy as holden/ford recieve free eye boggling and forum banter.
Old 15-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #40
anto
Za Dom spremni

waste of money? absolutely,..outrageous even !!

great post ZDHLANE !
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 15-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #41
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Based on http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/12333.htm I'm in the middle of the 37% tax rate which would mean I do contribute a fair share of that GTS...

As for the cop getting paid more ... well he has a government union to protect him and write him fat cheques even though he is just an expense ... I for one work in a real company earning real profits and I contribute to these real profits and hence get paid accordingly ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
Since when are police officers exempt from paying tax? Without knowing your income, I'd say the HWP bloke driving it paid for more of that GTS than you have.
As for the rest of that post, I'm going to quote my english teacher, 'Irrelevent, get rid of that paragraph'.
Old 15-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #42
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

He is a just an expense? holy crap, give this guy a medal.

/exit thread.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
Old 15-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #43
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDHLANE
Apparently if its for the police were not (you can be accused for police bashing).

Quote:
Would 2x ss commies as a street presence deter speeding crime etc than having one top of the range performance machine???
More police presence on the streets, no we need more speed camera's!! lol

LIke ZDHLANE it doesn't really bother me but I guess that it should be questioned since there are no more high speed chases. Does anyone know if there is a maximum speed police are allowed to travel to catch up to someone or is there none.
Old 15-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #44
Baron.LSN
Starter Motor

Default Re: Cops now using HSV E3 Clubsports - WTF???

If an SS or XR6T can be optioned up (remember, just because you personally can't order something doesn't mean they can't) for less than the cost of the E3, then it was a waste of money.

If the lower-spec car can be upgraded, and can then stop as fast and turn as well as the higher-spec one, for less money, then there was no need for the E3. They don't need to have the fastest car on the road; as has already been noted, they're not actually allowed to keep up with the fastes cars that can be bought.
Old 15-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #45
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The cops complain enough about the lack of ground clearance on a XR or SS, I hate to see what they think of a HSV. I wonder if its just a promotional thing.
Old 15-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #46
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Just relaying info that I have been told, there is a lot of hi tech gear in these cars, especially the new ones, with number plate recognition, radars, computers, cameras etc I would imagine the number plate recognition would be worth a few $$$ as well as the radar, probably a few thousand worth of computer stuff, software etc etc etc

I doubt they get them for $30K especially the FPV and HSV versions commonly used now.

May be 150K is exaggerated, but I was given that figure from the horses mouth and did not query it further...
Most of that equipment is transferred from car to car, so there is generally only a one off cost.
You would also be surprised at how cheap they would actually pick up an ss or xr. I have heard they actually make a profit on them when they are sold at auction.
Old 15-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
not to mention all the ambo drivers cruising around in MERCEDES BENZ ambulances!

do they really need such expensive vehicles? why not an AU wagon on LPG?
That cost $250K a pop once its converted into an Ambulance....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
COPS DONT DO HIGH SPEED CHASES anymore...so why buy a flagship model...absolutely no need at all. WASTE OF TAX MONEY. Anyone who doesnt believe this is either stipid or ignorant. Otherwise tell me why its not a waste with a real explanation.
Either do you, the max speed limit in this country is 130km/h, my Fiesta could do that no problem.
Old 15-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #48
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think the thread starter has made a fair call in his initial comments/question.

On the flip side, some of the replies are absolutely rediculous and seem outright personal attacks! oh yeah (perhaps not thread worthy)

There are also some good replies that actually make sense

Personally, I don't lose sleep over the cars that are chosen, nor am i Jealous that i do not have one and secondly neither do i understand why the police have to have an e3 either but my missus keeps telling me how smart i am !:

I wonder what category that would make me

Maybe re reading the start of the thread again may assist in constructive comments and the thread could actually go in a positive direction whether we agree or not.

Just my 2 bob worth

In fact, the "RANT" was just that!
best post in thread - a gold star to you !

you are right - people have the right to question the expense.

imagine if a few R8s or F6's started popping up in amongst government fleets. hey, they need a tool of trade vehicle - just as police officers do. the question is, is the tool of trade vehicle a suitable vehicle ?

in the op's example, i don't believe it is - not when an xr or ss will perform a similar job at a lesser cost.

the cops in my area drive xt falcon's because they are a suitable tool of trade vehicle.
then again, morons shooting / killing / ram rading / trying to out run police is not as common an occurance here in tas as it is on the mainland...
Old 15-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #49
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Clearly not.

Can an SS be optioned with Brembos? Don't think so. It also doesn't cost the force 70k.

Around my parts, the cops get around in F6's... and now I own one of them.
On the other hand, I bought two F6s and then I saw the police version.
I did not buy another one and am unlikely to ever do so again.
Old 15-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #50
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
On the other hand, I bought two F6s and then I saw the police version.
I did not buy another one and am unlikely to ever do so again.
Is that because you thought the car's image or rep was tarnished being used as a police car, or was it the concern over resale having them appear at government disposal auctions?
Old 15-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #51
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Another thing to add ... that E3 (mentioned by the OP) is in an area that is usually that busy you can't do more than 20-40km/h anyway.

Would have been better off with a turbo/AWD in that area due to the smaller tight backstreets ... and still saved a ton of cash
Old 15-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #52
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Wonder what the police think about them ..... I am sure the actual police that drive them would enjoy it but wouldn't it better to have 2 XT's or Omega's or 3 of something cheaper at a station then 1 of those? I think it is fine to question the spending especially when it comes from general revenue and cameras with the association is crying poor.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 15-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #53
nstg8a

one thing that always amazes me at the local police station is how many marked cars seem to be always parked up. at least the E3 was out on the road lol

im all for more marked cars on the road, doesnt matter what they are, people notice them and behave. dont see a cop car for weeks on end you start 'taking liberties'
Old 15-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #54
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Another thing is ... how hard would it be to get into those seats with a fully packed utility belt on as well ... surely those seats are that bolstered it'd be a tad uncomfortable.
Old 15-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #55
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Often these cars are donated to get some publicity.
there was a Chrysler 300 C all marked up for NSW Police a while ago too.
Remember they go to auction when finished with and often get back more than what was paid for them minus, tax and GST.
I remember years ago Chrysler loaned turbo Sigmas to WA Police, and Nissan lent some Skylines, not the rice burner models we have now but the Silhouette model.
Old 15-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #56
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

NSW Police aren'It is interesting that they are driving Clubsports.... last time I spoke to a NSW HWP cop, they were not allowed to purchase premium fuel to put in their VE SS commodores in order to get max. performabce.... what power does a Clubsport generate on 91 Octane fuel, or E10? Perhaps they can get the whole 325kw out of them on either E10/E85/91/95/98 RON fuel?
Old 15-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #57
bingoTE50
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA Escort
it doesn't matter how fast an offender's car is in a chase anyway, coz while some things out may out run a cop car, nothing will out run a cop radio....
Most accurate post I have seen .

I knew a Highway Patrol commander in Sydney when the AU was out,and although the Commodore was quicker ,he preferred the AU because it handled that much better.
I do think buying HSV and GT's are a bit over the top considering the control on pursuits . In saying this ,I am sure they HP guys enjoy them , like years ago when Mini Coopers,XU-1 Toranas , 351 XC 's were the choice .
Old 16-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #58
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I agree with the OP and some others. pursuits are rare these days and are terminated fairly quickly. A standard 6cyl car would be fine. Think how much of a HWP cars life is spent going fast? That said a standard Falcon can pull 200+k's

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

Old 16-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #59
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That cop's gotta look the part when he goes through Macca's drive through.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
Old 16-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #60
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Its more about perceived speed then anything else. While an XT could do the same thing, someone is less likely to think they'll be able to get away from a GTS then an XT.
At the end of the day, they're supporting local companies so Im not that fussed.
And while more cars would be good, more police to drive those cars would be better!

As for upgrading, all the XR6 Turbo Hwy cars Ive seen have the 4-piston Brembo brakes anyway, yet the F6's still get around. At least it will keep the public guessing. Im assuming it was unmarked?
Closed Thread