Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #31
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i adjusted mine about 2 years ago and it's still fine, may need it again soon, takes about 8 clicks to hold the car on a moderate hill before putting it into park... au1 by the way, as above, if you know how to adjust them properly there is nothing wrong with them, think about it, it needs a working handbrake to pass rego....
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #32
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

They are a huge problem. I used to work at a dealer up until 2 years ago. I would adjust BA's all the time. Nearly as frequently as we would machine discs. Theres a full TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about them, such is the problem. I have to say that I do beleive on the BA's that people do often overload them, but they aren't a good design never the less.

We had our BA for 5 years, 130,000km and I only ever adjusted the handbrake once. My AU XR8 on the other hand needed to be adjusted a few times. But the problem is that there is usually a number of problems. Not many people seem to be able to get it sroted the first time because they aren't exactly sure why it's not adjusting properly, and sometimes it's too hard to tell. It could be the cable stretched, it could be the shoes worn, it could be the adjusting wheels seized, it could be an issue to do with the banksia arm location/wear.

There is many threads about this issue including an self adjustment guide based on Fords TSB that I have compiled some 2 and a half years ago. If anyone needs it search for "proper fix wanted for dissapearing handbrake" in the B-series section.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #33
Shounak

There's a good sign.

A mechanic who doesn't think that adjusting a handbrake is merely tightening the cable from the cabin.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #34
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Well, people shouldn't have problems with their handbrake if they park their cars in gear though.......... :

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #35
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounak
There's a good sign.

A mechanic who doesn't think that adjusting a handbrake is merely tightening the cable from the cabin.
The problem is that adjusting a BA handbrake is not part of the service. It's actually a TSB which Ford allocate a time of around an hour to complete, not including machine the lip in the inner part of the disc (drum) if required. A lot of customers (rightly so) couldn't get their head around paying $100+ labour to essentially service a component which hasn't been engineered properly.

As ford lists hanbrakes and components as servicable items, no warranty issues can be claimed unless it's proven that there was a fault with in the components themselves, which caused premature waear of something else, rather than just wearing out. We made it mandatory to report if the handbrake needed adjustment, as just adjusting the cable would result it problems arising later on, usually the end result being more costly to the customer.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #36
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

can't fault my BA utes handbrake at all... will happily lock the rears at 30kph with the clutch engaged

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #37
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Apart from the mechanics who dont adjust them correctly, its probably because of drivers who habitually pull up the handbrake lever tightly every time even when parking in the garage at home when its not necessary. This causes the cable and mechanism to stretch and wear unnecessarily, then when they really need the handbrake to work properly when parking on a slope, it doesnt.

Also, it is dangerous to put the transmission into Park before applying the handbrake, as you are then unaware the handbrake is ineffective, since the car is then held by the transmission. If you correctly apply the handbrake first, then release the footbrake, the car should hold on the slope before you shift the transmission into Park.

Sorry for bringing that up in this thread, but that is an important point when discussing ineffective handbrakes, as you dont know the handbrake is ineffective unless you try it every time on its own.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 04-09-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #38
colossus
Secret Sleuth

The wifes BA XR6 was bought new and had handbrake problems from almost day 1 - everytime you took it in, they wanted to charge you to adjust saying it did not come under warranty. That attitude really pi$$ed us off, if its broke from day 1 then how is it not under warranty...idiots. I havnt come across a BA that hasn't had handbrake problems so I dont know what some of you are on about either...

The swoosh, swoosh, swoosh noise always gives away a late model falcon or commodore in an underground car park as well.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #39
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
The wifes BA XR6 was bought new and had handbrake problems from almost day 1 - everytime you took it in, they wanted to charge you to adjust saying it did not come under warranty. That attitude really pi$$ed us off, if its broke from day 1 then how is it not under warranty...idiots. I havnt come across a BA that hasn't had handbrake problems so I dont know what some of you are on about either...

The swoosh, swoosh, swoosh noise always gives away a late model falcon or commodore in an underground car park as well.
My BA1 Ghia handbrake works fine on my steep driveway, and does not go swoosh swoosh. Yours probably just needs a correct adjustment by someone who knows how to do it.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #40
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
It is true, trawl through these forums and you will see many people complaining about them. I'm glad that you are yet to experience a dodgy one, but how many AU-BF Falcons have you had for you to make such a broad statement. There is a problem, even Ford know that as they have modified the FG's. Also there is no point in comparing anything pre AU as the design was differrent, I could never fault my EL, my old man's EB or my Step dad's XD.

Fair comment Russ, I have only owned 2 myself but we have had plenty of fleet BA's BF's etc and haven't ever had an issue....I guess the main reason that I am surprised by this (maybe a little blunt and blanketing on my last statement, my apologies!) is that I have done way more miles in these cars than your average commuter or owner, including innumerate rental Fords in all states too.From some of the posts in another thread, I frankly am not surprised some have problems with their handbrakes if they choose not to bother putting their cars into park............the biggest problem with devices tends to be the people using them!
From this experience which covers more cars than most folk would use I thought that I would have come across it- please don't get me wrong, clearly it is an issue from what posters here are saying but I must be lucky as I nor anyone I know who owns one of these cars has had it!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 10:26 PM   #41
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

as a friend of mine says there are just too many ford out there
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #42
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
My ED hasn't had the hand brake since it left the factory.

Works perfect.
Umm, ED brakes are different to that of the BA-BF.

I already commented on the handbrake design. Poorly engineered, on a 1 piece ring than a 2 piece double leading edge (floating) drum system. (IMHO is the best there is). Don't know what Ford were thinking in going away from this design.

I think Ford tried to re-invent the wheel. One's wheel doesn't need fixed until a spoke is broken.

But the only way to fix these issues, is to adjust it slightly tighter than looser.
Maybe Ford do it tight, so you will be less often to come back to them. (complain less)

I've done a few adjustments, and the only one that really works well and for a long time, is to do it up tight (just where the disc stops) and back of a couple of notches on the adjuster wheel. I did it the proper way (Ford's way) and all it did was create the squeak sqeak noise in about 4 weeks.
Handbrake lever was around 2-3 notches.
Never felt better.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #43
timace

The one in my BA 'mont is about as useless as a one-legged man in an kicking contest.
Has had the problem since I picked it up (second hand) a few months back, but I haven't been -too- worried as it's an auto and the Park Brake works fine.

Never had an issue with the handbrake in the ED, EL or TX5.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:06 AM   #44
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
It is true, trawl through these forums and you will see many people complaining about them. I'm glad that you are yet to experience a dodgy one, but how many AU-BF Falcons have you had for you to make such a broad statement. There is a problem, even Ford know that as they have modified the FG's. Also there is no point in comparing anything pre AU as the design was differrent, I could never fault my EL, my old man's EB or my Step dad's XD.
My last 4 cars have been an AU falcon, 2 BA falcons and now a Territory and i have not had a single pronlem with any of them. Must have just been lucky.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 12:24 AM   #45
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

had my BAute for 5 years and only needed to adjust the hand brake once , about 2 years ago. it was starting to squeak sometimes as i started to move off. was getting a couple of things fixed up before warrenty ran out and mentioned it to the ford guys. they cleaned the brakes and adjusted (no charge ) and its been fine since.

117000km and i could not fault it.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 12:51 AM   #46
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Nearly ALL our fleet Fords hand brake is hardly adusted up correctly..
I would say bad pre delivery work..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #47
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsports_cars
as a friend of mine says there are just too many ford out there
:
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #48
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

Ford have had 4 attempts at my car. I have given up now.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #49
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I should open a business, I reckon I'd make enough money adjusting handbrakes all day. LIke I've said before, these handbrakes CAN be fixed, theres just a range of reasons as to why they are not holding, and it's very difficult to to get it right thr first time. In a time concious work place, often things can be overlooked. If you're getting Ford to do your handbrake, make it clear from the very start that you want your handbrake fixed PROPERLY. Just be preparied to pay, as it could mean you'll need hub machinging, new handbrake shoes, new cables and all the labour associated with it. This is more likely if your car is a pre 04 BA that has had problems in the past.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #50
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
I should open a business, I reckon I'd make enough money adjusting handbrakes all day. LIke I've said before, these handbrakes CAN be fixed, theres just a range of reasons as to why they are not holding, and it's very difficult to to get it right thr first time. In a time concious work place, often things can be overlooked. If you're getting Ford to do your handbrake, make it clear from the very start that you want your handbrake fixed PROPERLY. Just be preparied to pay, as it could mean you'll need hub machinging, new handbrake shoes, new cables and all the labour associated with it. This is more likely if your car is a pre 04 BA that has had problems in the past.
But this is why it is Ford's fault.

A handbrake should not be designed so that it's "difficult to get right the first time". FFS, it's only a handbrake!

An owner of a 4 year old car should not have to consider paying for "hub machining, new handbrake shoes, new cables and all the labour associated with it". FFS, it's only a handbrake!.

This problem should have been picked up in pre production AU testing.

Having missed that, Ford should have fixed it with the change over to AU2, when they sorted some of the other brake stuff ups.

There is absolutely no excuse for it still being a problem from BA onwards. It is a shocking reflection on Ford's engineering skills and quality control, and would have been so easy to rectify. FFS, it's only a handbrake!.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #51
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

It's coz there are so many damn engineers out there and so many middle management idiots that need to be fired, and keep trying to justify there job title.
If Ford done a good clean out of all the engineers and middle management types, a lot more would get done quicker in stead of having the same meeting everyday where you come away with nothing and don't move any further!

We'll see how the FG pulls up hey? It's a different setup that hopefully will work and stop this line of crap handbrakes!

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2008, 05:41 PM   #52
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

As was said before, its the mechanics who dont adjust them correctly and rectify as necessary, either dont know how, or take the lazy way.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #53
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

^^^^^^Agree. I adjust mine properly and don't just do it by the cable nut. Haven't had any probs with my handbrake at all. And I work at Ford!! Believe it or not : So take that- FPV_GT40

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #54
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tschhh, tschhh, tschhh - there goes another BA past me down the road. You can hear most of the things before you see them. It seems that you either get one that works, or one that doesn't. Our BA one never really worked from day one - hence two bits of timber in the boot for steep hills and the boat ramp. Just what you would expect from a $40K car??? Never pulled it up over tight, never did handbrakies, always, always used the park brake (or my car would be somewhere else when I returned). Ford never mentioned anything about cost though when it was returned each time though so not sure if I was charged or not.

My NC Fairlane underdash job is fantastic though. My two EF's weren't as good as the NC, but still not as bad as the BA. Some AU work fleet cars had the issue too. No other cars I have owned have had the problem though, even a cheap new Hyundai.

The Tschhh's seem to come from some Commo's and Magna's as well. Who is the supplier?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #55
Supercharged

I had a problem with an AU handbrake, mechanic said the ford AU on are easly damaged if driven with them partly on as they are a mini shoe that operates on the inside of the bell part of a disk rota, only way to fix them is to re-line the hand brake shoe if they are left on when moving, he also said they can be damaged if pulled on suddenly with the vehicle rolling backwards.
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #56
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG Turbo Ute
I had a problem with an AU handbrake, mechanic said the ford AU on are easly damaged if driven with them partly on as they are a mini shoe that operates on the inside of the bell part of a disk rota, only way to fix them is to re-line the hand brake shoe if they are left on when moving, he also said they can be damaged if pulled on suddenly with the vehicle rolling backwards.
I always drove my BA with the handbrake partially on. :
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #57
snakeoil
Snake Oil

Only my thoughts....2 BF's (the current vehicles) 3 BA's 2 AU's
No handbrake issues that I can recall but have changed Pads a bit earlier than in previous models but as cost time is SFA no bother

Cheers

2015 Mercedes C180 Coupe White/Black
2011 FG GS Ute manual #246 White/Black
2010 Chrysler Sebring limited hardtop Silver/grey
2003 UX Explorer V8 White/grey
2008 Suzuki Bandit GSF 1250 Black
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour Black
2011 Glastron GT 185 (USA made bowrider)White/Black
1988 Komatsu FG10 Forklift
FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria #975
Ullysees Member #18,554
snakeoil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2008, 12:09 AM   #58
jamieh
hawkeye

Having worked for a ford dealership from xf - au we were one of the rare workshops that still pulled wheels off to check brakes and adjust every service. The trick is how many guys back the adjustment off in the cabin before adjusting at the wheels? 98% of handbrake adjustment problems I have encountered have been due to people shortcutting ie: adjust in cabin and not wheels or adjust at wheels without backing off in cabin. I think in doing that we had little if not no complaints about EF onwards handbrakes. If done right the handbrakes are great. There may be some out there that would need further investigation, but try that method first.
jamieh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-04-2021, 07:23 PM   #59
Crebe
Starter Motor

Default Re: Why are Ford handbrakes soooo bad???

I had an EF 95 MODEL i bought it near new 1998 with 33k on it. Always used the handbrake when parking was in schmik condition with 230k in 2016 when I sold it. Adjusted it once.
Crebe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2021, 08:02 PM   #60
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Default Re: Why are Ford handbrakes soooo bad???

Nice dig!

I believe a lot is the user. I've had mine adjusted once in 10 years.

Also when I stop, I place the car in natural, take my for of the brake, apply hand brake, then put into "P". Side that awful "clunk" sound when you move from "P".

I hold the button down most of the time when I apply the hand brake as well. 7 clicks and she's on firm. I think people are just too rough.

You're applying a hand brake. Not trying to tighten up truck wheel nuts!

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post