Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-05-2016, 08:04 PM   #31
spvd02

Default Re: Thousands of Aussie Ford owners could take part in class action over ‘defective automatic gearboxes’

I also had no issues with my 2012 Focus Trend Powershift. In fact, it was a very responsive, economical & powerful drive. Have replaced it with a 2012 TE Ford Kuga now, but only due to the fact it was a good deal. Would otherwise have kept the Focus, as it was flawless. The powershift auto was a highlight IMHO. Apparently not to everyone's taste, with some people also having issues with them. Probably only a small percentage of the cars have issues, with owners and media blowing these issues out of proportion.
* Mods: Fox cat-back exhaust, Simota CAI, larger intercooler, Spider iMode chip-tuning plug in.

Engine responds very well to mods, but auto gearbox can become unsettled trying to cope with the extra torque. Good fuel economy overall: 9-12L/100km city, 8L/100 country.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #32
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Default Re: Thousands of Aussie Ford owners could take part in class action over ‘defective automatic gearboxes’

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
If you go to the Lawyers web site, it states that if you win the commission to the lawyer is up to 40%. I think there is only 1 real winner in all of this...
As always, if you remember MABO land case, it stood for
"MONEY AVAILABLE BARRISTERS ONLY"
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-05-2016, 02:28 AM   #33
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02 View Post
I also had no issues with my 2012 Focus Trend Powershift. In fact, it was a very responsive, economical & powerful drive. Have replaced it with a 2012 TE Ford Kuga now, but only due to the fact it was a good deal. Would otherwise have kept the Focus, as it was flawless. The powershift auto was a highlight IMHO. Apparently not to everyone's taste, with some people also having issues with them. Probably only a small percentage of the cars have issues, with owners and media blowing these issues out of proportion.
if you dont mind me asking how many k`s did you get up on it ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2016, 02:41 AM   #34
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The original issue in the US began with gearbox oil leaks onto the clutch elments,
those were the first examples and replaced by Ford after software upgrades didn't work

The next issue is that the clutch puts out a lot of dust material that can't be cleared from inside the housing unless disassembled, eventually causing the transmission to shudder.

The last problem is that the gearbox naturally runs hot and the control module has been attached directly to that hot running assembly causing early failure of ECUs...

Man, the Lawyers are going to have a field day, the scuttlebut was that in late 2013
Ford NA had upwards of 11,000 clutch units on back order.

The US still sells the 2.0 DI Powershift combo as the majority of Focus sales,
so whatever it has done seeme to have overcome a lot of the criticisms or
perhaps jsut delayed them into the second hand market.....

So glad that new Focus has left this problem behind but a good light duty
next generation wet clutch powershift would out perform the 6F auto..
All those problems are a tell tale imo that ford needs to look harder at its long term testing and quality control if it hasnt already been done ,
the extra money spent on better quality control would pay divid ends in the long run .
I cant even imagine how much the bad press/customers this issue has cost ford , or will cost in the long run, and this has not been a one off issue unfortunately.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:46 AM   #35
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus View Post
Some owners are probably use to traditional automatics and don't understand that they have an automated manual. And so they have different expectations.
Nah....it's a crap tranny. No clutch pedal = automatic. It should be smooth.

Ford's response? "Meh...they all do that."

Really? So Ford.....you're admitting they're all stuffed?
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #36
spvd02

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
if you dont mind me asking how many k`s did you get up on it ?
I clocked up 40 000km by the time I sold it, and it behaved the same as when it was brand new. Not an issue at all. Pity that others are having issues, as they otherwise were the most technologically advanced option out there, increasing fuel economy and power.

Auto trans in small cars usually amounts to substantial power loss; not so with the dual-clutch. Kudos to Ford for actually trying to move the game forward. A pity it seems to have back-fired
* Mods: Fox cat-back exhaust, Simota CAI, larger intercooler, Spider iMode chip-tuning plug in.

Engine responds very well to mods, but auto gearbox can become unsettled trying to cope with the extra torque. Good fuel economy overall: 9-12L/100km city, 8L/100 country.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you may have sold it at the right time mate, but you would be hoping for a lot longer of a trouble free run as 40k is almost nothing , I suspect like others with a bit more mileage you may have been making a visit to the dealer.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #38
spvd02

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I think you may have sold it at the right time mate, but you would be hoping for a lot longer of a trouble free run as 40k is almost nothing , I suspect like others with a bit more mileage you may have been making a visit to the dealer.
I won't discount that possibility, but most owners who have the issues seem to have had them from day 1, then after being fixed, symptoms would reoccur shortly afterwards.

In my experience this has not been the case. The transmission has performed flawlessly from day 1, and showed no change in behaviour during my period of ownership. I had no reason to suspect that it would fail in the future.

I am sure these transmissions were subject to rigorous durability testing (as Ford always do), and that the issue lies in the actual manufacturing process of what was potentially a very good design. Somehow this design didn't materialise into the good product it was supposed to be.

Most would have had a good run with them, with a minority experiencing endless issues. Is a class action warranted? I don't think so. However, Ford should (and are) striving to rectify the issues in customers' cars. For ongoing issues with a defective product there should be some form of compensation, or perhaps even a kind of buy-back scheme.

However, if some customers just don't like the way it drives, they should sell up and buy something else, as they have no case to argue if the car is behaving as it should.

It's easy to trash the company because of this issue, but they have been, and still are, taking measures to get on top of the issue. Let's not blow it out of proportion, as if they "all do it", because that's simply rubbish.

5 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #39
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the trouble free no issues group are in the minority.

The dealership we bought ours from has described the power shift transmission as "challenging".

These are known issues and as I've said earlier detract what is otherwise a great little car.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #40
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your entitled to your opinion spvd02 , as you have admitted to selling virtually a brand new car well never know if it followed up with problems with reasonable mileage, from my perspective 40,000 k`s is nothing , and more than a few have had trouble with these things , it not like it was just one or two and the saga continues today .

Last edited by mik; 08-05-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #41
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
This the same issue? http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....1347138&page=2

As per my post in this thread in 2012:

After numerous visits to the dealer complaining about basically dangerous power loss and unexpected acceleration (while parking) it was replaced under warranty.

It's a "real" issue .. not imaginary. Basically like having the transmission in your car operated by an inexperienced child.

And here lies one of the major issues with this "automatic" transmission. Customers have no idea what this box is and how it works. You shouldn't be using the trans to hold you on a hill. By keeping the revs up all you're doing is riding the clutch which will overheat it and cause a shudder. You really shouldn't be riding the clutch and these trans work best when driven hard. They really struggle with people who putt around.
I'm not saying there isn't issues or that it couldn't have been handled better but the issues are being fixed and ford have backed it with a 10 year warranty.
Did VW do that?
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2016, 06:51 PM   #42
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suttoo View Post
We have sold around 25-30 LW's and have done 2 or 3 clutches, with no problems afterwards. Speaking to some city dealers closer to the cities, they seem to do a lot more. I wonder if the problem relates to shorter slower driving, where as country driving they are not so bad.

City cars are definitely effected much worse as drivers ride the clutch by creeping forward in peek hour traffic. Later software calibrations have helped.
There was also issues with early oil seals leaking and contaminating clutches. These seals get updated when they repair the clutch.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #43
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My brothers 2013 Titanium in 28,000kms has had 2 sets of clutches and 2 software updates. Now the rear main seal is leaking. Being a true blue Ford man he is now trying to cut a deal on a new Focus sport
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #44
anto
Za Dom spremni

As above my sisters focus titanium is a royal pos , she has had it in and out of ford a dozen tines and it's still vibrating and slipping. Bought it new and almost immediately had issues with the trans with now only 20k on the clock. I feels sorry for her, we are a ford family so she chose that over a Mazda 3 and she absolutely hates the thing.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2016, 11:05 PM   #45
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
And here lies one of the major issues with this "automatic" transmission. Customers have no idea what this box is and how it works.
Nor should they have to. Its a trans that should never have been used. Most buyers just want to drive to their destination without to do much.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:02 AM   #46
IanC

Is this the same transmission fitted to the Mondeo? How are the Mondeo boxes going?
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 12:57 AM   #47
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02 View Post

I am sure these transmissions were subject to rigorous durability testing (as Ford always do), and that the issue lies in the actual manufacturing process of what was potentially a very good design. Somehow this design didn't materialise into the good product it was supposed to be.

Ford should have warned there customers there DSG cars where going to drive like no other auto you ever drove before then we wouldn't have bothered buying one.
The intermediate hesitating of this gearbox is one aspect that made it dangerous.
Telling customers this how there supposed to be once the problems arise is poor, if we still had our dog box Focus I would would have joined the class action.
I could see what was going on, so could the Ford dealers there trade offer of $12,000 on 2 year old car with a purchase price of $30,000 tells the real story of what most are going through..
We took the loss before its gets worse and move on, lucky the Nissan dealer offer up a bit more on the trade.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 01:36 AM   #48
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Is this the same transmission fitted to the Mondeo? How are the Mondeo boxes going?

No. Mondeo doesn't have a dps6. But you should join the class action anyway.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #49
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
We took the loss before its gets worse and move on, lucky the Nissan dealer offer up a bit more on the trade.
Just Curious, with the Nissan you traded to, does it have a CVT?

if so how are you finding it?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #50
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Nor should they have to. Its a trans that should never have been used. Most buyers just want to drive to their destination without to do much.
Yup.
Comes back to that old chestnut...fit for purpose.

What were/are Ford thinking?
Dual clutch boxes are great for F1 and supercars, they have no place in what is essentially a city car.
I hate lawyers but sometimes these cases are needed where only a hit to the back pocket will make the companies sit up and listen.

I certainly feel for those affected, a lot of women buy these cars, they're not going to know the difference between dual clutch and torque converters. It has "D" for Drive....great.

If you have one and it's problematic, my advice would be to jump on board.
You could never afford to take on Ford in court alone. Here is your chance.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #51
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Just Curious, with the Nissan you traded to, does it have a CVT?

if so how are you finding it?
Qashqai Ti CVT smooth as, it drives so nice my wife loves it..
Europe's best selling SUV, 1st time in 14 years we didn't buy another Ford.
Being blind and loyal to the blue oval the Focus dog box made us take a look around and I am glad we did..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #52
mr_xlr8
GT-P Whitey

Only effects the 5.4L BOSS cars as reported by my sealer

Current ride:
FG MKI 5.0L S/C 6SP Auto = 9.5/10

Previous Rides:
FG MKII GT-P 5.0L S/C 6SP MANUAL = 9/10
AU III 5 SPEED BLUEPRINT XR8 220KW= 8/10
BA XR8 BOSS 260 BLUEPRINT = 3/10
EB FAIRMONT WINDSOR 302 BURGUNDY = 6/10
mr_xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #53
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
Qashqai Ti CVT smooth as, it drives so nice my wife loves it..
Europe's best selling SUV, 1st time in 14 years we didn't buy another Ford.
Being blind and loyal to the blue oval the Focus dog box made us take a look around and I am glad we did..
When I read about it Id thought id hate it, but after driving a couple of cars with CVT I am not disappointed.

Ford will lament not going down this path
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #54
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That was the radiator problem that Ford have done a recall on.

This is about dual clutch boxes and how Ford aren't helping.

EDIT: Oops didn't quote.
That's in reply to mr xlr8

XC Cobra #181.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:58 PM   #55
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

off topic

XC Cobra #181.

Last edited by Mercury Bullet; 09-05-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:24 PM   #56
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_xlr8 View Post
only effects the 5.4l boss cars as reported by my sealer

wtf ??
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #57
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got two cars in the family that suffer from it. My 2013 Fiesta and my sisters 2014 Focus both have the issue. Mine is going back for a 2nd time to try and fix it.

Spoils what are otherwise, two good cars.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #58
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
And people love to buy up such fancy technology. There you have it. Twin clutch why?

Long live the btr 4sp!
BTR 4 speed??

Softy.
My Charger has a three speed manual....
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #59
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Ford sued over PowerShift automatic transmissions

Local customers seek compensation over dual-clutch units.

David McCowen

18 May, 2016

Ford's previous-generation Focus is central to a class action lawsuit. Photo: Supplied

Ford's dual-clutch "PowerShift" transmission is at the core of a new class-action lawsuit in Australia.

Bannister Law filed against Ford in the Federal Court of Australia on Tuesday, seeking compensation for thousands of owners of vehicles equipped with Ford's transmission.

The dual-clutch automatic features in cars such as the Focus, Fiesta and EcoSport built between 2010 and 2014.

Ford dumped the gearbox from its revised Focus in 2015, choosing a conventional six-speed auto in place of the advanced dual-clutch unit. Current Fiesta and EcoSport models still offer the PowerShift automatic.

Charles Bannister, principal of Bannister law, says cars fitted with the transmission are not of acceptable quality.

"The many accounts we've been gathering from owners of affected vehicles, suggest that these cars are not fit for purpose, they're not free of defects and, most worryingly, they are not safe," he says.

"These, we argue, are breaches of Australian Consumer Law."

Ford declined to comment on the class action when contacted by Drive.

The legal group says customers have complained about jerky, clipping and harsh behaviour from the transmission, as well as delayed gearshifts and acceleration.

Charles Bannister says his group is pursuing "a full refund for the purchase price, a range of damages ensuing from repair costs and out of pocket expenses, and aggravated damages for having caused stress, inconvenience and humiliation".

Dual-clutch transmissions have proved troublesome for many motorists, including Volkswagen, Audi and Skoda customers whose cars were recalled locally in 2013.

•More information: http://fordclassaction.com.au/

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/f...18-goxmoh.html
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2016, 10:09 PM   #60
123Cat
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its an amazing dry clutch Getrag

with the clutches inline

with one input shaft inside another

with 4 shift forks

Have a look at the guts on You tube