Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #31
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: QLD - changes to special interest rego

The problem is that whenever the government...any government...proposes a "simplified" system, it's anything but. It always...always, degrades into a system that is so user-unfriendly that people just give up. In this case, that would mean it would be so tangled that it would make people jus go to full rego. More money in the coffers.

Now, this has not been suggested by the government, but by car clubs themselves, apparently.
I'd still like to know what sort of moron came up with it and looked forward to handing the government on a platter something that would give them even more control over you than they already have? What club secretary or committee came up with this stupid idea, and for what reason?

I would bet my lefty that if the government listens (especially the cash-strapped Queensland government), it will not be a simple "90 calender day" scheme...it will involve a comprehensive "where'd you go and what did you do" log book, a kilometer limit per year, and other restrictions, as well as some clear way having to be thought of to identifiy what is a "club rego" car to the police. At the moment you can take off the "S" plates and put on personalised plates, and drive it as often as you like, where ever you like, and the police don't hassle you, as I said, they know they're well looked after old cars driven by careful people...hoons don't generally try and get club rego on thirty-plus year old cars...
Bring in this system, and it's just another log book that someone has to enforce and check up on regularly.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #32
BLU XR

Down in south oz we also have historic rego .vehicle must be 30 years old must remain as original as possible,no modifications.you must be a member of a car club that is affiliated with rego scheme.we can drive any time up to 90 days a year and must fill in log book vehicle, is check by car club every year.costs are around $200.00 a year
BLU XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #33
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
The problem is that whenever the government...any government...proposes a "simplified" system, it's anything but. It always...always, degrades into a system that is so user-unfriendly that people just give up. In this case, that would mean it would be so tangled that it would make people jus go to full rego. More money in the coffers.

Now, this has not been suggested by the government, but by car clubs themselves, apparently.
I'd still like to know what sort of moron came up with it and looked forward to handing the government on a platter something that would give them even more control over you than they already have? What club secretary or committee came up with this stupid idea, and for what reason?

I would bet my lefty that if the government listens (especially the cash-strapped Queensland government), it will not be a simple "90 calender day" scheme...it will involve a comprehensive "where'd you go and what did you do" log book, a kilometer limit per year, and other restrictions, as well as some clear way having to be thought of to identifiy what is a "club rego" car to the police. At the moment you can take off the "S" plates and put on personalised plates, and drive it as often as you like, where ever you like, and the police don't hassle you, as I said, they know they're well looked after old cars driven by careful people...hoons don't generally try and get club rego on thirty-plus year old cars...
Bring in this system, and it's just another log book that someone has to enforce and check up on regularly.

Sorry dont follow how your presuming something on a rumoured proposal?
90days a year on top of what the rules state now can hardly be described as MORE controlling?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #34
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

As a president of a car club, I haven't heard anything on this matter, but we are only a small club. So they only might of contacted the big or major clubs. Neither the less, I think it would be a great idea and I always liked that about Vic roads club rego.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #35
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Sorry dont follow how your presuming something on a rumoured proposal?
90days a year on top of what the rules state now can hardly be described as MORE controlling?
I can see where he is coming from on this matter and he has got a point. They could look at it as a chance to change the whole system and be like SA, where your car has to be stantard. So no mods if it came out with a 6 then it has to have a 6 in it to get club rego. I think even the wheels you run in SA have to be as from factory. (correct me if I'm wrong) So that could mean a whole lot of cars out there on club rego with mods, will have to go to full rego.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #36
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:

vic has just implemented the system in question and many people have taken up the offer, because it makes it much cheaper for the people who were on full rego. the only reason we took up the cheaper permit is because it is now so much easier to drive around on a club permit

you mentioned earlier, that some people have driven around with club permit plates and not had a problem with the law. if by chance, they are picked up, they will be charged with driving an unregistered car. in the worse case scenario, they would not have any 3rd party injury insurance. nor would they have property insurance because the car was not registered. possibly the log book system is a way to make everyone play by the rules - plus the fact it was too hard to police. now if you are 100 metres from your driveway and the log book isn't filled in, there are no excuses . . . it is in black and white
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #37
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
I can see where he is coming from on this matter and he has got a point. They could look at it as a chance to change the whole system and be like SA, where your car has to be stantard. So no mods if it came out with a 6 then it has to have a 6 in it to get club rego. I think even the wheels you run in SA have to be as from factory. (correct me if I'm wrong) So that could mean a whole lot of cars out there on club rego with mods, will have to go to full rego.
"No modifications"...? Hell, three quarters of the cars I've ever seen on club rego (apart from some vintage ones) have been hot rods or modified cars of some sort or another...
Old 28-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #38
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's just another revinue raising,bureaucrat employing W O F T A M idea. No more runs down to the corner shop to get the sunday paper, no drives around the block- "just because you can"..... Log book BS crap! Every mile on the speedo to be accounted for! What aload of ******! (Have buy a 2nd speedo to use!) Haven't you all noticed everything the government "Simplifies" or "de-regulates" to to CRAP and costs more?
Yes i would go to full rego, but that's the whole idea of it isn't it?
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #39
gtxb67

where is a link to these restrictions - in victoria, our speedo reading is not noted. we drive as far as we like on the day we pre-filled out the log book. if we are out until midnight, we make another entry - big deal

a short trip to the shop is a stupid idea if the appropriate permit is not issued. I would have expected only commode dore drivers with their cap on backwards to drive an unregistered car. good luck if you hit someone

this thread makes it obvious why no good changes are made. the people who will benefit the most just complain anyway and it all gets too hard
Old 28-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #40
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
where is a link to these restrictions - in victoria, our speedo reading is not noted. we drive as far as we like on the day we pre-filled out the log book. if we are out until midnight, we make another entry - big deal

a short trip to the shop is a stupid idea if the appropriate permit is not issued. I would have expected only commode dore drivers with their cap on backwards to drive an unregistered car. good luck if you hit someone

this thread makes it obvious why no good changes are made. the people who will benefit the most just complain anyway and it all gets too hard

Its only a few people who cant see the obvious, that allowing you to drive unrestricted on a club rego is less restrictive then the current rules we have in QLD.

Filling out a log book is just "too hard".... life is so hard ...

Current QLD rules for historic registered vehicles can be read here:

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/c3...heme_guide.pdf

participating in rallies organised by incorporated car clubs

participating in processions for which a Special Events Permit has been issued under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management –Accreditation and Other Provisions) Regulation 2005

exhibiting the vehicle in displays, fetes or similar functions conducted for religious, charitable or educational purposes

ceremonial purposes (weddings, formals) involving immediate family members provided this is not done for fee or reward. Immediate family means parents, grandparents, sons, daughters, grandchildren but not extended family relationships such as nephews and nieces

preparing for, proceeding to, and returning from the above activities

direct travel to and from an Approved Inspection Station for the purposes of obtaining a safety certificate before offering the vehicle for sale

travel in order to have the vehicle repaired. There is no distance restriction in these circumstances. However, such travel must be reasonable and openly justified by the vehicle operator.

road testing within a 15 kilometre radius from the place where the vehicle is garaged. The purpose of the travel must be to road test the vehicle following repair or restoration and not for any other purpose. This does not include use as a means of transport.

buses are permitted to carry non-fare paying passengers for journeys (joy-rides) from an event (e.g. fete) and return provided the length of the journey does not exceed 5 kilometres. Payment of any kind cannot be received for these journeys.

heavy vehicles over 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass (GVM) are permitted to carry a load provided the loaded GVM or gross combination mass (GCM) does not exceed 50% of the maximum permitted mass for the vehicle configuration. This mass is based on the lesser of:
1. Individual Axle ratings 3. Manufacturer's GVM or GCM
2. Tyre Manufacturer's limits 4. Regulation Mass Limits
The load carried must be in relation to or part of the reason for the vehicle's use under the scheme.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #41
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

i wish i was able to put a EL fairmont on this i dont even drive the el 90 days a year and last year i only done 2500 in the EL !
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #42
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Its only a few . . . vehicle's use under the scheme.
from what I have read here, I cannot see a problem. maybe someone in vic can confirm, but it seems to me the only change was more freedoms and that to me was a good thing
Old 29-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #43
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A "trade plate" type of system would be better for owners of a few cars with multiple rego's to pay,ie one set of plates you can use for your collection, seeing as you can only drive one at a time anyhow.
Then we get the old arguement about the cost to register 4,6 & 8 cylinders in Qld, they all cost the same under SIVs, so why not the same under full rego?
I just don't like the idea of keeping the logbook.
Old 29-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #44
EFFalcon
Last warning

trade plate type system would be fantastic.
But incredibly hard to police.

atleast club permit cars are still 'on the system' and have a single plate number to identify them.

the log book entry is barely an issue, date, where/why, sign.
woop de doo.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #45
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosacuda
A "trade plate" type of system would be better for owners of a few cars with multiple rego's to pay,ie one set of plates you can use for your collection, seeing as you can only drive one at a time anyhow.
Then we get the old arguement about the cost to register 4,6 & 8 cylinders in Qld, they all cost the same under SIVs, so why not the same under full rego?
I just don't like the idea of keeping the logbook.
Why not? A lot of people do it for their work vehicles anyway for tax purposes.

I'm welcoming this change - same reasons as previous posters; I pay full rego so that I can drive it whenever.

If these changes come in, it will defintely get a local car club another member.
lilmattie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #46
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Now, this has not been suggested by the government, but by car clubs themselves, apparently. I'd still like to know what sort of moron came up with it and looked forward to handing the government on a platter something that would give them even more control over you than they already have? What club secretary or committee came up with this stupid idea, and for what reason?

I see what you're saying about the government and they 'could' very well do that... but they could have done that previously anyway.

Quote:
At the moment you can take off the "S" plates and put on personalised plates, and drive it as often as you like, where ever you like, and the police don't hassle you, as I said, they know they're well looked after old cars driven by careful people...hoons don't generally try and get club rego on thirty-plus year old cars...
Illegal. And I don't necessarily agree with the hoons not driving 30+ year old cars or being on club rego for that matter. I've seen plenty. In and out of car clubs.

Quote:
I'd still like to know what sort of moron came up with it
Please try and be a little civil. There are a lot of people on here that you just called 'morons'. I'd say the idea was proposed by people who don't want to pay for full rego to use their cars when they want to; and not be driving their cars illegally when not on a club run or testing. Apart from the previously stated rules in current effect of course.

Quote:
What club secretary or committee came up with this stupid idea, and for what reason?
Same reason as I just said above.

Last edited by lilmattie; 29-08-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 29-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #47
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
from what I have read here, I cannot see a problem. maybe someone in vic can confirm, but it seems to me the only change was more freedoms and that to me was a good thing
Agreed. If the proposed system is not in 'addition' to the existing restricions in place - then it will be a very good thing for classic car owners.

Last edited by lilmattie; 29-08-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 29-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #48
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
trade plate type system would be fantastic.
But incredibly hard to police.

atleast club permit cars are still 'on the system' and have a single plate number to identify them.

the log book entry is barely an issue, date, where/why, sign.
woop de doo.
Agreed.

It's not a hard choice when you're presented with the options.

Under current rules:
1. Drive the car under club rego use a personalized plate. Issue: Illegal.
2. Wait for a club run.
3. Limited drive to mechanic or test run 15km.
<or>
Full rego - drive it whenever and wherever.

Under new rules:
1. Drive the car under club rego whenever you want. Make a daily entry in a log. Maximum 90 days driving...

The choice is obvious to me.
Old 29-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #49
red80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anyone has filled in a log book for a car for work they can be a pain but that is every day. If I can drive when ever I want and have to spend 30 seconds scribling in the speedo readings when I drive it (maybe once a week) sign me up.
Depending on what other limitations they implement I think it would be a good thing.
red80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #50
gtxb67

in vic you put in the date, the driver and a basic description. no speedo readings
Old 29-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #51
DMN8RX

..just a cautionary word for fellow qlders on club rego as it stands..

no, the plods dont give a rats generally for the fore mentioned reasons but mostly coz they dont like extra paperwork..

however, should you be involved in an accident while driving on club rego to 'wherever' or 'whenever' and not within the specified qld rules, you wont be covered by either your insurance or your compulsory third party insurance..

thats why i keep mine on full rego...the cost of entertainment..
Old 31-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #52
M-Dog

Does anybody know any more on this subject?

I e-mailed my Club (joined recently) and they said they didn't know anything about it. Seems not all clubs were e-mailed/communicated with of the possibility for changes. I think that alone is unfair on the clubs and their members as they are registered and I'm also sure they would have liked to voice their opinnion.

Personally I think it would be great to see a change to allow more freedom!

M.
M-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #53
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simple solution- Full rego and no restrictions for cars over 30 years old at the same rate it is now ($180/year) on the priviso the owner is a financial member of a car club AND 12 monthly roadworthy inspections and verification of the vehicle. My reasons are that not all of the cars on the SIVs rego would be used everyday, and most if not all of them are maintained and kept in a roadworthy condition anyway.
Old 31-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #54
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Simple solution- Full rego and no restrictions for cars over 30 years old at the same rate it is now ($180/year) on the priviso the owner is a financial member of a car club AND 12 monthly roadworthy inspections and verification of the vehicle. My reasons are that not all of the cars on the SIVs rego would be used everyday, and most if not all of them are maintained and kept in a roadworthy condition anyway.
That sounds far too much like common sense...remember it's the government we're talking about...we'll have none of that thank you...
Old 31-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #55
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh Bugger! Forgot myself momentarily there! An idea that makes sense,not money.
Old 31-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #56
caprispecial

Quote:
All ok except for the yearly roadworthy. As you said, classic cars are usualy kept in excellant condition anyway so what would be the point. The trouble is when someone has a few classics then yearly roadworthies would be an expensive pain.
caprispecial is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #57
M-Dog

Hey Boys,
Is any-one a member of a club that actually responded to this opinion poll/communication on Club Rego?
I would like to hear about what was said and where it might be going or is it just something else for the gov' to tease us with?

Would like to follow this one if any-one has some news on it.

Thanks,
M.
M-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #58
sudszy
Banned

Quote:

Seems unreasonable to me. $180 rego for 30+ year old cars, Id still be using mine as a daily if that was the case, effectively being subsidised by those that are paying full rego, why should I deserve a discount?.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #59
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU XR
Down in south oz we also have historic rego .vehicle must be 30 years old must remain as original as possible,no modifications.you must be a member of a car club that is affiliated with rego scheme.we can drive any time up to 90 days a year and must fill in log book vehicle, is check by car club every year.costs are around $200.00 a year

Just stumbled on this thread. The S.A system is correct with what is written here, however not all clubs require a vehicle inspection by the club every year. I have 4 on this system and they were only inspected for the purpose of seeing if they comply with the regs.

The VIC system was modelled from the S.A system.

Someone else within this thread mentioned something about not changing engine capacities. The historic scheme in S.A operates on what is available from teh factory. ie If the car came from the factory with a V8 and your particular car was only fitted with a 6 when it left the production line, you can fit a V8 and have it on historic rego.

SUDZY.
Why is it unreasonable. 2nd thoughts. I have previously said to you, stick your nose out of this sort of discussion. You clearly have no understanding on how the system works, or even why it exists.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone

Last edited by Raptor; 10-09-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: provocative personal comments deleted
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #60
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In England if the car is older than 30 years you pay no "road tax" at all...