Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #31
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Phill
Better them than someone who follows the rules. I read a story last year of some guy doing 60 in a Skyline and crashed, then died, yet these guys come out of it alright.
Phil no one deserves to die because they make a mistake like this.

Maybe think before you type.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 24-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #32
PSI-54L
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Bit of difference to the two crimes. But for the sake of this argument if the murderer was found at the scene with the knife in his hand and blood all over him then yes it would be acceptable.

Seriously how can you defend the actions of these two and what other explanation can be offered?

From what iv heard there were reports by other motorists travelling on the M7 at the time.
Apperently driving irratically and dangerous at the time.
CVO Breakout
Old 24-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #33
b2tf
not here much anymore

let's just ease it up a little bit, a stupid action yes but we dont need to go saying things like some of what has been said.
Old 24-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #34
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

I'm sure you or anyone else would have a different opinion if they killed one of your children or family members because they wanted to race. And I wouldn't really call it a mistake, blatant stupidity sounds more appropriate.
Old 24-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #35
Sprint347
Tickford

Quote:
Better them than someone who follows the rules. I read a story last year of some guy doing 60 in a Skyline and crashed, then died, yet these guys come out of it alright.
Because no-one makes a foolish decision at 21.

It's no excuse, but it's not something that warrants a death penalty.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Old 24-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #36
Sprint347
Tickford

Quote:
I'm sure you or anyone else would have a different opinion if they killed one of your children or family members because they wanted to race. And I wouldn't really call it a mistake, blatant stupidity sounds more appropriate.
Agree 100%, but wishing someone had died as a result of poor judgement is unreasonable.

Should Troy Critchley be up for the death penalty?
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Old 24-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #37
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrane
but wishing someone had died as a result of poor judgement is unreasonable.
Poor judgement is picking the wrong shirt to wear to work. Racing a heavy high powered vehicle on public roads at high speeds is different. Endangering lives, is endangering lives. And doing it for the sake of a race, that you get nothing from, is even stupider.
Old 24-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #38
Sprint347
Tickford

I could spend the morning arguing with you, but it's pointless.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Old 24-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #39
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Hmmm thats a rather large cooler....
Looks like it's all rapids gear

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 24-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #40
FPV GT40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrane
Because no-one makes a foolish decision at 21.

It's no excuse, but it's not something that warrants a death penalty.

Its not a penalty...they made the decision themselves, so it would be a result of their own actions, not a penalty imposed by someone else, but a lot of the times the guilty people walk away un-injured while the passengers or worse innocent road users get murdered by these people.

How would you like to be the person that knocks on someones door at 1am on a given morning delivering the news to the family that their son/daughter/father/mother/grandfather/parents ect have been killed because some hero wanted to be faster than the next on a public road....it is NOT A MISTAKE....it is a blatant and deliberate act of stupidity and a complete disregard for everyone around them, that we all have to suffer for in one way or another.

And I do hope they have big loans on these cars and insurance will not pay, it will be some small justice, and will hopefully keep these people off the road for a while for all our sake........
Old 24-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #41
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GT40
Its not a penalty...they made the decision themselves, so it would be a result of their own actions, not a penalty imposed by someone else, but a lot of the times the guilty people walk away un-injured while the passengers or worse innocent road users get murdered by these people.

How would you like to be the person that knocks on someones door at 1am on a given morning delivering the news to the family that their son/daughter/father/mother/grandfather/parents ect have been killed because some hero wanted to be faster than the next on a public road....it is NOT A MISTAKE....it is a blatant and deliberate act of stupidity and a complete disregard for everyone around them, that we all have to suffer for in one way or another.

And I do hope they have big loans on these cars and insurance will not pay, it will be some small justice, and will hopefully keep these people off the road for a while for all our sake........
All true but it still does not warrant death does it?
Old 24-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #42
Meg's GT's
1 is good but 2 is better

A leaf out of the book in some states in the US........
A month riding shotgun with the ambo's that attend MVA's and then accompanying the attending police officer to the home of the family who have lost their son/daughter then finished off with a personal tour of the morgue etc.......... might be enough for a few to have cause to think twice...but it ain't going to happen here in my lifetime.
Old 24-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #43
FPV GT40
Banned

Quote:
All true but it still does not warrant death does it?
No one said it warrants it, just a cause and affect situation, ie this is what happens when you do that.

Smoking does not warrant lung cancer and slow painfull agonising death by drowning in your own blood, but it still causes it....
Old 24-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #44
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Was just going to say that too.
Old 24-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #45
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

why doesn't this forum have an 'ignore users' function?
Old 24-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #46
FPV GT40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausbird
A leaf out of the book in some states in the US........
A month riding shotgun with the ambo's that attend MVA's and then accompanying the attending police officer to the home of the family who have lost their son/daughter then finished off with a personal tour of the morgue etc.......... might be enough for a few to have cause to think twice...but it ain't going to happen here in my lifetime.
Would be a great idea, but the trauma would probably be too great for the poor little buggers, and the do gooders would never allow it...
Old 24-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #47
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR06T
why doesn't this forum have an 'ignore users' function?
It does

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Old 24-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #48
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
No one said it warrants it, just a cause and affect situation, ie this is what happens when you do that.

Smoking does not warrant lung cancer and slow painfull agonising death by drowning in your own blood, but it still causes it....
Actually they did, that is what started this.
Old 24-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #49
FPV GT40
Banned

Quote:
Actually they did, that is what started this.
Just re read the entire thread, no mention of anyone wishing someone dead...or has that part been deleted???
Old 24-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #50
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just re read the entire thread, no mention of anyone wishing someone dead...or has that part been deleted???
Deleted.
Old 24-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #51
FPV GT40
Banned

I see....thats probably why I could not find it..........
Old 24-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #52
dave289
Banned

Now if these p plate laws were in force a bit earlier this tool would not have had a turbo to race in the first place.but come to think about it a stocky ba is to powerful for a p plater.sorry to all the decent p platers out there but unfortunately these dopes ruin it for everyone else.time to let them drive naturally aspirated four cylinders only.or should we make that three cylinder diashitsu charedes.at least when they hit the pole or anything else it will be done with much less force.the cars of today are to fast and powerful for kids to be playing in.

how about a public flogging for these morons.they obviously cant drive or they would not have crashed.the worst part is it is two fords involved,something I would have expected from the other team, like lastime.
Old 24-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #53
Sonik
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
I know where I'm buying my performance gear then!

Does anyone know who won the race?
Old 24-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #54
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
Now if these p plate laws were in force a bit earlier this tool would not have had a turbo to race in the first place.but come to think about it a stocky ba is to powerful for a p plater.sorry to all the decent p platers out there but unfortunately these dopes ruin it for everyone else.time to let them drive naturally aspirated four cylinders only.or should we make that three cylinder diashitsu charedes.at least when they hit the pole or anything else it will be done with much less force.the cars of today are to fast and powerful for kids to be playing in.
Rubbish, I spent my whole time on L's driving an XR8 and at no time ever got into trouble. If it was 'to powerful for a P'plater' surely it would be FAR to powerful for an L'plater as his inexperience will cause him to lose control and crash : . Saying a car is to powerful for someone is rediculous. Inexperienced people in powerful cars don't cause crashes, IDIOTS do.

And im not trying to have a dig at you, I know what you are trying to say. Even as a P'plater with a V8 that I cant drive, i'm all for the V8, turbo laws. It's a small price to pay to keep the IDIOTS out of these things.
Old 24-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #55
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Philxr, on your "L's" you have a supposed mature enough passenger with you at all times, whereas on your P's your on your own, BIG difference mate.
Old 24-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #56
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Something needs to be done, but all these "you can't do/have this/that" laws don't work - proof is abundant. You can kill yourself and others in aforementioned 3cyl charade.

What's missing is proper driver education, and attitude adjustments. You've got young people with 'invincibility' and hormoes running through their bodies meaning they'll take risks not knowing the full repercussions. And because the driver licensing system is SO damn EASY to pass, everyone has a license, and thinks they can drive. No they can drive around the block, three-point turn, and reverse parallel park. They can't control a car.

Mandatory
- More time on L's (6 months of sunday drives with Mum isn't enough).
- Defensive driving course before P's can be attained.
- Sit down movie/test on the gore of potential outcomes.
- No points, any offence is a instant 12 month suspension.
- Defensive driving course AND assessment before P2's
- Assessment before open's

But all of this costs lots of money, so it'll never happen. They'll keep making ineffectual laws that only make the lives of true enthusiasts troublesome.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
Old 24-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #57
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Philxr, on your "L's" you have a supposed mature enough passenger with you at all times, whereas on your P's your on your own, BIG difference mate.
Yeah I know that mate. I think you missed my point. I was stating that saying a V8 or turbo is too powerful is untrue. The reason they are bad in the hands on P'plater is the 'Temptation' to do silly things is there, where as a more mature person might think things through a little more.
Old 24-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #58
Nickxb
XB in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric
Are you sure? ...what about failing to give way or running a red light....both illegal activities, both covered by insurane.

The exception I can think of is DUI is not covered by insurance.
Yes i am sure, while running a red light is illegal it would not warrent the declinature of a claim. Street racing on the other hand.....

In saying that it would be up to the insurance company to prove that the illegal activity contributed to the accident. In this case i believe a police report would do it.

Nick
Old 24-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #59
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
That seems pretty rediculous mate, "IF" the new laws were in earlier : IF Turbos were never invented and car's never went over 4cylinder it wouldn't have happened either. IFs aren't going to change anything.

Learning to drive N/A 4cylinders is not going to Help. I've been driving an N/a 4 cylinder as a daily lately, going from driving solely that, to then going bacto my 6cyl Falcon is downright dangerous if you aren't careful.
I got into the mode of thinking I was driving a FWD car, I took a roundabout in the wet and accelerated out (Like I would in the 4banger) but in the Falcon the ar se hangs out, Now had I never driven a 6cylinder RWD car to begin with I would have more then likely hit the Pole on the other side of the road, but because I was experienced in the Falcon I knew what to do. Sure it shouldn't have happened in the first place, but I made a simple mistake and let my guard down, but if I'd never driven a RWD car before I sure as hell would be in a bit of strife right now.

As for 4cyl cars in a crash, I've seen idiots in N13 Pulsars doing 140km/h+, N/A 4 bangers. And I tell you what, I would rather be in a Falcon or a Commodore when I hit ANYTHING at ANY speed rather then a Buzzbox. It could be the difference between walking away and not wouldn't you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
Mandatory
- More time on L's (6 months of sunday drives with Mum isn't enough).
- Defensive driving course before P's can be attained.
- Sit down movie/test on the gore of potential outcomes.
- No points, any offence is a instant 12 month suspension.
- Defensive driving course AND assessment before P2's
- Assessment before open's
More time on your Ls is ridiculous really, as it is you have to do 120hours and 12months minimum and they already want to make it 200hours (in NSW). But what kind of parent can find 200hours to teach their son/daughter to drive?
Let alone the cost. You would be looking at spending $5K+ on fuel and normal wear and tear alone just to teach your son/daughter the Basics :
I do agree that a defensive or advanced driver course would be the best bet, but at $150-200 a pop I can't see the Government subsidizing it.
And I doubt a gore movie/test will affect many people, but would be worth a try.
Old 24-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #60
Sprint347
Tickford

Quote:

That's fine, and I agree with your sentiments 100% - but i refuse to find the statement 'they deserved to die' acceptable. So please, aim your rant towards the careless drivers involved and not me.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Closed Thread