Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #31
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
with modern cars having such sophisticated computers on board, why can't they dynamically change the tune depending on what you fill it up with?
as stated..
Quote:
As well, a fuel sensor that Mr Marshall likens to a “breathalyser on the fuel line” is included to detect variation in ethanol content in the fuel so the engine management system can adjust engine calibrations to suit.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #32
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

30% more consumption than petrol! LPG Injection gets ALOT better than that (5-10%)for the same cost.... And does'nt employ some flawed theory that drives our food costs up either.. And we have tonnes of the stuff readily available as a petrol by product and will have for many years...
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 03:23 AM   #33
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue
Agreed, but I think that point will be lost in the political back and forth about energy independence..supporting Aussie farmers...etc.

This alternative is as much about politics as it is about engineering.

Peter.
My father in law is a farmer and he is totally against corn-based ethanol as a fuel alternative. He convinced me 3 years ago that is was a bad idea. The price of corn goes up, but so does everything else. Feed goes up in price. The cost of running a farm just skyrockets. So your point about it be all-political is definitely valid! In 2008, that's one of the reasons in my mind, why we had an economic crash - because of overinflation. When your primary products inflate too much in price, so will everything else. Then it will crash. Maybe cellulosic ethanol wouldn't be so bad? Maybe hydrogen fuel cell technology is where the focus should be?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #34
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
My father in law is a farmer and he is totally against corn-based ethanol as a fuel alternative. He convinced me 3 years ago that is was a bad idea. The price of corn goes up, but so does everything else. Feed goes up in price. The cost of running a farm just skyrockets. So your point about it be all-political is definitely valid! In 2008, that's one of the reasons in my mind, why we had an economic crash - because of overinflation. When your primary products inflate too much in price, so will everything else. Then it will crash. Maybe cellulosic ethanol wouldn't be so bad? Maybe hydrogen fuel cell technology is where the focus should be?
Good thing they aren't using corn mash in Australia than. Most of the produced ethanol in Australia will come from waste products. I agree however there are some questionable benifits to be had from ethanol.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #35
mmciau
mmciau

I'll stick with dual fuel for the present time.

Mike
mmciau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #36
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I read yesterday that the E85 is only going to be on the 3.0 engines to start with.. Not appearing on the 3.6 until next year.. What a con, do they even sell many 3.0 engines, seeing as how crap there are?

Just wait the marketing machine go to work on & engine that does not sell in big qty's!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #37
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
My father in law is a farmer and he is totally against corn-based ethanol as a fuel alternative. He convinced me 3 years ago that is was a bad idea. The price of corn goes up, but so does everything else. Feed goes up in price. The cost of running a farm just skyrockets. So your point about it be all-political is definitely valid! In 2008, that's one of the reasons in my mind, why we had an economic crash - because of over inflation. When your primary products inflate too much in price, so will everything else. Then it will crash. Maybe cellulosic ethanol wouldn't be so bad? Maybe hydrogen fuel cell technology is where the focus should be?
If he's a farmer ??
I HIGHLY doubt he'd be worried about crop prices rising !!!!
Alot of grain is NOT for human consumption...
From whats happening in Europe the price of wheat is rising ...
Unless he's a dairy farmer ??
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #38
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

i can't wait to see E85 readily available. I'm waiting for this so i can get a injectors, cat, pump and tune all done at the same time.
Old 15-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #39
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I couldn't care if the SIDID was 100% Ethanol compatible - it's not and won't be a mainstream fuel for quite some time yet. Oil companies won't invest in the infrastructure required to cater for less than a handful of cars E85 compatible.
Old 15-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #40
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Falcon
I couldn't care if the SIDID was 100% Ethanol compatible - it's not and won't be a mainstream fuel for quite some time yet. Oil companies won't invest in the infrastructure required to cater for less than a handful of cars E85 compatible.
theres acually fair few places..
http://ethanolfacts.com.au/buying
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #41
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

None in WA by the looks of it. I'm not aware of any BP, Caltex, Shell, Ampol or Peak sites that sell E85 Perth metro or country WA.
Old 15-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #42
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Caltex is meant to roll out pumps to their servo's.
Old 27-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #43
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/81517/ho...ing-announced/

Quote:
Holden Commodore VE Series II compatible Bio E-Flex locations and pricing announced
By George Skentzos | August 26th, 2010

Holden has welcomed an announcement by Caltex of the first locations where its high-tech Bio E-Flex fuel will be made available along with official pricing.

The new ethanol-based fuel will be Holden’s recommended fuel for use in the soon to be released Holden Commodore VE Series II flex-fuel range and consists of 85 per cent ethanol, blended with 15 per cent petrol – commonly known overseas as E85.

The new fuel goes on sale from today at St Marys, Salisbury Park and Woodcroft in Adelaide, priced at 20 cents per litre below regular unleaded petrol at Caltex-operated service stations.

“We believe Bio E-Flex will be attractive to motorists who would like to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions significantly but have had limited choice in taking action,” said Caltex Manager Government Affairs & Media Frank Topham.

“Customers will be able to reduce their environmental impact at an affordable price. If petrol prices were at the same levels as experienced this year, Bio E-Flex would often be priced near $1 per litre at the bottom of the weekly price cycle.”

As Bio E-Flex is based on ethanol – a renewable fuel – it will significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions and our reliance on traditional fossil fuels like petrol.

It is estimated that the use of ethanol as a fuel will result in 14 to 46 per cent fewer greenhouse gas emissions over petrol, although as it has a lower energy content than petrol vehicles using Bio E-Flex will travel fewer kilometres on a litre of fuel.

“As part of our EcoLine strategy, we have a commitment to offering our customers a broad range of vehicles that use alternative fuel or fuel-saving technologies. These solutions are designed to make motoring affordable as well as being better for the environment.” Holden’s Energy and Environment Director Richard Marshall said.

The Holden Commodore VE Series II range will be the first Australian-made cars able to run on Bio E-Flex fuel, although they can also run on E10, Unleaded, Premium or any combination of these fuels.

Caltex plans to have over 30 Bio E-Flex sites in most states by the end of October, increasing to 100 outlets in 2011.