Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #31
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Now you're just grossly exaggerating.

who is?
Old 27-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #32
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Interestingly they have called it a 'fake roadsign', rather than a sign which an council/RTA worker has put in the wrong spot, which is more likely.

"POLICE have been left red-faced after a someone erected a fake road sign to ease traffic in a Sydney suburban street."
Old 27-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #33
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Who reads speed signs? mearly a suggestion made by someone with a bowls hat on aren't they...........lol...

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 27-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #34
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm, A lot of people really don't understand this.

The people who were fined DID NOT BREAK THE LAW. The sign was wrong. Whether they knew that or not was irrelevent.

Remember ignorance is no excuse for breaking or obeying a law.

There is a 70km/h sign up here that is next to a caravan park and is stolen/knocked over on a very regular basis. When it is not there the speed limit is still 70 not 60 nor 100. I know that it is a 70 zone and I have checked with the appropriate people to ensure that the sign is not the final designator, doing over 70 would be illegal.

Fake speed limit signs are not uncommon in large car parks and "trendy" estates. They are like the "Vehicles will be towed" signs. All bark no bite.

There was a (\\) sign put up on a road close to me recently (pic in another thread) instead of a 100. It lasted about 2 weeks. Do you really think I could have got away with 220km/h (which of course I would never do)?

There are far too many sheep driving on the roads (and posting on this forum).
Old 27-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #35
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

A little off topic to begin with but it makes sense in the end...

What I find a little worrying is that signage throughout Newcastle down to Sydney (especially near Gosford) takes a Brain Surgeon to understand (not speaking of others as I don’t have any experience there). There are so many times that you drive past a sign, especially roadwork signs (they’re my pet hate) and they often don’t have an "end of Roadwork" sign.

If this Sydney street can erect a sign and drivers get let off for disobeying a sign that probably looked really close to real thing, then what’s to say that a driver cant plead ignorance due to old roadwork signs or ones that don’t have roadwork ends etc which mean you drive 3-4 kmhs at a lower speed with people almost collecting you doing a much higher speed?

Point is, if there is a sign there then it needs to be obeyed, but not only that! The RTA needs to be consistent with its signage! Sure the Sydney sign was fake, but cant the RTA who puts the "real" signs out there at least get it right, so we all don’t drive around wondering if the person putting out signs was on drugs at the time or someone is putting up signs to suit themselves?!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 27-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #36
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless they were the RTA area manager, I am unsure exactly how Joe Blow motorist knew it was a fake, unless there had been an article in the local rag or something.

Turning right when there is a No Right Turn sign is not something I would do. I take your point Flappist that the actual law isn't changed by the fake sign - hence the fines and demerits are being reversed in this case. When I am driving though I am hard pressed complying with all I have to comply with rather than taking my chances on whether a legit looking sign is in fact real or not. The odds of it being illegitimate are miniscule compared with the likelihood of it being real and me getting pinged.
Old 27-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #37
Hitman
Way over here

This thread is heading downhill fast.

My understanding is now that any and all roadsigns may or may not be fake.
That 70 sign may be fake so I better do 40 just incase. That 'wrong way go back' sign may be false, so I better just sit there and wait to see if anybody else goes down this road first.....get my point?

Roadsigns are taken on 'Face Value' I wouldn't have a clue what the speedlimit is on Harry St, Nth Balwyn, if the sign says 50, thats what I'll do, if its actually 40 and I get pinged for 10 over I'll be off to court to fight it. Likewise if the sign says 'No Right Turn' I won't turn right.
Old 27-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #38
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
This thread is heading downhill fast.

My understanding is now that any and all roadsigns may or may not be fake.
That 70 sign may be fake so I better do 40 just incase. That 'wrong way go back' sign may be false, so I better just sit there and wait to see if anybody else goes down this road first.....get my point?

Roadsigns are taken on 'Face Value' I wouldn't have a clue what the speedlimit is on Harry St, Nth Balwyn, if the sign says 50, thats what I'll do, if its actually 40 and I get pinged for 10 over I'll be off to court to fight it. Likewise if the sign says 'No Right Turn' I won't turn right.
well posted

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #39
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for this sign to even look "real" it would have to be in a logical spot.

a "wrong way go back sign" inside a suburban street would be odd just thinking about it, because it would have to be INSIDE the actual street to be seen.

if it was outside the street then it would not pertain to that street.

so what do you do? go in, then have to chuck a u-turn?

it dos'nt make sense.
Old 27-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #40
EF Hoon
Sideways in my 33!

im 4 houses away from this street sign, and i prob did 50 illegal left turns in the last 3months.. didnt even notice it was there lol
but i can imagine there was ALOT of angry residents blowing up at the cops when they got pinged for this, i know i sure would have.
Old 27-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #41
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Quote:
I have checked with the appropriate people to ensure that the sign is not the final designator, doing over 70 would be illegal.

Fake speed limit signs are not uncommon in large car parks and "trendy" estates. They are like the "Vehicles will be towed" signs. All bark no bite.
mmmm... I have wondered about this, as the entire residential estate I live in is apparently a 40 KPH zone, but I know the signs were erected by the developer(so were the roads and drainage however).I have always thought that it should be 50KPH just like most of the residential streets in the suburb outside of the estate.
My question to you Flappist: Who are the appropriate people to check legitimacy of signage with? Main Roads or local authority?
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
Old 27-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #42
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72
mmmm... I have wondered about this, as the entire residential estate I live in is apparently a 40 KPH zone, but I know the signs were erected by the developer(so were the roads and drainage however).I have always thought that it should be 50KPH just like most of the residential streets in the suburb outside of the estate.
My question to you Flappist: Who are the appropriate people to check legitimacy of signage with? Main Roads or local authority?

FTE72 in your case you should check with the local Council's traffic dept, these guys will know what the signage would be even if it is not a local government controlled road. If you look at a particular road in the Melway (melbourne) and I presume Brisway in Brisbane the roads are colour coded, when you go to the key to map symbols it will show you who controls what, but again your local Council Traffic guys should know whats going on.
Old 27-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #43
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Its still a totally illogical example...

If the sign was hand drawn and asking you to do 150kph your example might work.
ha ha but thats basicly what it was.
a two way street suddenly becomes an exprees way with "go back your going the wrong way" sign.
in a 50k zone??
Old 27-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #44
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
There are far too many sheep driving on the roads (and posting on this forum).
Not to mention too many self righteous know it alls.

Oo\===/oO
Old 27-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #45
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
1. sign was illegal. thats the crux. if it was'nt there no one would be fined and this would not be happening.

money will be reimbursed but the person responsible should be charged.

Hey LTD, how about this then.

Lets say, according to your "The sign wasn't legal, so you can ignore it" stance, and given that the sign was obviously well enough made that it fooled our amazingly adept constabulary, whats your take on this.

I should ignore all signs because I figure they could be fake.

Get off your soap box. No one is saying that the people won't be reimbursed, just that if they are dumb enough to blatantly ignore the sign, they probably don't deserve it, cause they are MORONS!

Mike
Old 27-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #46
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I think the question we should be asking here first, is how the hell, does a resident go about erecting a sign in a public area?

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 27-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #47
burnz
VFII SS UTE

how does that resident go home at night when he lives in a dead end street (basicly)
Old 27-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #48
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I think the question we should be asking here first, is how the hell, does a resident go about erecting a sign in a public area?
Very easy apparently....a friend (and his neighbours) had a very peacefull and quite street for about 9 months, before the authorities twigged to the "No Through Road" sign that is....

Go here and buy what you like.... http://www.adeptsafetyonline.com.au/...84/page/914783 .....a couple of shifters and clamps and you should be right, hope this helps...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 27-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #49
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I'm no stranger to taking signs...I have a "Danger, Work Above sign" on the end of my bed I 'aquired' one day. Was easy to remove.

Never knew you could buy your own as easy as that!! You'd think one would have to provide a reason for buying, etc...Spose anyone could think up something though.

Learn something new everyday.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Old 27-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72
Well mine wears blue pajamas but local council are the authority for local roads.

Write them a letter and ask.
Old 27-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #51
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Well mine wears blue pajamas but local council are the authority for local roads.

Write them a letter and ask.
I worked for Council here in Cairns as Technical Officer...Don't write in, phone up the main switch and ask to speak to the relevent manager. If they are busy, return calls, etc and really pester them.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 27-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #52
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Hey LTD, how about this then.

Lets say, according to your "The sign wasn't legal, so you can ignore it" stance, and given that the sign was obviously well enough made that it fooled our amazingly adept constabulary, whats your take on this.

I should ignore all signs because I figure they could be fake.

Get off your soap box. No one is saying that the people won't be reimbursed, just that if they are dumb enough to blatantly ignore the sign, they probably don't deserve it, cause they are MORONS!

Mike

umm how many of our "adept" traffic constabulary think outside the box when confronted with a rule or a question regarding road rules?

(before people go off, i am not saying all are this mentally challenged on this point.)

did you read the article?

hundreds got fined.... how many complaints you reackon? how many officers would have heard, "but, dude traffic is coming from both sides"!!??!!

"here's the ticket, take it up with the courts".......

i'm happy to be up on my soap box on this one.
Old 27-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #53
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
i hope they will pay for lost jobs, pain and suffering for people who had to lose their houses etc etc...
Don't forget the nuclear war victims of this tragic event....
Old 27-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #54
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
Very easy apparently....a friend (and his neighbours) had a very peacefull and quite street for about 9 months, before the authorities twigged to the "No Through Road" sign that is....

Go here and buy what you like.... http://www.adeptsafetyonline.com.au/...84/page/914783 .....a couple of shifters and clamps and you should be right, hope this helps...

you would think it was illegal unless it was a govt body buying them....., or a private contractor working on behalf of govt....
Old 27-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #55
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
you would think it was illegal unless it was a govt body buying them....., or a private contractor working on behalf of govt....
Not realy, their are plenty of places where private enterprise use the same signage, i guess its to keep things familiar....

Order over the net, nobody has to pinch them....

http://www.advancedroadsigns.com.au/Guide_Signs_s/8.htm

by the way i am not suggesting everyone goes out and starts putting there own signs up, just pointing out there is nothing mysterious about having/buying them....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 27-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #56
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 27-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #57
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Hmm, A lot of people really don't understand this.

The people who were fined DID NOT BREAK THE LAW. The sign was wrong. Whether they knew that or not was irrelevent.
Sure they didn't technically break the law, but if they made the turn without knowing the sign was misplaced, then they are fools. Many of them wouldn't have known it was wrongly placed unless they lived there. These are the same breed of people who don't care to obey the road rules. For all they knew, the sign could have been there as sanctioned by authorities. Until they found out for sure, ignoring it was the wrong thing to do seeing as it looked legit enough to fool police on numerous occasions. And let's not get into the "police are stupid/robots" argument because that disgusts me. There are plenty of dumb signs around my area, but I obey them because I don't pretend I own the road. If there is a stupid sign, the appropriate thing is to find out from the authorities if it has been wrongly erected. Only then you will know for sure, and only then are you not a douchebag for thinking you know better.
Old 27-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #58
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might make for an interesting time for the sign "nay sayers" if they ever came across a "bridge closed" sign on a country road.
Ive often wondered if i pulled what looked like a gun on a cop and got shot 8 times if he would be charged with murder or self defense...

Old 27-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #59
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Ive often wondered if i pulled what looked like a gun on a cop and got shot 8 times if he would be charged with murder or self defense...
Now who's being ridiculous?

Oo\===/oO
Old 27-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #60
Kawasakirider

If the sign was on a road which allows drivers to drive each way, how the hell did the police not have the common sense to NOT fine the driver?

Further more, if people drive that route every day, they might know that road very well and know that they are, by law, allowed to drive the way they went. I realise road rules can change and you must obey ALL signs and not take it into your own hands to judge whether or not it's a psuedo sign or not, but a wrong way go back sign in a dual direction suburban street is ridiculous.
Closed Thread