Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #31
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Default Re: Falcon, Lincoln and Mustang, and RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Look at the part where I mentioned export throughout asia. If they went that way, which now looks very likely, production numbers will be double if not more than what they are now.

And it won't be a replacement for Falcon, it can never replace it, but large cars are reducing to next to nothing in terms of volume and medium cars are taking over from them. And Mondeo is just about as big as Falcon anyway. I know its not the same but if it keeps the line going at Broadmeadows its better than nothing.
To be fair the medium segment has only overtaken the large car segment due to the decline of large cars. The market share for medium cars has stayed fairly steady for the past decade. Small/light cars, SUV's and 4x4 utes is where its at. I can't see how local production of Mondeo all of a sudden boosts sales to where it needs to be. Anything over 600 sales/month is a good month in the medium segment if you aren't Camry.

It's a pity we couldn't have had Ranger instead of Thailand.

naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #32
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
To be fair the medium segment has only overtaken the large car segment due to the decline of large cars. The market share for medium cars has stayed fairly steady for the past decade. Small/light cars, SUV's and 4x4 utes is where its at. I can't see how local production of Mondeo all of a sudden boosts sales to where it needs to be. Anything over 600 sales/month is a good month in the medium segment if you aren't Camry.
Mondeo sells so badly because dealers just can't get desirable stock, local manufacturing of even imported stampings
and parts kits would get us out of FoE's end of the line waiting queue and give dealers stock they could sell like now.
So many of Ford's global platforms are just plain unobtainium because they are made elsewhere, it's a real problem...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #33
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Maybe so, but what sort of increase in sales figures do you see for an Australian manufactured Mondeo? Double? Triple? I don't see that happening personally. What would they need to sell to make it a viable proposition? I would have thought at the very best you would see an increase of 50% (which I feel is very generous) which would bring it to around 750/month. Is that enough to justify the expense of setting the plant up?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #34
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Small cars, SUVs and dual cabs. You are wasting your time wanting to build any other car in this country.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #35
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
Maybe so, but what sort of increase in sales figures do you see for an Australian manufactured Mondeo? Double? Triple? I don't see that happening personally. What would they need to sell to make it a viable proposition? I would have thought at the very best you would see an increase of 50% (which I feel is very generous) which would bring it to around 750/month. Is that enough to justify the expense of setting the plant up?
I'm sure you could get one figure for just local production, and another figure without Falcon production taking private sales. Local production would also get a lot of fleet sales and make a dent into Camry there.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #36
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Small cars, SUVs and dual cabs. You are wasting your time wanting to build any other car in this country.
this.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #37
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

What is a dual cab?
Old 07-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #38
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4 door ute

Kawasaki ZZR1100
Rockape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #39
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

4 door pickup, same as super crew or crew cab
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #40
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Camry outsells Falcon here.

And a plan to build Mondeo here doesn't revolve around domestic sales, but exports throughout asia.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
What is a dual cab?
USA calls them Crew Cab
Old 07-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #42
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Camry outsells Falcon here.

And a plan to build Mondeo here doesn't revolve around domestic sales, but exports throughout asia.
New Mondeo with EB 1.6 and stop=start gets slightly better fuel economy than Hybrid Camry,
bet that would go down big with local fleets and also prime target for Asian exports.
Done right, Mondeo could fetch 1200-1500 locally and possibly that much again in RHD/LHD exports.

The potential to FoA in added production and freeing up restrictive supply alone makes it a no brainer..
Start 1.6EB Mondeo base model at $25,990 drive away and watch Camry get kicked to the kerb...

Last edited by jpd80; 07-07-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #43
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If only they could build it alongside Falcon and Territory, and keep powertrain in business.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #44
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If only they could build it alongside Falcon and Territory, and keep powertrain in business.
Sustainability, Geelong needs an Ecoboost production line, only possible if FoA
were to win Mondeo and Kuga production for FAPA region I would think..
Old 07-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I've considered that a possibility too, or the diesel 4 cylinder.

Would require a big investment though.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #46
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've considered that a possibility too, or the diesel 4 cylinder.

Would require a big investment though.
Ford is spending close to $5 billion in Asia/China on catch up infrastructure, there's nothing wrong with
updating and protecting Australian assets like engine assembly that could secure even more local production.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #47
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Mondeo sells so badly because dealers just can't get desirable stock, local manufacturing of even imported stampings
and parts kits would get us out of FoE's end of the line waiting queue and give dealers stock they could sell like now.
So many of Ford's global platforms are just plain unobtainium because they are made elsewhere, it's a real problem...
Nah... this is rubbish.

Any car that has interest like your saying, and dealers can't get enough of, doesn't stay this way for long. Ford would have done something about supply already. They make Mondeo in five other countries already, so if it was the run away success that it is then it would be.

Truth is, Mondeo is still quite a big car, and people are walking away from big cars. But Falcon is more tempting than Mondeo.

Now to the OP. I've been saying for a quite a while that what Falcon needs is Lincoln to throw it a lifeline. However Lincoln aren't as autonomous as they seem, and probably work out of spare rooms at Dearborn. A fast, luxuriou, and capable sedan is waiting for Lincoln. But not while parent company Ford stands in the way.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #48
IDT
Marko

I have been on the blue team since I could walk, so it really pains me to say it but I can't help but think that Australia isn't even an after thought when it comes to Ford in Asia. Other than R&D and product development can anyone tell me what value Australian based manufacturing brings to the brand? The cost of keeping the doors open in Oz are far out weighed by the low costs of everything in asia. The scale of manufacturing required to service such a massive market is simply not achievable here. So why on earth, from a business perspective, would you keep manufacturing here?
Old 10-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #49
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Nah... this is rubbish.

Any car that has interest like your saying, and dealers can't get enough of, doesn't stay this way for long. Ford would have done something about supply already. They make Mondeo in five other countries already, so if it was the run away success that it is then it would be.
Respectfully, you are dead wrong. Go talk to a few dealers in the Eastern states.

Ford is heavily hamstrung with supply out of FoE due to our unique ADR builds,
meaning end of queue four months wait minimum and is the main reason for
switching Focus from Germany to Thailand to speed up deliveries.

The big problem is short supply of the 2.0 TDCI that goes into a lot of FoE vehicles,
There is no easy around this as Ford refuses to build a car diesel engine plant in
FAPA insisting that the Asian market prefers petrol engines.

Absolutely maddening situation for dealers.

Last edited by jpd80; 10-07-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #50
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Nah... this is rubbish.

Truth is, Mondeo is still quite a big car, and people are walking away from big cars. But Falcon is more tempting than Mondeo.
As far as i'm aware the only factory that builds Mondeo is Genk in Belgium. Its not made anywhere else.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #51
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As far as i'm aware the only factory that builds Mondeo is Genk in Belgium. Its not made anywhere else.
Vsevolozhsk, Russia and Chongquing, China.

Wikipedia is wrong about Rayong, Thailand - unless they know something we don't..
Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #52
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Thats a bit odd then, i've never heard of them being built outside of Genk.

But the reality is we would never source them from China or Russia, so that doesn't effect our supply levels here.

In Soviet Russia, Mondeo drives you.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #53
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Things are moving in China...

Quote:
Ford has said it will bring 15 new models and 20 new engines and transmissions to China by 2015.
BLOOMBERG

We know australia is developing the T6 SUV, but there is also the other car for the chinese market. I can't find any info on it, besides the old Go Auto artical.

So, being larger then a fiesta, (and its not the Figo)...is it some other SUV, or could it be a version of the mondeo? Or just a china market Focus?

Quote:
Company sources also have dismissed Australian involvement in a proposed sub-Fiesta city car for China, saying the Australian contribution is a somewhat larger vehicle – and larger than Fiesta.
Go Auto

Given china's love with SUV's, could the Territory be a viable option?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #54
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked

Or just a china market Focus?

Ahem.......
Old 10-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #55
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats a bit odd then, i've never heard of them being built outside of Genk.

But the reality is we would never source them from China or Russia, so that doesn't effect our supply levels here.

In Soviet Russia, Mondeo drives you.
Big push in 2009 for manufacturing of Mpndeo both in China and Russia

Pretty soon, Hermosillo will switch to Fusion based on Mondeo
and next year Flat Rock will be producing them too.

I would hope that Ford has the good sense to give the FAPA contract to Broadmeadows instead of Thailand,
basing all production there is 1) not necessary and 2) not smart with potential for flooding..
Old 10-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #56
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a Mondeo courtesy car for a while last Friday (after I handed back the S/C GTP!).

It was a diesel hatch and quite alright to drive. It had a lot of features that I wish could be in an FPV, such as keyless engine start, power folding mirrors, auto down/up driver and front passenger windows, front collision warning, and I'm pretty sure it had blind spot monitoring too.

I really enjoyed it. When I took it back to the dealer and asked why there wasn't one on the showroom floor the answer was "Can't get enough of them."

My sister is looking for a new car at the moment and I've suggested they could do worse than look at the Mondeo.
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #57
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Respectfully, you are dead wrong. Go talk to a few dealers in the Eastern states.

Ford is heavily hamstrung with supply out of FoE due to our unique ADR builds,
meaning end of queue four months wait minimum and is the main reason for
switching Focus from Germany to Thailand to speed up deliveries.

The big problem is short supply of the 2.0 TDCI that goes into a lot of FoE vehicles,
There is no easy around this as Ford refuses to build a car diesel engine plant in
FAPA insisting that the Asian market prefers petrol engines.

Absolutely maddening situation for dealers.
Okay... so the reason Mondeo sales are poor is because most orders are for the 2.0 TDCI, which most Europeans orders are for, and we can only get the leftovers?

And then what does all this have to do with our ADR? What has to be changed for ADR before being delivered? Ford chooses to sell this car here.
Old 13-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #58
Buntz
Straight Eight

Why is that sales of the "impossible-to-get" Mondeo are falling?
Old 14-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #59
morak001
460 - cubes torque

Just a query, when people talk about manufacturing in a country, ie Thailand, China, Russia, should there be a differentiation between CKD plants to avoid import duties into that country and manufacturing plants producing from basic materials?

I mean if a company has a plant in a particular country that exists only to manufacture from CKD they are far less likely to be a source of vehicles, and a threat, to AU manufacturers.
morak001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #60
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Other than stamping shells (and perhaps the I6), the Ford Australia assembly line really is just an assembler of parts from external suppliers anyway.

Or are Ford Oz making more than body stampings and the I6 for themselves these days?

Lukeyson